VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

New Delhi Travel Answers

change location

domestic airport t1 departures congestion

by margaretc40 Online Now Nov 7, 2016 at 5:04 PM

A local says get there four hours before takeoff, with long check-in lines and 1km length for security check. I wonder what VTs have experienced there.

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • aletaj.'s Profile Photo

Re: domestic airport t1 departures congestion

by aletaj. Online Now Nov 7, 2016 at 5:33 PM

I don't think it is as bad as you may think.. Go early and have your documents in order..
    Best of luck.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: domestic airport t1 departures congestion

by margaretc40 Online Now Nov 7, 2016 at 5:42 PM

Thanks for your prompt reassurance. I'll set the alarm that morning!

Margaret

Be the first to rate this answer!

• DSwede's Profile Photo

by DSwede Online Now Nov 8, 2016 at 3:21 AM

I've had the luck that getting there more than two hours in advance, I just had to twiddle my thumbs for a while since they would not open for check-in before 2hrs.

I don't think the airport processing (check-in, security, immigration) was outside the norm of any other large international airport.

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

by travelmad478 Online Now Nov 8, 2016 at 7:48 AM

Four hours is insane. For one thing, Indian airports don't allow you to check in until 3 hours before flight time. About 7-8 years ago, Delhi check-in was very problematic during the construction of the new international terminal, but that situation cleared up when the terminal opened up. If you are flying coach on a domestic flight, I would go 2 hours in advance, definitely not more.  I generally arrive at the airport an hour before flight time, but I don't check bags and generally fly in business class (plus I am familiar with the airport layout).

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Nov 8, 2016 at 8:31 AM

The biggest variable I've run into in catching a flight out of that airport is the drive time to get there. That can be highly variable, especially during busy times of the day. Coming in at mid-day (heading in from Connaught Place) during a weekday took close to 2 hours and doing the same on a Sunday night took closer to 45 minutes.

There was a bit of a delay at the car pre-screening to enter the airport grounds and it the lineup to get through the security check to enter the terminal building took about 10 minutes, but once inside things moved fairly quickly.

• anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Nov 10, 2016 at 5:44 AM

Like VTer, GrumpyDiver, has mentioned, the traffic in Delhi is insane. Rush-hour (0900-1030 hrs; 1630-2100 hrs) can be very bad on weekdays owing to the Gurgaon traffic nearabouts the airport (T-1 as well as T-3).

I normally start from home (South Delhi) 3 hrs ahead of the scheduled departure for T-1 and 3.5 hrs for T-3.

There is a new checkin counter at the Shivaji Metro Station. Here's the link:

delhimetrorail.com/press_rel...

• Re: domestic airport t1 departures congestion

by margaretc40 Online Now Nov 10, 2016 at 4:41 PM

anilpradhanshillong wrote:

Like VTer, GrumpyDiver, has mentioned, the traffic in Delhi is insane. Rush-hour (0900-1030 hrs; 1630-2100 hrs) can be very bad on weekdays owing to the Gurgaon traffic nearabouts the airport (T-1 as well as T-3).

I normally start from home (South Delhi) 3 hrs ahead of the scheduled departure for T-1 and 3.5 hrs for T-3.

There is a new checkin counter at the Shivaji Metro Station. Here's the link:

delhimetrorail.com/press_rel...

Thanks, Anil.  I'll be coming from the Four Points Sheraton (Airport Highway). Do you think this route might have its own traffic jam problems? This will be a Monday 10am flight - busiest part of the week eh!?

• anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Nov 10, 2016 at 10:53 PM

It will be a 5 kms ride from your hotel to T-1. Luckily, you will be travelling against the traffic, that is, on a Monday morning, all employees from Delhi will be travelling to Gurgaon while you will be in the opposite lane travelling to T-1. Besides, for a 10 am flight, I'm sure you would like to check out by 8:00 am latest?

Best Wishes!

• husain's Profile Photo

by husain Online Now Nov 29, 2016 at 6:13 PM

Terminal 1 is a bit congested, especially in the morning hours. Two hours ahead of flight time might be ok though, maybe 2.5 at most.
    It eases upa bit by noon though, usually.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near New Delhi