VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Travel Answers
Portugal

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Saagar's Profile Photo

Travelling to Lisbon with children in April

Portugal Jan 7, 2017 at 6:54 PM

My last attempt to go to Lisbon was in 2005, with my ageing mother. I had collected great tips from reading fellow VT'ers tips and assembled an array of ideas. The day before departure my mother keeled over with a stroke and did not regained sufficient strength to travel anymore. So now with the kids, trying again:
      Question 1: 3 things to do with children that need to be challenged, not entertained, aged 8-11 in Lisbon?
      Question 2: choice of 3 places to stay (towns, not necessarily hotels) on the Algarve coast between the Spanish border and the south-west cape, keeping kids in mind?

- Yes, indeed, I am reading all relevant info on the Portugal VT pages, but a little help would be good to cut through the jungle...

Thank you for any responses to what is probably one of my last questions before VT closes down...

• eating out

Albufeira Jan 5, 2017 at 6:37 AM

will be staying at the Auramar Beach Resort from the 20 to 27 January 2017. it`s my wife`s birthday on the 20 and our anniversary on the 22 January. was hoping to take her out on the 21st for a meal could anybody recommend a nice restaurant that do stakes. don't mind taxi ride in to town as I beleave it`s only 10 mins ride. thanks in advance

2 Answers Jan 6, 2017 at 1:40 AM
    • Hen do Early March

Albufeira Jan 5, 2017 at 3:13 AM

Hi, what is the night life in Albuferia in early March?

2 Answers Jan 5, 2017 at 9:46 AM
    • Autumn9's Profile Photo

Quiet area near Lisbon

Portugal Jan 4, 2017 at 6:02 AM

We are a group of around 10 mature adults, including artists and writers, looking for a villa in a quiet, picturesque are within reach of Lisbon. Can anyone suggest a non-touristy, quiet but interesting area we should be looking at?

2 Answers Jan 4, 2017 at 3:22 PM
    • Jo8Joe's Profile Photo

Coimbra to Nazare by Train and bus?

Coimbra Jan 1, 2017 at 10:22 AM

I am in the process of planning our trip to Portugal in late January. I'm hoping someone can help give advice  .... we are travelling from Aveiro to Nazare by bus/train. The Alfa Pendular#124 will take us to Coimbra Station B. From here we walk to the Redo Expressos( is there a sidwalk along here?)which stops in Leira then onto Nazare. Can anyone familiar with the area confirm if I am correct?

6 Answers Jan 5, 2017 at 11:51 AM
    • philosykos's Profile Photo

Airport bus...Aeroport or #44?

Lisbon Dec 31, 2016 at 8:28 PM

Hello..I understand there is the aeroport bus but also the #44 bus..that follows the same route? Do you buy tickets on the bus? Need they be validated? And are the stops visible on the bus by sign?? I would need Rossio stop.Many thanks!

8 Answers Jan 1, 2017 at 5:00 AM
    • curmo's Profile Photo

10 Day Trip - Algarve & Seville

Algarve Dec 22, 2016 at 9:20 AM

My wife and I are spending 10 days in the Algarve area next April. We fly in and out of Faro and will be picking up and dropping off our hire car in that location. I'm thinking of staying in three or four different locations and would like to do a circular tour in our hire car. It seems sensible to take in Seville. Any ideas for towns where a couple of nights would be a pleasant experience? Our interests are history, culture and moderate walking. Phil C

9 Answers Jan 2, 2017 at 4:12 AM
    • Fishermen's Festival, Peniche

Peniche Dec 21, 2016 at 11:16 AM

10 years ago my wife and I were at Peniche for a Fishermen's Festival. There were outdoor tents serving food and dancing in the streets. Does anyone know when it will happen in 2017?

1 Answer Dec 21, 2016 at 11:39 AM
    • How to get to Convent of Capuchos

Sintra Dec 15, 2016 at 3:09 AM

Hello! I am planning my trip to Sintra, and I really would have loved to visit a Convent of Capuchos.
      Unfortunately, there is no information about the possible ways how to get there.

Do I need to take a taxi or to rent a car? While browsing in internet I read about some "red" bus which takes there, but there was no concrete information unfortunately...

Thank you in advance.

3 Answers Dec 15, 2016 at 5:05 AM
    • craigkay's Profile Photo

US Citizens living part time in Portugal

Portugal Nov 22, 2016 at 10:15 AM

Hi all,
      Several of us (US citizens) are contemplating a part time residence in Portugal and are considering various cities and options, including Lisbon, Algarve and smaller towns north of Lisbon. If anyone has suggestions as to where to start our research and share experiences, I would appreciate all comments. Any practical advice (access to medical care, climate, etc.) is very welcome.
      Thanks!

