Sri Lanka

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Sleeper bus/train to Tricomalee,ella&galle

Trincomalee 18 hours ago

Hello! May I ask if there's any sleeper bus/train from Kandy to Trincomalee and from ella to galle?? Thanks

more
    • Poling's Profile Photo

Need help for itinerary for 12 days and transportation time

Sri Lanka Nov 25, 2016 at 7:54 PM

Day 1 I will be arriving late at 11pm. I plan to go Negombo (overnigh at Negombo)
      Day 2: Negombo morning by bus to Anuradhapura (overniight at Annuradhapura)
      Day 3: Anuradhapura afternoon by bus to Polonnaruwa (overnight at Polonnaruwa)
      Day 4: Polonnaruwa (overnight at Polonnaruwa)
      Day 5: Polonnaruwa by bus to Damublla (overnight at Damublla)
      Day 6: Sigiliya, Pidurangala Rock(overnight at Damublla)
      Day 7: Damublla by bus to Kandy (overnight at Kandy)
      Day 8: Kandy by train to Nuwara-Eliya old train station (overnight at 住Nuwara-Eliya)
      Day 9: Nuwara-Eliya (overnight at Nuwara-Eliya)
      Day 10: Nuwara-Eliya by bus to Delhousie (overnight at Delhousie)
      Day 11: early morning climb Adam's Peak, Delhousie by bus to Galle (overnight at Galle)
      Day 12: Galle afternoon by train to Colombo and then to Negombo (overnight at Negombo)
      Day 13: early morning flight

1. Is that arrangement workable? I can take out Adam's Peak so as to give way to a more reasonable itinerary instead of rushing.
      2. I notice that most people go Delhousie from Kandy. To fit into my friend's schedule as he will not do that, I will go from Nuwara-Eliya. Is there direct bus/transportation from Nuwara-Eliya to Delhousie?
      3. If I take out Adam's Peak, what place should I stay longer?
      4. Beside Days 8 & 12 that I am pretty sure to take train, for other days, is bus better than train?
      5. How frequent is the bus in Sri Lanka? If there is only one or two a day, is my plan feasible?
      Thank you.

more
    • Carrie197618's Profile Photo

Hotel recommendations??

Sri Lanka Nov 25, 2016 at 5:23 AM

Hi everyone,
      We are leaving on the 6 th next month and super excited
      Needed some advice on hotels
      Has anyone stayed in the Kala bongo lake resort or the oasis villa in Hikkaduwa??? They are both around 70 dollars for the night ( including breakfast) . If not, can someone recommend me another hotel around the same budget??
      In Kandy, we are planning to book villa 49 which has got good reviews in both booking and trip advisory. Has anyone stayed there before??
      Would be great to get some answers
      Thank you so much

more
    • va31045's Profile Photo

Child Friendly beaches in Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka Nov 21, 2016 at 3:20 AM

I will be traveling to Sri Lanka in January 2nd week. We are 2 couples with kids of about 3.5 years of age. Are the beaches safe to take the kids into (with us of course)? This means we will be playing a lot on the beach and wetting our knees in the sea. We wanted to stay either south or west coast as I believe the east coast may be rained out?

Any thoughts will be most useful.

more
    • December 2016 Holiday

Sri Lanka Nov 16, 2016 at 7:27 AM

Hi,

My partner and I are traveling around Sri Lanka for 2 weeks in December (16 December to 03 January) and we are SO excited, but very unfamiliar with the country. We need help with suggestions for accommodation that is both convenient, nice and not too expensive. We have looked online but want a more personal opinion / recommendations.

We are staying in the following places:
      1. Kandy (1 night)
      2. Sigiriya (1 night, after a day in Dambulla)
      3. Kandy (2 nights)
      4. Nuwara Eliya (2 nights)
      5. Ella (2 nights)
      6. Tangalle (3 nights)
      7. Unatawuna (3 nights, day trip to Galle)
      8. Bentota (3 nights)

We aren't sure how much time to dedicate to Ella and Nuwara Eliya, but at the moment those are our plans.

Any suggestions for decent accommodation in those cities would be much appreciated. And even suggestions for our itenerary.

