change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Help planning our budget

Chile Oct 9, 2016 at 11:32 AM

We are off to Chile for almost three weeks later this month. We have pre-booked accommodation, internal flights and transfers and lots of tours, so our main expenses will be meals, drinks and souvenirs. I've seen varied recommendations about typical costs so I thought I'd see what VT members suggest. We like to eat in good (but not super fancy high-end) restaurants serving mostly local food, to drink alcohol (but not a huge amount - maybe a couple of drinks per person per evening) and to eat our main meal in the evening. We would usually eat only a very light lunch or skip it altogether if breakfast is large (breakfast is included in all our hotels). We like to buy ourselves a couple of good souvenirs but don't go mad on shopping! We will be spending time in Santiago, San Pedro de Atacama, Puerto Varas, Torres del Paine and Easter Island. Any thoughts please on a sensible daily budget?

Also, what are our chances of being able to use our Visa debit cards in the better restaurants, to save taking everything in cash? We don't want to have to rely on finding ATMs, except perhaps in Santiago. Of course if we decide on using the debit cards we will let our bank know in advance.

Thank you!

• Best time of year to go

Easter Island Oct 7, 2016 at 11:03 AM

When is the best time of year to go? Expense and crowding.

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

Patagonia travel

Punta Arenas Sep 27, 2016 at 6:16 AM

My friend and I are planning a trip in January to Patagonia--unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding a guidebook that focuses on this region and does it well. The initial plan (not yet booked) is to start in Punta Arenas, but is that the best idea? I would be coming from Ushuaia (following an Antarctic cruise) and my friend would be coming from the US, so she's able to fly anywhere. If we do start in Punta Arenas, I'll probably take the bus there from Ushuaia, but maybe we should start somewhere in Argentina?

We are interested in scenery, mild hiking (i.e. not climbing), and wildlife. To be honest I'm not particularly educated about what there is to do down there, how best to organize logistics, possibilities of including both countries in a reasonable time frame, etc. Any assistance is welcome!

• Luggage storage

by chloelo Online Now Sep 10, 2016 at 8:22 PM

I travel from another city to Valparaiso, I plan to spend one day here. And back to Santiago at night. Wanna check if there is luggage storage at the bus stop of Valparaiso?

5 Answers Sep 12, 2016 at 3:26 PM
    • apbeaches's Profile Photo

Valparaiso At Christmas

by apbeaches Online Now Jul 23, 2016 at 4:26 PM

My husband and I expect to be in Valparaiso Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and have booked a hotel in Vina del Mar. What will be happening in the area around this time? Should we book a hotel in Valparsaiso and will our lack of speaking Spanish be an issue?

2 Answers Jul 23, 2016 at 7:36 PM
    • apbeaches's Profile Photo

by apbeaches Online Now Jul 15, 2016 at 9:41 AM

We will be arriving in Valparaiso on Christmas Eve; will restaurants, shops or anything be opened? We will be spending two nights in Vina Del Mar; will there be things do do Christmas time? Beaches? Any holiday suggestions?

• One day from Valpraiso to Santiago

by aurorankatu Online Now May 24, 2016 at 8:06 AM

What is the best way to get from Valpraiso port to Santiago and
      is there any place in Santiago center to leave luggage safely while spending the afternoon touring the city? We have an 11 p.m. flight back to the states and would love to see the city first.
      Thank you.

1 Answer May 24, 2016 at 8:17 AM
    • CEP1863's Profile Photo

What is the best way to get from Valpariso to the airport in Santiago?

by CEP1863 Online Now Apr 25, 2016 at 4:23 AM

Can anyone provide info as to the best way to get from the dock in Valpariso to the airport in Santiago? We will be arriving on a cruise ship in the morning and need to know how much would a taxi cost and how long will it take to get to the airport.

Many thanks,

5 Answers Apr 28, 2016 at 7:01 PM
    • Bus terminal in Valpo to VTP passenger terminal

by travelsabound Online Now Jan 22, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Do you have to take a cab onto the premises? Or can you walk into the area?

