VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Travel Answers
New York City

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo

subway access

by Dymphna1 Online Now Feb 3, 2017 at 7:55 AM

Is it easier to catch the subway from John F Kennedy or LGA? thanks (typed out JFK for enough words to get it in the system.

more
    • Dymphna1's Profile Photo

subway access

by Dymphna1 Online Now Feb 3, 2017 at 7:55 AM

Is it easier to catch the subway from John F Kennedy or LGA? thanks (typed out JFK for enough words to get it in the system.

4 Answers Feb 4, 2017 at 11:57 AM
    • airtrain and E line subway at rush hour

by sp1988 Online Now Jan 2, 2017 at 8:06 AM

Our flight from London will arrive into JFK at 4pm. I'm assuming clearing immigration/customs/collecting bags etc will take about an hour or so, meaning we will be trying to leave the airport at rush hour. Our hotel is on 42nd street and only 2 mins walk from Port authority bus station on 42nd so I was planning on getting the airtrain to Jamaica and then getting on the E line subway to 42nd street. Does this sound like a bad idea at rush hour as we will also be travelling with suitcases? There's only 2 of us and I don't want to spend a fortune on transfers, and i'm also aware that the shared transfer vans (go airlink etc) don't have a good reputation, which is why i'm leaning more towards the airtrain/subway at the moment.

Any advice would be appreciated :-)

8 Answers Jan 8, 2017 at 12:09 PM
    • paddington28's Profile Photo

Helicopter flights

by paddington28 Online Now Jan 2, 2017 at 7:50 AM

Looking at different deals for helicopter flights,am i better of booking in advancing,or do you think i can organise while i am there? Does anyone have any recomendations as well? Many thanks

5 Answers Jan 3, 2017 at 2:53 AM

Photography

by paddington28 Online Now Jan 2, 2017 at 12:44 AM

As a keen photographer,i will be taking my big camera to New york in April.
      Just a few question,i wanted to get a photo looking towards the city at night, 1st place i had on my mind was brooklyn Bridge,looking towards the lights,if i went on there at night,is brooklyn bridge just as busy as the day time? as i would need my tripod,also from last time i remember there was a very very small park underneath the bridge,which i would also imagine give good photos looking across the water in to New York. Any ideas what the name of this park would be called? Many thanks.

14 Answers Jan 5, 2017 at 11:28 AM
    • effazainal's Profile Photo

Deciding between New York & London

by effazainal Online Now Dec 28, 2016 at 6:53 PM

Good day Vters,
      I need suggestions on deciding between New York & Europe( London,Berlin,Amsterdam & Paris) for my honeymoon.
      We are planning a honeymoon on a budget to challenge ourselves (me especially) by settling for "a lil less luxury" than our norm holidays 

Looking to travel: late January
      Duration: approx 10days
      About us: Newly wed couple looking for adventure at a budget.
      Asian Muslims, loves art,design & fashion.

We have never been to New York City and would love to explore but I am alil concern about the safety of being a Muslim , wearing a headscarf after the recent "scare" . I do read about how amazing NYC is and Muslims are pretty well getting by. Would appreciate honest advice from Newyorkers or travelers whom have just return from their trip to New York 

Questions:

1) Where are the places that I can easily get halal food and where are the recommended accommodations?
      We are open to Airbnb , cool hostels with private room or 2-4* hotels.
      2)What are the form of transportations that we can get by for travelers? Any discounts cards or etc?
      3) where are the places we should check out to make our New York trip unforgettable? we are fine with touristy attractions but more willing to explore like locals☺️
      4) any freelance tour guide who shared similar interest in art,fashion & music to bring us around?
      5) recommended free art n fashion galleries ? Or free fashion shows?
      6) shopping outlets for sample sales and to grab cheap souvenirs for our loved ones?
      7) will it be viable for us to make a quick trip to maybe LA or San Fran within the days?
      8) lastly, any recommended budget airline or any form of transportation that we can take to either LA or San Franc for a quick trip?

Thank you so much!

