VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Travel Answers
Scotland

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Oban SYHA hostel

Oban Jan 6, 2017 at 11:41 AM

Looking for comment or review on this place. In particular, the three or four bedded lodge.

more
    • whatshesaid's Profile Photo

World Nomad Insurance

Scotland Jan 2, 2017 at 9:28 PM

Hi. Has anyone used this for the rental car CDW insurance? In the fine print it says some won't accept it. That is the main reason I am buying travelers insurance. Thanks

more
    • day trips out of Oban

Scotland Jan 2, 2017 at 7:11 PM

Looking for ideas of day trips out of Oban (other than the islands). We won't have a car so will be depending on public transportation. Have an 11 year with us who likes castles, medieval history, and fiddle music.

THanks,

more
    • Traveling with baby for 1 month in Scotland. Help please!

Scotland Dec 31, 2016 at 10:14 AM

Hi there,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Scotland in the month of June. As we will be traveling with our baby daughter, we're hoping to find an area to base ourselves for the month (or split our time between two home bases; a couple of weeks in each place). We will be renting a car from Glasgow and returning to Glasgow at the end of the month. We would like to see the Highlands (possibly the Isle of Skye) and castles. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

more
    • Oban SYHA hostel

Oban Jan 6, 2017 at 11:41 AM

Looking for comment or review on this place. In particular, the three or four bedded lodge.

2 Answers Jan 6, 2017 at 2:11 PM
    • whatshesaid's Profile Photo

World Nomad Insurance

Scotland Jan 2, 2017 at 9:28 PM

Hi. Has anyone used this for the rental car CDW insurance? In the fine print it says some won't accept it. That is the main reason I am buying travelers insurance. Thanks

4 Answers Jan 3, 2017 at 10:45 PM
    • day trips out of Oban

Scotland Jan 2, 2017 at 7:11 PM

Looking for ideas of day trips out of Oban (other than the islands). We won't have a car so will be depending on public transportation. Have an 11 year with us who likes castles, medieval history, and fiddle music.

THanks,

6 Answers Jan 7, 2017 at 2:04 PM
    • Traveling with baby for 1 month in Scotland. Help please!

Scotland Dec 31, 2016 at 10:14 AM

Hi there,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Scotland in the month of June. As we will be traveling with our baby daughter, we're hoping to find an area to base ourselves for the month (or split our time between two home bases; a couple of weeks in each place). We will be renting a car from Glasgow and returning to Glasgow at the end of the month. We would like to see the Highlands (possibly the Isle of Skye) and castles. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

11 Answers Jan 2, 2017 at 4:31 AM
    • Driving from Airport to the City

Edinburgh Nov 5, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Arrival June 2015

If we pick up a rental car in the morning is there a good place to park near the western side of the city? I'm guessing parking then taking public transport is advisable. In hopes of doing so by around noon would there likely be time to visit some attractions in that area? Perhaps the castle if we're alert enough? G-g-grandparents were married in St. Cuthbert's so that's a must. Driving into the city proper seems unwise.

We're staying in Musselburgh and would like to see something of Edinburgh before heading that way. The route looks quite straightforward but I wonder about late afternoon traffic. Should we wait until sometime after 6:00 PM to avoid rush hour? 

Many thanks!

25 Answers Nov 6, 2016 at 5:27 AM
    • Skye to Dingwall?

Scotland Nov 4, 2016 at 4:13 PM

Which is more scenic, driving along Loch Ness or the northerly route?
      Which would likely take less time?

7 Answers Nov 5, 2016 at 10:26 AM
    • wmeylia75's Profile Photo

First time visit to Edinburgh, Scotland .. I need some advises.

Edinburgh Oct 29, 2016 at 6:00 AM

Hi .. I need some ideas / opinions what is the closest / nearest hotel (4 stars hotel) to Waverley Station? As what come into my mind now from searching online, I have 2 hotels preferences in Edinburgh to stay : Old Town Chambers & Fraser Suites Edinburgh.

I'm planning to have my tour to Scotland from London, so I will be arriving Edinburgh from London by train in the afternoon, and the next morning we are planning to join for the tour to the Highland and SKYE, and the tour will depart from 1 Parliament Square, Royal Mile, Edinburgh. That's why I'm looking for the closest hotel to the Royal Mile and Waverley Station as well. So anyone of you can give me your ideas please? Which one of that 2 is nicer and closer to both 1 Parliament Square and Waverley Station.

Besides, as we plan to arrive Edinburgh on 13th December in the afternoon, we will have 1 night to spend to stroll around Edinburgh, on the 14th - 16th December we will have our tour outside Edinburgh, and on 16th december at night will be back Edinburgh staying for 1 more night, on 17 December evening around 3pm we will be heading back to London by train. So do you think can we have enough time to stroll around for some nice and interesting places in Edinburgh for less than 2 days in total?

Usually in December how many degrees the weather in Scotland (Edinburgh, The highland and SKYE) and what should we bring as this is my first time visit to Scotland, so I want to have my memorable and enjoyable holiday in Scotland :-) Should we bring raincoat, umbrella, etc?

Thank you so much and your ideas / advise will be so appreciated.

9 Answers Nov 3, 2016 at 3:13 PM
    • Xmas restaurants on a budget

Edinburgh Oct 17, 2016 at 9:12 AM

Are there any take away / fast food restaurants open in Edinburgh on Xmas day ?

2 Answers Oct 18, 2016 at 3:13 PM
    • Itinerary for the Scotish countryside

Scotland Oct 16, 2016 at 3:01 PM

If I depart from either Edinburg or Glasgow and want to spend 5 days touring the best of the Scottish experience, what should be some of my must sees. I will be driving, and rather spend more time enjoying a site than rushing to get in as much as possible. A few castles, lochs, glens, small villages , and perhaps a view of the seacoast would be great. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks, Neil

9 Answers Dec 20, 2016 at 11:53 AM
    • wmeylia75's Profile Photo

Should I bring my big luggage on my visit to Scotland from London?

Edinburgh Oct 16, 2016 at 3:03 AM

I'm from Indonesia and planning to visit Scotland from London this coming December 2016. My itinerary will be start in London on my first arrival, then on the 3rd day, I'm planning to go to Edinburgh by train for 5-6 days and I'm just wondering if is it possible to bring my big luggage about 24" and cabin luggage with me in the train to Edinburgh? or should I just leave the big luggage in the left luggage in London station? since this is my first visit to UK and Scotland, so it would be so appreciated if anyone can give us advise or suggestion for this matter. Thank you so much for your help.

17 Answers Oct 24, 2016 at 7:24 AM
    • Barra Outer Hebrides

The Hebrides Sep 24, 2016 at 6:44 AM

Any experience with travel to Barra? Also what about ferry from Barra to Eriskay?

2 Answers Sep 24, 2016 at 9:40 AM
    • Edinburgh to glasgow

Edinburgh Sep 16, 2016 at 7:22 PM

I need to make the 0548 sleeper at glasgow station but my hotel is in edinburgh. What are my options for transportation at this time

9 Answers Sep 19, 2016 at 4:51 AM
    • How safe is it to leave a rental car with luggage while we take walks in the Highlands?

Scotland Sep 8, 2016 at 12:33 PM

Since walks and hikes are such an integral part of a Highlands trip this question has been bugging me. We'd like to stop off for a 3-4 hour walk in Glencoe between our B&B stops in Oban and Plockton however we'll have our bags with us. Oddly enough this is the only time that it will be a problem. I suppose that we could re-arrange our day trips however we'd be doubling back to see the area - not that it would be a hardship! Anyway, can any see a problem with leaving our worldly belongings in a road-side car park for a few hours? Thanks, Pete

12 Answers Sep 12, 2016 at 3:24 PM
    • Visiting Scotland for the first time

Scotland Aug 28, 2016 at 1:12 AM

We re planning to visit Scotland between christmas and new year and would like some advice please. Read that its best not to drive in Edinburgh so we re planning to rent a car after we visit there. We have only 6 days in total and would like to make the best of them. As to accomodation we would like to have a fixed base and we change only once. We prefere to stay in cottages.
      Thanks a lot.

Marica

6 Answers Aug 29, 2016 at 5:49 PM
    • Usual duration for a short term flat rental in Glasgow

Glasgow Aug 26, 2016 at 7:30 AM

What is the usual duration for a short-term contract when you rent a flat in Glasgow?

On many websites it just says short or long term without any time specification.
      I heard that most of the landlords prefer to put 6 months as minimum term, because of the short assured tenancies law.

Would it possible to find something shorter such as 2 or 3 months?
      Any suggestion would be welcome.

Thanks.
      Tomás

5 Answers Aug 27, 2016 at 11:54 AM
    • Transportation Alternatives at Isle of Islay Airport

Islay Aug 22, 2016 at 2:39 PM

What might be some transportation choices one might find at the Isle of Islay Airport traveling to Skerrol House hotel in Bridgen Islay

1 Answer Aug 22, 2016 at 3:18 PM
    • evaanna's Profile Photo

Remedy for midges?

Scotland Aug 16, 2016 at 11:25 PM

We are travelling to Scotland next month and I have just read there are lots of midges in the area where we will be staying for two or three days. Do you know any way of protecting oneself against them?

11 Answers Nov 2, 2016 at 7:22 PM
    • DaisyWhite's Profile Photo

Travel questions

Edinburgh Aug 1, 2016 at 12:37 PM

¿Cuantos dias se deben dedicar a Edimburgo? ¿Es posible desde allí tomar tours locales para recorrer las Tierras Altas y otros puntos de interés? ¿Es indispensable reservar hoteles con antelación?

How many days you need to visit Edinburgh? Is it possible to take local tours from this city to visit the Highlands and other interesting places? Is it necessary hotel booking previously? The same questions for Glasgow.

5 Answers Aug 1, 2016 at 5:05 PM
    • What is the best way to travel around area south of Glasgow?

Glasgow Jul 29, 2016 at 9:10 AM

We will be traveling on a tour in Scotland. But I want to arrive a few days early to visit Troon and Turnburry. We will be staying at the Culzean castle. Should we travel by train? Rent a car? Get a guide? I have only driving on ohter side of the road in New Zealand...not much traffic.
      Thanks
      Cathy

8 Answers Aug 2, 2016 at 3:11 PM
    • What is the best way to travel around area south of Glasgow?

Glasgow Jul 29, 2016 at 9:05 AM

We will be traveling on a tour in Scotland. But I want to arrive a few days early to visit Troon and Turnburry. We will be staying at the Culzean castle. Should we travel by train? Rent a car? Get a guide? I have only driving on ohter side of the road in New Zealand...not much traffic.
      Thanks
      Cathy

2 Answers Jul 29, 2016 at 10:45 AM
    • sammie's Profile Photo

How to get to castle from chapel

Roslin Jul 13, 2016 at 2:37 AM

Is it possible to get to the castle from the chapel site? Or do we need to walk around the whole site and cross the river North Esk. I can not find any clear answers on the website of the Rosslyn chapel.

Thanks for your reply!

3 Answers Jul 16, 2016 at 1:24 PM
    • lucy321's Profile Photo

Fife coastal path

Scotland Jul 6, 2016 at 1:08 AM

Hello,

I think we will have a day trip tomorrow from Edinburgh to St. Andrews along the coast by train and bus, as per my travel question yesterday. Thanks for all the great answers. I am planning to follow Fergie's route via Dunfermline by train, then bus to st Andrews, stopping off at Anstruther and Crail.

Then two or three hours in St. Andrews, then train to Edinburgh.

How does that sound in terms of enjoyment and time feasibility? Happy to get back to Edinburgh about 8.30 or so.

Thanks,
      Lucy

3 Answers Jul 7, 2016 at 9:25 AM
    • lucy321's Profile Photo

East Neuk via public transport

Scotland Jul 5, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Hello,

Im in Edinburgh until Monday, and a friend had suggested that a day to East Neuk might be nice. I don't have a car so I was wondering what the best way to go about this by bus or train might be, or whether it is too problematic and I should leave it out.

Thanks!

