New Zealand

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Active 60 year olds staying in Queenstown vs. Wanaka,

Queenstown Nov 28, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Should Active 60 year olds stay in Queenstown vs. Wanaka,as our first stop after flying for a full day to get to New Zealand?

more
    • margsch's Profile Photo

Tour groups affected by earthquake

New Zealand Nov 15, 2016 at 3:44 AM

My sister and her husband flew to NZ on monday to join a coach tour of the South Island. They flew to Christchurch. I have sent her a text message and have not had a reply. I realise no coach tours have had injured passengers but would like to know what the plan is likely to be - if New Zealanders could let me know what the likely outcome will be I would appreciate it.

more
    • lesliench's Profile Photo

Rent a campervan

New Zealand Nov 22, 2016 at 7:40 AM

I will travel to new Zealand from 10/4/2017 to 16/4/2017. I am searching the information about the campervan. There are different type of van that suit me and my wife. Any recommendation for me and my wife?

We are considering two models: 2 Berth - Venturer and Esprit 2 Berth Deluxe.
      Which one is suitable for us?

Thank for your advice! I am looking forward to hearing your reply......

more
    • Active 60 year olds staying in Queenstown vs. Wanaka,

Queenstown Nov 28, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Should Active 60 year olds stay in Queenstown vs. Wanaka,as our first stop after flying for a full day to get to New Zealand?

4 Answers Nov 29, 2016 at 1:41 AM
    • lesliench's Profile Photo

Rent a campervan

New Zealand Nov 22, 2016 at 7:40 AM

I will travel to new Zealand from 10/4/2017 to 16/4/2017. I am searching the information about the campervan. There are different type of van that suit me and my wife. Any recommendation for me and my wife?

We are considering two models: 2 Berth - Venturer and Esprit 2 Berth Deluxe.
      Which one is suitable for us?

Thank for your advice! I am looking forward to hearing your reply......

14 Answers Dec 8, 2016 at 12:01 AM
    • margsch's Profile Photo

Tour groups affected by earthquake

New Zealand Nov 15, 2016 at 3:44 AM

My sister and her husband flew to NZ on monday to join a coach tour of the South Island. They flew to Christchurch. I have sent her a text message and have not had a reply. I realise no coach tours have had injured passengers but would like to know what the plan is likely to be - if New Zealanders could let me know what the likely outcome will be I would appreciate it.

4 Answers Nov 15, 2016 at 7:56 AM
    • Milford sound ferry ride

New Zealand Oct 22, 2016 at 6:44 PM

Which is the best way to get to Milford sound from Auckland and back in 3 days

3 Answers Oct 23, 2016 at 9:00 PM
    • Which is best driving S from Nelson / Mapua area to Christchurch?

New Zealand Oct 17, 2016 at 8:29 AM

This is a question coming from someone who has experience driving on the right side of the road in a country without hairpin roads ( Canada), and will have driven several weeks on the North Island, and hopefully still around and with more experience by then.... After staying in the Mapua / Nelson we have 4 days left before taking the plane back home from Christchurch. We are planning to spend our last two nights in Christchurch. This leaves two nights for another visit. We want it to be enjoyable and not too stressful.
      The choices I can see are either to drive through Hanmer Springs and spend 2 nights there and from there drive straight to Christchurch. Or to drive from Mapua via Blenheim, Kaikoura to Akaroa and stay there for 2 nights, unless Mapua - Akaroa is too long a drive for one day ?
      I can see that Hanmer Springs in an elevated area, but can't tell if it is hilly vs mountainous?
      We would like to take the route with the most interesting sights as long as the drive is not a difficult / potentially dangerous one. Your help is greatly appreciated!

3 Answers Oct 22, 2016 at 9:04 PM
    • Need help choosing location of accommodation in Welland

New Zealand Oct 15, 2016 at 11:37 AM

We will be driving in from Martinborough to Wellington and stay over night in a place convenient to catch the ferry to Picton the next morning.
      As much as possible we would like to avoid driving through the city and congested areas. Yet be able to explore the city either by foot or by taking public transportation. I looked up the Travelodge hotel, seems to be central enough and close enough for the ferry, but have no idea about driving cond.
      Looking for advice...
      Thanks !

2 Answers Oct 17, 2016 at 8:03 AM
    • wrldtrvlr3341's Profile Photo

Birthday Celebration

New Zealand Oct 14, 2016 at 8:16 AM

I'll be in Auckland for 48 hours before sailing to Australia, Malaysia, Bali on 2/18/17. My birthday is 2/17 and I'd like to have a merry old time. Any suggestions?

4 Answers Oct 14, 2016 at 8:28 PM
    • hiring car or van in auckland

New Zealand Oct 7, 2016 at 5:54 PM

Hi, we're coming to NZ in November (first time visitors) and we want to hire a (budget!) campervan and travel around the north island. We've been told it's not economic to do that because you must stay in camping grounds when in the van. Would it be better to hire a car and stay in cheaper accommodation? Can anyone suggest and reliable and cheap car/van hire company? Any other suggestions also welcome. BTW we are an older couple.

4 Answers Oct 8, 2016 at 5:13 PM
    • How much time for Rotorua and Taupo?

Rotorua Oct 6, 2016 at 6:32 PM

After visiting Coromandel we have booked 4 nights in Rotorua, thinking to visit Taupo from there, return to Rotorua our " homebase" then continue on to the Hawke's Bay area, perhaps around Napier or Wairoa. But now I am re-thinking. Just booking one hotel for 4 nights makes it feel like home, but we would travel to Taupo, return to Rotorua, and then when driving to Hawke's Bay, travel through Taupo again... How much is there to see in and near Taupo, vs, in and near Rotorua ? Should we leave the reservation as it is, or change, and stay one or even 2 nights in Taupo ? This way we don't drive back and forth... Any recommendations?

5 Answers Oct 6, 2016 at 7:45 PM
    • North Island accommodations

New Zealand Sep 24, 2016 at 11:25 AM

Hi, we are a youngish couple in our sixties from the US and are planning a NZ trip ( Nov 1 -16). Would we need reservations at the towns around the island or can we wing it ? (Which is our preferred m.o.) We are planning to rent a car and see where the roads take us. Do I need to make reservations at any of the major attractions, like the caves ? And what is the best way to have phone and internet service ? Thanks in advance!

4 Answers Sep 25, 2016 at 10:50 AM
    • Help please with time allocation for North and South Island visit

New Zealand Sep 23, 2016 at 8:27 PM

We have 33 days available, want to see places without stressing out too much. Could members please give some feedback about the time allocation for each segment, and if driving times between the segments are doable ? Never having been there, it is hard to prioritize as to which areas to visit and which to ignore, and how much time to spend where. Flying into Auckland and departing from Christchurch.

2 days Auckland
      1 day travel to Bay of Islands
      5 days Bay of Islands, visit area between Kerikeri to Whangarei
      1 day travel to Coromandel area ( will this work time wise? )
      4 days visit area between Whitianga and Whangamata
      1 day travel to Roturua & Taupo area (or should we travel to Tauranga and make day trips from there to Roturua and Taupo ? )
      3 days visit Roturua & Taupo
      1 day travel to Hawke Bay area
      3 days visit Hawke Bay area, wineries etc.
      1 day travel to and overnight around Wellington
      1 day ferry cross over to South Island and head towards Tasman Bay area
      3 days visit area between Nelson and Takaka
      1 day travel to Blenheim area
      2 days visit from Blenheim to Kaikoura
      1 day travel to Banks Peninsula (to Akaroa ? Lyttleton ? )
      2 days Banks Peninsula
      1 day travel to a hotel near Christchurch airport for early morning departure

9 Answers Sep 29, 2016 at 5:55 PM
    • graphicscorpio's Profile Photo

How to divide time between Nelson, Wellington, Auckland?

New Zealand Sep 22, 2016 at 10:04 PM

We have 10 nights/10 days in January to divide up between Neslon, Wellington and Auckland? Would love any advice on how many nights to stay in each of these 3 towns assuming that we will arrive in each place in the early afternoon. (Starting in Neslon, then taking ferry to Wellington, then flying to Auckland. Because of the track we will be in Nelson first.)

We are an active couple, enjoy the outdoors (we will be doing the Abel Tasman track starting and finishing in Nelson), bike riding, swimming, hiking/walking. We enjoy art galleries, local art, wine tasting, coffee shops and soaking up the local culture. We are not planning on having a car in any of these places. To proceed with booking lodging we need to decide how long to stay in each of these places. We will have already been to Christchurch and Queenstown (Milford Track).

How many days/nights would you suggest we stay in each place?

Also any recommendations on what not to miss would be welcome.
      Thoughts...recommendations...what not to miss. Thank you!

3 Answers Sep 27, 2016 at 2:56 PM
    • Gap Year options

New Zealand Sep 18, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Hi. My name is Bobby.

I am a matriculant and dont know what to do next year.

I am keen on adventure and travel and would like to go overseas and work in some part of the adventure and outdoor industry. Any advice on where to get started?

3 Answers Sep 18, 2016 at 9:50 PM
    • MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

Suggestions for two week tour with 10yr old

New Zealand Sep 13, 2016 at 2:07 AM

Hi peeps!
      I Am visiting NZ and will be based in the outskirts of NW Auckland, as I am travelling with 10 yr old girl & I was wondering can you suggest something which 10 yr old can enjoy.
      Hobitton is on our list as is Ratarora, we going to have a car and I am not scared driving long distances but I would like to keep to the North Island. We are travelling in early April so thats Autmn down under.
      Any chance we can take swims or water will be too cold?
      Any info highly appricited.
      Many thanks

4 Answers Sep 13, 2016 at 9:24 AM
    • Best things to do

Coromandel Sep 11, 2016 at 11:17 PM

Hi, What is the best areas/destinations in the Coromandel Pensinsular for a couple of ex kiwis to drive to over Christmas period? Like running, bushwalking and fine cafes, local produce/crafts. Thanks. Joanne

3 Answers Sep 12, 2016 at 1:13 AM
    • price of ferry crossing and car rental

New Zealand Sep 1, 2016 at 8:36 PM

We are planning to rent a car for visiting both the North and the South island. I checked various car rental companies . Some such as apexrentals include the ferry crossing in their car rental price, most others don't. In order to have a fair comparison, I was trying to find out how much the ferry crossing for a car and the 2 of us would be. I find figures for car, and for passengers. A ferry ticked for a small car was quoted around $232.-, I believe this would be one way? But I could not find out if this will include our passage, or if we have to buy two tickets for each of us as well ?

Please help.

7 Answers Sep 4, 2016 at 5:31 PM
    • RTritz's Profile Photo

Itinerary for South Island New Zealand

New Zealand Aug 28, 2016 at 5:21 PM

We will be in the south island for 14 days in October. I have set up my itinerary but after reading a bit more am questioning if it is doable. Welcome any suggestions. I guess I should point out we are 66years old but in good health. 1. Wellington to Kaikoura by ferry and train 2. Whale watching tour and train to Christchurch 3 & 4 - sightseeing in or near Christchurch - we will get a rental car - Any suggestions on must sees? 5. Christchurch to Dunedin 6 & 7 - Dunedin to include golf and train ride 8. Dunedin to Queenstown by car 9, 10 & 11 - Queenstown - See Milford Sound and Doubtful Bay - Is it better to drive or take a tour coach? 12 & 13 Queenstown to Fox Glacier (overnight) to Greymouth and TransAlpine train to Christchurch - Should we drive to Greymouth or take InterCity bus and leave car in Queenstown? 14. Flight from Christchurch to Auckland. We leave for home (California, USA) the next evening. Thank you for any ideas or suggestions.

6 Answers Sep 1, 2016 at 2:49 PM
    • TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo

Anyone experienced DiscoverNewZealand travel company recently?

New Zealand Aug 20, 2016 at 9:54 PM

For someone flying in/out of Auckland in mid-late October and having 10-12 days to explore the north island, do you have a preferred trip company or personal experience with one? I'm doing initial research right now via VT and elsewhere..

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2 Answers Aug 21, 2016 at 10:25 PM
    • Queenstown-Mt Cook-Tekapo

New Zealand Aug 20, 2016 at 6:41 PM

I would like to take Tasman Glacier boat excursion on Mt Cook. I will leave from Queestown and end in Tekapo to meet other tour members. I have checked that bus from Queenstown will arrive at Mt Cook at 12:30 pm, so the earliest boat excursion I can join is the one starts at 2:00 pm. The tour lasts for 2.5 hours, but the local bus to Tekapo leaves at 4:00 pm, that means I will miss the local bus. Does anyone know if there are any local tours from either Queenstown or Tekapo that will take me to Mt Cook with staying time long enough for me to join boat excursion and go back to Tekapo on the same day? Is there any transportation other than Cook Connection bus that will take me to Tekapo? What other options do I have?

In the event that a boat excursion is not possible on the same day, what else can I do on Mt Cook other than taking ski plane? Will I still be able to see the icebergs if not taking the boat? I will be travelling with my 75 year old mum. Will I still be able to see the icebergs if not taking the boat?

4 Answers Aug 22, 2016 at 2:06 AM
    • Hire car restrictions in South Island (eg. gravel roads, Tasman Valley Road @ Mt Cook)

New Zealand Aug 18, 2016 at 6:09 PM

A number of car hire companies restrict travel on gravel roads & particular roads including Tasman Valley Road @ Mt Cook. Any suggestions of those with less restrictions? We'd really like to do the walk at Tasman Valley which relies on driving on Tasman Valley Road and also a number of gravel roads into attractions in the Catlins/Owaka area (eg. Nugget Point).

9 Answers Sep 3, 2016 at 5:02 AM
    • 3 weeks stay, need advise please

New Zealand Aug 15, 2016 at 7:47 AM

Hi, I will appreciate all your advise please.

period of stay = 18 nov, 9 dec

about me = 36 y.o., travelling alone, backpackers style (hostel, couchsurfing...), I will rent a cheap car (omegacar rental ? the cheapest I found for the south island from nelson to christchurch), I love sports,.. ready everymorning from 8 or 9am and sleep not late in order to enjoy a maximum

My itinerary =

North Island
      day 1 / arrival auckland 12h05.... stay in auckland
      day 2 / drive to tongariro park
      day 3 / tongariro alpine crossing 8 hrs (sleep in tongariro)
      day 4 / rotorua
      day 5 / afternoon, drive to coromandel peninsula (+stop at matamata for LOTR? I am not a big fan but it's an option)
      day 6 / coromandel peninsula
      day 7 / back to auckland and flight to nelson + drive in abel tasman area

South Island
      day 8 / abel tasman
      day 9 / abel tasman
      day 10 / drive to punakaiki or hokitika
      day 11 / drive to franz joseph area
      day 12 / drive to wanaka
      day 13 / wanaka
      day 14 / drive to te anau
      day 15 / kepler track, trek
      day 16 / kepler track, trek
      day 17 / kepler track, trek, drive to queenstown
      day 18 / queenstown
      day 19 / drive to aoraki (in which city to find hostel because there is not a lot of choice in aoraki ?)
      day 20 / drive to christchurch
      day 21 / flight to auckland, visit the city
      day 22 / flight back to Europe at 14h05

2 Answers Aug 16, 2016 at 7:10 AM
    • 1 month in the Northland Feb 2017

New Zealand Aug 13, 2016 at 1:53 PM

My husband and I are planning to spend 1 month in New Zealand to get a break from the Canadian winter. This will replace our balmy winter holidays in warm places such as Costa Rica, Aruba etc. As New Zealand is so big, we are thinking to spend time in the warmer parts of New Zealand - the Northland- where we will also have some opportunity for beach time and swimming. We are on a budget and are hoping to find perhaps two one week assignments as house sitters in different locations, and spend the rest of the time travelling. Ideally I would like to arrange for two to three different home bases in nice areas ( one near a beach for swimming) were we can just hang out and can do local sightseeing as well as do day trips etc. Driving in a foreign country can be stressful, we don't want to do it on a daily basis. Perhaps rent a car for a week, stay put for the rest or do bus excursions.

