VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Shannon Travel Answers

change location

Stay in Shannon

by dorrah Online Now Nov 7, 2005 at 2:13 AM

Hi there !!!
I've just booked 2 plane tickets to Shannon and, as a matter of fact, I don't have a clue where to stay in there. I and my boyfriend are staying only for one night (or two) and we are looking for a really cheap accomodation, as this "trip" was unplanned - the pane tickets were really chep and I wanted to visit Ireland so much ;)
We will be in there in the beggining of february, so we have plenty of time to think ... But still I think it would be easier to know a little from you. Greetings,
Dagmara

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • donalh's Profile Photo

RE: Stay in Shannon

by donalh Online Now Nov 7, 2005 at 3:13 AM

Well, first of all, there is nothing in Shannon, so you must travel a bit. Also, if I was only spending a couple of nights in Ireland, I wouldn't spend them in Limerick. Counties Kerry or Clare are ideal. Dingle or Kenmare in Kerry or Ballyvaughan / Doolin in Clare. Galway City is also an option - all are within a two hour drive of Shannon. You will find good hostels in most of these places for about €25 a head. Good luck.

Donal

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • orlikins's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Stay in Shannon

by orlikins Online Now Nov 7, 2005 at 6:35 AM

Limerick is OK for an overnight stay - it is the nearest city to the airport (about 20 miles away) and you have plenty of good bars & restaurants. You'd have to go to Limerick anyway to get your bus/train connections to all the main Irish cities and towns.

Shannon is an industrial craphole, it's just a place where the airport workers live, nothing there at all.

• irisht's Profile Photo

RE: Stay in Shannon

by irisht Online Now Nov 7, 2005 at 10:52 AM

You can't get cheaper than http://www.couchsurfing.com

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines