Travel Answers
Sydney

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• zaffaran's Profile Photo

How to get to 790 George Street, Haymarket?

by zaffaran Online Now Nov 27, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Dear friends,
      can anyone tell me how to get to Backpackers from the airport by public transport? We'll be quite on a budget and a bit tired after a 23-hour-long journey and wouldn't like to wander around. ;-)
      Thanks a lot for your help,
      Anita

5 Answers Nov 28, 2016 at 3:24 AM
    • Motorhome in Sydney

by habenichts Online Now Nov 23, 2016 at 6:04 AM

Where can I stand with a motorhome in sydney for a couple days around new years eve ?
      Thx in advance

1 Answer Nov 23, 2016 at 8:48 PM
    • TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo

New Years Eve Hotel/Home/AirBnB viewing vantage point recommendations

by TheTravelSlut Online Now Sep 28, 2016 at 9:22 PM

I'll be with 4 other American adults the week prior to and a few days after New Years in Sydney and there primarily for the New Years celebration.

We are most interested in ideas for viewing the fireworks---preferably from a balcony of a high rise hotel, condominium or home. I would be happy to spend the week outside the CBD or Sydney proper except for New Years Eve where I would not mind splurging on a prime viewing accomodation for one or two nights.

Any suggestions outside the ordinary would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

9 Answers Oct 19, 2016 at 4:26 PM
    • help with travel plans hervey bay to sydney

by rackcatt Online Now Sep 20, 2016 at 4:25 PM

Doing a road trip family of 5 . From port macquerie i would like to visit hunter valley ( but seems to be very expensive !) THEN 2 nights in Blue mountains, two nights in Sydney...got fab deal. Just rather stressed about driving to Hyde park from blue mountains !!
      After sydney we have 5 nights to get back to brisbane.
      Where to then ? port stephens, or central coast ?
      Perhaps we should do HUnter on way back and port stehens way down ?
      Ideally i would have liked a base in central coast to visit sydney , via boat ot train...any suggestions ? at a stalemate with my plans now ....

7 Answers Oct 10, 2016 at 3:08 PM
    • What Are The Best PLaces To Stay Near Bondi Beach?

by Boelcke1916 Online Now Sep 11, 2016 at 9:18 PM

I ant to know what would be the best places to stay at in or near Bondi Beach, in Sydney, Australia? My wife and I are coming to Australia for our second trip to there in our marriage. We stay near Central Train Station last time, but want to be near Bondi Beach or Coogee Beach this time, if possible. We can pay up to $250 a night. We prefer services apartments, but hotels are also fine.

2 Answers Sep 16, 2016 at 9:04 AM
    • What does a bus charter services cost??

by rozerbys Online Now Sep 6, 2016 at 1:27 AM

Hi everyone. Have a big group and so looking to hire a 40-seater bus and a driver for a couple of days when we visit Sydney. We are planning to do day trips out of Sydney as well Canberra city..Any Recommendations?

Thank you in advance.

2 Answers Sep 6, 2016 at 9:56 PM
    • margsch's Profile Photo

Bus stops

by margsch Online Now Sep 3, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Hi there Sydneysiders, if I catch a bus to Mosman are the stops displayed or announced? And do I swipe the Opal card before boarding the bus?

8 Answers Sep 9, 2016 at 12:50 AM
    • Scavenger Hunt Help Needed At The Harbour Bridge!

by dibrewski Online Now Aug 1, 2016 at 10:14 AM

I participate in a massive international scavenger hunt (gishwhes.com) that raises a lot of money for charity (therandomact.org) and need someone in Sydney to take a watermelon (painted, can be badly painted, of a dictator) to the Harbour Bridge by Saturday and take a picture! Can anyone help a girl out?

Interstate visitor with Seniors Card

by margsch Online Now Jul 27, 2016 at 9:51 PM

I will fly into Mascot and catch the train to Central. For getting around Sydney do I need to buy an opalcard seeing I only have 3 days or is the Seniors day pass different? Where do i buy the ticket I need? If I do buy an opal card for seniors do i validate every time I board or disembark from a train/tram?

many thanks.