2 Answers Feb 10, 2016 at 6:49 PM
    • Metro questions mostly

by spamiepamie Online Now Dec 29, 2015 at 5:01 PM

Want to find out more about how to take the metro (Merval) from Baron to Puerto. I think it's about 300 Chilean pesos in early afternoon, but are there ticket sellers at booths or machines to use? I may not have any Chilean pesos, and have been told there is an ATM in the VTP (passenger terminal for cruisers, located near Baron metro station). Does anyone know if that is true, and if so, if I could get just a small amount of pesos by using them? I'll only have a few hours to sightsee and mostly just need local money for the ascensors and perhaps roundtrip on metro.

Also, is it really only about a 30 minute walk from the VTP to Plaza Sotomayor?

I posted in Cruise Critic, as lots of cruisers go through the VTP, but so far nobody has an answer for me. I appreciate any help you can give me!

5 Answers Jan 1, 2016 at 1:44 PM
    • Transportation and Tour

by Oliphant4 Online Now Nov 10, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Does anyone know of a company that will provide transportation and tour from Santiago, Chile to the cruise terminal?

1 Answer Nov 10, 2015 at 12:33 PM
    • How to get to Valparaiso from Santiago

by ElizabethP9 Online Now Jul 31, 2015 at 6:07 AM

I am coming to Chile in March and want to enjoy Santiago and then travel to Valparaiso and take a tour before getting on the boat the next day. What is the best way to get from Santiago to Valparaiso?

2 Answers Jul 31, 2015 at 12:04 PM
    • Spending Just A Day

by GiannaMaria Online Now Dec 13, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Have a full day to spend in Valparaiso. Since my interests are in taking pictures of colorful homes and panoramic city views where would you recommend going and how best to get around town?

4 Answers Dec 15, 2014 at 8:21 AM
    • Drop off luggage possibility at the cruiseterminal in Valparaiso ?

by fabianbrochard Online Now Dec 6, 2014 at 4:10 AM

We arrive by cruise (HAL Zaandam) at 22nd of december and we would like to know if we can drop off our luggage at VPT for halfd a day? So we can visit alparaiso/Vina del Mar.

If not possible to drop off our luggage at VTP is there another area to drop off our luggage?

With kind regards,

Fabian Brochard

3 Answers Dec 9, 2014 at 7:07 PM
    • Valparaiso Cruise terminal to Santiago hotel with tour

by Patt123 Online Now Nov 19, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Need to transfer to Santiago hotel from Valparaiso cruise terminal but would like a tour of Valparaiso/local areas first.
      There will be 4 of us with luggage.

4 Answers Nov 25, 2014 at 11:15 AM
    • transfer from Valparaiso cruise port to Santiago

by bia57 Online Now Oct 13, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Anyone knows a company that does transfers from the port to a hotel in Santiago?

1 Answer Oct 13, 2014 at 9:53 PM
    • Using MerVal from Cruise Terminal

by sscjeat-sourdough Online Now Oct 2, 2014 at 10:15 AM

1 - Please confirm that the MerVal Baron station is closest to the cruise terminal.

2 - What is process / procedure to purchase tickets for MerVal at the Baron station?

3 - On a Sunday, are there machines or people selling tickets or both?

4 - Is cash required to purchase tickets?

5 - Is it possible to purchase tickets using credit cards?

6 - Is it possible to purchase the Tarjeta Diaria/Turista at the Baron station?

7 - Is it possible to purchase the fare for adulto mayor at the Baron station?

8 - What is required to prove age for adulto mayor fare? Is a U.S.A. passport sufficient?

Thanks for help - Jon

2 Answers Oct 14, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    • looking for a qualified Spanish tutor or School in Valparaiso

by kategabriele Online Now Aug 20, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Can anyone recommend a tutor of Spanish in Valparaiso? I am looking for someone who has some experience and education and can teach above the intermediate level

3 Answers Sep 3, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    • Tour & Transfer

by RonHall Online Now Aug 14, 2014 at 11:39 AM

We're arriving in Valparaiso in mid December by cruise ship and will need a transfer to the Santiago airport. Interested in a stop at wine country on the way. Would like contact info for companies which provide this service.

