Travel Answers

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• safe east memphs

Memphis Oct 15, 2016 at 1:34 PM

i need to stay near east memphis, is this a safe area? what hotels are recommended in the area? i saw some reviews that mentioned drug traffcking in parking lots and i want to be sure that i am booked in a hotel in a good area

• Calling Cards

United States of America 1 hours ago

I will be traveling in India and I Need calling cards for calling the US. My friends suggest me following calling cards company.

Any suggestions which one is best calling cards company for calling the US?

• Best way to travel around Nashville at night with a child

Nashville Oct 9, 2016 at 4:51 PM

I am visiting Nashville for a concert at TPAC. Safety is my main concern with a child in tow. Should I stay at Doubletree or another downtown hote...or in another location in Nashville?

Should I use a cab or Uber (which company if you know of a good one...) for travel late at night or attempt to park and walk?

• Where to park CHEAP near Port Everglades while on a 12-day cruise.

Fort Lauderdale Oct 8, 2016 at 6:03 PM

Where can we park our car for 12-days near Port Everglades that is CHEAP?

• evening shows + observatories?

New Mexico Oct 6, 2016 at 9:02 AM

Hello, I'm a TA wanting to explore NM & I'm curious about:
      a) a location (other than usual suspects i.e. albuquerque/santa fe) that might have

a evening show of sorts i.e. a amphitheatre wi/entertainment?

b) a location in NM.....(anywhere south) that might have a observatory where folks

can star gaze?

• tranceperent's Profile Photo

Visiting South beach between 29th nov-5th dec

Miami Oct 18, 2016 at 12:17 AM

HI all, im visiting art miami between 29th nov to 5th december. Im from india. would love to meet local VTers from miami.
      if anyone up for it let me know so we can create VT meet accordingly

VT meet in LA

Beverly Hills Oct 18, 2016 at 12:02 AM

Hi I am manish from India. i have set up a meeting in beverly hill in november. Hope to catch up with you and other VT locals. I would really love to meet you guys from LA and around. I know being a thanksgiving week, it might be difficult for all, but would love to meet as many locals as possible.

VT meet in november

Los Angeles Oct 18, 2016 at 12:01 AM

Hi I am manish from India. i have set up a meeting in beverly hill in november. Hope to catch up with you and other VT locals. I would really love to meet you guys from LA and around. I know being a thanksgiving week, it might be difficult for all, but would love to meet as many locals as possible.

• October 14-22

Oahu Sep 29, 2016 at 1:32 AM

Hello :D

I am planning to rent a car and go around Oahu! If anyone is around and would like to join and divide the cost, let me know! I am also down for sharing accommodations as well. :]

• October 14-22

Oahu Sep 29, 2016 at 1:32 AM

Hello :D

I am planning to rent a car and go around Oahu! If anyone is around and would like to join and divide the cost, let me know! I am also down for sharing accommodations as well. :]

• Sharon61bio's Profile Photo

Old School Seafood Platter

Saint Petersburg Sep 26, 2016 at 4:16 PM

Where is the best place in the Clearwater/St Pete area to get a really good fried seafood platter with oysters, shrimp, clams and scallops?

• Great one day tour at south rim

Grand Canyon 5 hours ago

Hi - we are staying at the South Rim Grand Canyon in mid december for two nights. Can anyone recommend one day tour / trip while we are there, that's informative, fun and physical. Thank you!!!

• Is this place vibrant?

Panama City Beach Oct 20, 2016 at 11:21 AM

Hi all, I know someone from England who has been here & he has recommended it to me. In England basically nobody hears of this destination. Is the beach nice? & is there a decent nightlife scene? Many thanks

• Hotels In New Orleans

New Orleans Oct 19, 2016 at 6:49 AM

We are visiting NO next summer. Does anyone know where to stay? We are 4 adults and 3 teenagers.
      We want a good hotel, 3 or 4 stars in a safe city area.