Thanks so much. We are really looking forward to our holiday!

more
    • Tanjavd's Profile Photo

Weekend Beach get-away

by Tanjavd Online Now Oct 21, 2016 at 11:31 PM

We are flying from Mumbai. Which beach towns will you recommend for a quick weekend getaway?
      We just want to chill and lie on the beach with palm trees :)

Thanks
      Tanja

10 Answers Nov 6, 2016 at 8:08 PM
    • JohanW's Profile Photo

Suitcase on buses

by JohanW Online Now Sep 13, 2016 at 12:30 PM

I'm planning a 16 days long backpacking adventure to Sri Lanka in January 2016. But not litterary. Due to problem with my shoulders I'm gonna need a suitcase instead of av backpack.

I've heard there's not much luggage storage in the regular, local buses in Sri Lanka. Will not even a cabin size (and a small backpack) fit?

Is it easy to find bigger, tourist buses just for transportation between places? Like from Kandy or Ella to the east coast or sout coast. This far I've only found tourist companies that offers multi day tours with guided tours, hotels included etc. But I just want the transportation.

Mostly I will go by train, but I need to take buses or mini buses sometimes.

14 Answers Sep 24, 2016 at 2:56 AM
    • Proposed Itinerary for 6 days in Sri Lanka

by AliceTang Online Now Sep 7, 2016 at 3:24 AM

two of us will be travelling to Sri Lanka in Oct for 6 days. ( arrived on 7th Oct night and departure colombo on 14th Oct at 1am
      would like to like what are the best itinerary to cover as many places as we can ?
      any recommendation for agent ?

10 Answers Sep 14, 2016 at 1:05 AM
    • Visitor visa extension fees for UK passport

by Britontour Online Now Aug 21, 2016 at 9:09 AM

I can't find info on this. Do you know?

12 Answers Sep 16, 2016 at 10:24 PM
    • Initerery-New Year

by Moniczka1 Online Now Aug 6, 2016 at 4:16 AM

Hi,
      We have almost completed our December Itinerary to Sri Lanka. We will travel the following direction: Colombo, Habarana, Kandy, Unawatuna and Colombo. I still need to fill in two nights over the New Year period. Can someone please suggest a nice place (beach?) to stop over for the New Year (30.12, 31.12 and 01.01) between Unawatuna and Colombo?
      Thank you :-)

5 Answers Aug 19, 2016 at 5:08 AM
    • How lenient are the immigration officers at Katunayake?

by Britontour Online Now Jul 8, 2016 at 1:31 PM

Will they overlook 2 days of overstay? Were you in this situation before? What happened?

7 Answers Jul 11, 2016 at 5:42 AM
    • Galle ..where is the hotspot?

by HksHopeful Online Now Jun 28, 2016 at 10:39 PM

I'm having a difficult time deciding where to stay in Galle. My only requirement is that I be where the action is (perhaps markets, tourist attractions, beach broad walk etc. I don't want remote. Is this place near Galle fort? I'm guessing galle fort is the place to be in galle? Or is it in some remote area of town. Again, any hotel hotel recommendations? Cost is not a concern.. Just want to be In the center of action. I'm there one or two nights depending on how good the place is. It's my last stop before returning to the airport in colomobo.

Thanks

10 Answers Jun 30, 2016 at 10:15 AM
    • Climbing Sigiriya

by HksHopeful Online Now Jun 28, 2016 at 10:32 PM

I plan to take an early bus from kandy to Dambulla. Instead of going to the hotel/hostel and to To beat the heat, I will take my luggage with me to Sigiriya to be climbing before noon, as recommended. Would prefer to drop my luggage at a hotel but afraid id arrive too late to climb. Afraid of getting heat stroke.

1. Is there a place at Sigiriya to store personal items? If yes, cost?
      2. Are you permitted to climb wearing shoes, or is it just socks to the top?
      3. Is it really worth the $40? If one doesn't climb, does one pay less?
      4. Besides water, a camera and perhaps sunscreen, is there anything else one needs if one does climb?

In case I decide not to stay the night, is there an afternoon bus back to kandy that would arrive before 4pm. The train from Colombo departs at 3pm.

Thank you?

