Travel Answers
Tateyama

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• appleseed81's Profile Photo

Large luggage storage service (not locker)

Tokyo May 21, 2016 at 9:32 PM

Hi, does anyone know of any luggage storage service counters (not lockers) for 4 nights near to Shibuya/Ueno train stations? Or any other major train stations in Tokyo central?
      Thanks!

more
    • Melanie_Putra's Profile Photo

Buses to/from Sapporo Kokusai

Sapporo May 16, 2016 at 5:22 AM

In February I plan to go skiing at Sapporo Kokusai Resort for two days while staying the two nights at Jozankei Onsen.
      Feb 9: Depart from Sapporo straight to the ski field. After skiing, proceed to Jozankei to check in
      Feb 10: Skiing
      Feb 11: Check-out from Jozankei, taking the complimentary hotel shuttle back to Sapporo

Prior to the skiing trip I'll be staying in Susukino. Thus, would prefer to board the bus/coach to Sapporo Kokusai from Susukino rather than from Sapporo Station. I read that I can board the Sapporo Resort Liner from Sapporo Tokyu REI Hotel in Susukino (08:15).

Q1. Since the hotel sits at the corner, would anyone know the coach picks up passengers from Tsukisamu Dori or the side road of the hotel?

Q2. The website states the return ticket between Sapporo and Kokusai costing ¥2,500. Can I just reserve a one way ticket? I see the online reservation, but it is not yet opened for booking. There's also ¥4980 bus & chairlift package but for a day return trip, Purchased on the bus. If I want to buy this yet I need to do a reservation, how does it work? I will require ski rental and
      lift passes for 2 days.

Q3. I see that I can also take the Jotetsu buses from Sapporo Tokyu REI Hotel in Susukino departing at 07:07 and 08:07 on weekday mornings on the Sapporo Kokusai website (sapporo-kokusai.jp/en/access...).
      a. How much would the one way ticket for the Jotetsu buses cost?
      b. Can I reserve a seat on these buses? Don't fancy standing for an hour plus...
      c. Is there a luggage compartment under the belly of these buses? I will be carrying a medium sized trolley bag. Thus, hoping to store it in the luggage compartment.
      d. I read that the Kappa Liner requires reservation, but does it go to Sapporo Kokusai?

Q4. From the Sapporo Kokusai website I see the last departure for Daiichi Kanko/Jotetsu bus from the ski field to Jozankei Onsen on weekdays being 16:30. Is there another bus departing later than 16:30 for Jozankei Onsen?

Tq, Melanie

more
    • Authentic lodge homestay

Asahikawa May 5, 2016 at 3:10 AM

Hi fellow travellers,

Does anyone have any similar accommodation suggestions for authentic experiences like this one? Looking for a homestay base with real home cooked food for exploring Daisetsuzan National Park.

en.japantravel.com/hokkaido/...

Thanks!

more
    • Best location for hiking in the Japanese Alps

Matsumoto Yesterday

I am going to travel to Japan in August (staying there for 10 days). I will land in Tokyo, which I have already visited in the past. This time I would like to visit the Japanese Alps, among other places. I am planning to spend 3 to 6 days there (not sure yet). What I am looking for is some small town / location in the mountains that:
      - Can be used as a good base for hiking. I am looking for easy hikes in a beautiful natural environment (with nice views, possibly). 5 hours long hikes maximum.
      - Is (possibly) a good example of rural, bucolic Japan.
      - It is located in the Japanese Alps (or, in general, in the Nagano/Gifu region)
      Do you know what could be the place I am looking for?
      I am having some difficulties in finding comprehensive information about similar locations. For now, I have found something about Chūbu-Sangaku National Park (Kamikōchi), Jōshinetsu Kogen National Park (Karuizawa, which seems to be a little more to the East with respect to the core of the Japanse Alps) and Takayama (which seems to be a little too far from the actual mountain hikes). Also Tsumago-juku seems to be attractive but not really close to the mountains. Can you suggest some of these? Do you have other suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Andrea from Italy

more
    • Best of Obon - when and where?