7 Answers Nov 24, 2016 at 8:23 AM
    • Festivals in are around Lagos in May

Lagos Nov 13, 2016 at 6:32 AM

Any festivals in Lagos, Portugal in the late May ?

2 Answers Jan 4, 2017 at 1:43 AM
    • yakdoog's Profile Photo

Ferry Boat travel between islands

Azores Nov 6, 2016 at 9:36 AM

My sister and I will be traveling to Terceira next August. We were hoping to be able to ferry between the islands. I have been researching the ferry websites (Atlantico); however, not as informative as I would like to ease my concern about catching a ferry between Terceira and Sao Miguel, Filal or Pico.

Any way to get actual schedule on paper? Better to fly between the islands or is ferry travel reliable?

2 Answers Nov 13, 2016 at 5:29 PM
    • Walk from algar seco to....

Lagos Nov 6, 2016 at 2:55 AM

Hi. I will be in Faro and Portugal for first time since 30.11 till 3.12. I would like to visit Algarve probably on Friday 2nd December. I was thinking to take morning train to Lagoa, and then bus to Carvoeiro. (I think I will be in Carvoeiro before 11am according to buses). I wanted to do daylight walk along the coast from algar seco, through benagil, and praia marinha. Because I don't have idea about distances, how far it is , and could I continue my walk yet further to see another beaches too? Do I have to return to lagoa or can I take return bus/train from yet another town to come back to faro? Maybe anyone of you are going to have a walk that day too?

10 Answers Nov 21, 2016 at 3:41 AM
    • MalenaN's Profile Photo

Stay the whole week in Funchal, or not?

Madeira Island Nov 6, 2016 at 12:43 AM

Hello!
      I will visit Madeira for a week in April and during that week I would like to do several hikes. Is it good to base myself in Funchal and from there make daytrips with local transportation (bus) to places where I can start/end a hike, or should I base myself in another town/village for a few days?

2 Answers Nov 6, 2016 at 5:09 AM
    • Sintra full day using taxis

Sintra Nov 1, 2016 at 6:02 AM

We are four adults planning a full day visit in Sintra, Portugal. We are planning on visiting Pena Palace, Castle of the Moors, Quinta da Regaleira, National Palace and town (in that order). Since the tourist bus doesn't go in that order, we were wondering if it makes more sense (and around the same cost) to use taxis. Anyone able to estimate taxi fares:
      1) train station to Pena 2) Pena to Quinta 3) town to Train station? Thanks

6 Answers Nov 2, 2016 at 12:10 AM
    • time tables for urban busses

Algarve Oct 19, 2016 at 3:56 PM

does anybody know how to catch a proximo bus to get to the busstation.
      shall leave for the airport

2 Answers Oct 20, 2016 at 4:24 AM
    • Hop on hop off bus

Lisbon Oct 18, 2016 at 6:13 AM

Leaving for Lisbon, on Thurs. Will be at the hotel at noon. Have the rest of the day, on Friday, plus Saturday and Sunday to see the city. I had planned on the chill out tour, and independent sightseeing, but rain is forecast. I most probably will do a lot of walking with rain gear, but was wondering how people found the hop on hop off bus to get acclimated, or should it be very rainy. Any particular company? Will be staying by Restauradores. Thanks for any tips!

10 Answers Oct 20, 2016 at 10:39 PM
    • AvaM's Profile Photo

Fruits in October in Tavira ,Algave

Portugal Oct 5, 2016 at 3:49 PM

What fruits u can find in October in Algave and were to hunt fresh from farmers or markets?

7 Answers Oct 7, 2016 at 6:58 AM
    • Thommy_p's Profile Photo

Things to do when visiting Algarve in December?

Lagos Oct 3, 2016 at 12:26 PM

We are traveling to Lagos in end of December and now looking for fun things to do/see to keep the children activated and happy. Our children is 4, 8 and 16 yrs old.

2 Answers Oct 4, 2016 at 1:27 AM
    • Albufeira for a 6 and 9 year old

Albufeira Sep 25, 2016 at 1:16 AM

Packing for a 6 and 9 year old half term week and first trip abroad to albufeira! Will they need wetsuit for pool and or sea? What else may they need? What is there for them to do and do we need to book trips in advance? One allergic to nuts ? Any tips at all would be great thank you

7 Answers Sep 30, 2016 at 5:21 AM
    • Resort Help.....

Algarve Sep 22, 2016 at 2:29 AM

We would like to holiday in the Algarve in 2017 and would appreciate some help. We are looking for a resort that is not overly busy and without the night clubs etc, but has some shops that you can stroll around of an evening. If anyone has been to Es Cana in Ibiza somewhere sililar would be great. We are looking for an all inclusive hotel. Does anyone know of any and can recommend to save hours of trawling the net and travel brouchers? Many thanks in advance for any help . Gareth & Family

