Travel Answers
San Francisco

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• We'll be in San Francisco from the 4th September, any good soul willing to help a bit?

by TheLeRoy Online Now Jul 19, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Hi Tourists!

We're from Italy and we'll be in SF as part of our honeymoon trip to the US. We'll get to the SFO airport Sunday 4th September, in the late afternoon/early evening. We'll stay in SF for about 4 days, then 2 days out to the Yosemite and back for 2 days to see the Silicon Valley area before heading to Vegas.

We have pretty much this part of the trip organized but are still concerned with a few things.

1) What is the best way to get from the airport to our hotel in Chinatown? We're thinking of shared vans or Uber but not sure about Uber since we won't have a working SIM with a data plan straight out of the airport. If there is some kind fellow member of the community willing to give us a lift, we'd appreciate - of course we will pay you for the disturb (as long as you don't charge more than an Uber/van hehe).

2) What is the easiest and quickest way to get a SIM card with a prepaid data plan with a few GB included (we were thinking not less than 4GB)? We're considering going to an AT&T store on the 5th but since it's Labor Day we still can't understand if shops will be open or closed that day. Of course, if there is some kind member of the community willing to help us out in any way it's much appreciated.

3) Since I'm in the IT field myself (back-end web developer), I'd love to meet someone there. Of course the bay area is the heart of IT and I'm sure I could potentially meet many interesting people, chat a bit about work stuff, how's life there and stuff like that. Oh, and if there's someone from a big company like Google, Facebook, Apple and such who's willing to meet an Italian developer and talk about interesting stuff - I'm TOTALLY for it. Don't hesitate to reply or PM me, drinks on me.

So thanks for reading, eagerly waiting for some replies!

more
    • Places to experience culture

by Brook30 Online Now Jul 21, 2016 at 12:35 AM

Hi,

My two friends and I are traveling to San Francisco from Australia in November, we are all aged 21 and male.
      I was wondering if anyone can tell us some places that are worth while checking out other than the obvious ones like Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge.
      We have heard that there is a great vibe and feeling around the city, and we are looking for some places that will enable us to experience this and the culture of the area.
      Anything from nightlife and restaurants to places to visit.

Thank you.

more
    • akikonomu's Profile Photo

Day trip to Napa Valley

by akikonomu Online Now Jul 6, 2016 at 9:15 AM

Dear VTers
      Will be in SFO for the first time in early November and planning a day trip to Napa valley.
      My priority is to walk the towns of St Helena/Yountville at leisure and fit in 1 or 2 vineyards if possible. Planning to take the BART from town centre (Powell) to El Cerrito, then bus shuttle to towns.
      Any comments/feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

more
    • Places to experience culture

by Brook30 Online Now Jul 21, 2016 at 12:35 AM

Hi,

My two friends and I are traveling to San Francisco from Australia in November, we are all aged 21 and male.
      I was wondering if anyone can tell us some places that are worth while checking out other than the obvious ones like Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge.
      We have heard that there is a great vibe and feeling around the city, and we are looking for some places that will enable us to experience this and the culture of the area.
      Anything from nightlife and restaurants to places to visit.

Thank you.

5 Answers Jul 22, 2016 at 1:40 PM
    • We'll be in San Francisco from the 4th September, any good soul willing to help a bit?

by TheLeRoy Online Now Jul 19, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Hi Tourists!

We're from Italy and we'll be in SF as part of our honeymoon trip to the US. We'll get to the SFO airport Sunday 4th September, in the late afternoon/early evening. We'll stay in SF for about 4 days, then 2 days out to the Yosemite and back for 2 days to see the Silicon Valley area before heading to Vegas.

We have pretty much this part of the trip organized but are still concerned with a few things.

1) What is the best way to get from the airport to our hotel in Chinatown? We're thinking of shared vans or Uber but not sure about Uber since we won't have a working SIM with a data plan straight out of the airport. If there is some kind fellow member of the community willing to give us a lift, we'd appreciate - of course we will pay you for the disturb (as long as you don't charge more than an Uber/van hehe).

2) What is the easiest and quickest way to get a SIM card with a prepaid data plan with a few GB included (we were thinking not less than 4GB)? We're considering going to an AT&T store on the 5th but since it's Labor Day we still can't understand if shops will be open or closed that day. Of course, if there is some kind member of the community willing to help us out in any way it's much appreciated.