7 Answers Jun 29, 2016 at 4:24 AM
    • Gregi's Profile Photo

Problem obtaining visa online

by Gregi Online Now Jun 27, 2016 at 2:37 PM

Hi, Me and my SO are travelling to Sri Lanka next month, so I've been trying to obtain a visa online, through http://www.eta.gov.lk/ but after I enter my VISA card details, my application doesn't go through. Tried with my wifes Credit Card, same, tried with a different browser, same... anyone else have trouble... what should I do, call an embassy? I'm from Slovenia, Europe...

4 Answers Jun 29, 2016 at 4:30 AM
    • tips for vacation in Sri Lanka

by glenstrup Online Now Jun 22, 2016 at 7:27 AM

We are a familily on 5. to adults 3 kids age. 6-9-12. We are going to sri lanka in september.
      Which place is best at that time thinking of weather? North/East?
      Also please share some recommondations for hotel/resorts with Beach and fun for kids.

14 Answers Jun 23, 2016 at 2:19 AM
    • Street Beggars?

by HksHopeful Online Now Jun 18, 2016 at 9:01 PM

Just curious if one sees a lot of poverty in places like Colombo or Kandy..i.e. People (kids included)coming up to you asking for money? If so, are they legit or are they being sent by someone as a day job? Is it okay to give money and in the case of children, candy bars etc. if you encounter persons with an obvious need, or is it regarded as an insult?
      Thanks!

12 Answers Jul 2, 2016 at 8:17 AM
    • aymank's Profile Photo

National parks

by aymank Online Now Jun 18, 2016 at 2:33 AM

Hi. We are 3 families with children between 3 and 10 years old. Considering a trip to Lanka in October. The plan is to stop in Kandy and go towards Dambulla, climb Sigiriya, do a few temples and national parks. We're also considering Wilpattu park. Is it worth it? As it is a little further out.

Maybe stop in Negombo on the way back to Colombo.

Any opinion/advice is much appreciated

Thanks

3 Answers Jun 19, 2016 at 11:02 PM
    • Hotel / Hostels Rec. In Dambulla ?

by HksHopeful Online Now Jun 16, 2016 at 10:25 PM

Planning to spend one night in Dambulla to visit Sigiriya. Anyone have any hotel/hostel recommendations? Cost is not a major factor, just Prefer somewhere central, if there is a central place in Dambulla.

Also, is one night enough?? Planning to arrive in Dambulla in the morning, head to Sigiriya and cave temple. The next day I will return to kandy to visit Ella!

Are there buses/train from Dambulla to Ella or must I stop in kandy and transfer to Ella? Any hotel/hostel recommendation in Ella? Also is there any thing I must see in Ella? Or am I better off returning colomobo and heading to
      Galle (my last stop) before returning to Colombo and departing the country?

Thank you! Trip almost planned. You all have been extremely helpful! Travelling solo!

2 Answers Jun 17, 2016 at 2:43 AM
    • Cost of Hiring a Tuk Tuk for a day or half day?

by HksHopeful Online Now Jun 16, 2016 at 5:30 PM

When I visited Myanmar several years ago, I found It more convenient to hire a rickshaw for a day to take me around the city. I also paid for his meals and made a friend(we are still in touch).

In a city like Colombo, how much should I be looking to spend to hire a tuk tuk driver for a day to take me around the city? Let's say from 10am to 4pm? Would $20USD be enough?Again, the driver won't be driving the entire time since I'll spend 30 mins to an hour at a time visiting sites. However, the driver would need to wait or go and return if I'm spending more than an hour at a place.

Also, could I hire a tuk tuk to take me from Dambulla to Sigiriya? Cost?

Also,hiring a tuk tuk for a day in Galle? Cost?
      Thank you!

3 Answers Jun 16, 2016 at 11:35 PM
    • From Kandy to?

by HksHopeful Online Now Jun 16, 2016 at 5:16 PM

Hey there! After Colombo and Kandy I want to visit Sigiriya. What's the next city/town I should be visiting that will bring me close to this destination? Is it Dambulla?

Do I take a train or bus from kandy to get there? Are these readily available or should I book online?

If Dambulla, do I need to spend a night there? If yes, can you recommend a centrally located hotel/hostel?

How does one get to Sigiriya from Dambulla? Are their busses? How long and how much should I be looking to spend on transport to and from Sigiriya?

