VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Travel Answers
State of Queensland

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Anybody wanna give me company?

Cairns Jan 5, 2017 at 4:49 AM

I am travelling on 24th january from sydney.i was expecting a friend who has a car from brisbane to join me for the entire time.but unfortunately for me, he cancelled.so my question is shud i hire a car to explore the area or is it not worth it.fyi i have booked my hotel apartment at esplanade.as a first timer and just by myself, do u think i will get bored? Any suggestions will be appreciated.thanks in advance

more
    • Anybody wanna give me company?

Cairns Jan 5, 2017 at 4:49 AM

I am travelling on 24th january from sydney.i was expecting a friend who has a car from brisbane to join me for the entire time.but unfortunately for me, he cancelled.so my question is shud i hire a car to explore the area or is it not worth it.fyi i have booked my hotel apartment at esplanade.as a first timer and just by myself, do u think i will get bored? Any suggestions will be appreciated.thanks in advance

1 Answer Jan 5, 2017 at 4:46 PM
    • Toddler & baby friendly accommodations

Port Douglas Nov 8, 2016 at 3:05 PM

Hello! We are looking to spend a week in a resort located anywhere from Cairns to Port Douglas. We will have a three year old and a ten month old. Ideally, it would be good to stay in an apartment with a swim out pool frontage so that we can swim and relax whilst the kids are napping. The Sea Temple is a bit on the expensive side, but the Mantra and the Oaks resorts (Port Doug) don't look brilliant.

Does anyone have any other solutions please? Many thanks!

4 Answers Nov 9, 2016 at 1:50 PM
    • Great Barrier Reef - base location

Cairns Oct 18, 2016 at 1:50 AM

Hi - I'm travelling to Cairns for 5 days in the last week of December. This is the last leg of my holiday in Australia and we will be returning to London from Cairns. We are family of 3 with a 11 year old. We are interested in snorkelling and scuba diving in the outer reef and may be some watersports. Not keen on rainforest etc. I'm struggling to find a good base for the GBR exploration. Do I stay in Cairns and take one of the tours (will make it easier flight-wise) or do I stay in one of the beach resorts? Budget isn't a big consideration and a luxury option would be just fine. Many thanks for your help.

7 Answers Nov 9, 2016 at 2:55 PM
    • GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Great Barrier Reef

State of Queensland Oct 1, 2016 at 7:59 AM

I am very interested in snorkeling (not scuba diving) the Great Barrier Reef. So far, I know the better time of the year would be between May and October. Does anyone know, specifically, when the best month to visit is? I'm concerned if there is any particular time when it's more dangerous such as more sharks are in the area because the water temperature changes. Thanks for your help!

11 Answers Oct 10, 2016 at 3:58 PM
    • Which Whitsundays Day Trip?

Whitsunday Islands Jul 23, 2016 at 6:46 PM

There seem to be so many options for choosing a tour and every agent I speak to seems to push a different product, probably which ever one makes them the most money. I found this site though which looks much better but I still can't decide. wanderlustau.com/daytours-wh... What tour would you recommend/avoid?

• accomadation

Emerald Jun 28, 2016 at 3:18 AM

cheapest

4 Answers Jul 23, 2016 at 3:02 PM
    • jmj0's Profile Photo

What to do around Caloundra on my 70th Birthday with my family.

State of Queensland Jun 26, 2016 at 1:41 AM

I have organized a weekend in July for my wife and family in Caloundra.Can anybody suggest things we could do as a family group.The only agreement so far is golf on the Saturday morning.What other activities and restaurants can you suggest for the rest of Saturday and Sunday.

• Friskyfinn's Profile Photo

Cairns in February

Cairns May 30, 2016 at 2:58 AM

Is it madness planning to go to GBR & Cairns in February? Cyclon and jelly season aparently????

