Travel Answers

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Catering for wedding

Bali Oct 19, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Hi all I am looking for recommendations for catering companies for my Bali wedding next July .. I am looking for great quality food cheers Lisa

• How many days to spend in Senaru

Senaru Oct 18, 2016 at 8:06 AM

We are not climbing and want to hike the waterfall and visit local villages. We have a reservation at Rinjani Lodge for 1 night but wondered if I should stay 2 nights. Is there enough to do if you are not a climber?

Bandung Oct 18, 2016 at 2:56 AM

• danishtraveller's Profile Photo

TCM or Healer in Bali

Bali Oct 13, 2016 at 7:59 AM

Can anyone recommend a very good healer or TCM practitioner in Bali. I have an old injury that continues to seriously bother me.

• Bandung trip in December

Bandung Oct 20, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Hi, My gf and i would like to plan 4 days trip to Bandung start from 11th December 2016. I've check the weather forecast in December and it seems like raining and thunderstorm most likely happen in December. Would like to know whether the the weather around december will affect our sightseeing and outdoor trips.
      2. Any interesting places to get delicious and cheap local food around?
      3. Where is the best place to stay if we would like to shop around if not heading for outdoor activities.

• rhbphoto's Profile Photo

Intertrips Tour Company

Bali Oct 17, 2016 at 6:44 AM

Anyone have any info or experience with the tour company Intertrips. Not much on line. They seem legit and a
      subsidiary of a much larger Chinese travel group. They are currently running some insane deals on travel to SE Asia and Bali with air, accommodations, transfers and a basic tour here and there but with mostly free days. Accommodations check out as good or better tourist class. We usually are independent travelers but these deals are hard to resist.

• Volcano comparison

Bandung Oct 7, 2016 at 2:42 AM

How is Bandung Volcano -Tangkuban Perahu as compared to Kintamani Volcano

• Tour guide Hire for 4D3N ard Bandung

Bandung Oct 13, 2016 at 4:44 AM

Hi there, I am solo travelling to Bandung from 23 Nov - 26 Nov 16. May I know where can I find a tour guide (female preferred) to bring me around places of interests such as white crater, tea plantations, museum, spa/ massages, factory outlets? what would be the budget like? 

Please help. Any suggestions are welcome :)

• Bali secret spots

Bali Oct 7, 2016 at 4:35 AM

I'm planning my trip to Bali this december. 10 days. I'm looking for the best waterfalls, villages, beaches in Bali. I hate tourism: what I'm looking for is to enter in contact with locals. I'm a videographer and I'd like to shoot locals living their life, child playing in the paddies.. that kind of things. I wanna capture the real face of Bali.

Can anyone help me? Thank you!

• twotrickpony's Profile Photo

What are the attractions around/close to UBUD?

Ubud Oct 2, 2016 at 9:15 PM

Hi guys,

Will you be able to suggest attractions surrounding or are close to UBUD? We'll be staying there for 3d/2n and the rest of the days will be at Seminyak.

We'd like to cover the areas near to UBUD first

• Leisure at Jakarta

Jakarta Sep 30, 2016 at 4:49 AM

Hi travellers,
      I'll be in Jakarta on 20 - 23 Oct. This trip is mainly for leisure & fun party. I really have no idea on how best to set the itinerary while in Jakarta.

My questions:
      - Which is the best hotel to stay (close to most happening town & moderate cost)?
      - What is the best club or ktv or fun places to enjoy night life?
      - What other things to do in Jakarta that people should not missed when visit Jakarta i.e. Massage, etc.?
      - Any other ideas are most welcome and really appreciated. I will spend the time in Jakarta with my 3 best friends. But that shouldn't be all for a city that never visited before. So please give me some ideas.

Thank you

• Bali weather in January

Bali Sep 30, 2016 at 4:47 AM

Can one goto Bali in January? I have heard the rains are pretty heavy there.

• snorkeling and beautiful beach

Lombok Oct 18, 2016 at 8:46 AM

Looking for the best snorkeling experience and cannot decide between north gili and southwest gili. Also, looking for a beautiful beach for the last few days of our trip and wondered about selong balanak . We are traveling with our 3 adult children and saw Villa Atas which looks beautiful but only has 1 review. I am a little nervous about booking without knowing a little about the area. Any other advice for beach spots would be appreciated.

• transport suggest

Kintamani Oct 8, 2016 at 7:41 PM

is better us skuter to kintamani valcano

• Lake Toba, 4 months retreat, visa extensions and guesthouses

by r1deforever Online Now Sep 23, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Hi, I wanted to do some meditation in a quietish place and Lake Toba looked good, but it seems Indonesia only gives 1 month visa so I would need to extend several times.
      Can anyone say if this is easy or possible at Pematangsiantar, or how convoluted the process is, multiple visits ?
      And could anyone recommend a budget clean place ?
      Thanks !

