VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Ocho Rios Travel Answers

change location

Would like info on exploring Ocho Rios without booking a shore excursion

by daisylover26 Online Now Aug 26, 2003 at 6:53 AM

My husband and I are leaving for a cruise in two weeks. One of our stops will be in Ocho Rios. I'd like to explore the island a little without booking a shore excursion through the cruise line, but I'm wondering if that would be a good idea? Here are my questions: Is it safe to explore the island alone? Will we be able to access shopping and Dunn River Falls without taking a bus or taxi? Is there anything else that we should make sure to see? Any other comments/suggestions on anything? Thanks!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • seraphine's Profile Photo

Re: Would like info on exploring Ocho Rios without booking a shore excursion

by seraphine Online Now Jun 11, 2011 at 4:43 AM

nothing is more simple cause the ship is right in town one minute to public beach and there is a path called reggae trail to dunn s river falls within half hour walk from the pier if you do not want to hire shoes to climb the falls carry a pair of rubber shoes they rent them for 7 us!! ocho rios is a small place where it is easy to walk and shop and there is a lot of police especially on cruise ship days!! it is not dangerous maybe only bothering cause a few people will want to sell you trinkets but police is there with abundance do not worry!! SERAPHINE

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines