VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Travel Answers
State of New South Wales

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• fishstick's Profile Photo

Traveling to Sydney September 2017

Sydney Dec 29, 2016 at 7:35 AM

What's the weather like and is there festivals or fun outdoor events during that time in September.

7 Answers Jan 5, 2017 at 12:21 PM
    • zaffaran's Profile Photo

SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium,

Sydney Dec 13, 2016 at 12:11 PM

Hello everyone! Can anyone tell me how much time we need to pay a decent but reasonable visit to the Aquarium? We are adults so no children's excitement. ;-)

7 Answers Dec 15, 2016 at 12:34 PM
    • zaffaran's Profile Photo

How to get to 790 George Street, Haymarket?

Sydney Nov 27, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Dear friends,
      can anyone tell me how to get to Backpackers from the airport by public transport? We'll be quite on a budget and a bit tired after a 23-hour-long journey and wouldn't like to wander around. ;-)
      Thanks a lot for your help,
      Anita

5 Answers Nov 28, 2016 at 3:24 AM
    • Motorhome in Sydney

Sydney Nov 23, 2016 at 6:04 AM

Where can I stand with a motorhome in sydney for a couple days around new years eve ?
      Thx in advance

1 Answer Nov 23, 2016 at 8:48 PM
    • TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo

New Years Eve Hotel/Home/AirBnB viewing vantage point recommendations

Sydney Sep 28, 2016 at 9:22 PM

I'll be with 4 other American adults the week prior to and a few days after New Years in Sydney and there primarily for the New Years celebration.

We are most interested in ideas for viewing the fireworks---preferably from a balcony of a high rise hotel, condominium or home. I would be happy to spend the week outside the CBD or Sydney proper except for New Years Eve where I would not mind splurging on a prime viewing accomodation for one or two nights.

Any suggestions outside the ordinary would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

9 Answers Oct 19, 2016 at 4:26 PM
    • help with travel plans hervey bay to sydney

Sydney Sep 20, 2016 at 4:25 PM

Doing a road trip family of 5 . From port macquerie i would like to visit hunter valley ( but seems to be very expensive !) THEN 2 nights in Blue mountains, two nights in Sydney...got fab deal. Just rather stressed about driving to Hyde park from blue mountains !!
      After sydney we have 5 nights to get back to brisbane.
      Where to then ? port stephens, or central coast ?
      Perhaps we should do HUnter on way back and port stehens way down ?
      Ideally i would have liked a base in central coast to visit sydney , via boat ot train...any suggestions ? at a stalemate with my plans now ....

7 Answers Oct 10, 2016 at 3:08 PM
    • What Are The Best PLaces To Stay Near Bondi Beach?

Sydney Sep 11, 2016 at 9:18 PM

I ant to know what would be the best places to stay at in or near Bondi Beach, in Sydney, Australia? My wife and I are coming to Australia for our second trip to there in our marriage. We stay near Central Train Station last time, but want to be near Bondi Beach or Coogee Beach this time, if possible. We can pay up to $250 a night. We prefer services apartments, but hotels are also fine.

2 Answers Sep 16, 2016 at 9:04 AM
    • What does a bus charter services cost??

Sydney Sep 6, 2016 at 1:27 AM

Hi everyone. Have a big group and so looking to hire a 40-seater bus and a driver for a couple of days when we visit Sydney. We are planning to do day trips out of Sydney as well Canberra city..Any Recommendations?

Thank you in advance.

2 Answers Sep 6, 2016 at 9:56 PM
    • margsch's Profile Photo

Bus stops

Sydney Sep 3, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Hi there Sydneysiders, if I catch a bus to Mosman are the stops displayed or announced? And do I swipe the Opal card before boarding the bus?