3 Answers Sep 22, 2016 at 4:43 AM
    • mnutsy's Profile Photo

Up to University

Coimbra Sep 19, 2016 at 1:41 AM

I have bad knees. Is it a hard uphill walk? Can I get up to University by taxi or furnicular? Does the "elevador" take me there?
      Just having a day/ night in Coimbra on way to Porto from Lisbon.Best area to stay?
      Any thoughts?
      Regards, Mnutsy

7 Answers Sep 28, 2016 at 12:12 AM
    • AidanM62's Profile Photo

Day Trips from Albufeira

Albufeira Sep 17, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Hi Guys We're heading to Albufeira Old Town for a week on monday. Any suggestions for day trips or places of interest nearby ? We won't be hiring a car.

Also, any tips for good bars or restaraunts in the area would be appreciated. We're staying on Av da Liberdades.

Thanks

8 Answers Sep 23, 2016 at 2:36 PM
    • Transportation Lagos-Armacao de Pera-Faro

Algarve Sep 13, 2016 at 4:42 AM

Hi! Is there an official website with info about the buses around Algarve or should I trust this one? http://www.algarvebus.info/002e.htm
      I am worried that if it isn't correct and we miss our bus to Faro, there is no alternate transportation from Armacao de Pera. Also, after our boat trip from there, we want to get to Praia da Marinha, can we get a taxi to there and would it be expensive? Can you reccommend a company I can use with a safe mind? In general, transportation without a car seems kinda complicated....

6 Answers Sep 15, 2016 at 12:38 PM
    • 1 week itinerary for portugal help plz!

Portugal Sep 13, 2016 at 2:58 AM

HI!

we are a ~30ish year old couple, traveling to Portugal for 7 days next week (land & depart - Lisbon)
      Its been really hard to figure out what's the best way to go.. we like a bit of urban athmosphere but also nature (and beach) :) , would like to see a lot but not be in a total rush. we will rent a car

What do you think? should we:
      A. Stay around the Lisbon area and travel a bit to the south for a few days?

B. Do the highlights from Lisbon heading up north to Porto?
      this is what i had in mind, gathering info from the internet, but i don't know if its realistic:
      -day 1 sintra, sleep in obidos
      - one night coimbra/or parque natural da serra da estrela
      - one night alto douro
      - 2 night porto
      - 2 night lisbon (or stay in lisbon at the beginning then travel up)

thanksss in advance for your input!!!

2 Answers Sep 13, 2016 at 2:36 PM
    • Shalini25's Profile Photo

Faro, Lisbon, Porto for 8 days

Portugal Sep 10, 2016 at 2:18 AM

Hello friends,
      I am travelling to Portugal in the third week of Dec for 8 days.
      I would like to see Porto, Lisbon, Faro.

I am travelling with 2 children 6 and 8 years.

Can you suggest some good places to see with the children..
      Also if you can suggest some information about transport and weather.
      Many thanks

6 Answers Sep 15, 2016 at 4:38 AM
    • 5 days too much for a solo traveller?

Lagos Sep 5, 2016 at 5:33 AM

Hi,
      I'm planning to visit Lagos in December. I'm travelling alone and I don't go out to night clubs or bars.
      I want to go to Lagos and Algarve just to see the beautiful scenery. Now i'm wondering if 5 days might be too much?
      I know it can be quite chilly and rainy so I can't just spend the days laying on the beach.
      I won't have a car, I will walk and take the bus so I believe I will be kinda limited regarding how far away from the center I can go.
      What do you think? Will I get bored?

5 Answers Jan 4, 2017 at 5:48 AM
    • Transportation

Évora Sep 4, 2016 at 1:42 PM

Are there buses between Evora and Estremoz. Timetables available? Which company recommended? Thanks

3 Answers Sep 8, 2016 at 5:59 AM
    • Linse's Profile Photo

Funicular operating times??

Lisbon Sep 3, 2016 at 2:48 PM

Hi
      What hours is the funiculars operating in Lisbon??
      Thank you in advance :-)

1 Answer Sep 4, 2016 at 7:15 AM
    • Day pass for transportation

Lisbon Sep 2, 2016 at 4:47 AM

A day pass for transportation for 6eu was mentioned somewhere. Does this pass include the metro only, or busses and trams (tram 28?) as well? Do you purchase it from the machines in the metro?

6 Answers Sep 6, 2016 at 7:34 AM