3) Since I'm in the IT field myself (back-end web developer), I'd love to meet someone there. Of course the bay area is the heart of IT and I'm sure I could potentially meet many interesting people, chat a bit about work stuff, how's life there and stuff like that. Oh, and if there's someone from a big company like Google, Facebook, Apple and such who's willing to meet an Italian developer and talk about interesting stuff - I'm TOTALLY for it. Don't hesitate to reply or PM me, drinks on me.

So thanks for reading, eagerly waiting for some replies!

5 Answers Jul 20, 2016 at 2:47 PM
    • akikonomu's Profile Photo

Day trip to Napa Valley

by akikonomu Online Now Jul 6, 2016 at 9:15 AM

Dear VTers
      Will be in SFO for the first time in early November and planning a day trip to Napa valley.
      My priority is to walk the towns of St Helena/Yountville at leisure and fit in 1 or 2 vineyards if possible. Planning to take the BART from town centre (Powell) to El Cerrito, then bus shuttle to towns.
      Any comments/feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

7 Answers Jul 7, 2016 at 4:13 PM
    • all tips welcome!

by sea_island Online Now Jun 22, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Hello! We will be in San Francisco first week of January 2017.
      Where is best cool area to stay?
      Is it better rent a car?
      What is there to do in winter?
      I love to dance tango...does anybody know of any milonga there?
      Do go to Los Angeles do you think best by car or bus or train? Why?
      All tips welcome!
      Thank you!

25 Answers Jun 23, 2016 at 1:26 PM
    • travelgarfield's Profile Photo

Golden Gate Pavilion (visitors center)

by travelgarfield Online Now Jun 5, 2016 at 5:53 AM

We will be traveling on Hwy 1 towards the Golden Gate Bridge. We would like to visit the visitors center. I must've missed the exit the first time I visited with all the traffic and not knowing where I was going. But is there an exit you can take just before getting on the bridge that you have to be in the far right lane to exit? Or do you exit way before then and take smaller streets and how do I get back on the bridge to continue northbound to get to Vista Point? I looked at Google maps and it seems to show an exit and end entry on the bridge on the south end that looks so easy. I would like to see if this is correct especially when there's tons of traffic coming up behind you.

3 Answers Jun 7, 2016 at 8:25 PM
    • travelgarfield's Profile Photo

Getting from Ferry Building to Hyde

by travelgarfield Online Now Jun 5, 2016 at 5:45 AM

We will be arriving at the Ferry Building around 7:35am from Sausalito to take an Alcatraz tour at 9:30am. How do we get to Hyde Street to watch the cable car turn around? Or would we not have time to do that? But instead go directly to the Pier for Alcatraz tours to stand in line for the tour? Are there places to buy a Muni day pass near the Ferry building to use the transit? I saw a line that's labeled E & F that might get us near where we want to get to on Embarcadero. Thanks in advance.

6 Answers Jun 20, 2016 at 8:38 PM
    • Driving from San Francisco to yosemite. Suggestions on make the most of the drive

by Linnet1968 Online Now May 30, 2016 at 9:49 AM

Driving from SF to Yosemite Park. 1st week of August. I guess trip is about 3-4 hrs. Any suggestions of anything to see on route. Suggestions for breaks also welcome.

7 Answers May 31, 2016 at 3:12 PM
    • San Francisco - Suggestions for family 2 adults 2 teenagers

by Linnet1968 Online Now May 29, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Hi
      We arrive in San Fran early evening in July 31st. Staying Union Sq. Staying 3 nights
      1. Suggestions for first evening.
      2. We want to go to Alcatraz. Best day or night?? Best times?
      3. Want to cycle over Golden Gate Bridge. Suggestions?
      4. Any sports events?
      5. Food? Restaurants day/evening?
      6. Other suggestion of must do

6 Answers Jun 5, 2016 at 8:38 AM
    • Vintage0345's Profile Photo

Places of interest and recommended transportation

by Vintage0345 Online Now Apr 8, 2016 at 4:42 AM

Good day,

My family will be flying to San Francisco in July. It's our first trip here n will be bunking over a B&B near Chinatown (finance district).
      Will be staying over for 2 days.

Need some guidance on the transportation from airport to Chinatown and the places of interest in San Francisco. Lastly, places to avoid in San Francisco. Thank you.

7 Answers Apr 12, 2016 at 9:37 PM
    • Vintage0345's Profile Photo

Realiable and Cheap Car Rental

by Vintage0345 Online Now Mar 18, 2016 at 6:14 AM

Need guidance on cheap and reliable car rental company in USA. I will be renting the car for 2 weeks to travel from San Francisco to San Diego and lastly to Las Vegas. Thank you.

