Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Drugness's Profile Photo

Visiting the Republic...

Kabardino-Balkarskaya Respublika Jul 15, 2016 at 6:33 AM

Hello all
      Am curious about this region and the possibility of a Western citizen to visit. Can anybody advise if there are diplomatic regions with visiting this area? I understand that the region is much safer than it previously was?
      Can anyone offer advice on visiting the Kabardino-Balkarskaya Republic as well as her close neighbours? I guess the easiest way to get there would be from Georgia?
      Thanks everyone!
      DG

more
    • sylv2's Profile Photo

Artillery Museum

Russia Jun 29, 2016 at 11:15 PM

Our trip to St Petersburg is fast approaching! I have my lovely Russian Visa in my passport, (That was a job and a half!)
      I have booked a couple of tours and made notes on what we would like to do on the 3 full days we have leaving the fourth half day free at this time. Thank you to those who helped.
      My husband is very interested in the Artillery Museum but its closed Monday and Tuesday ( We are in St Petersburg Mon Aug 29th, Tues Aug 30th , Wed Aug 31st,) and we can only go to Catherine's Palace on Wednesday because it is closed on Tuesdays and the last Monday of the month!
      We could go on Thursday on our half day but it doesn't open until 11am and we need to leave for the airport around 12:30pm.
      So, on the Wednesday we have booked a 6 hour tour to St Catherine's Palace and Peterhof. Instead of returning to St Petersburg by road with the tour we thought we would take the hydrofoil back which is something we wanted to experience and it would be quicker. Then walk to Artillery Museum.
      If we are going well we hope to be there by 4pm. Its only open until 6pm. :/
      We know that's probably not enough time to do it justice but that's what we have. My husband is mostly interested in the tanks etc and weapons.
      Is the outside area with the tanks etc accessible when the museum is closed? From photos it looks like the main display is behind a gate and wall. If it is open we would go on a day its closed and look at the outside display and have the two hours to look inside.
      If not would it be best to look inside first and look at outside display last or is all locked up 6pm?
      Thanks

more
    • GyuriFT's Profile Photo

Car (U.S. licence plates) parking for extensive time

Domodedovo Jun 29, 2016 at 4:04 PM

Looking to leave a car for 16 days not far from the DME.
      I hope I can arrange the car parking with the airBNB host - but just if not, what alternatives are out there?

It is a mid-size car, quite unpretending - but it has US plates.
      (Just in case the plates will be removed).

I probably do not want to park on the street but if one knows an OK location it would be good.

Thanks

more
    • Tourist visa question

Russia Jun 28, 2016 at 7:12 AM

I have a friend in Kaliningrad who wants to host me for a trip there in October - she is applying for a homestay visa for me. The problem is, she's a huge procrastinator and dragging her feet like crazy. I'm hoping I can just get the invitation from her, and then expedite my visa with the Washington DC consulate so I can fly as planned in October. But just in case she takes too long and drags her feet more, I was going to try and obtain a tourist visa as a backup. So my confusion lies in lodging and registration. I am OK with booking a hotel for say a couple of nights so I can be registered, etc., but I'm hoping that I'd have some freedom of movement after that and be able to just stay with my friend since it would be more convenient and cheaper. I'll only be there for 2 weeks, but booking a hotel for 2 weeks that I'm not going to stay at seems like a huge waste of money. I read that after my time at the hotel is up, I'll have to be registered again wherever I'm staying, and that having a private person register me may cause some problems. I'm combing the internet and finding no answers. So what I'm wanting to know, in a nutshell, is how do people travel independently in Russia without having to book a hotel the entire stay, and how does one go about registering themselves again after their stay at the hotel is over?

more

Near Ozero Turgoyak