2 Answers May 31, 2016 at 9:40 PM
    • Roads Frasr island

Fraser Island May 13, 2016 at 5:00 AM

Hi we are thinking of going to Fraser Island from Hervey Bay in June and was wondering what the roads are like over there? I know you need a 4 wheel drive which we have ( a jeep Cherokee ) but it's very new and my husband is concerned on how if any actual 4 wheel driving you need to do. Are there any sealed roads or are they all sand or dirt. Was wondering if it would be best if we did a tour instead . Any info would be great

4 Answers Jun 12, 2016 at 7:40 PM
    • Florie's Profile Photo

Diving from Cairns or Port Douglas

Cairns Apr 22, 2016 at 1:14 PM

I am unable to make up my mind. Cairns seems to be a heavy tourist hub for diving the reef. I am leaning towards Port Douglas, a more quiet location. To clarify, I am not sure of I should fly from Sydney to Cairns or To PD. Is the diving cheaper from PD? Your opinion will be highly appreciated. Thank you to all for taking the time to respond.

8 Answers Apr 26, 2016 at 4:36 AM
    • Long term stay

Surfers Paradise Mar 31, 2016 at 9:43 AM

Looking for a condo from mid January to mid March 2017. Any suggestions for surfers paradise?

3 Answers Mar 31, 2016 at 6:12 PM
    • Furniture on a tight budget?? HELP

Brisbane Mar 8, 2016 at 9:13 PM

Best way to outfit a house on a tight budget?

Second hand stores? I've heard they have great stores but where in Brisbane would you recommend looking for used but of good (ish) condition? Especially for someone just needing temporary items. Kids beds? Drawers? Couches? TV's? Kitchen tables? The basics...

HELP! Am moving with my family from overseas.

6 Answers Mar 9, 2016 at 11:47 AM
    • tkada's Profile Photo

Best place to stay for walk to surf and pubs

Gold Coast Mar 8, 2016 at 3:56 PM

Ill be on the gold coast at the end of march. Where's the best place to stay for walk to surf. I wont have a car. Just want to catch a few clean waves followed by a few frosty pints.

3 Answers Apr 12, 2016 at 4:22 PM
    • Hamilton Island Airport

Hamilton Island Feb 21, 2016 at 10:05 PM

I have heard its chaotic at HI airport departures. Is this the case ?

1 Answer Feb 22, 2016 at 12:01 AM
    • Centyral Floral Parade

Toowoomba Feb 3, 2016 at 2:54 PM

What date is the 2016 Central Floral Parade?

1 Answer Feb 3, 2016 at 4:00 PM
    • Brisbane Festival

Brisbane Jan 30, 2016 at 5:05 PM

I was originally planning on visiting Brisbane mid-September to do the usual tourist sights. I later saw this is during the Brisbane Festival and wondered how crowded the city gets then. If there are going to be mobs of people coming to Brisbane then, I will plan on visiting after the festival is over

5 Answers Feb 27, 2016 at 6:22 PM
    • Great Barrier Reef

Hamilton Island Jan 6, 2016 at 1:47 PM

We are staying on Hamilton Island and have booked a day out on a pontoon to see the reef.
      What is the trip from Hamilton Island like over to the pontoon as my husband suffers from sea sickness.
      We are planning to be there from the 18th Feb and wondered what the weather would be like and how calm the sea might be.
      Thanks for any answers.

5 Answers Mar 4, 2016 at 6:50 PM
    • size of emerald

Emerald Jan 4, 2016 at 3:38 AM

what is the area of emerald australia

2 Answers Jan 4, 2016 at 4:15 AM
    • Can I camp at different spots each night on Fraser Island?

Fraser Island Dec 26, 2015 at 8:25 PM

Hi, I am going to Fraser next week with my partner and we want to travel around and stay at different places. I have had a look on the Internet and it looks like I would have to book a camp site and would have to be based there. Which would mean more fuel from going back and forward.
      Can you get away with sleeping in the back of a ute with a conopy at random spots?
      Thanks stew.

3 Answers Dec 27, 2015 at 2:25 AM
    • Corporate Massage in Gold Coast

Gold Coast Dec 1, 2015 at 10:24 PM

Can you suggest a person or a team who can offer best corporate massage for a company in Gold Coast?

