South Mission Beach

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Great Barrier Reef - base location

Cairns Oct 18, 2016 at 1:50 AM

Hi - I'm travelling to Cairns for 5 days in the last week of December. This is the last leg of my holiday in Australia and we will be returning to London from Cairns. We are family of 3 with a 11 year old. We are interested in snorkelling and scuba diving in the outer reef and may be some watersports. Not keen on rainforest etc. I'm struggling to find a good base for the GBR exploration. Do I stay in Cairns and take one of the tours (will make it easier flight-wise) or do I stay in one of the beach resorts? Budget isn't a big consideration and a luxury option would be just fine. Many thanks for your help.

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Great Barrier Reef

State of Queensland Oct 1, 2016 at 7:59 AM

I am very interested in snorkeling (not scuba diving) the Great Barrier Reef. So far, I know the better time of the year would be between May and October. Does anyone know, specifically, when the best month to visit is? I'm concerned if there is any particular time when it's more dangerous such as more sharks are in the area because the water temperature changes. Thanks for your help!