1 Answer Aug 27, 2014 at 12:21 AM
    • romar1971's Profile Photo

Hotel near cruise ship terminal

by romar1971 Online Now Jul 26, 2014 at 3:55 AM

What is the best hotel to stay in for proximity to the cruise terminal but in a nice area? We will be there for an overnight stay before our cruise and will want to have a good meal and a drink and a bit of sightseeing.

1 Answer Jul 26, 2014 at 5:12 AM
    • romar1971's Profile Photo

public transport from Santiago to Valparaiso

by romar1971 Online Now Apr 27, 2014 at 3:45 PM

What are my options for travel between Santiago and Valparaiso with suitcases? There will be 4 of us going on a cruise next March

6 Answers Oct 14, 2014 at 8:53 AM
    • Weekend bus schedule

by Chemnut Online Now Jan 8, 2014 at 6:23 AM

Do buses run as frequently on Saturday or Sunday between Santiago and Valparaiso as during the weekdays?

2 Answers Jan 8, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    • Limo transport Valparaiso to Santiago

by bob6104 Online Now Oct 29, 2013 at 4:59 AM

I need point to point limo transfer, from the B&B where I'll be staying in Valparaiso to a hotel in Santiago.

1 Answer Oct 29, 2013 at 8:01 AM
    • Valparaiso post cruise

by jagannathsud Online Now Oct 15, 2013 at 5:09 PM

ho to arrange Valparaiso post cruise tour+hotel+transfer package for two
      Jawn 8, 2013 AM arrival Valparaiso port arrival
      jJan 10, 2013 santiago airport in morning departure

1 Answer Oct 20, 2013 at 4:01 AM
    • Transfer to Valparaiso from Santiago Airport

by redlands Online Now Sep 29, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Hi. My flight arrives into Santiago airport at midnight. I am travelling alone. What would be best way to get direct to a hotel in Valparaiso at a reasonable cost. Any assistance much appreciated! How much should I expect to pay? Thanks...

5 Answers Oct 1, 2013 at 11:58 PM
    • diana_renou's Profile Photo

How to get Manoir Atkinson hotel from the buses station?

by diana_renou Online Now Sep 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM

How to get Manoir Atkinson hotel from the buses station? it is far to the funicular? Many thanks for any advice!!!

2 Answers Oct 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    • Tour from Valpraiso port to Santiago

by pebullard Online Now Sep 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM

We (2) will need transport from our 1/18/14 disembarkation Princess cruise port to our Santiago hotel. What are the options/costs/lengths of tours as we will have our luggage with us? We would like to see some major sites in both cities. Thank you - Pat

2 Answers Sep 3, 2013 at 3:36 AM
    • Foxee's Profile Photo

Tansport from Cruise Port to Airport Santiago

by Foxee Online Now Aug 1, 2013 at 7:13 AM

How long does it take to clear customs at the Cruise terminal , get to the airport in Santiago and cost by taxi or private car. Can anyone help with an address for a taxi or private car service. Thanks

4 Answers Aug 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

by DRPJAZZ Online Now Jul 18, 2013 at 9:57 PM

2 Answers Jul 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    • transportation

by kemolotko Online Now Dec 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM

coming to Chile in Feb.2013 and need transportation from Valparaiso ship terminal to central Santiago bus or train?

4 Answers Feb 2, 2013 at 5:29 PM
    • kags06's Profile Photo

Crat Hotel

by kags06 Online Now Sep 6, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Has anyone heard of Crat Hotel in Valparaiso, chile. If so is there a website. I want to find the location on a map. Thank you!

5 Answers Sep 10, 2012 at 5:43 AM
    • Bus Transportation

by DianeDe Online Now Jun 13, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Is there bus transportation from Valparaiso Ferry Terminal to RQ Central Suites in Santiago?

1 Answer Jun 16, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    • kags06's Profile Photo

valparaiso hotel

by kags06 Online Now May 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Hello, anyone been to Hostal Morgan or in that vicinity. What is there to do in Valparaiso. Does anyone know how to get from a hotel to the cruise terminal?
      Best restuarants to eat at.. Any info would be great!! Thanks!

1 Answer Aug 13, 2012 at 4:31 PM