change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Sim Card for my US phone?

Iceland Oct 14, 2016 at 12:06 PM

Hello all,

So my trip is fat approaching and I just remembered that I need to figure out a phone while in Iceland. I was thinking of either (a) getting new SIM card for my phone, or (b) trying to find a 4g wifi unit. I like the idea of the wifi unit just because it allows me to continue to use my regular phone number... making it easier for those form home to get in touch if needed. But, it appears that companies such as Trawire don't have anything available for my dates. So, where might I find a SIM card that I might be able to use for data, and for moderately priced calls home?

• Iceland in Late October?

Iceland Sep 26, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Hello all,

I have just stumbled across this fantastic board and am excited to read pages and pages of posts while I research!

It looks like I may be taking a solo journey to Iceland towards the end of October (around the 18th or so for about a week). I know that I'm pretty far into the shoulder season, but I was hoping to drive the ring road (or at least a good portion of it, as I know it is recommended to take longer). My main goal will be to just be out on the road driving, seeing Iceland, and filling up as many memory cards as I can. Unfortunately, my budget precludes group tours so I'll just have to see what is there on my own! I'm hoping that there may be some fall colors in the ground cover to bring a different look to my images as well. So maybe some clear nights, maybe some fall colors, but hopefully some solitude and travel.

With that in mind, are there any specific things I should be aware of? I'm generally a camping type of person, but realize that that is most likely not an option at that time of year. Might it be best to find hostels? Are many hostels open at that time of year? I'm a confident winter driver here in the States but realize that winter in Iceland is a different beast all together. Between possibility of snow and high winds, are there areas that you might suggest I avoid?

Any tips, pointers, thoughts, links to threads I may have overlooked would be much appreciated! Thanks.