Best regards

• A place to freshen up

Asheville Oct 18, 2016 at 11:53 AM

I am planning a surprise party that will have separate groups coming from different parts of the country arriving on the same day. Sleeping accommodations are taken care of but having them arrive there before the party would ruin the surprise. Is there a good place the parties could meet mid to late afternoon and freshen up after their travels?

• Adrianobr's Profile Photo

Suggestion of Wineries

Napa Oct 17, 2016 at 7:21 AM

I'll be with my family in Napa. Could you suggest good/best wineries to visit and taste?

• TimC52's Profile Photo

vegas stag do night

Las Vegas Oct 10, 2016 at 12:14 PM

i have been given the epic task of organizing the stag do in Vegas day time is sorted it just night time events we are going out on tuesday the 29 nov and looking for ideas for were to drink and what to do any help on this would be great

thankyuo all in advance

• How good is the nightlife in Kansas City?

Kansas City Oct 7, 2016 at 5:51 AM

Hi all, I have 4-7 days to spare when I'm in the US next year. So am considering a few places. Is the nightlife good? & would I be right in thinking there isn't a lot of people from England in Kansas City? many thanks

• Nature photography workshops

United States of America Oct 7, 2016 at 1:28 AM

I want to hear suggestions for the best nature photography workshops as I love nature photography and want to grow as the nature photographer. I am in Los Angeles and ready to travel for the workshops.

• alexloves2travel's Profile Photo

First visit to Boston for the weekend!

Boston Oct 4, 2016 at 4:36 PM

We will be traveling to Boston this weekend for the first time! We will be staying near downtown and would like some suggestions on must do's.

We are also looking to take a day and travel by train to Portland ME to visit. If anyone has any suggestions on must do's in Portland we would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!

• Staying in Boston

Boston Sep 24, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Wie are a mid 50 couple. Will be coming to Boston in mid October for the first time for 3 nights.
      What is the best area to stay and see the touristic interest?

• nyceagle1633's Profile Photo

When and Where to Stay on the Alabama Coast

Alabama Oct 18, 2016 at 8:57 AM

Looking for either December or early April to go to Alabama. Never been. Want to do the coast. Which is the nicest beach, not too loud. Is the water warm enough in December or April/May.

• ohaiyo's Profile Photo

Going to Key West

Miami Oct 7, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Is there a shuttle bus or ferry from Miami to Key West? I am going during President's Day weekend next year.

• How good is the nightlife in Newport Beach?

Newport Beach Oct 7, 2016 at 5:54 AM

Hi all, I have 4-7 days to spare when I'm in the US next year. So am considering a few places. Is the nightlife any good? many thanks

• Transport to Inyokern

Lancaster Oct 2, 2016 at 5:59 AM

What is the cheapest way to get from Lancaster CA to Inyokern. We have a shuttle booked with Antelope to get from LAX to Lancaster but need onward travel to Inyokern.

• suekay3's Profile Photo

Toll roads?

Portland Aug 17, 2016 at 6:00 PM

We are renting a car in Portland and the car rental agency wants us to rent a PlatePass to pay for tolls where there are no cashiers in the booths. Apparently this is a national trend. Can you tell me if there are many tollroads in the Portland area ?

14 Answers Aug 19, 2016 at 4:12 PM
    • suekay3's Profile Photo

Toll roads?

Portland Aug 17, 2016 at 5:51 PM

We are renting a car in Portland and the car rental agency wants us to rent a PlatePass to pay for tolls where there are no cashiers in the booths. Apparently this is a national trend. Can you tell me if there are many tollroads in the Portland area ?

2 Answers Aug 17, 2016 at 6:30 PM
    • Trying to put together a 7-10 day trip to explore Washington and Oregon

Portland Jul 21, 2016 at 1:48 PM

The plan is to fly into Portland or Seattle and fly out of the other city.
      We will rent a car and want to definitely see the highlights that are most reasonable given our time constraints.
      I've heard the Oregon coast is amazing. Also heard about the hiking in the gorge!
      As for Washington - I know the winery Chateau St Michelle is nearby - that may be more doable.
      My boyfriend has never been to Seattle so I want him to see the market etc.
      But I would also love to see some of the whales and not sure if trying to squeeze in any of the islands is worth it or reasonable.
      We are foodies and hope to experience the each city for atleast a day a half plus some excursions.
      Any suggestions you can offer about routes to take - things to see and do and or a reasonable itinerary for 7 days is awesome. We don't want to come home exhausted but we also aren't afraid to pack a lot into a day and want some unique experiences that we can't have in other states!
      Thank you!