12 Answers Mar 22, 2016 at 11:28 AM
    • textile craft class

by crafter6 Online Now Mar 15, 2016 at 1:06 PM

Hi, I am interested in a craft class, preferably felting, between April 5 and 9
      Thanks!

4 Answers Mar 17, 2016 at 1:32 AM
    • fog and Monterey

by molly14 Online Now Mar 14, 2016 at 12:48 PM

We will be in San Francisco at the end of June. When would be a good time to do the seaplane tour, I was thinking about the fog. 10am, 1pm and 3pm. Also is it worth going on the Monterey and Carmen for a day trip. Thanks

7 Answers Mar 14, 2016 at 7:17 PM
    • fog and Monterey

by molly14 Online Now Mar 14, 2016 at 12:37 PM

We will be in San Franciscoin June.What time of day would be best to pick for the seaplane tour, I was thinking about the fog. 10am, 1pm and 3pm. Also, is it worth the day trip to Monterey.

5 Answers Mar 14, 2016 at 5:12 PM
    • hb_capri's Profile Photo

Where to stay?

by hb_capri Online Now Mar 11, 2016 at 4:53 AM

Hi,

My husband and I (both in 30s) are visiting SFO end of this month. We would like to stay at a place that is close to bars, restaurants and nightlife. Which areas would you recommend? I would prefer staying at a place where I can experience some local culture and not in the busy business district. I came upon a place in Mission district. Is that a good location?

Thanks in advance
      Harsha

19 Answers Mar 16, 2016 at 8:12 AM
    • evawong's Profile Photo

No immigration for Departure

by evawong Online Now Feb 25, 2016 at 6:02 PM

Someone told me there is no immigration for departure from SFO, is it ture? Thank you

13 Answers Feb 27, 2016 at 6:37 AM
    • Day trip from SF to Monterey - need help planning

by cbmal Online Now Feb 19, 2016 at 5:28 AM

Hello
      It will be our first trip to San Francisco, and we want to rent a car for 1 day to drive down the coast to Monterey. Please help me with the details :)

So far the plan is:
      rent a car the night before so we can get an early start around 6 AM (up anyway with the East Coast jet lag!), drive down route 1 to Monterey, visit the Aquarium and maybe 17 mile drive, head back around dinnertime.

Are there any nice spots to stop along the way?

What do you think of the 17 mile drive? Is it Worth it or would you recommend somewhere else?

Any scenic picnic spots or casual restaurants you could recommend?

Thank you for your help! :)

8 Answers Feb 19, 2016 at 5:40 PM
    • Travelling America help!

by Laurenadam Online Now Feb 17, 2016 at 3:26 AM

Hey everyone me an my boyfriend are from London we are planning on travelling America for around 3 months, were bored and in need of some excitement before we settle down an have children haha!!
      We are recalling wanting to go to la California Miami San fran and where ever people would recommend , we are unsure of the route you would take or where we would even start from! Is it best to stay in motels or hire apartments for the stays? Any info or hep would be so useful!

Thanks guys!!!
      Lola

5 Answers Feb 17, 2016 at 8:05 PM
    • How safe is the area in 7th St. / Howard St.

by WielandP Online Now Feb 1, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Hi there, I will stay over the weekend in San Francisco to see the concert in AT&T park on Saturday. I rented an apartment through Airbnb at the corner 7th St. / Howard St. I read a lot to find out about the safety there but I'm still not clear.. Is it safe to stay there and walk during day and night? I planned to walk to the AT&T park and back late night, would this be ok? Thank you for your help! I travel alone...cheers

6 Answers Feb 1, 2016 at 3:56 PM
    • Transportation from SFO airport to Marina District

by cbmal Online Now Jan 30, 2016 at 4:01 PM

Hello
      I have rented an apartment for a week in the Marina District. What's the best / easiest way to get there from the Airport?
      Not sure we want to take public transit. Convenience is definitely our priority with jet lag and luggage in tow.
      How much would a taxi cost? Is it a flat fare?
      Maybe a limo service? Uber?

Thank you?

9 Answers Feb 1, 2016 at 2:04 PM
    • Transportation from airport to Lombard Street

by Tbeloved03 Online Now Jan 22, 2016 at 4:24 PM

Hi,

outside of public transportation, is there an easier route to get from the airport to Lombard Street? Does Uber provide service in these areas?

Thanks!

4 Answers Jan 27, 2016 at 4:39 PM
    • Transportation from airport to Lombard Street

by Tbeloved03 Online Now Jan 22, 2016 at 4:24 PM

Hi,

outside of public transportation, is there an easier route to get from the airport to Lombard Street? Does Uber provide service in these areas?

Thanks!

1 Answer Jan 22, 2016 at 9:32 PM
    • Best Things to Do for Teenagers, SF Area and Sports

by cliod Online Now Jan 21, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Hi, I am taking my family of 6 to America from Ireland in July 2016.
      My children will be 13,17,17 and 18.

We are staying in Mill Valley but want to spend most of our trip in San Francisco.
      We are all crazy about sports so was wondering sports wise whats happening during this time? Basketball,Baseball,American Football (prices etc)? Anything local?

We are hoping to spend a day in Santa Cruz as we would love to see some sun being from Ireland, would this be worth it and is there any other sunny places you would recommend And also perhaps take a overnight trip to Lake Tahoe.

We will be doing typical tourist things such as Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge etc but could anyone suggest something which isn't a typical tourist thing that would worth doing/seeing? We really want to get a taste of life as an American and don't want to do all typical tourist stuff! We have a car can go anywhere!

As we will be staying around mill valley is there anything around here(within a couple of hours travelling) we could do to get a taste of California life?

Best place for shopping?

Any other advise? Stuff for teenagers?

Apologies for all the questions, if anyone could answer even just one it would be so helpful! We are hoping for the holiday of a lifetime so really want to make it worth it!
      Thank you so so much to anyone who replies.

6 Answers Jan 21, 2016 at 4:59 PM
    • St Paul and Peter Church

by Dublin88 Online Now Jan 3, 2016 at 7:19 AM

Hi! If this is the main Italian Church which is the main Irish one in San Fran? Thanks! Lee

6 Answers Jan 3, 2016 at 4:03 PM
    • IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

Using Public Transport

by IreneMcKay Online Now Nov 8, 2015 at 5:08 AM

Hi everyone, Going to San Francisco for a week in February. I'm a bit confused with public transport passes and want to know Ii there a public transport pass that can be used on buses, the bart, ferries, trams and cable cars?

Also if you book a ticket to Alcatraz in advance is it for a specific day and time or does it just mean you have a ticket then get in the queue to get on a ferry.

Many thanks in advance,

Irene

6 Answers Dec 16, 2015 at 9:50 AM
    • Public transport

by ssdeb Online Now Oct 22, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Hi,

Could someone tell me how to get to the mission bay conference center from union square

5 Answers Oct 28, 2015 at 9:41 PM
    • hayley_69's Profile Photo

charmed house

by hayley_69 Online Now Oct 10, 2015 at 3:16 AM

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me the correct location of the Charmed house (from tv series).
      Ive been told its in San Fransisco but also heard in Los Angeles.
      Want to get a photo.

Thanks in advance, Hayley

7 Answers Oct 11, 2015 at 2:24 PM
    • Hotels Near SFO

by lorijane27 Online Now Oct 1, 2015 at 10:09 AM

My son is in the military and will be flying out of SFO and needs a hotel stay for the night before his flight. I am trying to book a one night stay on a young mans budget that is in a safe area not necessarily right next to the airport, but within a reasonable distance. Does anybody have any advice on an area or nice hotel? Thanks so much..........

9 Answers Oct 10, 2015 at 2:11 AM
    • Melbourne Cup

by Lynne88 Online Now Sep 25, 2015 at 2:20 AM

Does anyone know if anywhere will be televising the Australian Melbourne cup thanks

4 Answers Sep 25, 2015 at 11:58 PM
    • End of June - July

by baconb Online Now Sep 22, 2015 at 12:56 AM

Is there anything major going on that I can't miss around these dates. Looking at going on holidays through here and don't want to miss out anything amazing!

2 Answers Sep 22, 2015 at 12:11 PM
    • footstool's Profile Photo

Mass transit to the Bulb

by footstool Online Now Aug 17, 2015 at 4:45 AM

Hi, VT'ers! How can I get to the Bulb via mass transit from SF? I have been to SF and taken BART many times, but rarely crossed the Bay. I'll be there in 4 weeks, in good walking weather, and I like to walk. Thanks for your help!

3 Answers Aug 17, 2015 at 6:06 PM