VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Travel Answers
Nuku Hiva

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Tahitian Pearls 101 Help!!

French Polynesia Dec 24, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Hey,

So... my plan is to spend 1 full day in Tahiti, 5 days in Moorea and 5 days in Bora Bora. So - being a lady here... I love jewelry - and for the men here... I'm single so it's my own paycheck (not my "man's") so no hating ^______^

So... here are my questions

1- Where would be the best place to buy Tahitian pearls?  I'm interested in buying good quality dark black ones!!  I'm assuming on the main Island of Tahiti - but how readily accessible is it?  I will be staying at the Intercontinental Resort. How about Moorea/Bora Bora - any good options. I know there are pearl farms - and I know you can arrange an excursion/tour to those places - but chances are they are probably the expensive ones (contracted?). Would appreciate any advice on location for my pearly blacks!  I know there are stores that probably sell them on Moorea + BB - but quality vs price vs upmarketing for being on Bora Bora etc.

2- How can you tell if they are legit? I know you can "bite"/rub them on your teeth and if it's not smooth, they are real - or so they say. Is there a more hygienic approach?  I suppose if they are from a store they are automatically legit... but if you buy them from a local shop/market/farm?

3- Approximately - what price am I looking at? I know it depends on size, color, shape and the amount of "birthmarks" on the pearls... but what am I looking at? I would love to purchase nice black, round ones with little birthmarks - so maybe "good/great quality". I'm assuming buying them separately is more cost effective but you'll have to match them - shouldn't be to hard for earrings... but a necklace... OUCH. Would love a necklace!!! I'm assuming it's expensive - but wouldn't you think that's the cheapest place to buy them since they originated from there?  Again just roughly for good quality ones...

4- Do you bargain with the sellers or not? If so how do you approach it? Also - what currency do you use?

5- Finally - since we're on the topic of spending hard earned $$$ then feeling bad about it... any cool souvenirs/shops you've seen/can recommend. Thanks!!

PS.  Feel free to PM me any advice/personal experiences or anyting!!!

more
    • vehicle rental

by DTJ19060 Online Now Dec 24, 2014 at 4:19 AM

Do you know of some car rentals in Nuku Hiva who would meet us at the dock
      with the vehicle? We had a 4WD rented, but since the cruise line changed the itinerary,
      I haven't been able to contact the company to change our date. I wonder if it being Jan 1,
      2015, makes any difference. Thank you for helping.
      Janet

• rsgoers's Profile Photo

Has anyone been to Nuku Hiva?

by rsgoers Online Now Nov 19, 2014 at 2:48 PM

What was your impression of the island, where did you stay and what did you do?

1 Answer Nov 20, 2014 at 4:37 AM
    • Nuku Hiva day tours

by cl3150 Online Now Sep 29, 2012 at 1:39 PM

We'll be in Nuku Hiva in mid-January for a day on a cruise. Can anyone recommend a reliable qualified agency that does tours of the area?

Carl

1 Answer Oct 15, 2012 at 5:17 AM