Travel Answers
Stykkishólmur

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Morgandy14's Profile Photo

Quick response?? Other entry points to Glymur Falls?

Iceland Jul 25, 2016 at 12:42 PM

I am at the main parking lot. Both the left and right trails are roped off after about 150 metres, you can get as far as seeing the arch only.

Is there another entry way to take the hike up to the falls? I am thinking of getting back on the road and actually driving 20 miles in either direction to see if I find another.

Thanks as always...

more
    • Affordable longer-term accomodation in Reykjavik

Reykjavík 19 hours ago

My son and his friend from Cardiff University are spending a year studying at University of Iceland and have just arrived there. Currently the only affordable accommodation is Keflavick - quite a way to travel in everyday to study. Their monthly grant is only about £600-650 and most of the accommodation in the capital seems to be about that and more which leaves nothing for food etc. Does anyone know of a website that has affordable accommodation. Unfortunately the University hasn't been able to help.

more
    • Looking for travelers to share a car and drive through Iceland?

Iceland Aug 4, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Hi!
      Do you know of any website or group where I can meet people traveling to Iceland? I am planning to go on a roadtrip for a week (September 21-28), but I am traveling with just one person and I would like to share the fun (and the expenses) with one or two more travelers. Do you happen to know where I can meet people to travel with?
      Thanks for your help!
      Cheers,

more
    • First time visit

Iceland 12 hours ago

HI Everyone,

3 of us will be travelling to spend a few days in Iceland (7th-10th Sep) and would really appreciate if someone / anyone with a bit more experience than us could take a look over our itinerary ( its our first time ). We have a camper booked via https://www.happycampers.is/ and would really appreciate if anyone had any suggestions our comments on the below. ( timings beside each is what we believe the distance from the previous location to be )

Map: google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid...

Day 1:
      - Supermarket (for supplies)
      - Bruarfoss Waterfall: 1hr 46min from Happy Campers
      - Geysir, Haukadalsvegur. 15min From Bruarfoss Waterfall
      - Gullfoss Waterfall 10min from Geysir
      - Secret Lagoon 30min from Gullfoss
      - Urridafoss 30min from Secret Lagoon

Day 2:
      - Seljalandsfoss 40min from Urridafoss
      - Skógafoss 26mins from Seljalandsfoss
      - Dyrhólaey 30min from Skogafoss
      - Vik 20min from Dyrholaey
      - Stjornafoss 50min from Vik
      - Svínafellsjökull 50min from Stjornafoss
      - Stokksnes 1hr 47min from Svínafellsjökull

Day 3:
      Pretty much open. Heading back towards Reykjavik to spend the night.

We will only be using the above as a guide and do not have to stick strictly to it.

Thank you in advance!
      Patrick

more
    • Travelling from Reykjavik to Vik (via the Golden Circle Route)

Iceland Jul 27, 2016 at 10:25 PM

Hi there, 

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction (or down the right roads!) for our upcoming trip to Iceland. We will be in Iceland for 4 full days and have booked accommodation as follows. Just hoping someone can tell me roughly how long (driving time) and directions from the Golden Circle to Vik and whether what I have planned as an itinerary is do-able and not too rushed! If there's anyting I've missed on Day 2 and 3, can you also let me know.

We are hoping to do the following:

DAY 1: Leave Reykjavik early morning and drive out onto Golden Circle Route (via Nesjavellir, Thingvellir, Geysir and Strokkur, and Gullfoss Waterfall) before heading to Vik (or actually the Mid Hvoll Cottages 10 km from Dyrhólaey peninsula).

DAY 2: Visit Reynisfjall Black Sands Beach, Dyrhólaey rock arch, Kirkjubæjarklaustur and Jokulsarlon laggon before heading back to Mid Hvoll Cottages.

DAY 3: Head back to Reykjavik, stopping at Vik, Seljaladsfoss Waterfall and ​Skogafoss Waterfall. (would we fit in a detour drive around Eyjafjallajokull and Solheimajokull glaciers?) before ending up back in Reykjavik for the night. 

DAY 4: Around Reykjavik before heading out to the Blue Lagoonand then to the airpoart for an evening flight.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

MrsDSox

more
    • Miyaaaaaaaaa's Profile Photo

Keep Clean (for Female)

Iceland Jul 27, 2016 at 3:04 AM

What will you take to keep yourself clean and healthy while go hiking ?

more
    • Iceland in October

Iceland Jul 27, 2016 at 12:18 AM

Hi!
      I'm going to visit Iceland in October with my family.Planning to take 4x4 and make a round CCW.
      Would be glad to have your suggestions and tips
      I also understand the weather could be a tricky part...

more
    • acherman's Profile Photo

Best Travel Between Keflavik and Reykjavik Airports

Iceland Aug 3, 2016 at 5:43 PM

We have a flight from Toronto into Keflavik at 4:40 am on a Saturday, and need to catch another flight out of Reykjavik airport at 10:45 am the same day. What is the best way to travel between the two airports? I know they are 40-50 minutes apart, but all I can find for buses or shuttles seem to go to downtown Reykjavik (to the hotels). We will need to do the opposite trip 2 weeks later. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

more
    • Car rental rates

Iceland Aug 15, 2016 at 3:17 AM

Hi! I'm gonna land in Iceland at the end of the season (26/8) and travel for 2 weeks.

I wanted to know what would be cheaper- should I book online,

or could I try getting better rates on renting a car when I land (because it's the end of the season)?
      thanks!

more
    • SUGGEST SIGHTSEEING ON THE WAY AS PER HOTEL STAY

Iceland Jul 30, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Hi, We are planning a trip in the 3rd week of Sept for 9 days. I have an idea of the sightseeing to be done but would really appreciate if I could get some more information if I can save time on my routes. My day to day accommodation is mentioned below.

Day 1. Arrive KEF at 9am. Pick up car at airport and proceed. Overnight at Staður

Day 2 Overnight AKUREYRI

Day 3 Overnight LAUGAR

Day 4 Overnight SEYDISFJORDUR

Day 5 Overnight HOFN

Day 6 Overnight SKOGAR

Day 7 Overnight REYKJAVIK

Day 8 REYKJAVIK Blue Lagoon

Based on my accommodation above what will be the best way to go about sightseeing.

Thanks a ton

more
    • patoo's Profile Photo

help to book my road tour

Iceland Jul 25, 2016 at 8:28 AM

Hi,
      I'm planning to visit Iceland (next week....), arriving in the night of 31st of july, rent a car, booked a room in Reykjavik for 4 nights (till 4th of august), I intend to spend one day visiting Reykjavik, then do a road tour to Golden Circle, the 2nd day, the 3rd day a road tour to Vik and Jokulsarion, then 4th day go to Akureyri to sleep one night, by road 41, then one day to do a road tour to lake Myvatn, Dettifoss... do you think my plan seems to be good ? and What do you advise me to do the next days ? have no idea... Hope my message is clear thank you for your help. Pat

more

Near Stykkishólmur