8 Answers Sep 9, 2016 at 12:50 AM
    • Scavenger Hunt Help Needed At The Harbour Bridge!

Sydney Aug 1, 2016 at 10:14 AM

I participate in a massive international scavenger hunt (gishwhes.com) that raises a lot of money for charity (therandomact.org) and need someone in Sydney to take a watermelon (painted, can be badly painted, of a dictator) to the Harbour Bridge by Saturday and take a picture! Can anyone help a girl out?

• margsch's Profile Photo

Interstate visitor with Seniors Card

Sydney Jul 27, 2016 at 9:51 PM

I will fly into Mascot and catch the train to Central. For getting around Sydney do I need to buy an opalcard seeing I only have 3 days or is the Seniors day pass different? Where do i buy the ticket I need? If I do buy an opal card for seniors do i validate every time I board or disembark from a train/tram?

many thanks.

9 Answers Aug 4, 2016 at 7:15 AM
    • Wine Tasting in/near Sydney

Sydney Jul 26, 2016 at 6:05 PM

We are traveling to Sydney for 5 days arriving Aug 3. We would like to do some wine tasting and are interested in areas for day trips by car or train/bus. We do not like the tours as they try to get you to buy at their specific tasting rooms, gift shops, candy shops, etc. We would appreciate any suggestions for wine tasting areas. We do have a driver who will not be drinking unless someone can suggest where we can also find a driver. We are looking for quality wines that we can purchase for shipping home.

7 Answers Jul 30, 2016 at 6:22 PM
    • aussirose's Profile Photo

Big Sydney Meet in October - Are you coming?

Sydney Jul 1, 2016 at 3:08 AM

Hey all. Well it's only 3 months until the next Aussie meet, this time in Sydney - early October. Numbers this year have fallen. I guess that is because of the current economical climate and declining regulars here on VT.
      So now we have 21 signed up. We are excited to have vt'ers from Florida, UK and Malaysia join us! And we are equally excited to show you guys around :o)
      Second part of the meet is the first ever VT Cruise. We will be sailing out of the stunning Sydney Harbour early morning on the Cruise ship, Carnival Spirit for an 8 night cruise to the islands of the South Pacific. Imagine a bunch of fun loving VT'ers on a Cruise ship...... ok..... you can stop imagining now.... lol ;o)
      We have 11 signed up for that which is a fine crowd :o)
      Ok.... my question is...... Are you thinking of joining us?
      If so, we would like for you to think seriously about this and let me know for the Sydney bit and TheTravelSlut know for the cruise bit. Gauging from your responses, we will then make some final decisions in relation to day trips and costs etc.
      So I guess you have been itching to see the links with all the info? ...
      VT Meeting
      VT Meeting
      Cheers,
      Ann :o)

6 Answers Jul 2, 2016 at 8:13 PM
    • Rachyccc's Profile Photo

Bnb apartment recommended location

Sydney Jun 11, 2016 at 6:32 AM

Hi, I'm going Sydney in end of August. 2 ladies free & easy trip, don't intend to drive. Would need recommendations on the location I should stay which are near to central and public transports. I'm looking at Airbnb apartment during the trip, Cheers!

6 Answers Aug 4, 2016 at 10:29 AM
    • Rachyccc's Profile Photo

Best zoo in Sydney

Sydney Jun 10, 2016 at 11:55 PM

May i know where is the best zoo in Sydney ? Can touch koala kangaroo etc? Thank u!

6 Answers Jun 11, 2016 at 5:47 AM
    • PatriciaEncarnacion's Profile Photo

5 nights Sydney with toddler July 2016

Sydney May 23, 2016 at 6:40 PM

Hi! Can anybody help with a 5 day itinerary in Sydney? :) I will be travelling with my husband and 15 month old during winter (July 8-13). We'll be staying at a hotel at the CBD area. Should we get opal cards at the airport terminal upon arrival too to get around and see the sights? Should we get a can or just ride a train from the airport terminal going to our hotel?

Thank you in advance!