Thanks for your wonderful tips?

2 Answers Jun 16, 2016 at 9:15 PM
    • Cultural Taboos

by HksHopeful Online Now Jun 15, 2016 at 7:02 AM

From perusing this forum I've gathered the following:
      1. Take hats and shoes off when entering temples
      2. No holding hands if you're a gay couple
      3. Dress conservative if single female
      Any others? No touching Buddhas? No photographing locals without permission? No drinking alcohol outdoors?

Thanks

4 Answers Jun 16, 2016 at 11:41 AM
    • Overnight in Kandy: Necessary? Ella and Pollunaruwa: worth it?

by HksHopeful Online Now Jun 15, 2016 at 5:32 AM

Should I take train direct from Colombo to Sigiriyu and stop in kandy on the way back? My purpose for kandy is I must visit the elephant orphanage in pinnawala. Can't Leave Sri Lanka without seeking a wild elephant...

Not sure what else there is in kandy. I also want to visit Ella.. Heard that train ride scenery from kandy to Ella is beautiful. Should I also visit Pollunaruwa? Only have 3 days for kandy, Ella, Sigiriya and Pollunaruwa.

7 Answers Jun 15, 2016 at 8:07 PM
    • Places for Good Curry. Also, places for fresh fish (saltwater)?

by HksHopeful Online Now Jun 15, 2016 at 5:18 AM

Any restaurant in Colombo that is a must? Also, any restuarant/cafe recommendations for Kandy? galle?

5 Answers Jun 17, 2016 at 12:41 AM
    • $38 one way from Colombo airport to the city center? Seriously?

by HksHopeful Online Now Jun 15, 2016 at 5:10 AM

I'm staying at the downtown hotel at 59 Ananda CoomarAswamy Mawatha. I was quoted $38 to have a car take me from main airport. Seems quite high. Tempted to walk. Lol. Anyway, any cheaper options (airport shuttles)? Public bus? I arrive around noon, so plenty of time to get to hotel.

How long does it take to get into the city from the airport?

Thanks for you tip, :-)

7 Answers Jun 15, 2016 at 9:04 AM
    • Tipping? Pickpockets? Colombo?

by HksHopeful Online Now Jun 14, 2016 at 7:38 PM

1. Is Tipping at restaurants and hotels expected?
      2. Any warnings I should pay attention to? Pickpockets at Markets? Train stations?
      3. Will spend 3 days in Colombo before going to Kandy and other places. Is 3 days too much? What are the top 5 things/sites to visit? Any cultural shows, night markets, restaurants I must do/see?
      4. Can Galle be a day trip from Colombo or is it better to spend one night?
      Thank you! ;-)

10 Answers Jun 15, 2016 at 8:14 AM
    • Sri Lanka itinerary

by Moniczka1 Online Now May 31, 2016 at 12:06 PM

Ha guys. Can someone please help me and my husband with planning three weeks itinerary in Sri Lanka. We will be arriving in Colombo on 14.12.16 in the morning. We are thinking to travel for a week inland and then spend two weeks exploring beaches. We would like to spend Christmas on a beautiful beach, any suggestions please? I understand that the best option is to travel by train? We need to be back in Colombo on 02.01.17 ready for our flight back home on 04.01.17. Is this workable please. Any suggestions? Thank you :-) M

11 Answers Jun 3, 2016 at 11:09 AM
    • Safety, transportation and costs

by Vae Online Now May 30, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Hello! Me and my friend are planning to travel to Sri Lanka this August. We are both female students (22) from Croatia.
      We just want to know if it is safe for two girls to travel there, and how hard it is to manage to find all the little places which are not bigger cities like Colombo and Kandy. Where is it best to stay? Does the majority speak english and is it hard to understand how local transportation works (ex. trains which connect villages)?