7 Answers Jul 22, 2016 at 10:05 PM
    • Amber Spiders in Oregon Forests

Oregon Jul 10, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Are amber spiders in Oregon poisonous? How dangerous are they? Thank you.

6 Answers Jul 11, 2016 at 6:14 PM
    • GyuriFT's Profile Photo

Amtrak (Coast StarLATE) on-time performance from LA, public transportation to the airport

Eugene Jun 23, 2016 at 1:39 PM

1) We are coming from the southern direction on Coast Star"Late", pardon, Coast Starlight.
      A while ago the on-time performance used to be pretty bad - how it is now?

2) I discovered, renting a car from the Enterprise or Hertz near the Amtrak station and returning it back at the PDX in Portland means quite hefty one-way fees. Same about returning it to the Eugene airport.
      I do not see a lot of public transportation possibilities.
      The "plan B" is quite nasty:
      - rent the car for a day at the Hertz or Enterprise near Amtrak station in Eugene
      - reserve a car from a European car rental gateway (Amtrak station is not on their list!) from Eugene airport to PDX one-way, that avoids one-way surcharges.
      - my wife drops me off the next day at Eugene airport, I pick up the rental car there, we follow each other back to Amtrak and return the car to Hertz / Enterprise

That works, except it is quite inconvenient. A taxi from Amtrak station to the airport seem to be in $30 range or more. I do not see any bus.

What to do than? Proceed with that inconvenient two-car-rental-follow-each-other trick?

10 Answers Jun 24, 2016 at 9:19 PM
    • Wedding night

Portland Jun 19, 2016 at 9:19 PM

Looking for the best honeymoon hotels/packages in Portland, OR

6 Answers Jun 21, 2016 at 11:45 AM
    • Help!! I5 or hwy 97??

Oregon Apr 23, 2016 at 6:30 AM

Hello! I do not have alot of experience driving through mountain areas and will be travelling along with my elderly mother and 2 dogs from San Diego to Seattle in May. Originally, i was going to take the I5 all the way to make good time but i am a little worried about Siskiyou Summit. Can anyone give me advice?? Is hwy 97 twisty, turny with steep hills?

5 Answers Apr 23, 2016 at 9:52 PM
    • What is the best Route with a large 26' RV

Klamath Falls Mar 25, 2016 at 9:26 AM

What is best route From Independence, Oregon to Klamath Falls, Oregon. What Rv park is not out of the way but has all the hookups, and is the best campsite for a 26 ft. RV in Klamath Falls, Oregon.

3 Answers Apr 12, 2016 at 4:06 PM
    • Getting around in and from Lake Oswego, Portland, Oregon

Portland Feb 25, 2016 at 4:17 PM

Hello, My wife and I (resident in New Zealand) are visiting my elderly mother at Marys Woods for about 2 weeks in May. If we want to get around a bit, should we rent a car or depend on public transport and taxis?

7 Answers Apr 12, 2016 at 4:10 PM
    • kehale's Profile Photo

Crater Lake in April

Oregon Feb 24, 2016 at 9:16 AM

We have a road trip planned for April, and we'll be going through Washington, Oregon and down to see family in San Diego. I'd like to visit Crater Lake, but we'd arrive there around the first week of April. Based on what I've read the roads may not always be open to view Crater Lake at that time of year. Has anyone visited Crater Lake in early spring? Any advice? Should we just skip it?

3 Answers Feb 24, 2016 at 12:37 PM
    • Lodging for Pub Tour

Portland Jan 15, 2016 at 11:32 AM

Would like suggestions for decent affordable($100 or less) hotels conveniently located for brew pub touring.