5 Answers May 25, 2016 at 12:54 AM
    • Florie's Profile Photo

Diving from Cairns or Port Douglas

Sydney Apr 22, 2016 at 8:07 AM

I am unable to make up my mind. Cairns seems to be a heavy tourist hub for diving the reef. I am leaning towards Port Douglas, a more quiet location. Your opinion will be highly appreciated. Thank you to all for taking the time to respond.

3 Answers Apr 22, 2016 at 10:45 AM
    • are the Blue Mountains much more crowded on weekends?

Blue Mountains Mar 28, 2016 at 7:58 PM

We are doing a road trip from Brisbane to Melbourne and will get to the Sydney area early next October. From a travel standpoint it would make more sense coming from the North to first stay in say the Northern Suburbs and see Sydney (taking the train into the CBD) for 4 to 5 days then on to the Blue mountains for 2 to 3 days then continue on to Canberra and South. However, that timetable would put us in the Blue Mountains over a weekend so if the Blue Mountains tend to be really crowded on weekends, we can always go there first and so arrive during the week, then go back to the Sydney area then onto Canberra as that itinerary would put us at the Blues during the weekdays.
      I know this is wrong forum but wondered if we should forget trying to see the Victoria high country/Mt Kosciuszco as we will be in that area early to mid October and it appears that area can still be snow covered then? ( one of the National Park websites -mentioned chains were required to be carried until mid October.)

9 Answers Apr 12, 2016 at 4:49 PM
    • Sydney Lodging Recommendation

Sydney Mar 20, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Can anyone recommend a good budget hotel in Sydney with access to public transportation?

8 Answers May 10, 2016 at 5:45 PM
    • stamporama's Profile Photo

Katoomba local bus

Blue Mountains National Park Feb 28, 2016 at 12:42 AM

My wife and I will go up to Katoomba by train and I 'd like to be clarified as to what bus to take. My plan is upon arrival in town, I shall take the 686 bus to Scenic World, tour the place and eventually get to Echo Point/Three Sisters. After the latter, we intend to further walk up to the Leura Cascades. After this we wish to head back to the Katoomba train station and return to Sydney. From the map, I see that the nearest bus stop is at the corner of Waratah and Emily St. which is also serviced by bus 686. May I confirm if this is where we can take a ride back to the train station? Thanks for any reply!

• sbergen's Profile Photo

Cheapest Transportation from Airport to Hotel to Cruise Terminal

Sydney Feb 23, 2016 at 11:54 AM

My wife and I are 2 seniors travelling from the Sydney Kingsford Airport to The York hotel at 5 York Street with a carry-on and a checked bag. What is the cheapest transportation? We are in Sydney for 5 days before we leave on a cruise ship so will also need transportation to the cruise terminal as well. We are very mobile so walking/handling large bags is not a problem.

3 Answers Feb 25, 2016 at 2:16 PM
    • aussirose's Profile Photo

Planning a Sydney holiday in October 2016? Please join us for the Big Downunder VT Meet.

Sydney Jan 27, 2016 at 2:24 AM

We have a Big Sydney Meet planned for October. It commences on the 7th October and we already have 25 VT members and friends signed up. If you are visiting Sydney around this time, then please come and join us. What better way to be introduced to Australia than meeting a bunch of fun loving VT members from all around the world in Australia's most picturesque city, Sydney!! -
      Roll up, Roll up! The 9th Big Downunder VT Meet is set for October. That is in less than 9 months yea!! :o)
      The meet will be in 2 parts. The Big Sydney Meet starts on the 7th October and we already have 25 VT members and friends signed up. If you have ever thought of visiting Australia then Sydney should be your first point of call. What better way to be introduced to Australia than meeting a bunch of fun loving VT members from all around the world in Australia's most picturesque city, Sydney!! -
      VT Meeting
      The second part will be a Big Cruise sailing out of the spectacular Sydney Harbour destined for a Pacific Island holiday. We already have 25 VT members and friends signed up for this. This will be the FIRST EVER VT CRUISE! so you shouldn't miss out..... right? ;o) Carnival Cruises will never be the same again..... haha ;o)
      VT Meeting
      For those that are adventurous.... we have a second part to the meet. This involves a Big Cruise sailing out of the spectacular Sydney Harbour destined for the islands of the South Pacific. We already have 16 VT members and friends signed up for this. This will be the FIRST EVER VT CRUISE! so you shouldn't miss out..... right? ;o) Carnival Cruises will never be the same again..... haha ;o)
      VT Meeting
      For those that are planning to visit Australia this year then this may very well make up your mind for you.
      Any questions.... please email me here on vt.
      Cheers,
      Ann.

