VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Travel Answers
New Caledonia

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• KoalaB's Profile Photo

New Caledonia

Île des Pins Oct 29, 2016 at 6:59 PM

I'd like to hear from anyone who's holidayed in New Caledonia - especially if you're from Australia. We're looking for somewhere to celebrate my birthday in July next year and want to go somewhere where it's a relatively short (3-4 hour) flight from Sydney, even though we live in Adelaide. Somewhere on a beach (not rocky) would be really great.

1 Answer Oct 31, 2016 at 4:11 AM
    • ViVerra's Profile Photo

Single day horse riding.

New Caledonia Sep 28, 2016 at 10:33 PM

I will have a free day at the end of my tour in October. Can anyone suggest a stable/ranch which serves single riders? I can find some offers for groups of 2-4 riders, but I am alone this time.

• pilgrum's Profile Photo

going to lifou

Lifou Jun 24, 2016 at 7:41 PM

hi could you please tell me were in lifou is the best place to snorkel I would like to see turtles and other sea life thank you

2 Answers Jun 25, 2016 at 1:21 AM
    • Quick and cost effective transport

Nouméa Jun 16, 2016 at 12:51 AM

What is the best way for 2 to get from Int. Airport to Le Lagon Hotel

1 Answer Jun 16, 2016 at 10:26 AM
    • currency cruise ship stops

New Caledonia Jun 6, 2016 at 6:00 AM

Noumea,isle of pines,life ,mare

I know I need Caledonia francs for public transport but if in local cafes and restaurants would Australian Dollars normally be accepted

Thanks Geoff

• Day in Noumea

Nouméa Jun 1, 2016 at 9:01 PM

Hi, My Husband and I are going to be in Noumea later this year Oct/Nov. We were thinking about having a private tour and who would be the best/most reliable company to take us around. Also an aprox price as to how much it would cost us.
      Thanks in advance :-)

• Where to stay in New Caledonia

New Caledonia Apr 17, 2016 at 3:16 AM

Spending 2.5 weeks In September. Where should we visit - would like two locations with snorkelling options and smaller accommodation on the beach

1 Answer Apr 17, 2016 at 3:09 PM
    • restaurant open on sunday in noumea

Nouméa Mar 2, 2016 at 9:13 PM

Hi We are travelling to Noumea by Cruise ship on a Sunday and are looking to find a nice restaurant that serves lunch with a glass of wine as it will be mothers day for 15 adults and 3 children that is not too pricey perhaps a buffet.

2 Answers Mar 3, 2016 at 1:28 AM
    • jmaaac's Profile Photo

Safety and Driving in La Foa

La Foa Feb 22, 2016 at 5:18 PM

Hello,
      How safe is it in La Foa and what are the roads like between La Foa & Nakety?

2 Answers Apr 18, 2016 at 5:04 PM
    • pn1's Profile Photo

Noumea public transport

Nouméa Dec 24, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Wherever possible, when visiting I like to take a ride on local public transport to see a little of the area "with the locals".

I have a one day cruise ship stop in Noumea coming up and wondered how feasible it might be for a "do it yourself" tour on public transport, ideally a round trip out one way and back another.

Any tips or suggestions would be most appreciated.

3 Answers Feb 6, 2016 at 4:08 AM
    • Noumea travel

New Caledonia Aug 28, 2015 at 12:29 AM

Q1 I know that the local currency is CFP but a couple of quotes I've had have been in Euros. Should I bring (from Australia) bring some Euros, some CFP and some Australian dollars?

Q2 we arrive late (11.40) on a Sunday night. Should I book a transfer before we leave? Any suggestions or will taxi be my our only option at that time? If taxi, do I still need to book?

Many thanks

3 Answers Aug 29, 2015 at 1:57 AM
    • Activities on Lifou

Lifou Aug 18, 2015 at 1:28 AM

Are there plenty of things to see and do if you are with people of limited ability. I will be with an 83 year old and a man with emphysema so hoping that not everything is long walks and swimming

2 Answers Aug 18, 2015 at 5:42 PM
    • Duty free shopping

Nouméa Aug 15, 2015 at 12:18 AM

Duty free shopping from cruising

4 Answers Aug 16, 2015 at 3:41 PM
    • vicki_richards's Profile Photo

Statue of Mary

Nouméa Jun 28, 2015 at 1:56 AM

Why don't any of the local tours go to Notre dame du pacifique any more?
      That was the highlight of my first cruise to noumea...
      Now no one even mentions it, yet alone show photos of her

• Almonds's Profile Photo

Pacific Pearl

Nouméa Jun 14, 2015 at 7:53 PM

Has anyone been on a cruise to Noumea on the Pacific Peal and do you have any tips

3 Answers Jun 15, 2015 at 12:20 AM
    • Goldygolfer's Profile Photo

Place de Cocotiers - events

Nouméa May 2, 2015 at 7:06 PM

Apparently on the first Sunday of each month there is an event in the square. I would really appreciate if someone could advise what it is and when would be the best time to visit. Merci.

3 Answers May 2, 2015 at 9:32 PM
    • Living/Working In New Caledonia

New Caledonia Apr 22, 2015 at 3:20 AM

Hi there I'm a recent UK graduate looking to spend a year abroad and improve my French working in New Caledonia. Can anyone help me out with information on the cost of living/rent and how difficult it would be to find work once over there?
      Even if you could recommend some useful websites for information that would be a huge help!

1 Answer Apr 22, 2015 at 5:36 AM
    • dyah.ES's Profile Photo

Place to stay at Isle de Pines

New Caledonia Feb 4, 2015 at 3:16 PM

I have been browsing about isle de pines and so far I only found some luxury hotels to stay ( which of course expensive)
      Is anyone know if there is any "normal" hotel to stay?
      I saw huts in Camping Atchu, try to find how the inside huts looks like but no more information or pictures about it. It could be quite a nice option to stay in traditional huts.
      Appreciate if anyone can share with me. I am not into camping (tent) , by the way
      Thank you

• Sporting grounds/ovals in Noumea

Nouméa Dec 17, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Hi, I have been unable to find info on ovals/footy grounds near the cruise ship terminal in Noumea. Is there anywhere where my son can do some kicking on our visit on New Year's Day?

• Diving while visiting from a cruise ship

Nouméa Dec 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Does anyone know of any Noumea Dive Centers that cater to cruise ship customers who want to dive while there for a one day visit on a cruise ship?

2 Answers Dec 14, 2014 at 11:28 PM
    • VISITING ISLE DES PINS & NOUMEA

Nouméa Oct 19, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Wondering best currency for local shopping (we are Australian visiting on a cruise ship early next month) and interesting tourist spots / souvenirs / recommendations, only a day in each port. Is it easier to book tours on the ship ? I realise that they are more expensive but given time restrictions could be easier ?

1 Answer Oct 20, 2014 at 1:44 AM
    • Gift giving

New Caledonia Sep 13, 2014 at 7:31 PM

We will be visiting in October. I was wondering what is acceptable as a gift for village elders. Cloth seems to be to most often mentioned but would it be acceptable to offer something else like writing pads and pencils, art supplies or insect repellant, soaps etc. also very keen to go spear fishing but cannot find any info about this, only about scuba diving. Thanks.

2 Answers Sep 14, 2014 at 2:44 PM
    • Page de luengo

Lifou Aug 30, 2014 at 8:33 PM

How do I get there from where the cruise ship tenders dock? Would really appreciate any advice!

• Isle de Pines

Île des Pins Jul 27, 2014 at 10:51 PM

I was told of a tour of the island which included a lovely seafood lunch organised by a local travel group. Do you know of it and who to contact

• fishing gear

New Caledonia Jul 19, 2014 at 1:00 AM

Is fishing gear expensive compared to Australian prices or cheaper more like US prices?

• Possible visit

New Caledonia Jul 3, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Hoping to go to NC in August, flying from Brisbane. Looking for a good 4/5* hotel with beach, diving and near enough to forest area for treks and especially butterflies. Any ideas?

Antony Moore

2 Answers Jul 9, 2014 at 2:50 AM
    • Mount Panié

Massif du Panié Jun 12, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Does anyone know who the company are that run the tour at Mount Panié are?

• what is shopping like in Noumea

Nouméa Jun 3, 2014 at 10:45 PM

what is shopping like in Noumea

• LinnyB-Norfolk Island

Nouméa May 24, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Do we need to tip in Noumea? How can we find a quality jeweler and where?

• Merebin's Profile Photo

Recommendation for New Caledonia

New Caledonia May 23, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Off to New Caledonia soon for a short holiday. Would like to spend 1-2 nights somewhere else on Grand Terre that is not Noumea - the rest of the trip will be spent there. I like hiking and spending time outdoors. I'm happy to hire a car or travel by bus. Any suggestions?