3 Answers Jan 16, 2016 at 11:01 PM
    • Some help, please!

Portland Dec 29, 2015 at 7:33 AM

Hey guys! I've seen some really useful answers here so I figured I'd pose my question. My boyfriend and I (early 30s) are very interested in going to Portland but we're from Miami so the cold weather isn't exactly in our blood. WIth my scheudle we're limited to going specific dates at the end of January but we don't want to freeze our buns off and be unable to enjoy our time. We want to travel afforadbly and found some decent reviewed hotels for a reasonable price (all we need is a place to rest our heads and stay warm). We enjoy outdoor activities and relaxing at a good microbrewery (a little disappointed that the Japanese garderns will be closed but I'm sure there's still lots to do). We figured we would decide when we get there if we wanted to rent a car or use Lyft services to get around. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks all!

2 Answers Jan 1, 2016 at 10:24 AM
    • New Years Eve + Hotel/Things to do Questions!

Portland Dec 28, 2015 at 7:33 PM

Hi All! My husband and I (mid 30s) booked a last minute trip to Portland for New Years Eve- we arrive on Wed Dec 30 and leave Sunday. We are looking forward to exploring the city, visiting wineries, maybe seeing whales migrate and generally relaxing and taking in some beautiful scenery and great restaurants. A few Qs:

1. Any advice choosing between Hotel Monaco or Riverplace Hotel? Monaco seems to have a better location but Riverplace looks really pretty (note there are no river view rooms left so not sure if it's still worth it). Both are reasonably priced so not worried about that.

2. Any advice on things to do on New Years Eve in Portland? Not looking for any big parties- maybe just a nice dinner and drinks, something low key. Restaurant ideas?

3. For wineries- is it better to do a tour or do on our own? If tour, can anyone recommend a private tour? (we'd rather customize our day versus doing a big bus tour)

4. I read it's a great time of year to see whales migrating to Mexico- any advice on where to go to have the best chance of seeing whales?

Phew- I think that's all for now! All advice and tips appreciated!

4 Answers Dec 28, 2015 at 9:13 PM
    • danishtraveller's Profile Photo

Car Hire - Portland

Portland Dec 9, 2015 at 4:12 AM

I will be in Portland, OR for 2 weeks around Christmas from 13 to 28 December and I need to rent a full size vehicle or similar for 5 people. Alamo comes in as the cheapest but their reputation precedes them... Can anyone recommend a place to rent a vehicle from in Portland. It doesn't matter where in Portland. I am from Denmark, live in Malaysia and hold drivers licenses from the UK and Australia.

8 Answers Dec 14, 2015 at 2:50 PM
    • can anyone help with travel tips

Coos Bay Nov 18, 2015 at 8:00 AM

i need some awesome travel tips

4 Answers Nov 18, 2015 at 2:20 PM
    • djs music dub trap

Portland Oct 29, 2015 at 8:11 PM

where can i see djs mixing dub and trap music

1 Answer Oct 29, 2015 at 8:24 PM
    • hotel/b&b recomendation

Portland Oct 4, 2015 at 9:30 AM

Have a trip to Portland that has come up last minute and I could use some recommendations for reasonable hotels/b&b's. Would prefer downtown or close to downtown. Thanks!

6 Answers Oct 6, 2015 at 5:26 PM
    • footstool's Profile Photo

What to do in Gold Beach right after Labor Day?

Gold Beach Aug 30, 2015 at 7:56 AM

We have a car and know how to drive. Sept 12 thru Sept 15. I do know about the Rogue River bike ride & beer fest. Are there any local events in nearby towns? Thanks!

2 Answers Aug 30, 2015 at 8:24 PM
    • lighthouse

Cannon Beach Aug 18, 2015 at 6:50 PM

where can I see the lighthouse in cannon beach, oregon

3 Answers Aug 18, 2015 at 9:20 PM
    • WhiteMughal's Profile Photo

Addon Rental Fees

Portland Jul 27, 2015 at 5:24 PM

Just wondering. I rented a car at the airport in Portland, and on the bill there were miscellaneous fees, some apparently government taxes, added. They totaled $127 on a two day rental. Is this only this bad at the airport?

