VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Sintra Travel Answers

change location

Sintra and restaurants

by x07afb Online Now Jul 5, 2011 at 2:29 PM

My fiancée and I are traveling to Portugal this September for our honeymoon. Although I still have some planning to do, I have a pretty good idea of our itinerary. We are only there about eight days. I would love to stay longer but time does not allow.
The plan is to spend 3 days in Lisbon, and then head to Sintra for two nights. I know that from reading several comments that have been posted, the general consensus is that Sintra is a daytrip, however I am going to stay there for two nights – the nighttime in Sintra comes highly recommended from a friend of mine who says that Sintra is pretty magical in the night when everyone leaves. I think that having a relaxed quiet atmosphere in Sintra would be nice for us – hopefully we’ll be craving peace and quiet by then. Plus, our previous few days in Lisbon will be spent in the Bairro Alto neighborhood, which I am told has a nice vibrant city feel.
My question about Sintra is this: is it a good area for restaurants and wine? We certainly do enjoy the two, and if anyone could even recommend a couple of restaurants in Sintra that we could check out during our time there, that would be much appreciated. I don’t mind that it’s a daytrip locale, but I wouldn’t want to get there only to realize that there isn’t anything by way of cuisine for people who are spending the night. Any suggestions?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • monicarc's Profile Photo

Re: Sintra and restaurants

by monicarc Online Now Jul 5, 2011 at 2:54 PM

check out my sintra page for a yummy place in sintra to eat!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • myriam_c's Profile Photo

Re: Sintra and restaurants

by myriam_c Online Now Aug 12, 2011 at 2:45 PM

A very good idea to spend two nights in Sintra. It is indeed a magical place after the daytrippers have gone.
    If you want to visit some of the palaces and gardens two days won't nearly be enough! We spent 5 days there this June (we also went to the beach) and we were never bored.
    As to restaurants, we found Tulhas to be good. Anyway, avoid Café de Paris: a real ripp of.

• Re: Sintra and restaurants

by Brunoandrade Online Now Jun 27, 2013 at 7:03 AM

You should try the Ribeirinha de colares restaurant which is like 8 kms away from Sintra in the beach direction. If you are looking for a romantic place to stay just 5minutes walk to the Sintra historic centre Check out www.casadesaomiguel.com
    Have a Nice stay.
    Bruno

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines