Nice Travel Answers

change location

DETAILS ON DAY TRIPS FROM NICE TO CANNES AND MONACO

by PINKY54 Online Now May 21, 2013 at 5:27 AM

Hi, We plan to do a day trip from Nice to Cannes and another from Nice to Monaco. We will be staying at Hotel Mercure Nice Centre Grimaldi, 6 Rue Grimaldi, 06000 Nice. Request for some specific details on the following: (1) Which bus to take to Cannes and from where. (2) Where to get down at Cannes? (3) How to get to the beach at Juan Les Pins from Cannes by Public transport (4) Which bus to take to Monaco from Nice (5) Be grateful from specific locations of bus stops etc. Thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
15 Answers
  • jmandel's Profile Photo

Re: DETAILS ON DAY TRIPS FROM NICE TO CANNES AND MONACO

by jmandel Online Now May 21, 2013 at 5:59 AM

I would not take the bus. The train service out of Nice to all these areas is the quickest & easiest way to go & not very expensive. The bus sometimes takes a round about route with many stops plus you can get stuck in traffic. We made the mistake of taking the bus from Nice to Juan Les Pin. It took us about 11/2 hours. We took the train back & it was only about 20 minutes.
    John

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Elainehead's Profile Photo

by Elainehead Online Now May 21, 2013 at 7:21 AM

I agree with the previous poster. While the bus fare (bus n° 200) is really cheap (only 1€), the trip can take up to 2h30 depending on the traffic. Nice's main train station is only a 10 minute-walk from your hotel and it takes between 29 to 40 minutes - depending on what local train you take - to get to Cannes (one-way ticket: 6,60€).

I advise the same about going to Monaco. Take the train. It's a 20 minute-trip (3,70€). The bus n° 100 takes about 1 h and the fare is still only 1€. This line is very popular and I think it's a little chaotic to manage to get inside the bus at the departure stop (near Segurane bus stop by the Velo Bleu station), despite the presence of an inspector and the frequence of the bus service (every 15 minutes). Some people don't respect the "first come, first served" basis and simply cut you in line... If you decide taking the bus, watch out with your valuables (wallet/purse) since it's one of the picketpockets' favorite bus lines.

Bus n° 100 timetable and itinerary: cg06.fr/cms/cg06/upload/serv...

by Elainehead Online Now May 21, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Ops pickpockets

Be the first to rate this answer!

• NiceLife's Profile Photo

by NiceLife Online Now May 21, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Not to nitpick but the bus fares went up from a euro to 1 euro 50 cents at the beginning of May. A lot of 50 cent coins have suddenly started appearing in change as a result.

The trains for Cannes do not have a regular timetable - there can be well over an hour between them at some times of day, so it pays to check the timetables, and makes sense to buy the tickets the day befor you travel so you don't end up in the notorious long queues at the ticket desks when you have minutes before the train departs

The 200 bus which runs between Nice and Cannes can be used to travel from Cannes to JLP. It starts outside the town hall along from the Palais de Festivals direction Le Suquet.

• NiceLife's Profile Photo

by NiceLife Online Now May 21, 2013 at 9:47 AM

the picketpockets' favorite bus is where I lost my wallet a few years back. It makes a lot of sense to invest in one of those zipped moneybelt that goes across the chest under clothing. They will need more than slippery fingers to get it this time.

If you take the train you may hear a warning on the loudspeaker that there are "four robbers making their way through the train". I heard it last week out of Nice, and its a recording designed to frighten tourist into taking security precautions. It was quite alarming at the time! I thought - why tell us, why not do something about it! Couple of boats in Villefranche deposited a few hundred tourists at the station trying to save money on the Monaco excursion and it was pickpocket paradise.

by Elainehead Online Now May 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM

So far, only the fares for Lignes d'Azur network buses/tram have gone up from 1€ to 1,50€.

I live in Nice and I often take the bus to go to Monaco, Villeneuve-Loubet, etc. As a matter of fact, I took buses n° 100 and 200 last week.

If you do not ask a ticket with a connection, the fare with TAM buses (100, 200, 400, 500 etc) is 1€ for now (prices will eventually go up according to one of the bus drivers).

A few examples:

Bus n° 200 to Cagnes-sur-mer: the fare is 1,50€

Bus n° 200 to Villeneuve-Loubet: the fare is 1€

Bus n° 100 to Villefranche-sur-mer: the fare is 1,50€

Bus n° 100 to Monaco: the fare is 1€

Bus n° 100 from Monaco to Nice with a tram connection: the fare is 1,50€

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now May 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM

you got advise already leaning towards the train. However, when I go, often on business I fly into Nice and take the bus to Cannes, very nice ride, and see more of the town. ok to say I am not a train person, the car is even better lol!!!

• Muscovite's Profile Photo

by Muscovite Online Now May 21, 2013 at 9:59 PM

It may save you lots of time (and folks at VT, too), if you take a Lignes d'Azur map from their office at Place Massena. It has all bus routes and stops, plus the tram. I guess, TAM network is there, too. I never go out without it in my bag.
    Concerning the question – I would take the train to Cannes, and the bus to Monaco. P.S. There is a helicopter service, too 

by Muscovite Online Now May 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM

‘the fares for Lignes d'Azur network buses/tram have gone up from 1€ to 1,50€’, and the airport bus – from 4€ to 6€
    - They promised the 75% tax is for the rich only, didn’t they?..

• ant1606's Profile Photo

by ant1606 Online Now May 22, 2013 at 4:04 AM

Train = faster than bus
    Bus = more scheduled rides than train (daytime) and sort of scenic as it follows the coast

by Elainehead Online Now Jul 10, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Elainehead wrote:
    So far, only the fares for Lignes d'Azur network buses/tram have gone up from 1€ to 1,50€.

I live in Nice and I often take the bus to go to Monaco, Villeneuve-Loubet, etc. As a matter of fact, I took buses n° 100 and 200 last week.

If you do not ask a ticket with a connection, the fare with TAM buses (100, 200, 400, 500 etc) is 1€ for now (prices will eventually go up according to one of the bus drivers).

A few examples:

Bus n° 200 to Cagnes-sur-mer: the fare is 1,50€

Bus n° 200 to Villeneuve-Loubet: the fare is 1€

Bus n° 100 from Monaco to Nice with a tram connection: the fare is 1,50€

Since July 1st, 2013, the TAM bus fares (n° 100, 200, etc) are now 1,50€.

by Muscovite Online Now Jul 11, 2013 at 9:23 AM

- This logic can drive anyone crazy: what's the distance to Villefranche, compared with that to Monaco? Should be cheaper, not dearer!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jul 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Monaco pays more subsidy, they have more money

by Muscovite Online Now Jul 12, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Good use for the money, too, - they've got immaculately clean streets