1 Answer Sep 25, 2016 at 4:43 PM
    • Casual clothing

by NoosaRon Online Now Feb 22, 2016 at 6:54 PM

From my research it seems that there are no places where I can go in Java or Sumatra to have a beer in a bar wearing shorts, t shirt and scuffs ( flip flops)

2 Answers Feb 22, 2016 at 11:03 PM
    • jacquiebroeckx's Profile Photo

trekking in ketambe

by jacquiebroeckx Online Now Nov 6, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Wondering what equipment to bring whilst jungle trekking over night in Ketambe?
      Should i buy proper hiking boots?
      Can anyone recommend any kind of leach and bug repellents?
      Can anyone recommend any trek guides that will maximise the experience for my boyfriend and I?

4 Answers Nov 8, 2014 at 2:59 PM
    • jacquiebroeckx's Profile Photo

Self Drive Sumatra

by jacquiebroeckx Online Now Nov 6, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Anyone have any advice for my boyfriend and I who plan to hire an SUV from Medan and drive around Northern Sumatra?
      Our itinerary is; medan- Tangkahan - Berastagi - Danau Toba - Ketambe - Banda Aceh - Pulau Weh - back down around the west coast to Medan. We've planned to spend about 3 weeks.

Any advice would be great.

6 Answers Nov 10, 2014 at 11:40 PM
    • Sinosphere's Profile Photo

Beach and snorkelling activities in Sumatra

by Sinosphere Online Now Aug 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I'm interested to visit Java and Sumatra with my parents this winter. Due to the tropical climate and beautiful coastlines I would like to know what are the best beaches on Sumatra. I heard about Iboih Beach but I don't know more.

Moreover - given that Sumatra is widely muslim - isn't complicated for women mainly to be in swimwear to go to the beach? I remember in Malaysia, men sometimes watched my mother with skepticism. We don't want to offense traditional way of life.

Thank you.

6 Answers Sep 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM
    • banyak islands

by sforte1000 Online Now May 6, 2013 at 3:40 AM

has anyone visited the banyak islands? would it be ok to bring kids ?

• trekking in ketambe sumatra with a 5 and 8 year old is it possible

by sforte1000 Online Now May 5, 2013 at 5:35 AM

trekking in ketambe

2 Answers Sep 21, 2013 at 6:48 AM
    • trekking in ketambe sumatra with a 5 and 8 year old is it possible

by sforte1000 Online Now May 5, 2013 at 5:08 AM

trekking in ketambe sumatra with a 5 and 8 year old is it possible

5 Answers May 12, 2013 at 5:23 AM
    • Southern Sumatra Info

by JTMoore Online Now May 2, 2013 at 4:38 AM

Can anyone give me info on Way Kambas and/or Krakatau? I want to visit both places later in May. Is it possible to get a ride from Way Kambas to a boat that I could take to Krakatau? Is there any place to stay in or near the Elephant Training Center in Way Kambas? What about Krakatoa?

1 Answer May 8, 2013 at 1:56 AM
    • Information about Way Kambas or Krakatau

by JTMoore Online Now Apr 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I have been living in Bengkulu for over half a year now and it is about time for me to go back to the States, but before I leave my friend wants to take me on a short trip here in Indonesia. I have been really interested in going to Way Kambas park to try and see some of the animals there but recently I have also been interested in seeing Anak Krakatau. If I was in Lampung province for 4 or 5 days would it be possible to see both?
      Does anyone know of someone who could help us get from Way Kambas to Krakatau or just help us with planning a trip in that area? I am very open to suggestions.

• Dianne2012's Profile Photo

Sumatra to Surabaya (by land)

by Dianne2012 Online Now Sep 11, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Hi all,

Need advice and help, I am travelling to Padang of Sumatra next month from KL. I want to travel alone by land from Padang to Surabaya in about 2-3 weeks time. What do you suggest especially itinerary, what worth see, what to avoid?

4 Answers Sep 14, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    • ladybird's Profile Photo

Honeymoon Trekking

by ladybird Online Now Sep 15, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Hi all

My fiancee and I are planning to spend our honeymoon next July in Indonesia. We hope to spend two weeks in Sumatra to do some real travelling (see the orangutans, do white water rafting etc)then fly to Bali or Lombok for a week of luxury.

Can you recommend the best way to spend two weeks in Sumatra with lots of adventure?

6 Answers Sep 17, 2010 at 2:53 PM
    • jirikoo's Profile Photo

what antimalarial drugs in Indonesia (Sumatra)?

by jirikoo Online Now Jul 24, 2010 at 8:04 AM

hi fellow travellers,

im aware this is not the most suitable place to ask, unless some of you are actually medical doctors, but i will give it a shot.

a few months ago I visited a hospital immunologist consulting possible prophylaxes prescription ahead of my indonesia (sumatra) trip with, which is still due in a couple of weeks. It seems like I was a bit misinformed as i was recommended the medicine Lariam (Mefloquine), which i also eventually purchased.