19 Answers Jan 3, 2017 at 8:42 PM
    • Keslauren's Profile Photo

Where to go for Christmas in New England or New York.

by Keslauren Online Now Dec 26, 2016 at 12:16 PM

I'm looking at traveling to the US with my husband and 12 year old son next year around Christmas. Living in a warm climate, we wanted to experience a snowy Christmas with that traditional feel. We are not skiers but my son would love some snow type activities, skate on a lake and sled, toboggan, etc. We are looking at flying into NYC for a could of days and then driving either up through New England or New York for a few days. I'd love some suggestions of the best places to go to ensure my son is not bored but husband and I get to see some beautiful quaint Christmas towns. Plus also , the best place to stay on Christmas Eve and day (where there is snow around)? Thanks so much, this will most likely be a once in a lifetime trip for us.

11 Answers Dec 31, 2016 at 4:30 PM
    • 2 Questions re TKTS Times Square

by MapleMoose Online Now Dec 13, 2016 at 4:57 PM

We want to go to a Broadway production while in NY but have no specific one in mind. I have read that after 5:30 pm. the lines at TKTS are very short as everyone comes early for obvious reasons. My question is, if we wait and go later, what kind of selection will we have? Are there still many shows available normally? Assume a Friday night. Also, when in London we found that at the Leicester Square equivalent of TKTS that we were able to get deals on seats in the first couple of rows because they are actually "too close" with a bad viewing angle, at least in the old theatres. Has anyone had enough experience with NY TKTS to know if the same may apply? Thank you.

4 Answers Dec 16, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Ice hockey

by paddington28 Online Now Dec 11, 2016 at 6:29 PM

When in New york,trying desperatley to find a ice hockey game,i'm there from the 11th April to the 15th, the only date i can see the ice hockey fixture goes up to is 9th April,am i heading to New york out of ice hockey season,many thanks,
      Paddington

6 Answers Dec 14, 2016 at 11:14 AM
    • BEST MARKETS

by packtarl Online Now Dec 5, 2016 at 11:20 AM

I will be in New York dec 22nd to 29th. Which are the best markets to visit. Im not bothered about xmas markets particularly as ive been to Bryant park and Colombus Square before. Im more interested in ordinary antique/ flea markets etc. Thanks.

4 Answers Dec 14, 2016 at 11:17 AM
    • WHERE TO VISIT IN NEW JERSEY

by packtarl Online Now Dec 5, 2016 at 11:13 AM

HI. I will be visiting New York dec 22nd to 29th and would like to have a day/ half day in New Jersey. My question is which is the best place to go. Just want to have a walk around, do a bit of shopping and have a meal. Also how do you recommend I get there? Don't mind taking the bus or boat but which is the most practical? Thanks.

6 Answers Dec 14, 2016 at 11:20 AM

Romantic resturaunt

by paddington28 Online Now Dec 3, 2016 at 6:42 AM

Hi everyone,

Looking for a nice resturaunt in NYC, looking for a nice art deco style one,or,was thinking of have having a meal in the empire state building,(hoping with a view) but no matter where i have searched,i have not found a sight which tells me what floor it is on,hoping for a high up floor. Not going till march,so plenty of time for research.

Many thanks,
      Paddington

7 Answers Dec 14, 2016 at 11:23 AM
    • Hotel recommodation

by gioraeytan Online Now Nov 26, 2016 at 1:26 AM

I am looking for a hotel in new york.
      Places: Up town west (60 - 85), down town (35 and down)
      Budget: around $400 including tax.

Thanks.

11 Answers Dec 8, 2016 at 10:07 AM
    • Where to sit on the tribune on a NY Rangers game Maddison 3rd of December

by CatSom Online Now Nov 23, 2016 at 1:00 AM

Hi,
      Never been to a hockey game before and wonder where to sit on the tribune? want to sit on the side where you support NY Rangers :) or will the audience be mixed all over the tribune independent of which team they are cheering for?

2 Answers Nov 23, 2016 at 9:19 AM
    • Traveling to NYC for the first time.

by TexasForever Online Now Nov 10, 2016 at 10:04 AM

This is all an impromptu trip for me (I fly out tomorrow). But I am wondering what are some of the must do's that I can fit into a weekend? I'm not really trying to go to the ESB or the Statue of Liberty; I'm more wanting to catch a pick up game at Rucker Park and visit the MoMA, things with more culture and where I can meet people and interact. I'd love to see SNL if at all possible though. I am a 25 year old man, if that helps any, lol. Any suggestions are extremely welcomed. Cheers!

