VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Miscellaneous Forum

HDHansen's Profile Photo

Saving Virtual Tourist

by HDHansen Online Now Jan 30, 2017 at 7:05 AM

Are there any efforts being made to save Virtual Tourist?

Quote & Reply
18 Replies
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Saving Virtual Tourist

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 30, 2017 at 8:57 AM

Yes, and no, - the Originals Big G. (Giampiero) and Tilman original founder came to try to help VTers to save their content. They started up a new website, but it is NOT a replacement, but a place to move your content to. It also has a forum

www.Peopleofvt.com

TUTORIALS FOR BACKING UP YOUR VT PAGES ARE LIVE. - Miscellaneous Forum

We are also on Facebook in a closed group called The VT Family Group with just under a 1000 members.

facebook.com/groups/17246288...

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 30, 2017 at 11:31 AM

Erik, G & Tilman's new website...peopleofvt.com...is not for moving our content to. Thewebsite is for accessing the weget program for downloading all your Vt content onto your own computer and has tutorials for using it.The forum is primarily intended for people to help each other with that download process.

G has made it very clear indeed that the website is not intended as a replacement for VT. 

Tripadvisor made the decision to close down VT (with no warning to staff and minimal warning for members) and 'disappear' all its content.

Given that fact, it is clear that Tripadvisor has no intention of 'saving' VT in any way. And, given that Tripadvisor owns the VT 'brand', it seems to me very highly unlikely that they would be willing to sell the name or concept.

So the only thing to do is what Erik suggests above: save your own VT content (you don't have to use G's weget program...there are other methods too. See below.), join the VT Family group on Facebook and get contact info for any individual member you want to stay in touch with.

As well as G's program you can also:

1. Use the 'Download your content' 'button' which the remaining Vt technical staff (just 2 of them, I believe) were finally allowed to insert on our pages a week or so ago. To do this, go to your travelpages and open each in edit mode (click 'Edit page' top left). You'll see the 'button' there and can download all content for that page as a pdf.

2. Use the VT Trip Planner. You can add intros, tips and travelogues to the trip planner and then click the print icon to download a pdf.

3. Highlight and then copy page content to paste into e.g. Word.

4. Use the 'save page as' option from your browser.

Note that neither 1,2 or 3 will save forum replies or VT messages. If you want those you'll need to copy & paste, make screenshots or use the 'save page as' browser option.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 1, 2017 at 2:02 PM

Only, of course, if your Trip Planner works. Mine doesn't.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 1, 2017 at 11:43 PM

Have you contacted Joshua, Sally?

• Trekki's Profile Photo

by Trekki Online Now Feb 4, 2017 at 2:00 AM

Yes, there is also an online petition: change.org/p/tripadvisor-sav...

But .... given the many people in e.g. this FB group "Virtualtourist" (approx. 1000 members), the result of people having signed the online petition (303 at this very moment) is shamefully low..... And of those current 303 I know that at least 10 (who wrote comments there) come from my own external network of friends and family.

• Muscovite's Profile Photo

by Muscovite Online Now Feb 4, 2017 at 1:38 PM

Now 305 :))
    But Ingrid, not everyone knows - I hear for the first time about this petition.
    Why not address UNESCO, too, as someone suggested here?

• HeshamMA's Profile Photo

by HeshamMA Online Now Feb 4, 2017 at 2:27 PM

Now 307 :))
    just knew about it !

• Trekki's Profile Photo

by Trekki Online Now Feb 5, 2017 at 12:34 AM

The petition was posted various times here on VT and on FB (in the Virtualtourist Family Group).
    Thank you.
    You could also send the petition to your friends and family outside of VT and share it on your FB pages (including adding non VT friends and family, so that they have it on their pages too - to get more responses. I did it - see above

• DSwede's Profile Photo

by DSwede Online Now Feb 8, 2017 at 6:05 AM

I didn't know of the petition until today. I've now also signed it

• australia2's Profile Photo

by australia2 Online Now Feb 9, 2017 at 1:35 AM

Sadly, nothing can replace the original VirtualTourist.com.   I've 'kicked off' this Facebook group, link below, just to give friends somewhere to keep in touch. Some others may be doing similar. Good luck. I'm Laurie Edward there in general Facebook, . : .facebook.com/groups/71117370...

• jojes's Profile Photo

by jojes Online Now Feb 18, 2017 at 1:58 PM

Amazing, the petition still is at a mere 355 comments ...

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Feb 18, 2017 at 7:06 PM

Almost 1100 members of The VT Family Group, and not even 400 comments on the petition, - where the hell are you peoples.....?

• Trekki's Profile Photo

by Trekki Online Now Feb 18, 2017 at 10:25 PM

Yes, Jessika and Erik. I am fuming!!! Such a bunch of superficial subjects..... The ones who cared about VT have signed it, but the rest on VT and in this family group is so occupied with posting crap and discussing useless stuff......
    It is the world..... no one cares, not about people, not about anything else......

• Muscovite's Profile Photo

by Muscovite Online Now Feb 19, 2017 at 10:40 AM

Well, I donated Change.org some 10 euro to spread this petition and now get all sorts of promotional info from them every week!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 19, 2017 at 2:27 PM

There'll be an unsubscribe link somewhere on the email, probably in a small font right at the bottom. You can use that to stop promotional stuff.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 19, 2017 at 2:30 PM

I'd expect there to be an unsubscribe link somewhere in the email, probably in a small font right at the bottom. If there is you can use that to stop promotional stuff.

• DSwede's Profile Photo

by DSwede Online Now Feb 19, 2017 at 5:39 PM

Don't feel bad, I didn't give 10Eur, but I still got slammed with emails from them too. I unsubscribed from their lists, but it still took a few days to stop receiving their spam.

• jojes's Profile Photo

by jojes Online Now Yesterday

DSwede wrote:

Don't feel bad, I didn't give 10Eur, but I still got slammed with emails from them too. I unsubscribed from their lists, but it still took a few days to stop receiving their spam.

Same here!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines