VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

State of Gujarat Travel Answers

change location

Planning a Trip to Ahmedabad, Bhuj & Gandhidham

by gowrip Online Now Sep 26, 2006 at 11:58 PM

Hi,

I am Indian but long gone from and back now. From way south, will speak very very broken Hindi but good english - i am also ~30 yr old male. Planning a site seeing (not too touristy) trip to Gujarat, mostly kachchh. Any info appreciated on the following:

1) How trustworthy are autorickshaws in general to "obvious strangers"? need negotiation? worry about being ripped off? safe @ night?
2) Stay: i am not fancy, i look for the cheapest accommadataion possible provided it is 1) clean 2) has bed & toilet 3) safe. don't care about stars
3) Travel: are trains too crowded (my preference: second class sleeper) for reserved compartments? Buses: decent?
4) Guide: i don't speak gujarathi, very very little hindi. do i need a guide? how much do a good but not fancy guide cost?

to give an idea,50-$100 a day guided tours i have checked out so far are out of my options and i have decided against them, too much wasted money.

Thanks
Gowri.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • RE: Planning a Trip to Ahmedabad, Bhuj & Gandhidham

by binoti Online Now Sep 29, 2006 at 4:02 AM

1. Well there r all sorts of people, some may try to con u, some may be alright. with the autos , the best thing to do is make sure the meter is set to 0000, and when u get off, u can ask for a fare sheet , and pay accordingly. if u have luggage , they might charge a little extra
    2. Train reservations is difficult, but the private buses are comfortable as well. If ur doing a overnight trip, these buses also have sleeping berths. u might want to consider those. U just show up and buy the tickets and get onboard
    3. if u speak a little hindi u'll get by.
    4. as for hotels u'll need to figure out, wot part of town u want to stay in

hope this helps

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular State of Gujarat Travel Answer Locations