9 Answers Jul 7, 2016 at 12:09 AM
    • mcwhiting's Profile Photo

hotel glasgow

Glasgow Jun 30, 2016 at 12:57 AM

I am going to be in Glasgow from Aug 8 to Aug 12 and am trying to find a reasonable hotel for myself and my brother. We will need 2 beds and I am not sure what 2 beds per room it is called. Any good suggestions. We are planning 1 day to go on an Outlander tour and then spending time in Edinburgh. Is there a train then goes from directly from the airport in Edinburgh to Glasgow. Thanks for suggestions in advance,

Maureen

11 Answers Jul 1, 2016 at 1:38 PM
    • mcwhiting's Profile Photo

hotel glasgow

Glasgow Jun 30, 2016 at 12:57 AM

I am going to be in Glasgow from Aug 8 to Aug 12 and am trying to find a reasonable hotel for myself and my brother. We will need 2 beds and I am not sure what 2 beds per room it is called. Any good suggestions. We are planning 1 day to go on an Outlander tour and then spending time in Edinburgh. Is there a train then goes from directly from the airport in Edinburgh to Glasgow. Thanks for suggestions in advance,

Maureen

10 Answers Jun 30, 2016 at 6:30 AM
    • Sleeper Bus/Train Arrangments

Scotland Jun 10, 2016 at 10:20 AM

I am traveling to Scotland in July. My friends and I were hoping to catch a sleeper bus/train from Edinburgh to London on July 2nd. Mega Bus Gold is booked that night and the trains don't seem to run overnight on Saturdays. Any other options I haven't found yet?

8 Answers Jun 10, 2016 at 6:54 PM
    • Few queries regarding Edinburgh Trip

Edinburgh Jun 9, 2016 at 7:32 AM

Hi,
      I am from Dublin and would like to visit Edinburgh in July with wife and 2 kids. Please help me to plan my trip.

1. Is there any public transport available from the Edinburgh airport to Edinburgh city centre?

2. What is the mode to pay for travel in Scotland (Edinburgh) via public transport - Coins & Notes (Sterling) / Credit or Debit cards / Travel Cards? Would I be able to buy tickets via Irish visa debit cards from the driver?

2. Any theme parks accessible via public transport in Edinburgh?

3. How to reach M&D's - Scotlands theme park in Edinburgh from city centre?

Appreciate your help...

6 Answers Jun 10, 2016 at 12:54 AM
    • CarinaSH's Profile Photo

Car rental

Scotland Jun 5, 2016 at 10:52 AM

Hi! I am going to visit Scotland with a friend sometime this year. We wish to experience as much as possible (without blowing our budgets as we are both students) to do that we were thinking of renting a car. We plan on starting our trip in Edinburgh, driving through Glasgow and work our way up to Inverness before returning to Edinburgh  The only problem is that we are 18 and 19 years old, and to rent a car from a company you have to be at least 21... Does anyone know of a way for us to rent a car at our age? We both have a license

5 Answers Sep 8, 2016 at 9:32 PM
    • AgnesZeon's Profile Photo

Cheaper to buy day tour packages locally than online?

Edinburgh Jun 3, 2016 at 8:10 PM

I will be at Edinburgh for 3 days early July. Thinking of going to Loch to see if I can find Nessie :p and maybe take a look at the Scottish highlands .So my questions are :
      1) is it cheaper to buy day packages locally at Edinburgh? Or cheaper to book online?
      2) is Loch Ness accessible by train? able to do free and easy sightseeing? Cheaper than option 1?

Btw I will be staying at one of the Destiny student double room with private bathroom. If any lady travelling solo would like to share the room at 33 pounds per night, let me know :D

7 Answers Jun 4, 2016 at 11:58 AM
    • Gorkhali's Profile Photo

Single 40 yr traveler...iteneary and tour company? Whisky, sites, may be golf!

Scotland May 30, 2016 at 10:59 PM

Hi, I have an opportunity to take a side trip for 5-7 days while for business in London. Ideally it would include the highlights of Scotland, may be few really cool distilleries....single I will be traveling alone....any suggestion on a tour company or itineraries. Budget is reasonable. something between hostels and fancy hotels :)

Thanks in advance.

2 Answers May 31, 2016 at 4:19 AM