Tokyo May 9, 2016 at 3:22 PM

Hi there! my Fiancee and I are planning a trip to Tokyo and Kyoto this August; which happens to coincide with the Obon festival. I've been trying to look at where to go to get a great experience of Obon in its true colours. I've always wanted to experience a Japanese night festival; with Kimono and street food and goldfish catching, fireworks etc :)
      I've been having trouble finding solid dates and locations for where some of these festivals will be.
      Can anyone let me know when they are?

more
    • Hokkaido Jingu

Sapporo May 6, 2016 at 9:23 PM

I will be arriving in Hokkaido on 10 May. I would like to visit Hokkaido Jingu before heading for Hakodate. Any bus from Chitose Airport that will stop at Hokkaido Jingu? Which is the most convenient way to go to Hokkaido Jingu? I will be taking a bus down to Hakodate after the visit to Hokkaido Jingu. I have a suitcase to carry. Where is the best place to store my luggage taking into account of the bus travel to Hakodate later that day? I have checked that It's 15 minutes walk if I take subway but only 1 minute's walk if I take a bus. However, I don't know where to take the bus and I don't know how long the bus journey time is. Grateful if someone can help.

more
    • Japan Alps Itinerary Review

Japan May 4, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Hi everyone, could you please advise whether the following itinerary is feasible and please let me know if you have any tips or suggestions? I have only 5 days to travel and will be coming from and returning to Osaka. Also is there a pass that would cover most of these places? Thank you in advance for any feedback received.

Day 1: Travel through Nagoya to Matsumoto
      Overnight in Matsumoto

Day 2: Alpine Route day-trip finishing in Toyama
      Overnight in Toyama

Day 3: Kamikochi and Okuhida
      Overnight in Okuhida

Day 4: Takayama and Shirakawago
      Overnight in Takayama / Shirakawago (which is recommended?)

Day 5: Return to Osaka through Nagoya

more
    • sanggano's Profile Photo

JR 6-day Pass?

Toyama May 24, 2016 at 8:25 AM

Hi VTers. What is the best value train ticket/ pass available? My schedule is: Day 1 (Nagoya Airport to Takayama); Day 3 (Takayama to Toyama); Day 4 (Toyama to Nanto/ Johana Station and back to Toyama Station); Day 6 (Toyama to Nagoya Station). Appreciate your information.

more
    • psincioco's Profile Photo

ANy One who wants to Travel guide us in Japan?

Japan May 18, 2016 at 11:23 PM

ANy one who wants to guide us for a 7 days trip in Japan?

more
    • Room for a couple of hours

Tokyo-to May 7, 2016 at 5:35 AM

I am arriving in Tokyo Narita at around 8 AM, my apartment though won't be ready before 3 PM. What are my options to get a shower, change clothes in the mean time? The apartment is in the area around Okubo Station.
      Thank you for your opinions.

more
    • Camillecola's Profile Photo

What to pack in May

Tokyo Apr 28, 2016 at 11:51 AM

I'm heading to Japan the last two weeks in May. We are staying on the east coast of Chiba. What is the weather expected to be like in late May? Is it colder along the coast?
      Thank you!

more
    • drjlim's Profile Photo

Universal Keihan Tower to/from Kansai

Osaka May 21, 2016 at 3:40 AM

Will be arriving Osaka 6am June 5..how do I get to the hotel from Kansai airport? Also, what can my fellow VT members advice as to how I can get to Kansai from the hotel with a 10am ETD on June 10? Bus to airport will leave at a much better time. So probably train would be a better option. If so, which one am I to take? I will be bringing a large bag with me. Thanks.

more
    • Kyoto - pls advise about planned itinerary!

Kyoto May 16, 2016 at 8:27 AM

Hello,

We are a group of 8, including 2 seniors and 4 young children.

This is our tentative itinerary for a long weekend in May. I would really appreciate some advice to firm up the details please.

THURS night arrive and stay at airport hotel.

FRI - go to Nara for half a day, then Kyoto. Check in at Gion accommodation. Visit Fushimu shrine.

SAT - Explore the Higashiyama area - Kiyomizu temple, Some of the Philosophers path, maybe some other temples. Gion district.

SUN - Arashiyama area in the morning. Nijojo in the afternoon

MON - go to Osaka (Namba) to eat street foods (Kuromon Ichiba market) and shop, fly out that night.

I am most concerned to work out transport arrangements first, so I can buy passes or book a vehicle.

1. I have read that the trains to Nara from KIX is not so easy and our luggage may be a problem. Would it be a good alternative to rent a car for the journey?

It looks like it is under 1.5hrs drive to Nara from KIX and then another 1hr to Kyoto, where we will return the car and use local transport.

2. If we do this, should we try to visit Arashiyama by car as well, given it is the furtherest attraction on our itinerary? Would there be parking available in the early afternoon on a Friday?

3. If the self drive is not a good idea, which would be the best pass to cover travel from KIX (via Nara) to Kyoto and back (via Osaka)?

4. Please suggest any changes that might work better - should we skip Nara to simplify the transport arrangements or to spend more time in Kyoto or Osaka? Any attractions we should add or skip?

5. I've heard traffic jams can be a problem in Kyoto. Are taxis or buses affected?

I will finetune the planning for these in the coming week, but appreciate any advice you have:

6. Suggestions of foods or places to eat, would be most welcome. Would I need to book ahead, since we are a large group?

7. I am just planning to see the bamboo grove in Arashiyama. I know there is a monkey park, but we're not so keen.

Would there be enough time afterwards to visit the Nijojo in the afternoon? I was thinking the nightingale floors would be interesting to see and the castle would be a good example of a different side of Japan to the temples.

Thanks very much in advance!

more
    • Help With Mapping Out Sights To See In Tokyo

Tokyo May 3, 2016 at 5:23 PM

I'm going to be in Tokyo for 3 days and I don't really know the area, and I was wondering if someone could help me figure out which sights that I want to see are closest to each other. I'm staying at the Park Hyatt in Shinjuku and I plan to buy a subway pass to help me get around for my two full days there. On my 3rd and last day, before heading to the airport, I plan to go to the Tsukiji Fish Market. Based on the list below, which things should I do on Day 1 and what should I do on Day 2 so that I'm not spending my whole trip on the subway.

Day One: Tokyo Plaza Omotesando Harajuku, The Meiji Shrine (Harajuku)

Day Two: Ginza district, Jindai-ji Temple

I'd also like to go to these places but don't know which are closest to Ginza or Harajuku:
      Asakusa & the Senso-ji temple
      The Miraikan & Edo-Tokyo museums
      The Tokyo Skytree

more
    • Tokyo Transport

Tokyo May 18, 2016 at 2:57 AM

We are traveling to Japan in September/October for 1 month and will spend 8 nights in Tokyo (flying in to Narita). What will be the best value Metro/subway pass to buy for this period and were is the best location to buy them

more
    • sanggano's Profile Photo

Nagoya Station - luggage locker

Nagoya May 1, 2016 at 2:17 AM

i need to leave my luggage at Nagoya Station on June 1 at around 10 am. Are there lockers at the
      station?

more
    • LesleighR's Profile Photo

accomodation

Japan May 4, 2016 at 10:30 PM

going in August to Osaka from Tokyo unsure of how long we will stay in Tokyo ,so will we be able to get last minute accommodation at a reasonable price. Thank you

more
    • Where is the wifi

Japan May 17, 2016 at 8:59 PM

I will be making a round trip with a few mates to Taiwan, Japan then Korea. Is it easy to find free wifi there on the go? It will be a kinda spontaneous trip and we plan on leaving the city to expore with GPS. I don't want to get SIM cards as I mainly communicate through twitter or skype anyway. Would it be safer to rent routers with unlimited wifi we can split. There are so many router rental sites to choose from in each country, anyone has good recommendations in terms of coverage/ price? Or better yet, somewhere i can settle all at once in Aussie? Haha thanks!

more
    • 8 Days in Japan: Tokyo/Hakone/Kyoto? (or skip Hakone?)

Japan May 1, 2016 at 8:18 PM

Hi! My husband and I will be in Japan in May and are choosing between two itineraries; wondering which one people think is best option? We are both in our mid-30s from the US. I will be traveling for work in Europe and in Japan for the two weeks prior to this trip, so looking forward to something not OVERLY hectic, hence my question...

We are considering either 3 nights in Tokyo, 4 nights in Kyoto or 2 nights in Tokyo/2 nights in Hakone/3 nights in Kyoto.

My question is whether it will be too stressful/too much traveling to include Hakone? It looks amazing but not sure it's worth so much movement. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!

more