6 Answers Nov 10, 2016 at 1:52 PM

horse and carridge ride around central park

by paddington28 Online Now Nov 9, 2016 at 7:09 AM

Hi there everyone.

Off to the big apple in April,this will be the 3rd time i have visited New York,so i have visited everything i want to see,but this will be my girlfriends 1st time.
      One of the things on her list to do is,horse and carridge around central park,So a couple of questions.

1: Do they go around the whole park,or is there an option only to do some of it.
      2: roughly how long does it take for the trip.
      3: probably sounds like a daft question,but are the horses generally treated well?

Many thanks,
      Ben

9 Answers Nov 9, 2016 at 5:28 PM
    • New Years Eve

by Torz1008 Online Now Oct 11, 2016 at 2:21 PM

Hi all,

My husband and I (both 27) will be in New York for new year and as everyone else seems to we are struggling with what to do. I literally refuse to go anywhere near time square but would still like a bar/lounge/party to go to. I've read the Chelsea area is the place to be? Has anyone got any suggestions please? Is it best to eat late afternoon? Thanks :-)

3 Answers Oct 17, 2016 at 7:48 AM
    • What to wear

by Mwins83065 Online Now Oct 8, 2016 at 8:10 AM

My BFF and I will be in NYC from 10/15 thru 10/22. What clothes do I take for all the sightseeing we Erik be doing. I've got my Skecher shoes but what about clothing, sweaters, jacket, coat, gloves, etc.?

11 Answers Oct 11, 2016 at 9:13 AM
    • 911 Memorial Protocol

by MapleMoose Online Now Sep 20, 2016 at 2:51 PM

I have been to the 911 Memorial before the museum opened. I am wondering what the process is these days. If I have a museum ticket marked 10 a.m. for example, and want to spend a bit of time at the Memorial what are my options? Is the security line still before the memorial? Is there a separate entrance to the museum with its own security line? How much time do I need as a buffer for a Friday morning? Just trying to find out where I go first and how much time to allow. I can't find it on the museum website.

8 Answers Sep 29, 2016 at 7:48 PM
    • Can i leave the airport during transit in NY,USA with a transit Visa

by JayP60 Online Now Sep 19, 2016 at 3:28 AM

Can any one help, I'm heading to Columbia from Russia, And i have my transit in NYC can i leave the airport for a look around, Like y'all know NYC is a flashy please who wouldn't want to take a look around , Please i need answers.

5 Answers Sep 19, 2016 at 11:59 AM
    • Shopping Outlets

by 88kazza88 Online Now Sep 16, 2016 at 6:16 AM

Hi,

What is the Best Shopping Outlet to visit? Went to Woodbury Common last Year but been looking at Jersey Gardens this Year? Which ones better or is there anymore? We're going the Day after Black Friday for 6 Days.

Thanks

4 Answers Oct 3, 2016 at 4:04 AM
    • Rooftop Brunch or Café for 19th birthday?

by thereallife Online Now Sep 6, 2016 at 8:11 PM

Hi,

I plan to celebrate my 19th birthday in the city on a rooftop cafe or brunch.
      But I just find rooftop bars etc. where alcohol is served so we are not allowed to enter.
      Do you know a place, which is ok for us to enter? We do not plan to drink.

Thank you!

2 Answers Sep 7, 2016 at 6:40 AM
    • asli90's Profile Photo

Need Suggestions for Visiting Newyork city

by asli90 Online Now Sep 2, 2016 at 4:44 AM

Hi I am visiting NYC in the last week of this month for about two weeks.

I need some suggestions as a solo traveler from VT members,
      (1) I checked my provider to get me mobile roaming service for during my stay in NYC, but its really pricey.
      How & where to get local sim cards in NYC (something like visitors sim card) with internet service. what are the prices and charges?

(2) While my stay in NYC I am also planning to visit either Washington DC or Chicago for 3 days, should I book my tickets in advance right now itself or I can easily book once I am there (by air or train) what are average prices for tickets?

(3) I am planning to book my stay near to Times Square but I found the hotels are pricey whereas I am getting good deals at airbnb.com, has anyone stayed at a place booked through this website? is it genuine and safe?

Thanks everyone in advance and appreciate your responses.

8 Answers Sep 4, 2016 at 7:17 PM
    • Cheap Designer shoes

by Dynodave Online Now Aug 31, 2016 at 1:12 AM

Hi

Flying over from UK with 17 year old daughter in October. She wants to go Shoe shopping! Can anyone recommend best discount stores for designer shoes (Jimmy Choo's etc). Pref in New York or surrounding boroughs?

Thanks

3 Answers Aug 31, 2016 at 10:56 AM
    • New york trip suggestion

by Mags10 Online Now Aug 30, 2016 at 8:03 AM

Hi Planning a 10 day trip with 18yr old daughter next April. Planning on going to 6 flags. A few questions.
      1. Wud you need two days to do 6 flags ? If so suggestions on hotels beside it.
      2. We have been to nyc before but would like to travel around a bit as in 3 nights Manhattan can you suggest other neighbouring cities to visit.
      Thanks in advance. 

5 Answers Oct 5, 2016 at 3:31 AM
    • aortser's Profile Photo

Budget accommodation in Midtown East at New York for one month

by aortser Online Now Aug 29, 2016 at 11:02 PM

Hi,

Does anybody know of any accommodation (not shared bedroom) in Midtown East for the whole month of September 2016

for maximum USD 3,000 besides the ones that can be found at booking.com, tripadvisor.com and airbnb.com?

Thanks

2 Answers Aug 30, 2016 at 11:09 PM
    • Newark to Bronx?

by Krisvalencia08 Online Now Aug 23, 2016 at 1:36 PM

Hello, I'm traveling to NYC in a week and had a question. I've never been to NYC and just realized that I land in Newark Interantional airport Friday at 11am and need to get to my hotel in the Bronx. I had a couple questions. Is there a train that'll take me from Newark airport to the Bronx? I know I can take a taxi or uber but I'm trying to see the costs. Thanks guys.

8 Answers Aug 23, 2016 at 5:51 PM
    • asli90's Profile Photo

Solo Male traveller to US in September

by asli90 Online Now Aug 23, 2016 at 5:05 AM

Hi Guys,

I am travelling for a 10 days vacation to US by the end of this September. I will be travelling first time to the states and I have no idea where to go and which city to visit. I am willing to stay at a reasonable hotel as I wish to spend my maximum time outing & come to hotel only to sleep. My plan includes visiting famous monuments or places / watching movies / some museums / having good massages / enjoy some good night life without restrictions. I wont be using a car so I plan to walk maximum and use public transport when necessary.

I have been studying over google but I am confused between LA/LAS VEGAS/NYC/California.

Can members over here help me decide over above places or suggest some good city to visit as per my requirements, Basically I am Looking for a reasonable place where thing are cheap and not too pricey.

Also can you advise if I could get a visitor sim card with internet in the city or at the airport and what are the charges for it? Or should l I get a roaming service from my provider?

Thanks in advance

14 Answers Aug 24, 2016 at 2:29 AM
    • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Restaurant near 54th & 6th

by Donna_in_India Online Now Aug 22, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Looking for a recommendation for a restaurant for dinner with clients on Wednesday. Looking for someplace a bit quiet and not packed/rushing with the theater crowd. They will be at the Hilton (54th & 6th) so something near by would be great. Prefer "neutral" food - American, Italian? Thanks!

2 Answers Aug 23, 2016 at 7:04 PM
    • GUYON's Profile Photo

Zoo of BRONX

by GUYON Online Now Aug 20, 2016 at 5:21 AM

Hello

The website is not very precise about the way to reach the zoo.

We foresee to go to the zoo by line 2 (red). What is the station on this line which is the nearest from the main entrance or of an easy entrance ?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

RAY

9 Answers Aug 23, 2016 at 7:46 AM
    • Broadway Show Recommendations

by jfogz Online Now Aug 15, 2016 at 9:05 PM

I will be travelling with my boyfriend to New York in January 2017 and we would like to see a Broadway show while we are there. The only recommendations I can find online are for shows which finish by the end of December. We saw Book of Mormon the last time we were in NY and loved it. Can anyone recommend any shows which will be running in January?

6 Answers Aug 16, 2016 at 3:49 PM