VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Sani Pass Travel Answers

change location

Hike Sani

by jetman1944 Online Now Aug 16, 2012 at 9:26 PM

How long should I allow to hike from the border post in SA to the chalets at the top. Reasonably fit and will stop to take pics

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Re: Hike Sani

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Aug 16, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Hi
    Well, the distance is 9km, but obviously there's a not insubstantial vertical component to consider as well: I would allow yourself 3-4 hours to be safe (which will give you time to stop for frequent photo opportunities and take a couple of detours from the road at particularly scenic spots).
    The road is reasonable gravel, but has a lot of hairpin bends, particularly on the top section where there is limited visibility around corners. So I would recommend that you exercise particular caution here as drivers will be so intent upon concentrating on the road itself that they're unlikely to be looking out for pedestrians. I would suggest that you wear some brightly coloured or fluorescent clothing just to maximise your visibility.
    If you're interested, you'll find a whole bunch of tips on Sani Pass and the chalets on my Lesotho page - it's a brilliant place!
    Regards
    Cathy

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Aug 16, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Well, if you rendezvous with the dagga smugglers, it could take considerably longer ... :)

• canuck68's Profile Photo

by canuck68 Online Now Aug 17, 2012 at 2:53 PM

LOL

• Re: Hike Sani

by jetman1944 Online Now Aug 22, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Thanks to all who responded - really helpful ( the smugglers didn't show yesterday BTW!!)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines