change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Zurich area getaway

Zürich Dec 3, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Hi Everyone

My husband and I will this year spend Christmas in Zurich. After Christmas we would like to spend 2-3 days near Zurich enjoying the beautiful Swiss nature, before departing from Zurich airport on December 29.

We are looking for something in the mountain where we can enjoy the picturesque landscape and the snow. We don't ski but we would like to be able to go for some walks and enjoy the nature.
      We are therefore looking for some advise of which areas we should look for and might even a hotel recommendation?
      We would prefer a nice small hotel in the nature, maybe even with a spa where we can relax.
      Our budget is somewhere around CHF 150-300 per night.

/Janet

more
    • Zurich on Christmas Eve

Zürich Nov 28, 2016 at 8:04 AM

Hi, just posted this in the Lucerne forum, but since we are spending Christmas Eve in Zurich I thought it should be posted in Zurich's forum. Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

I am a mom traveling with my three kids, ages 17, 19 and 20. The plan is to take a train from Munich on Wednesday, December 21, arriving in Lucerne at 6 pm. We have a tentative hotel reservation at Hotels Des Alps, but can still cancel with no penalty if anyone had a better suggestion.
      I am slightly overwhelmed at the various options of things to do, and really want this to be an unforgettable experience for the kids. I keep looking at various tours from Viator and other companies to Mt Titlus and Mt Pilatus, but it is still not clear to me which of those two would be more enjoyable for my teen/adult kids.
      We need to end up in Zurich and spend the night there on the night of December 24, Christmas Eve, so that I can take a 7am flight out of Zurich to Barcelona on Christmas morning.

So here are my questions:
      1. Is Hotel Des Alpes in Lucerne a decent hotel in a good location to use as a base for a two days?
      Just thinking one day trip to either Mt. Titlus or Mt. Pilatus, and the other day spent exploring old town in Lucerne.
      Would love suggestions for a restaurant in Lucerne for a nice dinner.

2. What trip from Lucerne would be a better experience, Mt Pilatus or Mt Titlus?
      Should we book a tour with a company or just figure out how to get there on our own? We would do this on either Thursday 12/22 or Friday 12/23 so I am assuming the restaurants and other attractions at the top would not be closed.

3. On the morning of Christmas Eve we will take a train from Lucerne to Zurich. So with just one day in Zurich, can anyone suggest what area to stay in and what to do...as in is there a good guided tour of Zurich that would last a few hours, or are we better off just picking a nice hotel in a walkable area and exploring that on our own. Are most of the shops and restaurants closed on Christmas Eve? I would actually like to stay in a nice hotel since it is Christmas Eve, and would love restaurant suggestions for a very nice Christmas Eve dinner in Zurich. So I would love hotel and restaurant and things to do in one day, please.

I know this a lot to ask but it is getting close and I need help and need to get these thing booked.
      Thank you very much!

more
    • Lucerne and Zurich from December 21 to 25

Lucerne Nov 28, 2016 at 8:00 AM

I am a mom traveling with my three kids, ages 17, 19 and 20. The plan is to take a train from Munich on Wednesday, December 21, arriving in Lucerne at 6 pm. We have a tentative hotel reservation at Hotels Des Alps, but can still cancel with no penalty if anyone had a better suggestion.
      I am slightly overwhelmed at the various options of things to do, and really want this to be an unforgettable experience for the kids. I keep looking at various tours from Viator and other companies to Mt Titlus and Mt Pilatus, but it is still not clear to me which of those two would be more enjoyable for my teen/adult kids.
      We need to end up in Zurich and spend the night there on the night of December 24, Christmas Eve, so that I can take a 7am flight out of Zurich to Barcelona on Christmas morning.

So here are my questions:
      1. Is Hotel Des Alpes in Lucerne a decent hotel in a good location to use as a base for a two days?
      Just thinking one day trip to either Mt. Titlus or Mt. Pilatus, and the other day spent exploring old town in Lucerne.
      Would love suggestions for a restaurant in Lucerne for a nice dinner.

2. What trip from Lucerne would be a better experience, Mt Pilatus or Mt Titlus?
      Should we book a tour with a company or just figure out how to get there on our own? We would do this on either Thursday 12/22 or Friday 12/23 so I am assuming the restaurants and other attractions at the top would not be closed.

3. On the morning of Christmas Eve we will take a train from Lucerne to Zurich. So with just one day in Zurich, can anyone suggest what area to stay in and what to do...as in is there a good guided tour of Zurich that would last a few hours, or are we better off just picking a nice hotel in a walkable area and exploring that on our own. Are most of the shops and restaurants closed on Christmas Eve? I would actually like to stay in a nice hotel since it is Christmas Eve, and would love restaurant suggestions for a very nice Christmas Eve dinner in Zurich. So I would love hotel and restaurant and things to do in one day, please.

