Travel Answers
Williams

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Should I make a 7 hour drive from Vegas to Tombstone?

Tombstone Jul 26, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Am doing a road trip from Las Vegas to Chicago and want to visit Santa Fe. Before that though, I am very keen to detour down to Tombstone for some authentic Wild West history. It's a 7 hour drive from Vegas and I was planning on staying 2 nights-the first to recover from the drive, then the next day, seeing what Tombstone has to offer. Would I be wasting my time? Should I just go on to Santa Fe? All opinions welcome!

more
    • Appreciate your comments/advice on proposed itinerary for Rim to Rim GC

Grand Canyon Jul 25, 2016 at 7:26 AM

Our family (myself, wife, 2 kids ages 16 and 13) are planning a Rim2Rim starting at North Rim on Aug 25 over 4 days. Given the very high heat, we plan to hike ~7-8 miles in early morn, then get to our destination, set up camp, rest, and do some short walks around the area. We are all fit and active, and the kids are used to long mountain hikes, although in fairness, not in this sort of heat. We are in no rush and want to enjoy this at a relatively leisurely pace.

Our Itinerary is as follows:
      - Aug 25: hike from North Rim to Cottonwoods Campground. Then visit Ribbon Falls
      - Aug 26: Cottonwoods to Bright Angel CG. Lunch at Phantom Ranch. Short walk on Clear Creek Trail to Tonto Platform. Ranger program at Bright Angel CG.
      - Aug 27: Bright Angel CG to Indian Garden CG. Walk to Plateau Point for sunset
      - Aug 28: Indian Garden CG up to South Rim

A few questions:
      1. We are planning to start by ~5am each morn and reach our destination by 10am. Is this early enough, or should we be looking to start even earlier? The two days where I am thinking earlier might be necessary are Day 2 (when we will across the Canyon through the Box) and Day 4 (when we are hiking up Bright Angel Trail).

2. We are taking 2 tents - I know many folks do not, but given we are camping at the North Rim the night before we start, we don't really have a choice. We have purchased 2 fairly light tents (around 4-5lb each). And a bunch of other hiking accessories like Camelbak Water bladders, pocket stove, collapsible vessels, etc. Aim is to keep each backpack to 20lb max. Does that sound reasonable?

3. Aside from the side trips above (Ribbon Falls, Clear Creek Trail, Plateau Point) and dipping in the Creek, are there any other things we can look to do while in the Canyon? e.g. other small hikes, activities, etc.

4. We are not staying at the Phantom Ranch, but I am assuming we can buy lunch at the cafeteria - is that correct? Do we need a reservation?

5. I expect to take a lot of video in this "trip of a lifetime". I have a couple of spare batteries for my camcorder, but do you think we could recharge at the Phantom Ranch? We are not staying there, but (say) do you think the Front desk could help us if we left our camcorder and charger with them while we have lunch there (subject to 4 above)?

6. We've read a fair bit about the need to enrich our water supply (in bladders) with electrolyte powders. Any suggestions on whether we shd be doing that? if so recommendations? we also saw some electrolyte capsules out tehre to be taken with food but are confused how to take those safely so as to avoid depletion.

Thx Vijay

more
    • Transport to Flagstaff

by Meggsy8 Online Now Jun 20, 2014 at 5:34 AM

We (4 of us) will be staying in Williams for 3 nights in August via Amtrak ex Chicago. Have booked the Grand Canyon railway and we don't have other transport . Our problem seems to be getting transport from Williams to Flagstaff to take our flight out at midday. The shuttle service times are unsuitable . Are taxis available and if so could you advise the approximate cost for 4 people with luggage. Thanks so much

6 Answers Jun 20, 2014 at 11:26 PM
    • lodging in williams

by LyndaNYC Online Now Nov 5, 2013 at 5:24 AM

I'll be traveling solo from NYC to Williams via Amtrak in the Spring of 2014..will take the shuttle from Williams to GC.. I saw on line.. however now, seems I cannot find the place again... Lodging was on the main street, not a large chain motel, but was what seemed a small place..I remember reading it was historic.. dows anyone know the name? Thanks.. Lynda

8 Answers Nov 6, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    • gapiffy's Profile Photo

wild west

by gapiffy Online Now Aug 23, 2011 at 3:57 AM

this could be completely wrong but i thought i read or heard somewhere that at williams arizona a sort of old west show down thing is staged-- you know the cowboys facing each other outside a old saloon etc. does anyone know anything of the sort or where anything tlike this hapens .thanks

5 Answers Aug 23, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    • Transport frm Airport to TheTrain

by TIngersoll Online Now Oct 6, 2007 at 8:56 AM

Having reservations on the Grand Canyon Railway, will a buckboard from TheTrain pick us up at the FlgStaff Airport?

2 Answers Oct 6, 2007 at 10:56 AM