VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Travel Answers
Perama

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Ferries to islands

Greece 1 hours ago

We plan to visit Greece in early April. Of course the islands are on our itinerary. Can anyone local advise us if we need to reserve ferry tickets before we fly there, ir we can buy on spot on the day we travel in order to allow flexibility?

Angie

more
    • fasterdog's Profile Photo

Bus from Tirana to Meteora

Meteora Feb 13, 2017 at 12:48 PM

I am hoping to take a bus from Tirana in Albania to the Meteora Monasteries in Greece. I think the towns near the monasteries are called Kalambaka (or Kalabaka) and Kastraki. Does anyone have any information on timetables, etc?

Thanks in advance for any information, it will be very much appreciated.

more

Corinth Canal

Corinth Feb 13, 2017 at 11:03 AM

First of all apologies if someone has already answered these questions. I reviewed all the reports I could find about the Corinth Canal, but some were quite old, so I am hoping to get the best current info.

I am hoping to visit the Corinth Canal around late March or early April, preferably on a day trip from Athens using public transport, a bus or a train.

My first choice would be to take a tour boat along the canal if there is one available from Isthmia or Corinth. Does anyone have any information on availability of canal tour boats? There was a youtube video clip of someone doing this sort of tour, but it is from 2009. I don't know if the tour is still available or where to get the boat if it is still operating.

youtube.com/watch?v=...

My second choice would be to see the canal from the bridge, but I'm not sure if the bus or the train would stop anywhere near the bridge. The bridge is about 9km from Corinth. Does anyone have a good suggestion for how to get to the bridge over the canal for someone using public transport?

Thanks in advance for any information on this.

more
    • Car Parking

Rhodes (Island) Feb 15, 2017 at 1:42 AM

Staying in Best Western Plaza hotel Rhodes town in May which has no free parking - which is our best parking option

more
    • nicolemoraira's Profile Photo

Island recommendations for 2 weeks in the Cyclades

Greece Feb 12, 2017 at 8:46 AM

After 2.5 years of travelling in India, Australia and Southeast Asia, my boyfriend (33, British) and I (28, German) have now settled down in Berlin and want to explore some more of Europe. Hence we're very excited to be visiting Greece for the first time this year and are looking for some destination advice.

We're flying to Athens on 7th June, then on to Santorini early on 8th June (my birthday), and back from Athens on 21st June. We're planning to spend around 3 days / 2 nights in Santorini and would probably like to visit another 2 islands in the Cyclades before heading back to Athens for the final 2-3 days. Is this feasible for a 2-week trip?

I've checked out plenty of websites and have a few ideas but still unsure of which islands to include. We enjoy pristine, uncrowded (preferably not windy) beaches, local food, nature/scenery, some history/culture and some nightlife (bars rather than clubs). We could hire a car or scooters if required. I've included Santorini on the itinerary as I understand this is a must-see for first-time visitors to the Cyclades, but would also like to include some cheaper, less crowded places. Which islands would you recommend?

Do we need to book hotels in advance or can we rock up with backpacks and find something decent on the day (Athens, Santorini, other islands)? What about ferries between islands, do we need to book these in advance? Can you recommend any affordable hotels with views of the caldera in Santorini? Is it easy to get public transport from the airport? Any advice relevant to our trip would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
      Nicole

more

Best days to visit Meteora Monasteries

Meteora Feb 14, 2017 at 10:22 PM

I was wondering if any days are better or worse than others for visiting the monasteries at Meteora. For example, Sunday might be a bad day to visit, but there could be other days when the monks have a different routine to normal.

more