I know this a lot to ask but it is getting close and I need help and need to get these thing booked.
      Thank you very much!

more
    • Christmas Eve Mass, Dinner, Hotel in Zurich

Zürich Dec 4, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Thank you for those who had advice about Christmas Eve in Zurich.
      So just a few more questions...

1. I can't seem to find info online about a mass on Christmas Eve. We are Catholic and only speak English, but would be fine attending any denomination church service on Christmas Eve that is not in English. Perhaps some singing, or a midnight mass, I just need help finding any info.

2. We arrive at 11 am in Zurich, by train from Lucerne. Will be flying out of Zurich at 7 am on Christmas morning.
      I want Christmas Eve to feel like the most special day of our trip, and therefore this is not a budget day. So I have looked at many hotels, and have narrowed it down to
      Hotel St. Gotthard,
      Hotel Arlene Bein Hauptbahnhof,
      Hotel Bristol,
      Zurich Marriott and
      Dolder Grand.

Any input or suggestions about which to choose for one night would be appreciated.

3. I am wondering if all of the shops and restaurants on the shopping streets and old town will be closed since Christmas Eve is a day for families to be together at home?

4. What restaurant would have a very nice dinner on Christmas Eve?

With just one short day in Zurich, and trying to fit in a nice dinner and mass, and a little walking around town shopping, I am having a very hard time narrowing down where to stay and to have dinner on Christmas Eve.

Thank you for suggestions in advance!

more
    • things to do

Lucerne Dec 4, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Can anyone give me a travel trip like what things to do in Luzern?

- Recommend restaurants

- Nice budget hotel

- Etc.

more
    • Hwy12HighValley's Profile Photo

Train to Zermatt

Geneva Nov 26, 2016 at 9:11 AM

I am taking the train from the Geneva to Zermatt. The Switzerland train website indicates that luggage needs to be dropped off at the Geneva, Switzerland train station the night before. Am I reading that correctly?

more
    • Contact a souvenir shop

Zermatt Nov 11, 2016 at 9:56 AM

How can I get in touch with Hanny's Boutique? I am trying to buy a silver matterhorn charm.

more
    • Base suggestions for a trip to Switzerland

Switzerland Dec 6, 2016 at 10:15 PM

I will be in Switzerland in May for about 8, 9 days. I was thinking of staying in 2 places and doing day trips from there. It seems that Lucerne and Bern are good choices. Comments and suggestions are welcome. The main purpose of the trip is the usual - Alps, lakes, lush valleys, etc.
      Can someone also tell me about the Swiss card. I will be using trains for all my trips in the country.
      Thank you

more
    • Help with trip to Rhine Falls final destination

by twiggy321 Online Now Jun 14, 2016 at 12:41 PM

can somebody tell me if the Swiss pass covers the boat trips i am thinking of doing the following can anyone advise which is the most scenic.

option 1
      Travel from interlaken early morning to kreuzlingen via zurich working on this taking 3 1/2 hrs then take the boat cruise to Schaffhausen and visit the Rhine Falls depending on time take train back with possibility of stopping in Zurich.

option 2.
      Travel from interlaken to Schauffhausen aprox 2 3/4 hrs then walk to the Falls approx 1hr walk do the boat trip to middle island and take in schauffhausen on walk to boat departure.
      Take boat to Stein an Rhein and depart from there back to interlaken.

Any advice much appreciated enjoy walking and train journey time is not a problem

4 Answers Jun 14, 2016 at 4:43 PM
    • agathi's Profile Photo

Rheinfalls

by agathi Online Now Aug 9, 2015 at 6:07 AM

Hallo. The Rheinfall site says that in order to visit the north bank (Neuhausen) it is free and that you only pay for parking your car or, of course, if you take an activity.
      As for the south bank it says about 5 CHF/person entrance fee but no charge for parking.
      Is the 5 CHF an entrance fee to the area of the bank or to the building of Schloss Laufen?
      Actually we would like to have some good free of charge views of the falls and take the boat to the basin. We are not at all interested in the Schloss and if the charge of 5 CHF/per person is for the entrance to the south bank, we will drive straight to the north bank although arriving from Winterthur. Nevertheless as far as I can understand the views are better from the north bank. Any help? Thank you.

5 Answers Aug 9, 2015 at 11:26 PM
    • Schaffhausen

by nhulunbuya Online Now May 1, 2015 at 3:23 AM

I'm sure I've read somewhere that a day ticket costing CHF5 is available for Schaffhausen buses. Does anyone have information on this and the area covered?
      Thank you.Andrew

5 Answers May 1, 2015 at 5:31 AM
    • Gluten free Frustration

by emilygamache Online Now Jul 17, 2014 at 4:20 AM

We have just relocated to Schaffhausen and I am struggling to find gluten free restaurants and cafés including ice creams. Everything seems to have a gluten spice called aromat. Can you help me? My email is willnizzyg@gmail.com
      Thank you

1 Answer Jul 17, 2014 at 11:32 AM
    • Day trips from Zurich

by bc0001 Online Now Jun 3, 2014 at 8:45 PM

I am a photographer, so I am interested in finding day trips departing out of a Zurich base - in any direction. Have a SW rail pass, so should probably take advantage of that! :) Also considering one overnight trip into Austria. Have been to Innsbruck previously.