1 Answer Dec 9, 2015 at 2:41 AM
    • What time to travel to fraser?

Fraser Island Nov 14, 2015 at 6:01 AM

G'day all, I am planning a trip to fraser with my old man and am wondering if it gets to busy and cramped around dec jan. I will be camping on the eastern beach preferably Ngkala Rocks and north??

• Boat trip from Hamilton Island to GBR

Hamilton Island Nov 8, 2015 at 7:33 AM

Hi.
      We are going from Hamilton Island to a pontoon on the great Barrrier Reef and my husband suffers from sea sickness. I believe the pontoon is stabalised but am worried about the boat trip. Has anyone reading this done this trip ? We are going mid-February 2016 and am hoping that the sea will be a millpond.
      Thanks.

2 Answers Nov 14, 2015 at 11:43 PM
    • Constantly raining and risk of cyclones in Feb.?

Whitsunday Islands Oct 14, 2015 at 5:00 PM

Hi,
      My husband and I are travelling to Australia for over 3 weeks (starting from Sydney and will make our way on the eastern coast then up north to Whitsunday then to Port Douglas) in February 2016. Unfortunately we have no choice but to travel around that period. We know it's not the best time to go there as it will be wet season and possibility of having some cyclones. For people who have visited that area during wet season did you have at least a few sunny days? Do you get just a quick heavy downpour then it clears up?How was snorkelling and diving? Can one still have a good visibility in the water to see the variety of fish and other marine life and the coral reefs as well? Will we be able to do a few excursions for 2 to 3 days? During that season is it advisable to book in advance the islands and GBR excursions? Or can we join excursions when we arrive there? Any suggestions of tour companies? Looking forward to some advice and suggestions. Thank you!

How about mosquitoes and other biting insects. Is it swarming with insects in Jan. and Feb. I am allergic to insect bites. Is it advisable to bring enough insect repellent?

Looking forward to some advice and suggestions. Thank you!

Lorna
      (from Switzerland)

7 Answers Nov 11, 2015 at 2:33 AM
    • Crocodile Safari

Hamilton Island Sep 25, 2015 at 12:40 PM

I am staying on Hamilton Island for a few days and would like to do the Salt Water Crocodile Safari from Airlie Beach. How easy is it to get to Airlie Beach from Hamilton Island Marina and how long does it take....thanks.

2 Answers Sep 26, 2015 at 3:18 PM
    • Has anyone been to Riverlife?

Brisbane Aug 26, 2015 at 3:13 PM

I'm doing some research on Riverlife and want to know if anyone has been there are tried their experiences? Is it worth it and what are the best activities to do? Thnx!

3 Answers Oct 18, 2015 at 8:49 AM
    • History of Servicemen on Dunk Island in WW2

Dunk Island Jul 27, 2015 at 11:45 PM

Hi Is there a museum or sorts identifying the time when service men were stationed on Dunk during WW2

• public transport

Gold Coast Jul 23, 2015 at 12:02 AM

Can I get public transport from tweed heads south to movie world?

5 Answers Sep 20, 2016 at 6:54 AM
    • Transportation

Airlie Beach Jun 28, 2015 at 4:18 AM

We are travelling by train from Mission Beach to Proserpine. I want to know the best way to get to our hotel from the station, whether it be by taxi or the bus service available from the station, which is a $33 for both of us. I'm not sure where our hotel (Martinique) is from the centre of Airlie Beach, so what would be the best form of travel?

• bluehome's Profile Photo

Where oh where is this just out of Mossman Gorge area?

Cairns Jun 16, 2015 at 1:33 AM

A beautiful blue pond that apparently Aboriginal women gave birth into years ago. It is so blue you can see to the bottom. We visited Mossman Gorge, then this place, then headed back to Palm Cove, but can't find it anywhere. If I could upload a photo I would, but don't know how to here....Thanks

11 Answers Jun 18, 2015 at 6:40 AM
    • surfing, gold coast, surfers paradise

Surfers Paradise Jun 10, 2015 at 9:54 PM

Hey guys,

Anyone know a cheapish place to hire boards for the day at surfers paradise gold coast? It will be for this sunday coming.

Thanks

1 Answer Jun 11, 2015 at 6:51 AM