10 Answers Jun 1, 2016 at 7:12 AM
    • sinharaja rainforest

by hiroy Online Now May 18, 2016 at 12:03 PM

Planning to go to Sinharaja Forest in august. Can't get clear what is the best entrance gate. Is there an entrance where it is possible to do long daywalks on your own or with (a reasonable priced) guide (i am a solo traveller and prefer not to join big groups on naturewalks)

1 Answer May 18, 2016 at 1:11 PM
    • Sri Lanka Late July Itinerary Help

by Kristy-LeeW Online Now May 14, 2016 at 3:34 AM

I m travelling solo to Sri Lanka mid jully for 2 and a bit weeks. I was planning on doing Kandy, Adams Step, and train to Ella. I did book Tallala but now have been told that its not the right time to go down south due to monsoon. I want to meets some other travellers and do a bit of surfing etc. I am female traveller. Help wheres best to go, I m even happy to maybe fly back into India to Kerales.

7 Answers May 16, 2016 at 6:14 AM
    • Sri Lanka Itinerary 13dec-4jan 22 days

by AcySt Online Now Apr 21, 2016 at 2:27 AM

Hi,

Me and bf are planning a trip to sri lanka in december and i basically would like to know if the following itinerary is doable or any suggestions:

14dec arrive colombo airport and go to hotel in negombo

15dec-18dec go to hotel in Sigirya and spent 3 nights (explore dambulla caves and other temples and safari etc)

18dec-21dec go to kandy and explore city and temples (wondering if 3 nights is to long?)

21dec-22dec catch the train to Nuwara Eliya and overnight

22dec-26dec catch train to ella and spend 4 nights (planning on doing trekking,tea plantations,adams peak and time to relax etc)

26dec-27dec move on to Yala national park staying hotel nearby Kartaragma overnight

27dec-28dec Tangalle overnight in a beach chalet 

28dec-30dec Mirissa have 2 nights in a nice hotel 

30dec-2jan Hikkaduwa for a more lively party scene - to visit beaches in Unawatuna and 

2Jan-3JanBentota 

3Jan-4Jan Colombo relax at the Cinnamon Red hotel

4Jan-8Jan Maldives

8Jan-9Jan layover in Dubai

20 Answers May 20, 2016 at 7:17 AM
    • 6 days in sri lanka-can be extended to 7

by iris25 Online Now Mar 22, 2016 at 2:15 AM

Hi me my wife and 3 year old will be in sri lanka for 6, possibly 7 days. we are thinking of visiting the nuwara elya and the southern beaches such as bentota. our tentative plan is
      day 1-arrive in sri lanka(5pm) and travel to bentota(or another southern beach)
      day 2-3chill in beaches, visit galle-still not decided on what else to do
      day 4-go to nuwara eliya
      day 5-stay at nuwara eliya-still not decided on what else to do
      day 6-return to colombo

1.im still not sure if this is too hectic a schedule with a 3 year old.
      2.i get a feeling i must hire a car for the whole otherwise may not be feasible
      3.bentota to elia takes around 5-6 hours-not sure how good the road is-are there many turns and is it uphill. i have the same concern for the trip to colombo as well
      4.will eliya require lots physical activity-with a 3 year old we cant do anything very strenuous
      5. apart from beaches, what else is there to see or do near the the south-west

would really appreciate your feedback

4 Answers Mar 25, 2016 at 10:22 AM
    • Lakshan91's Profile Photo

Any body traveling to srilanka mid of December

by Lakshan91 Online Now Dec 14, 2015 at 6:09 AM

hi there anyone plan to travel srilanka mid of december ?

13 Answers Dec 29, 2015 at 4:47 AM
    • After Trinco

by Julieannab Online Now Nov 28, 2015 at 9:41 AM

I have planned a couple of nights in Kandy followed by Harabana and I'm thinking Trinco next, has anyone got a travel route to suggest thereafter to get to the south west area for my remaining week without returning back along the A6 highway?

1 Answer Nov 28, 2015 at 9:52 AM
    • Looking for a couple people to join us the road from Airport to Tangalle

by TimaP Online Now Nov 19, 2015 at 12:51 AM

Hello everybody! We're going to visit this amazing country on November, 30th. Looking for a couple people to get from Airport to Tangalle together to reduce the price for taxi. Who wants to join us, please write me. Our arrival Dec 30, 8.30 a.m.

• boasnovas's Profile Photo

car/driver

by boasnovas Online Now Oct 19, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Can anyone recommend a car/driver and how much they should charge a day?
      tks

4 Answers Oct 27, 2015 at 12:43 PM