change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Help planning our budget

Chile Oct 9, 2016 at 11:32 AM

We are off to Chile for almost three weeks later this month. We have pre-booked accommodation, internal flights and transfers and lots of tours, so our main expenses will be meals, drinks and souvenirs. I've seen varied recommendations about typical costs so I thought I'd see what VT members suggest. We like to eat in good (but not super fancy high-end) restaurants serving mostly local food, to drink alcohol (but not a huge amount - maybe a couple of drinks per person per evening) and to eat our main meal in the evening. We would usually eat only a very light lunch or skip it altogether if breakfast is large (breakfast is included in all our hotels). We like to buy ourselves a couple of good souvenirs but don't go mad on shopping! We will be spending time in Santiago, San Pedro de Atacama, Puerto Varas, Torres del Paine and Easter Island. Any thoughts please on a sensible daily budget?

Also, what are our chances of being able to use our Visa debit cards in the better restaurants, to save taking everything in cash? We don't want to have to rely on finding ATMs, except perhaps in Santiago. Of course if we decide on using the debit cards we will let our bank know in advance.

Thank you!

• Best time of year to go

Easter Island Oct 7, 2016 at 11:03 AM

When is the best time of year to go? Expense and crowding.

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

Patagonia travel

Punta Arenas Sep 27, 2016 at 6:16 AM

My friend and I are planning a trip in January to Patagonia--unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding a guidebook that focuses on this region and does it well. The initial plan (not yet booked) is to start in Punta Arenas, but is that the best idea? I would be coming from Ushuaia (following an Antarctic cruise) and my friend would be coming from the US, so she's able to fly anywhere. If we do start in Punta Arenas, I'll probably take the bus there from Ushuaia, but maybe we should start somewhere in Argentina?

We are interested in scenery, mild hiking (i.e. not climbing), and wildlife. To be honest I'm not particularly educated about what there is to do down there, how best to organize logistics, possibilities of including both countries in a reasonable time frame, etc. Any assistance is welcome!