Can some people please suggest nice areas that are either just enjoyable in themselves, or would lend themselves as a base from which to tour a bit? We are not interested in big city adventures ( we live in a big city). We are interested in nature, natural wonders, local culture and cuisine.

If by chance someone has experience with a particular house sitting website, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance!

7 Answers Aug 15, 2016 at 8:25 PM
    • Buying Supplements in NZ

New Zealand Aug 10, 2016 at 2:06 AM

I have bought supplements at discounted prices at Chemist Warehouse when visiting Australia. Can someone advise if there is a Chemist Warehouse in New Zealand? Or where can I get supplements at discounted prices in Auckland or Wellington or Christchurch? Thanx.

10 Answers Aug 16, 2016 at 12:31 AM
    • Driving using Waze and Device for Mobile Phones & IPad

New Zealand Aug 1, 2016 at 2:21 AM

Hi, can anyone tell me if Waze is popular in NZ for driving from North Island to South Island? I was thinking of relying on Waze versus a GPS.

Another matter is that I am looking to rent a device that allows four /five devices to be logged on at the same time?
      Which provides better coverage - 2degree or vodafone? Or are there other telcos?

3 Answers Aug 1, 2016 at 5:37 AM
    • South Island

New Zealand Jul 31, 2016 at 6:30 AM

Hi everyone
      I am just after some advice on my itinerary do you think it is to rushed anywhere am I missing anything super important and do you think the number of days in each place is okay?

We arrive in Christchurch mid Oct and fly out 14 days later

Day 1 arrive Christchurch stay 1 night
      Day 2 Pick up motorhome head to hammer springs stay overnight
      Day 3 Kaikoura possibly swim with seals
      Day 4 Blenheim (wine tout)
      Day 5 greymouth
      Day 6 greymouth (glow worm tubbing experience)

2 Answers Jul 31, 2016 at 8:04 AM
    • BEST RENTAL CAR COMPANY??

New Zealand Jul 30, 2016 at 8:55 PM

I am looking for a great mode of transport to get around. I'm not into car sharing because I like to have freedom and go or stop when and where I like on the way to places. What is the best car rental company to deal with at a great rate.

6 Answers Jul 31, 2016 at 8:35 PM
    • Transportation by bus/train

New Zealand Jul 28, 2016 at 8:33 AM

I will be taking northern explorer from Wellington to Auckland will reach Auckland at about 6:45pm (ngaoho place, the strand, auckland central).. is there any bus from there going to CBD area? any backpacker hotel recommendations? and how far the CBD area from Auckland Airport?.. and from CBD area going to Hobbiton how many hours by bus/train? would really appreciate any help as i will be travelling alone. thanks

3 Answers Jul 28, 2016 at 3:48 PM
    • A Bit Here & There

New Zealand Jul 27, 2016 at 1:16 AM

We are a party of four who will be arriving into Auckland on 22 Nov late afternoon. As our hotel is off Queen Street, can someone please advise if it is worth my while to catch a bus to Parnell rose garden or Ponsonby or just stick around the CBD? We will spend the whole of next day in Auckland. Any recommendations? We do not want to do Kelly Tarlton or museums. I am the only one in the party who has been to North Island and I remember from my trip in 2007 visiting One Tree Hill. Is it worth going, seeing that the One Tree has been removed?
      Having read numerous forums suggesting a ferry ride to neighbouring islands/bays, can someone recommend one to us for a half-day visit? We will need to be back to Auckland by 4:00pm as we have to pick up our rental car. We are thinking of grabbing a bite from the Auckland Fish market. Are there fresh oysters there? I have read that it is not as big a set-up as Sydney's Fish market though. I welcome any recommendations on cheap eats.

We will be headed to Hamilton for a short visit at the Hamilton Gardens guided tour the next morning. Can someone recommend any cheap eats along the way from Hamilton to Waitomo Caves? We are booked for a 4:00pm visit to Waitomo Caves.

Any cheap eats recommendation for Matamata is also welcome after our tour of Hobbiton the following day.
      Apart from one night dining at Tamaki, I am seeking recommendations for cheap eats at Rotorua too.
      As we are after a lunch venue at Taupo, can someone recommend a place to go for trout for lunch? I need something fast as we are driving through Taupo to Huka Falls and going on to Napier.
      Which winery restaurant should we visit? I am looking for a dining venue that offers good food and nice view of the vineyard.
      I have read that Wellington is a craft beer city so is Grill Meats Beer worth a visit? any recommendations for a dining venue that serves craft beer and food (burgers, pastas and pizzas would be good.)
      We plan to stop over for lunch at one of the vineyards at Blenheim. Any recommendation on a winery?
      We plan to visit Nin's Bin at Kaikoura. As we are going to be overnight at Kaikoura, any other recommendation is most welcome.
      We would like to visit Fergburger in Queenstown. As we do not take beef, do they serve other meats?
      What else is worth visiting for dining in Queenstown as we have three nights there? We are doing a dinner cruise one night onboard TSS Earnslaw.
      What about dining in Christchurch? Any recommendations?
      Any recommendations for dining in Cromwall? We are doing a 7 hour drive from Christchurch direct to Queenstown? Where is a good place to stop for meals (lunch)?
      Any recommendations for Franz Josef?

On another note, how do I get hold of the Virtual Tourist flag? I would like to have one in my photo.
      Am planning a tandem skydive in Queenstown and Heli Ice Hike in Franz Josef.
      And a ride on the Tranz Alpine.

Thanx in advance.

7 Answers Jul 28, 2016 at 2:20 AM
    • Need to rent a car in Auckland

Auckland Jul 23, 2016 at 8:44 AM

We'll be in Auckland for 2 - 3 nights, and want to see the city sights and visit Waiheke Island. Should we rent a car in Auckland?

1 Answer Jul 23, 2016 at 2:28 PM
    • Itinerary Help

New Zealand Jul 22, 2016 at 4:49 AM

Hey Guys,

We are planning to travel NZ (South Island) in early December with our 8 year old daughter. Could you pls let me know what you think about this Itinerary ?

28-Nov-16 Christchurch (Reaching CHR in the morninng and planning to spend the day wondering arounthe city)
      29-Nov-16 Hokitika (Leave early morning and drive through Arthers, Punakaki, and reach Hokitika)
      30-Nov-16 Fox Glacier / Franz Josef (Spend the day visiting Glaciers / Walks)
      1-Dec-16 Wanaka (Visit Lake Matherson and go to Wanaka)
      2-Dec-16 Wanaka (Spend the day around Wanaka and Rafting)
      3-Dec-16 Queenstown (Relax, City and Gondola and Dinner
      4-Dec-16 Queenstown (One of Jet Boarting / Ziplining or Visit Arrowtown)
      5-Dec-16 Te Anau (Relax and something around reach Glowworm Cave tour in the evening)
      6-Dec-16 Milford Sound (Drive to Milford for overnight cruise)
      7-Dec-16 Te Anau (Spend the day relaxing)
      8-Dec-16 Tekapo (reach Tekapo in the evening)
      9-Dec-16 Tekapo (Walks arounf the area)
      10-Dec-16 Mount Cook (Visit Hooker Vally Track)
      11-Dec-16 Christchurch (Reach CHR and depart next day night)

Can you please share your thoughts on this.

Should I have to move things around? Is this doable?

Thanks

Asanka & Vishwa

9 Answers Jul 27, 2016 at 5:08 PM