9 Answers Aug 4, 2016 at 7:15 AM
    • Wine Tasting in/near Sydney

by dlpeterson Online Now Jul 26, 2016 at 6:05 PM

We are traveling to Sydney for 5 days arriving Aug 3. We would like to do some wine tasting and are interested in areas for day trips by car or train/bus. We do not like the tours as they try to get you to buy at their specific tasting rooms, gift shops, candy shops, etc. We would appreciate any suggestions for wine tasting areas. We do have a driver who will not be drinking unless someone can suggest where we can also find a driver. We are looking for quality wines that we can purchase for shipping home.

7 Answers Jul 30, 2016 at 6:22 PM
    • aussirose's Profile Photo

Big Sydney Meet in October - Are you coming?

by aussirose Online Now Jul 1, 2016 at 3:08 AM

Hey all. Well it's only 3 months until the next Aussie meet, this time in Sydney - early October. Numbers this year have fallen. I guess that is because of the current economical climate and declining regulars here on VT.
      So now we have 21 signed up. We are excited to have vt'ers from Florida, UK and Malaysia join us! And we are equally excited to show you guys around :o)
      Second part of the meet is the first ever VT Cruise. We will be sailing out of the stunning Sydney Harbour early morning on the Cruise ship, Carnival Spirit for an 8 night cruise to the islands of the South Pacific. Imagine a bunch of fun loving VT'ers on a Cruise ship...... ok..... you can stop imagining now.... lol ;o)
      We have 11 signed up for that which is a fine crowd :o)
      Ok.... my question is...... Are you thinking of joining us?
      If so, we would like for you to think seriously about this and let me know for the Sydney bit and TheTravelSlut know for the cruise bit. Gauging from your responses, we will then make some final decisions in relation to day trips and costs etc.
      So I guess you have been itching to see the links with all the info? ...
      VT Meeting
      VT Meeting
      Cheers,
      Ann :o)

6 Answers Jul 2, 2016 at 8:13 PM
    • Rachyccc's Profile Photo

Bnb apartment recommended location

by Rachyccc Online Now Jun 11, 2016 at 6:32 AM

Hi, I'm going Sydney in end of August. 2 ladies free & easy trip, don't intend to drive. Would need recommendations on the location I should stay which are near to central and public transports. I'm looking at Airbnb apartment during the trip, Cheers!

6 Answers Aug 4, 2016 at 10:29 AM
    • Rachyccc's Profile Photo

Best zoo in Sydney

by Rachyccc Online Now Jun 10, 2016 at 11:55 PM

May i know where is the best zoo in Sydney ? Can touch koala kangaroo etc? Thank u!

6 Answers Jun 11, 2016 at 5:47 AM
    • PatriciaEncarnacion's Profile Photo

5 nights Sydney with toddler July 2016

by PatriciaEncarnacion Online Now May 23, 2016 at 6:40 PM

Hi! Can anybody help with a 5 day itinerary in Sydney? :) I will be travelling with my husband and 15 month old during winter (July 8-13). We'll be staying at a hotel at the CBD area. Should we get opal cards at the airport terminal upon arrival too to get around and see the sights? Should we get a can or just ride a train from the airport terminal going to our hotel?

Thank you in advance!

5 Answers May 25, 2016 at 12:54 AM
    • Florie's Profile Photo

Diving from Cairns or Port Douglas

by Florie Online Now Apr 22, 2016 at 8:07 AM

I am unable to make up my mind. Cairns seems to be a heavy tourist hub for diving the reef. I am leaning towards Port Douglas, a more quiet location. Your opinion will be highly appreciated. Thank you to all for taking the time to respond.

3 Answers Apr 22, 2016 at 10:45 AM
    • Sydney Lodging Recommendation

by curious_yank Online Now Mar 20, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Can anyone recommend a good budget hotel in Sydney with access to public transportation?

8 Answers May 10, 2016 at 5:45 PM
    • sbergen's Profile Photo

Cheapest Transportation from Airport to Hotel to Cruise Terminal

by sbergen Online Now Feb 23, 2016 at 11:54 AM

My wife and I are 2 seniors travelling from the Sydney Kingsford Airport to The York hotel at 5 York Street with a carry-on and a checked bag. What is the cheapest transportation? We are in Sydney for 5 days before we leave on a cruise ship so will also need transportation to the cruise terminal as well. We are very mobile so walking/handling large bags is not a problem.

3 Answers Feb 25, 2016 at 2:16 PM
    • aussirose's Profile Photo

Planning a Sydney holiday in October 2016? Please join us for the Big Downunder VT Meet.

by aussirose Online Now Jan 27, 2016 at 2:24 AM

We have a Big Sydney Meet planned for October. It commences on the 7th October and we already have 25 VT members and friends signed up. If you are visiting Sydney around this time, then please come and join us. What better way to be introduced to Australia than meeting a bunch of fun loving VT members from all around the world in Australia's most picturesque city, Sydney!! -
      Roll up, Roll up! The 9th Big Downunder VT Meet is set for October. That is in less than 9 months yea!! :o)
      The meet will be in 2 parts. The Big Sydney Meet starts on the 7th October and we already have 25 VT members and friends signed up. If you have ever thought of visiting Australia then Sydney should be your first point of call. What better way to be introduced to Australia than meeting a bunch of fun loving VT members from all around the world in Australia's most picturesque city, Sydney!! -
      VT Meeting
      The second part will be a Big Cruise sailing out of the spectacular Sydney Harbour destined for a Pacific Island holiday. We already have 25 VT members and friends signed up for this. This will be the FIRST EVER VT CRUISE! so you shouldn't miss out..... right? ;o) Carnival Cruises will never be the same again..... haha ;o)
      VT Meeting
      For those that are adventurous.... we have a second part to the meet. This involves a Big Cruise sailing out of the spectacular Sydney Harbour destined for the islands of the South Pacific. We already have 16 VT members and friends signed up for this. This will be the FIRST EVER VT CRUISE! so you shouldn't miss out..... right? ;o) Carnival Cruises will never be the same again..... haha ;o)
      VT Meeting
      For those that are planning to visit Australia this year then this may very well make up your mind for you.
      Any questions.... please email me here on vt.
      Cheers,
      Ann.

1 Answer Jan 27, 2016 at 2:30 AM
    • stamporama's Profile Photo

Safe area to stay in?

by stamporama Online Now Jan 26, 2016 at 7:28 AM

Hey guys! My wife and I are due to visit Sydney this March and I'd like to get some advice on which area of the city is OK to stay at an AirBnB place. I've read the 'Dangers and Warnings' page and one poster wrote to avoid Surry Hills, Chippendale, Woolloomooloo and Waterloo. If that's true then where does that leave me? I'd like somewhere that's an easy walk to public transport and some reasonably priced eateries. Thanks for any replies!

16 Answers Feb 3, 2016 at 1:09 AM
    • crazypaws's Profile Photo

Trains - reservations needed?

by crazypaws Online Now Dec 24, 2015 at 2:49 AM

Hi,

I'll be travelling across Australia in June 2016, arriving at Sydney airport on a domestic flight from Cairns, on a Sunday around 4pm. I plan on buying the Opal card, and take the train directly to the Blue Mountains.
      Do you need to make a booking for the train at a specific time? Or can you just hop on whenever suits you (like you can in Europe)? I can't find this information on their website. If bookings are essential, I'll need to calculate sufficient time between landing at the train departing, just in case my flight is delayed...

Thanks!

6 Answers Dec 28, 2015 at 7:49 AM
    • airport trasportation

by robbowie Online Now Dec 9, 2015 at 11:45 AM

can anyone recommend a company that will pick up 6 people with large luggage from the international airport or maybe you can do it yourself for $$

6 Answers Apr 14, 2016 at 6:38 PM
    • sanggano's Profile Photo

Hardware in CBD

by sanggano Online Now Nov 23, 2015 at 4:51 PM

Hi. Would anyone know where DIY hardwares/ general hardware/ garden and pool supplies are located in Sydney CBD? Many thanks in advance.

3 Answers Dec 6, 2015 at 1:53 AM
    • Tours in Sydney

by barbara33london Online Now Nov 8, 2015 at 7:17 AM

Hi.
      My husband and I are going to be in Sydney in mid Feb 2016. We are going to visit The Rocks, do a harbour cruise, climb the bridge and do a tour of the opera house and probably see a concert. Can anyone recommend any interesting walking tours and museums we are very interested in the on-going immigration to Sydney, especially anything to do with Capt Cook and also "the £10 ticket in the 1960s from the UK".
      Thank you.

13 Answers Nov 24, 2015 at 9:03 AM
    • Hip-Hop/R&B in Sydney

by LaLaH Online Now Oct 14, 2015 at 1:31 PM

Where can I go to hear/lounge/groove to Hip-Hop/R&B music in Sydney? Underground, local acts, open mics?? I am a first time visitor to Sydney from the U.S. arriving in 8days! Please help!

Many, many thanks!!

2 Answers May 3, 2016 at 3:04 AM
    • maggiolina's Profile Photo

3 days itinerary

by maggiolina Online Now Oct 12, 2015 at 8:24 AM

Could you suggest an itinerary for a 3 days stay in Sydney? I already gave a look at VT travel guides but there are not itineraries yet. I would like to enjoy a couple of beaches, a typical restaurant and market, featherdale park as I understand it is the one where you get more in touch with animals(is this correct?). I would also do a whale watching tour but 20th november seems to be too late. I know 3 days is a limited time so if I have to choose I'd rather open spaces than museums or malls.
      Thankyou all for your suggestions.

1 Answer Oct 12, 2015 at 12:50 PM
    • Which is better? All Occasion Cruises or Vagabond?

by WendyHiggins Online Now Oct 12, 2015 at 2:24 AM

I am planning to make reservations for my father and mother for Melbourne Cup this coming November 3. Which one offers the best in terms of food, prices, and etc based on your experience? We haven't tried any harbour cruise in Sydney and this will be our first time if ever.
      I only have 2 choices:
      All Occasion Cruises
      Vagabond

Regards,
      Wendy

1 Answer Oct 12, 2015 at 9:40 AM
    • What to wear in Sydney in early November

by frankenstein7 Online Now Oct 9, 2015 at 4:31 AM

I will be heading to Sydney and Blue Mountains for the period of 5 Nov to 20 Nov this year and I wonder what I should wear for the weather during that period of time. Will it be alright for me to wear t-shirts and bermudas there or should I cover up more? I hope you all could give me an idea of what I should wear and how do the locals there wear their clothes in November. I come from hot sunny Singapore and I do not know what Spring is like in Sydney in November. Any advise from you would be greatly appreciated.

3 Answers Oct 23, 2015 at 2:55 AM
    • Playing golf in Sydney

by alicevoong Online Now Oct 6, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Hi everyone!

My Singaporean partner would like to spend 7-9 days in Sydney. He loves playing golf and exploring interesting places, foods,.... Could anyone please recommend some?

Thanks in advance!

3 Answers Apr 8, 2016 at 11:36 AM

Public transport

by margsch Online Now Sep 10, 2015 at 10:56 PM

Hi from South Australia, checking some websites it appears you are changing to a different format. Once I arrive at Central from the airport, where can I buy the Seniors day pass? If i want the new Opal ticket for Seniors does it apply to interstate visitors? Looking at the web it seems to include only NSW card holders.

My Hotel is near a light rail stop so I will be using that but also need to use a bus or suburban train.

2 Answers Oct 7, 2015 at 5:31 AM
    • middle eastern restaurant

by robyn277 Online Now Jul 23, 2015 at 1:04 PM

after a good lebanese restaurant in and around sydney and suburbs

2 Answers Jul 28, 2015 at 12:20 AM