Newhall

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Charges for attractions within Yosemite National Park

Yosemite National Park Jul 17, 2016 at 4:32 AM

Are there charge for car parking within Yosemite after you have paid your entrance fee?
      Are the attractions like Tunnel View and Sentinel Dome free of charge once you have paid your entrance fee to Yosemite Park?

more
    • Looking for travel Buddies for a Road trip in California

California Jul 19, 2016 at 5:15 PM

Hey guys my name is Tim 20years old and German .I am looking for people which want to rent a car with me and do a Road Trip in California.I have no fixed schedule or stops so we could deside evrything together.Only thing which is fixed that i am arriving at the 13 of August in La and depart at 9th September back home.If your intrestet just send me a few describtion of your self and we see if we fit together
      For sure you will got one of me as well.Trying to keep this short cause people migth more recodnize it,but feel free to asked me anything.
      I really hope to find awesome people and become good freinds
      Please contact me.Dont worry if i am not answering imidetly i am traveling australia rigth know.
      looking forward to hear from you.

Tim

more
    • Hitchhiking

Yosemite National Park Jul 9, 2016 at 10:27 PM

Im going backpacking early August, I am leaving from glacier point. I need a ride to the top of glacier point from the valley, but the bus is too long and there is no taxi service. I know I can park up there but I am coming back to the valley afterwards, so I need to leave my car there. My questions are
      1)how safe is hitchhiking in the early morning (7:00ish)
      2) how reliable is hitchhiking
      3) is there any place I can post asking for a ride
      4) could I offer to pay a park staff to take me up there?
      Thanks!!!!
      Btw we are a group of three total

more
    • YVRDave's Profile Photo

Universal Studios

Burbank Jul 19, 2016 at 10:56 AM

Hey all, does anyone know of a discounter for Studio Tours? If they exist.
      Thanks

more
    • We'll be in San Francisco from the 4th September, any good soul willing to help a bit?

San Francisco Jul 19, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Hi Tourists!

We're from Italy and we'll be in SF as part of our honeymoon trip to the US. We'll get to the SFO airport Sunday 4th September, in the late afternoon/early evening. We'll stay in SF for about 4 days, then 2 days out to the Yosemite and back for 2 days to see the Silicon Valley area before heading to Vegas.

We have pretty much this part of the trip organized but are still concerned with a few things.

1) What is the best way to get from the airport to our hotel in Chinatown? We're thinking of shared vans or Uber but not sure about Uber since we won't have a working SIM with a data plan straight out of the airport. If there is some kind fellow member of the community willing to give us a lift, we'd appreciate - of course we will pay you for the disturb (as long as you don't charge more than an Uber/van hehe).

2) What is the easiest and quickest way to get a SIM card with a prepaid data plan with a few GB included (we were thinking not less than 4GB)? We're considering going to an AT&T store on the 5th but since it's Labor Day we still can't understand if shops will be open or closed that day. Of course, if there is some kind member of the community willing to help us out in any way it's much appreciated.

3) Since I'm in the IT field myself (back-end web developer), I'd love to meet someone there. Of course the bay area is the heart of IT and I'm sure I could potentially meet many interesting people, chat a bit about work stuff, how's life there and stuff like that. Oh, and if there's someone from a big company like Google, Facebook, Apple and such who's willing to meet an Italian developer and talk about interesting stuff - I'm TOTALLY for it. Don't hesitate to reply or PM me, drinks on me.

So thanks for reading, eagerly waiting for some replies!

more
    • Drive time/Traffic? LA to Big Sur~Better to go Fri-Sun or Sun. to Tues.

Big Sur Jul 12, 2016 at 12:50 AM

Hi~

Would it be better to plan a trip for "Option #1" leaving Friday 7/29 about 10am from LA & return Sun. 7/31. If we left by 10am on a Friday, would weekend travel already be picking up & travel times much longer than the 6-6.5 hours I've seen estimated as a general drive time ( without stops). If so, any sense of how much time it would add? It sounds like it's important to make it out past Santa Barbara before or after commute times & then traffic improves. We really didn't want to leave at 5 a.m. as I saw recommended on a few postings, so I thought it would be better to plan to leave about 10am and hope a.m. traffic had eased up.           Our "Option #2" = Leaving Sun. 7/31 10am from LA to Big Sur and return Tuesday 8/2. If we left LA for Big Sur on Sun 7/31 would we be going against the traffic and therefore have a shorter drive time? We want to make the most of the time we have in CA. This will be our first family trip together to CA.  I know we can make the ride a bit shorter if we skip portions of the PCH but we will stick to the scenic route as much as we can. So much great info. here....Thanks from Boston!

more
    • Places to experience culture

San Francisco Jul 21, 2016 at 12:35 AM

Hi,

My two friends and I are traveling to San Francisco from Australia in November, we are all aged 21 and male.
      I was wondering if anyone can tell us some places that are worth while checking out other than the obvious ones like Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge.
      We have heard that there is a great vibe and feeling around the city, and we are looking for some places that will enable us to experience this and the culture of the area.
      Anything from nightlife and restaurants to places to visit.

Thank you.

more
    • Honeymoon in California

California Jul 14, 2016 at 8:22 AM

I'm looking to find out opinions on where to stay in California that would be a great location to venture on foot to see Hollywood Blvd, Universal Studios, studio tours, and Hollywood Celebrity tours. We are not opposed to taking public transportation either. We just want recommendations on close proximity to see the sites without paying an arm and a leg for rates, or spending too much time on buses to get to and from. We are looking to spend about 4 days in this location to take in the sites of the entertainment industry as my fiance and I are huge TV and movie enthusiasts. We are also on a budget and want to be close to affordable hotels and restaurants. Any help will be appreciated.

more
    • akikonomu's Profile Photo

Day trip to Napa Valley

San Francisco Jul 6, 2016 at 9:15 AM

Dear VTers
      Will be in SFO for the first time in early November and planning a day trip to Napa valley.
      My priority is to walk the towns of St Helena/Yountville at leisure and fit in 1 or 2 vineyards if possible. Planning to take the BART from town centre (Powell) to El Cerrito, then bus shuttle to towns.
      Any comments/feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

more
    • Trip after NAPA

Napa Jul 13, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Would like to take an additional 3 days after visiting NAPA. Not interested in San Francisco. Ideas? Willing to drive or take an additional flight.

more
    • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Visiting LA from San Pedro

Los Angeles Jul 7, 2016 at 10:23 AM

I am tentatively scheduled to go on a cruise to Hawaii from Los Angeles (San Pedro) Nov 2017 with another lady (Polly) who has never been to the west coast (or Hawaii). For some reason, I thought that we would leave from San Diego, but we are actually leaving from LA (San Pedro). So I have decided not to try to visit San Diego as I don't want to rent a car or drive in that area.

I am not a fan of LA. I thought we would come in a day in advance and maybe do a little sightseeing (like a trolley or a harbor cruise) in San Pedro, and I want to take photos of the lighthouses there (which is why the harbor cruise).

So can I skip the harbor cruise because I will see the lighthouses when the ship leaves port?

I feel a little guilty about not showing Polly some of the things in LA while we are there. Last time I was in LA (other than between planes at the airport in 2012) was back in the early-mid 60's and we did things like go to Disney, Knotts Berry Farm and did a Universal Studio tour. I don't see any point in doing those things even if they were possible. I don't know if she would be interested in some kind of Homes of the Stars tours. Before I ask her, I'd like to know what would be possible for someone who does not want to rent a car or drive if they land at LAX and go to a hotel in San Pedro.

more
    • tmpierce's Profile Photo

Santa Monica

Los Angeles Jul 5, 2016 at 11:35 AM

We are arriving September 8th at LAX and catching a cruise out of Long Beach on September 10th. I had originally thought I wanted to stay in Long Beach, but the sightseeing that I want to do is making me rethink this. Our must dos are the Walk of Fame and Hollywood in general, Rodeo Drive and Beverly Hills area, and view the Hollywood Sign. We also want to explore Santa Monica. I am thinking since we will not have a car that Santa Monica is probably the best place to stay. I am looking for ideas for hotels, transportation and additional must see areas of Los Angeles that we can fit into our limited schedule. I am considering doing one of those hop on/off buses for our full day there, but not sure if it would be the best choice. We will taxi or Uber to the port on Saturday morning....thoughts?. Hotel budget is $350/night.

more
    • One day in Yosemite (June Lake to Merced, via Yosemite)

Yosemite National Park Yesterday

Hello,

We are staying at June Lake and next day stay is booked at Merced. It is for coming weekend. Between this, we want to see few points in Yosemite, as much as we can comfortably. We are travelling with elder parents, who will not be interested in hikes and long walks, so most of the time, it would be stop, see, click pictures, come back to car and go for next spot. I am reading idea on TA and came up with below sequence. Please fix/comment on its order or feasibility, if you feel it can be better planned.
      - Start from June Lake around 9 AM
      - Tuolumne Meadows
      - Tenaya Lake
      - Olmsted Point
      - El Capitan Meadow
      - Yosemite Falls
      - Cook's Meadow Loop
      - Curry Village
      - Bridalveil Falls
      - Tunnel View
      - Glacier Point
      - Back to Merced via Mariposa

While coming back from Glacier Point, do I need to backtrack all the way back till Bridalveil Falls and then take El Portal road to Merced ? Or I need to take some other road, I couldn't find on Google map.
      Being less water in Yosemite Fall, is it still worth to stop there ?
      Please suggest.
      Regards

more