Now doing my final research, I've come across on worrying reports and info (even on wikipedia) as for resistance to this kind of antiparasitic in indoenesia and in whole SE Asia for that matter. Not to mention all the undesirale effects the drug has got...

ok, no big deal, i havent intaken a tablet so far, so i can easily switch but, i was wondering your views and experience.

i can assure you I will visit the doctor again and ask him what he thinks now about the choice. Meanwhile, you go ahead... :)

thanks a lot

8 Answers Jul 27, 2010 at 11:00 PM
    • jirikoo's Profile Photo

Sumatra - various questions

by jirikoo Online Now Jul 7, 2010 at 4:11 AM

Hey guys,

i have a few questions related to my upcoming trip to Sumatra.

1) I am attracted to the idea of seeing the Kubu tribe in Sumatra. How much time should i reserve for this activity? I was advised that i'll need a guide from Kerinci to see them. How much can expect to pay? Has anyone actually tried this?

2) I would like to see flowers Rafflesia Arnoldi and Amorphophallus Titanum. I am aware that one the places where I can see these flowers is Kerinci National Park. In what other places in Sumatra can i for sure see the flowers? The thing is that i am still thinking if I will ever visit Kerinci NP, or I will give it a miss.

3) I'm keen to see and some exhibits of the local traditional dance or singing performance. I've heard of Minangkabau performing arts centre in Bukittinggi open on thursdays. Is it worth? I look for nothing organized or posed only for tourists; rather something that is sort of ad hoc. Are there any places in Sumatra?

4) When in Padang, how long in total does it take to get from there to Medan? To understand this, I dont want to make any trips or long breaks on the way there since i just want to absorb the countryside and the journey this way; ...thus missing out on the Lake Toba, etc.. My objective is to get to Medan as soon as possible and then proceed to Pulau Banyak islands.

5) Upon this, what is the best possible way to Medan? The cheapest option of transport is preferable. Could you please specify exactly what modes of transport should i take? im used to a rough solo travelling, so i don't mind using slow public buses (or even hitchhiking and individual transport if necessary). I'm open to any suggestions and if you say its not worth or its no spectacle, i may skip this route and will fly direct to Medan, anyhow...

thanks a lot

5 Answers Jul 13, 2010 at 12:40 PM
    • worldtraveller0's Profile Photo

Sinabang, Simeulue.............

by worldtraveller0 Online Now Apr 3, 2010 at 6:44 AM

I plan to travel to Sinabang in Oct this year. I would be grateful for any help with how I get there from Jakarta and details of any cheap hotels, losmen I could stay in. Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

4 Answers Apr 13, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    • Buddhist temple??

by njeanfinney Online Now Mar 23, 2006 at 2:17 AM

Hi - I am just beginning my research on Sumatra because I saw a documentary on Arte - I am in France now - about the matriarchal society, the martial arts there, and most of all because of the old Buddhist temple - tenth/eleventh century - that has exquisite sculpture and it seems practicing monks! all that is striking and I am trying to find out more about the temple, where it is etc - Does anyone have inof? I also read that summer is the best time to visit, dry, but in VT one guy says that is the monsoon season - thanks for any help - Jean

3 Answers Apr 5, 2006 at 8:39 AM
    • flexthelegend's Profile Photo

by flexthelegend Online Now Dec 29, 2005 at 11:32 AM

I have a business trip to aiport code MES and need a place to stay for 4 days that is close by. The only hotel I cam up with is : Emeral Gardenia Hotel
      Does anyone know if this place is good or have any other suggestions for me? Thanks.

2 Answers Dec 29, 2005 at 8:11 PM
    • BLUEVOY's Profile Photo

by BLUEVOY Online Now Sep 19, 2005 at 5:16 AM

HELP! I am travelling to Bukit Lawang, Sumatra this Saturday, Sep 24th and I would like to seek suggestions from anyone who has been there recently as to conditions of accommodations and the Orang Utang Rehab Center after the floods of late 2003. Also any info on lodging and activities in berastagi will be highly appreciated. Thanks a million to anyone who can help.

2 Answers Sep 26, 2005 at 6:20 PM
    • bahaiano's Profile Photo

sumatra travelling

by bahaiano Online Now Jun 8, 2005 at 5:44 AM

hello vt lesr

i was thinking about traveling up from jakaaarta through sumatra to malaysia. anything intressting on this way worth a stop :-) i d be glad for every tip! thanx and have a nice time

13 Answers Jun 28, 2005 at 10:18 PM
    • datuk's Profile Photo

Who knows about Ipuh???

by datuk Online Now Jan 10, 2005 at 5:03 AM

Hi! My concern is about Ipuh in Bengkulu Provinve in Sumatra. There was a quake there just after the tsunami and I would like to know how badly the region was affected. I have a friend who is from Ipuh. I cannot reach him since his mailbox is now full and I do worry a lot for him and his family. Let us never forget the victims....

1 Answer Jan 11, 2005 at 9:47 AM
    • arnonieuw's Profile Photo

ATM's in Sumatera

by arnonieuw Online Now Aug 1, 2004 at 1:14 AM

Is finding an ATM in Sumatera just as easy as it is in Jawa and Bali? Or are there any areas where you still have to rely on money changers? Thanx, Arno

3 Answers Aug 6, 2004 at 10:19 AM