Polebridge

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• 9 nights in Southwest Montana

Montana Sep 5, 2016 at 12:20 PM

I'd appreciate some help from knowledgeable people on an area on Montana we will be going to in about a week from now which is Helena and the whole southwest Montana area. As I'm busy with work I've been trying to figure out a nice trip for a 60+ year old couple who enjoy the outdoors and moderate hiking as well as historical museums or areas. I've read thoroughly the section on this area on Montana in the current Moon "Montana & Wyoming" book and think we can come up with a enjoyable trip for 9 nights limiting ourselves to this area they outline as we are the types that enjoy seeing things thoroughly and not rushing or driving too much in a day. The Moon section is called "Butte Helena and SW Montana" and we already have our first two nights booked in Helena. My question here is about how to divide the other 7 nights we have left and where to stop at.

I thought after we left Helena we would go west and stop and see the Powell Museum Complex and then drive on to Philipsburg and stay either 1 or 2 nights. Which would be a better idea? The place the Moon book speaks of that sounds good to me is Broadway Hotel...opinions or recommendations for this town? Then I thought we would go south to Big Hole Battlefield and then go over to Elkhorn Hot Springs (stay?) and after that head to Nevada City and Virginia City (stay?). From there go back up to Lewis and Clark Caverns and then to Butte to see the museums there. Can we drive to the airport in Helena from Butte if we stay there the last night to get our 3pm flight? Where would people recommend we stay the other 7 nights we have in this area (other than the first 2 nights we have in Helena)?

more