Smeerling

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• I forgot my tramadol

Amsterdam 31 minutes ago

Can I get tramadol 50mg tabs over the counter. I arrived today and noticed I forgot my meds.im going to be here for 3 weeks so need my meds. I have a copy of my irish prescription. What do I do next. Pls help

more
    • Remembrance Day and Liberation Day - for tourists

Amsterdam Apr 17, 2016 at 8:50 PM

I will be in Amsterdam on May 4th and 5th, and was wondering what a tourist should do on those days. So I looked things up and came to the following conclusions - and questions:

May 4th - Remembrance Day:
      The place to be (or try to be, due to the crowds!) is the main memorial ceremony at 20:00. There isn't much else for the tourist. Another couple of things I noticed:
      (1) The "Silent March" led by the mayor of Amsterdam, from Dam Square (17:45) to Museumplein.
      (2) Open Jewish houses, where stories are related about the war period. However, it isn't clear to me whether this is only in Dutch or there are some locations in which the stories are told in English. If there are stories in English, where do you suggest I go?

May 5th - Liberation Day:
      The general impression I get is to just walk around the center of town (from what time?) and one will 'bump into' all sorts of festivities. Should I concentrate on a specific area?
      And, of course, the (free) Amstel concert at 21:00. Exactly where along the Amstel will it be? In the Magere Brug area only? Or all along the river?

Thanks.

more
    • The Hague on weekends

The Hague Apr 22, 2016 at 2:05 AM

I was originally planning to go the Hague on Friday, May 6th, as I prefer going to tourist sites on weekdays. However, I just realized that the Alkmaar Cheese Market is only on Fridays and would like to visit it. As far as the tourist is concerned, is there any difference between visiting the Hague on Sunday, May 8th as opposed to Friday May 6th? Substantially bigger crowds?
      The sites I want to see are Mesdag, Escher Museum, Madurodam and the Peace Palace, as well as wandering around the King's Palace and Parliament. All sites (except Parliament) are open on Sundays. The King's Palace is never open to the public.
      Another theoretical alternative would be to visit the Hague on Saturday May 7th, but that would be somewhat inconvenient for me.
      What do you think? Thanks.

more
    • PARKING in Amsterdam

Amsterdam Apr 21, 2016 at 11:50 PM

Where in Amsterdam , you can safely park your car? Are there safe car parks?
      I'm planning a short trip for one day.

more
    • pedroswift's Profile Photo

WiFi in Netherlands???

Netherlands Apr 15, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Looking for advice on what to use while touring the waterways of Holland to give me access to the web.
      In Oz I have a 3G wifi modem linked to phone service that allows me access with a couple of computers.
      Not sure about the 3G bit??? What equivalent device can I purchase when I arrive?

more
    • Amsterdam Travel Ticket (ATT)

Provincie Noord-Holland Apr 23, 2016 at 12:35 PM

Two questions:
      (1) I will be using a 3-day ATT (€25). On one of those days, I will be traveling to Alkmaar for the morning (Friday cheese market) by train from my Schiphol airport hotel (I will be touring Amsterdam in the afternoon and evening). The route to Alkmaar requires me to change trains at Sloterdijk. The trip from Schiphol to Sloterdijk is covered by the ATT, so I presume I just have to pay for the journey from Sloterdijk to Alkmaar. Technically, how do I do this? Do I go to the ticket window at Schiphol - explaining the situation, of course - and buy a ticket Sloterdijk -> Alkmaar?
      (2) From reading both the ATT and GVB sites, I understand that, with the ATT, I have to 'check-in' at the beginning of each journey and 'check-out' at its end. This system is quite different from those in other European cities I have been to. I imagine this is similar to a 'ticket validation' process - at both ends. OK. This I can understand for trains and metros with their mass transit 'gates' at the entrance/exit of a station. But what happens with trams and buses? Do I also have to go through check-in and check-out and, if so, how is it technically done?
      Thanks.

more
    • bandanna's Profile Photo

anonymous OV-chipkaart balance check

Amsterdam Apr 18, 2016 at 6:55 AM

This used to be easy to do online, but seemingly not-so-much anymore.
      If anyone has a link to the place on the GVB site where I can punch in my sixteen numbers to check my balance, that will be most appreciated.

more
    • COMPARING WHERE TO STAY - CITY OR NEAR AIRPORT

Amsterdam Apr 10, 2016 at 8:37 AM

I have been to Amsterdam twice before. Last year I stayed at a hotel in the museum quarter which was not great, but not terrible either. The location was absolutely perfect. I will love to stay there again, but would not be able to afford it because of our currency being very poor lately. I looked into hotels near the airport which are much more affordable. I am trying to compare total cost, taking daily transport into the city into account. I normally use the 197 airport bus which is much more convenient than the train. Can anyone give me advise on this.

more
    • restaurants/cafes in leiden

Leiden Apr 12, 2016 at 2:40 AM

I'm staying at the Golden Tulip hotel leiden centre. I would like to eat out at night near to my hotel.Does anyone have any suggestions

more
    • Checking in unaccompanied luggage into transit hall

Schiphol Apr 6, 2016 at 12:22 AM

We have enjoyed a great holiday in The Netherlands. My Schengen visa runs out on 30/6, but our flight back home from Schiphol doesn't leave till 15/7. We plan to fly to Ireland on 30/6, have a holiday there and then fly back to Schiphol to connect with Cathay Pacific flight on 15/7. All good, however I want to leave a suitcase behind in the Netherlands with a friend, who will deliver it to Schiphol on 15/7. I will have to stay in transit. How can we check in the suitcase to connect with our flight home, without me being there?

more
    • Windmills in Schermerhorn

Schermerhorn Apr 25, 2016 at 3:54 AM

I am going to the Alkmaar cheese market (from Amsterdam) on Friday, May 6th. I noticed that the village of Schermerhorn, about 10 km east of Alkmaar, has some beautiful - and working - windmills, which are typically Dutch, so I am considering going there after the cheese market.
      My question is: How practical is it to see the windmills without a car? I know bus #129 goes every 30-60 minutes from Alkmaar to Schermerhorn (I have the schedule). At which bus stop in Schermerhorn should I get off to stroll around and see the most windmills? How much walking would be involved? Of course, doing this would be 100% weather-dependent. :)
      I am also aware of the local windmill museum, but not sure if I would like use up my time seeing it, especially since I will be visiting Molen de Ardiaan in Haarlem.
      Your opinions and ideas would be most welcome. :) Thanks.

more
    • Karencoko's Profile Photo

Help needed

Amsterdam Apr 21, 2016 at 10:36 PM

My husband and I (in our early 30`s) are arriving in Amsterdam 11/05-16/05, 4 full days.
      We have been in Amsterdam once, and visited Van Gogh, Rijkmuseum, Heineken Experience, Anne Frank House and Madamme Tussauds.
      One day I want to be dedicated to shopping and I was wondering which day would be the best and not too crowded (THURSDAY, FRIDAY, SATURDAY OR MONDAY?)
      What would you reccomend us to do? What to do and not to miss?
      Last question! We are celebrating our anniversary and I want to reserve a special dinner for the 2
      I want a special and cool place; something different :D

Your help will help us a lot!
      THANKS!!!

more
    • Grote Markt (Saturdays)

Haarlem Apr 21, 2016 at 10:46 AM

I will be in the Amsterdam area the first week of May and am considering going to Haarlem for at least a half day.
      One of the sites I want to see is the very active Saturday Grote Markt. What time does it start and approximately what time does the market reach its full activity? Ideally I would like to get there as early as possible. Thanks.

more
    • dustmon's Profile Photo

Together again in Amsterdam

Amsterdam Apr 19, 2016 at 6:39 AM

Hey y'all---been awhile since I checked in at VT---my wife (who I met because she read some of my Adam reviews on VT!) and I are finally coming back together for a visit----got a great houseboat for 9 nights and hoping for some good
      weather during the last week of May---We want to take the 10 euro bus from Central Station north as one of our day trips (that's still an option correct?)Also want to take the train to Zanvoort area if warm enough for a beach visit...
      Staying on the Prinsengracht close to Harlemerstraat----any specifically good places to eat close to that?
      Saw a question about Texel that sounded interesting but maybe too far away for a day trip? VT reviewers are the best!

more
    • Utretch - Free car parking

Utrecht Apr 27, 2016 at 12:33 PM

We are staying in Utrecht for one night mid-week in September, and have accommodations within a 15 minute walk of Cathedral Square.

Does anyone know of a place I can park my car for free for 24 hours? I don't mine walking a bit to get to and from the car.

Thanks

more
    • grandmaR's Profile Photo

What to do with Free Time?

Netherlands Apr 9, 2016 at 1:25 PM

I am going to be starting a river cruise on April 21st where my primary goal is to see the Keukenhof gardens

I will have most of the day April 21st free in Amsterdam

On the 22nd we will do
      a canal tour of Amsterdam
      Have a brief walking tour of Hoorn
      Tour (by bus) and cheese tasting at Edam
      Finish at Vollendam

On the 23rd we will be in Arnhem
      Free after noon in Nijmegen

On the 25th we cruise through Zeeland and are in Terneuzen

On the 26th we have a walking tour and organ recital in Willemstad
      dock in Dordrecht, motor coach to Kinderdjik and moor in
      Schoonhaven overnight

The 27th we go to Keukenhof and Zaanse Schans

I am not absolutely sure that I will be able to do all these walking tours. I am pretty sure I can do the canal tour of Amsterdam and I know that I can do some of Kinderdjik and Keukenhof. I really want to get to Vollendam and since we are going by bus, I think that will be possible for me. So if they tell me that I can't keep up or do the walking tours on my scooter (Arnhem where I would like to see the palace) and Willemstad, what else can I do in those places?

Would it be worth it to try to go to Marken on the 21st? When my parents and I were in the Netherlands in 1950, I know we went to both Marken and Vollendam, but I have not been able to identify the photos from Marken. I'd like to buy a birthstone ring for my granddaughter. Is there a good jewelry store (good quality and not too expensive) in Amsterdam that I should consider? I want a plain sapphire ring with a few diamonds.

more