How do I get from Zurich to Oberwesel via train? As a tourist travelling with a family do I need to book in advance or should I juts buy my train tickets at the Zurich station, last minute?
Also, we plan to take a train to Amsterdam from Oberwesel. Are there any direct trains or would I need to change a number of times?
Does anyone know if there are taxis that will drive you form the Oberwesel train station to Hotel Auf Shoenburg? I will be traveling with my parents, who are older and may not make the climb very well.
Does the castle allow touring? Please give opening times and admission price.
Is there a place in Oberwesel to rent a car so I may drive through the wine country?
I need someone familiar with the Koblenz Hbf.
I have been looking at the DB BAHN schedules between Oberwesel and Cologne and it looks like the convenient ones have a stop in Koblenz with about 5 minutes to make the connection.
Are there any smaller trains, or other transportation (bus?) between Oberwesel and Cologne?
If I take the train ... one of the changes in Koblenz goes from "Platform 7" (IC) to "Platform 5 Nord" (RB). How close are the platforms, and can the change be made in 5 minutes?
Same question ... Koblenz, from "Platform 2 Sud" (RB) to "Platform 3" (ICE) - also in 5 minutes.
I am posting under Koblenz as well.
I have visited http://www.bahn.de/p/view/index.shtml and a couple of questions.
First, it looks like I could purchase my tickets before I leave, and save the time and worry of having change, is this correct? So assuming I'm buying my tickets before leaving (I'm pretty good at keeping schedules):
- I entered "FRA" as the choice of originations. Search ended up with two selections from Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Regionalbf and Frankfurt (M) Flughafen Fernbf. Are any of these the main Frankfurt airport? Not sure about Fernbf, the Regional sounds like the wrong Flughafen!
- For Oberwesel, would the right choice be Oberwesel Bahnhof?
- As far as the train, there are ICE, S,RB and RB - but no train number. I know ICE are the cool white ones, but how do you tell apart S and RB without a train number? I am speculating the train number could surface after you actually purchase the ticket - but so far, no number. How do I know which is the right train?
So, any help confirming the right from/to stations and sorting out the train to get from Frankfurt airport to Oberwesel would be appreciated! Thanks!
I have an afternoon and two days to see the Koln Cathedral and do some sailing on the Rhein. Have found the beautiful Hotel Auf Schonburg (and have also looked at the existing Oberwesel postings) - but there is no information on how to reach the hotel if traveling by train. Have a couple of questions:
1. Is it possible to visit the hotel if traveling by train (assuming taxi) - what would be the nearest train station, and is there reliable taxi service?
2. Would this be a good place to be based if I would like to visit Koln one day, sail on the Rhein on a different day, and visit one chosen castle?
3. Is this place safe for a woman traveling alone?
4. Could you suggest some logistics - that is, what portions to do on train, how to avoid carrying luggage (i.e. hopefully leave the luggage in the hotel) -
5. I have visited the welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/i... web site, problem is there are way too many towns. Any recommendations in the best towns to walk thru as far as (1) good local atmosphere vs. touristy, and (2) picturesque, as a village and natural views.
I will be going back towards Frankfurt at the end of the 2.5 days.
Appreciate all your suggestions.
I have booked 2 nights in April at the Schloss Schonburg. I am arriving by train from Trechtingshausen. I noticed there aren't many pages dedicated to this area on this site. Any 'must-do' activities in the general vicinity? How far exactly is the walk from the train station to the Castle in case I feel like stretching my legs instead of hiring the taxi? Are there lockers in the train station since I will be arriving well before check-in?
We are very excited to be staying in Oberwesel for the upcoming new years eve.
We are staying at Weinhuas Weiler and celebrating new years eve dinner there with fireworks over the Rhine.
We have arranged to have dinner at the Castle Schoenberg on New Year Day.
Does anyone know if we can walk there or will we need a taxi?
If we do need a taxi - are they easily available?
Also - any tips on places to get good food or pasteries would be great!!
HOW DO YOU GET FROM THE HAHN FRANKFURT/HAHN AIRPORT TO THE HOTEL AUF SCHONBURG? I CANNOT FIND ADDRESSES FOR EITHER THE HHN AIRPORT OR THE CASTLE HOTEL SCHONBURG. cOULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME AS WE HAVE RENTED A CAR AND NEED EXACT DIRECTIONS AND THE TIME IT TAKES TO GET TO THE HOTEL. ALSO, CAN YOU DRIVE UP TO THE HOTEL AND DROP OFF YOUR LUGGAGE AND THEN GP AND PARK YOUR CAR AT THE BOTTOM? THANK YOU