Castles are nice but probably looking more for wine or lakes, etc. Have done numerous castle ventures.

Thanks
      Bruce

1 Answer Jun 3, 2014 at 10:56 PM
    • Travel from Zurich Airport to Rhinefall

by kkoo Online Now Jun 22, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I have to travel from Zurich Airport directly to Rhinefall & back to Airport, Need to know quick way to travel, see the Waterfall & back.
      What is the cost of rhinefall boats , train , bus.
      Can we keep our travel bags in the Airport with the Authority.

6 Answers Jul 22, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    • Rhine waterfall

by Lenalch Online Now Sep 4, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I am travelling from freiburg, Germany to Rhine waterfall (schaffhausen train station). What are other transport do I need to take and accessible to the rhine waterfall. Also, it is difficult to get locker for luggage as I onward to interlaken on the same day.

1 Answer Sep 5, 2010 at 1:50 AM
    • Bus route from Schaffhausen to Titisee and back

by Tapabrata Online Now Mar 10, 2010 at 4:54 AM

Hi
      I am planning to be in Schaffhausen for a day and continue to go to Titisee and come back. Can you suggest whether there is a bus route to Titisee ?

Regards/ Tapa

5 Answers Mar 11, 2010 at 12:22 PM
    • luggage storage

by Daveearlwatson Online Now Sep 28, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Is there a location near the station to store ones luggage for the day..?? Understand that some train stations have luggage cabinets but cannot find any information on this station. Thanks Dave
      dave33@bellsouth.net
      Schaffhausen Switzerland

2 Answers Mar 15, 2010 at 11:35 PM
    • pabrams52's Profile Photo

Boat ride to Stein Am Rhine

by pabrams52 Online Now Jan 27, 2008 at 3:10 AM

I'm aware that the distance from Schaffhausen to Stein Am Rhine is not too far (approx. 10 miles, I believe) and would like to know more information about taking a boat ride to that location (where to catch, cost, reservations, etc.). Any and all detailed information would be appreciated. Planning for visit this May.

Thanks,
      pabrams52

2 Answers Jan 27, 2008 at 2:39 PM
    • deniz666uk's Profile Photo

camping

by deniz666uk Online Now May 24, 2007 at 10:28 AM

has anyone stayed at the camp site in schaffhausen i fso what is it like???

• mandocurler's Profile Photo

My family name is Scaffhausen

by mandocurler Online Now May 10, 2007 at 1:16 PM

I have been drawn to Schaffhausen for a long time. My Grandparent's name was Schaffhausen. So anyhow, we are taking my mom to Schaffhausen and I am looking for any tips that may help us trace our family ties in the Schaffhausen region.

Thank You

1 Answer May 10, 2007 at 2:31 PM
    • rheinfalls and?

by A_Ray Online Now Mar 21, 2007 at 8:49 AM

Hello,
      We will visit Karlsruhe in easter.From there we plan to visit rheinfalls and come back to karlsruhe on the same day.Can any body suggest what else we can do after seeing the rihne falls? Is there any other place or town nearby worth visiting? We would enjoy the natural beauty more than museums ,historical places etc.

One more thing is, how can we reach rehinfalls ?is there any walikg trail along the the river side from any railstation?
      Thanks a lot in advence
      A Ray

4 Answers Jun 1, 2010 at 6:00 AM
    • Robin_Linda's Profile Photo

Any Info Welcome

by Robin_Linda Online Now Feb 5, 2005 at 6:40 AM

Good VT people, I am, afraid to say, writing one of those postings that I, myself, find rather difficult to answer: that is, the ones that rather vaguely ask about a location (Examples: "What should I see in Europe in 3 weeks?", or "Where should I go in Amsterdam in 3 days?"). But, I am being sent to Schaffhausen (Switzerland) on Feb 21 for a day of work, and plan to extend my visit for a few days. My business dealings, I assume, will be a bit out of the town itself (DSM, for those who are familiar with it), and not having time to research the area as much as I would like to, I would like to ask the proverbial 'vague' questions: Is there a hotel I should definitely book? What should I NOT miss (other than the waterfalls ;-).. etc., etc.,. I am taking a look at the existing pages, but would like to hear anything from anyone who has been to this town, which according to what I have seen, appears to be a lovely place to spend a few days. Best Regards, Robin Linda

2 Answers Jun 1, 2010 at 6:05 AM