1 Answer Jan 27, 2016 at 2:30 AM
    • stamporama's Profile Photo

Safe area to stay in?

Sydney Jan 26, 2016 at 7:28 AM

Hey guys! My wife and I are due to visit Sydney this March and I'd like to get some advice on which area of the city is OK to stay at an AirBnB place. I've read the 'Dangers and Warnings' page and one poster wrote to avoid Surry Hills, Chippendale, Woolloomooloo and Waterloo. If that's true then where does that leave me? I'd like somewhere that's an easy walk to public transport and some reasonably priced eateries. Thanks for any replies!

16 Answers Feb 3, 2016 at 1:09 AM
    • jmj0's Profile Photo

Motorhoming for Bathurst 1000.

Bathurst Jan 24, 2016 at 4:40 PM

Any info where I can locate my motorhome for this event this year.Caravan Parks are booked out already and sites at Mt Panorama will be restricted and unable to be booked until June 2016.
      Any info would be appreciated,thankyou.

1 Answer Jan 25, 2016 at 1:00 AM
    • Living in Moree

Moree Jan 15, 2016 at 6:11 PM

Hello every one!
      I applied for a job in Moree, and wondering about living there:
      How is the life there? Are there the essential facilities : hospitals, transportation, what about childcare and the rental?
      And how you can rate the safety of living there? People, reputation.....etc
      Thank you

2 Answers Jan 16, 2016 at 12:18 PM
    • crazypaws's Profile Photo

Trains - reservations needed?

Sydney Dec 24, 2015 at 2:49 AM

Hi,

I'll be travelling across Australia in June 2016, arriving at Sydney airport on a domestic flight from Cairns, on a Sunday around 4pm. I plan on buying the Opal card, and take the train directly to the Blue Mountains.
      Do you need to make a booking for the train at a specific time? Or can you just hop on whenever suits you (like you can in Europe)? I can't find this information on their website. If bookings are essential, I'll need to calculate sufficient time between landing at the train departing, just in case my flight is delayed...

Thanks!

6 Answers Dec 28, 2015 at 7:49 AM
    • jaclouwra's Profile Photo

Newcastle, NSW in Late January

Newcastle Dec 9, 2015 at 11:48 PM

Hi there, I am planning on visiting Newcastle NSW at the end of January. Just wanted to know if this would be a good time weather wise? Is it sunny or is it more prone to rain being so far up NSW?

4 Answers Dec 29, 2015 at 2:06 PM
    • airport trasportation

Sydney Dec 9, 2015 at 11:45 AM

can anyone recommend a company that will pick up 6 people with large luggage from the international airport or maybe you can do it yourself for $$

6 Answers Apr 14, 2016 at 6:38 PM
    • Safe to drive to broken hill from Sydney

Broken Hill Dec 7, 2015 at 3:27 AM

Hi all
      If anyone can help me
      I thought of driving to broken hill from Sydney in summer
      Is it safe in regarding to the weather?
      And is too hot to visit broken hill in summer?

5 Answers Jun 29, 2016 at 4:49 PM
    • sanggano's Profile Photo

Hardware in CBD

Sydney Nov 23, 2015 at 4:51 PM

Hi. Would anyone know where DIY hardwares/ general hardware/ garden and pool supplies are located in Sydney CBD? Many thanks in advance.

3 Answers Dec 6, 2015 at 1:53 AM