8 Answers Jul 29, 2015 at 3:05 PM
    • toddecus's Profile Photo

Where is the nearest nice hotel?

West Linn Jul 26, 2015 at 6:30 PM

Trying to find the closest reasonable hotel?

5 Answers Jul 27, 2015 at 7:17 PM
    • Oregon Coast from Napa

Oregon Jul 20, 2015 at 1:03 PM

How do I get to the Oregon coast from Napa, CA? I am driving up to Washington.

I have a GPS, but last time I tried to use it, it took me along unmarked roads that ended after 18 miles in a huge impassable snow drift and I had to turn around and go back to the I-5.

16 Answers Jul 27, 2015 at 3:19 AM
    • Cowboy experience

Oregon May 31, 2015 at 12:39 PM

I hope someone can help me. My husband has always wanted to do a Cowboy experience. I think he means a short horse ride (he has never ridden a horse), camp fires, ranch to stay in overnight, etc, etc. Years ago, he used to play "The Oregon Trail" on our very 1st home PC and whilst that game may not be the best recommendation, he has it in his head that Oregon is the best place to do this.

As we are in the UK and he has a very special birthday next year, I thought I would save up my pennies and surprise him with this as a gift. I think they are called Dude Ranches?

Anyway, I don't know where to start really. I very little knowledge of the Oregon region but thought that as we are travelling so far, it would be nice to incorporate this experience with a fly/drive holiday of the area.

So I guess I am looking for suggestions of sight seeing. i.e. mountains, parks etc to visit and also recommendations of a Dude Ranch. One that can cater for non-experienced riders.

I am thinking of a 14 night holiday, touring.

Thank you so much in advance for any help and suggestions!

15 Answers Jul 29, 2015 at 10:43 AM
    • Recommendations for 3 day stop

Portland May 10, 2015 at 11:28 PM

I will be dropping by Portland for about 3 days after a trip in Seattle on June 6-8. After hearing great things about the unique traits of Portland, I was hoping to get some recommendations (can never have enough beer) from some locals on what to do (Mon-Wed) to have a fun relaxing visit.

I love good food and great beer, two things I know Portland is well known for.

9 Answers May 15, 2015 at 8:55 PM
    • Base camp Walla Walla vs Joseph OR

Oregon Apr 26, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Hi we are traveling from Puget Sound area. Want to take in wineries, art and hike. Should we simply divide our stay 2 nights each or is one location more desirable
      Thank you

1 Answer Apr 26, 2015 at 7:33 PM
    • Florida999's Profile Photo

One more question : bridge at Longview to Oregon

Oregon Mar 17, 2015 at 7:06 AM

I want to confirm that this bridge is currently closed for construction and what the alternative is. I really do not want to drive over the very long scary bridge at Astoria.

9 Answers Mar 18, 2015 at 5:05 PM
    • Florida999's Profile Photo

Good hiking trail at Mount Hood

Oregon Mar 17, 2015 at 7:03 AM

We don't want to hike all the way up Mount Hood ( we have no equipment, a dog that hasn't hiked at those elevations and not enough time) but would like to do some hiking there. Any suggestions? We are all in decent shape and do hike up mountains so we are not looking for a paved half mile trail
      Also, it appears you can hike anywhere in that area with a dog, is that correct?

Oh yeah, we will be there in July

5 Answers Mar 18, 2015 at 6:40 AM
    • Dogs in the park

Fort Stevens State Park Feb 10, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Are dogs allowed everywhere in the Fort Stevens State Park?

6 Answers Mar 17, 2015 at 6:58 AM
    • Craft beer

Oregon Feb 9, 2015 at 1:27 AM

Where can I find the best craft beer in Portland?

6 Answers Feb 9, 2015 at 6:13 PM
    • transportation to Portland PDX from Roseburg OR

Roseburg Nov 29, 2014 at 10:56 AM

What available transportation (bus/shuttle) is there from Roseburg OR
      to Portland airport PDX?

5 Answers Nov 30, 2014 at 7:32 PM