change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Rats in Kalaw-Inle Lake trek?

Kalaw 7 hours ago

Hello everyone,

This may sound like a bit of a strange question. I was very excited about doing the Kalaw-Inle Lake trek until I read a review from someone saying the house where they stayed at a village was full of rats. I am EXTREMELY afraid of rats, to the point that if this is the case I won't do the trek at all.

I understand that you may encounter a rat here and there when out and about and despite my phobia I can cope with it if I can "get away" from them if out in the open, but the thought of having rats running around me while I sleep is too much.

Did anyone else encounter any rats during your trek? All and any information very very appreciated as I was ready to make bookings already but this may change my travel plans a fair bit now.

Thanks in advance!!!
      Ale

more
    • Sinosphere's Profile Photo

Best national parks in Burma (Myanmar)?

Myanmar (Burma) Nov 13, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Hello!

I'm planning to go maybe in Burma in winter and I'd like to visit some national parks. Burma seems to be a particularly untouched wildlife-rich country but sadly I found very little informations about the national parks in this country...

- I'm planning to go above all in the center of the country and along the Tenasserim peninsula. Including of course the apparently beautiful Lampi Marine National Park. About this park: is it easy to find ferries to go on Lampi Island or maybe on the surrounding islets (such as Cockscomb Island) to practice snorkelling? What are the best spots for snorkelling/scuba diving in Burma?

- I love rainforest, hiking, mountains, mangroves (canoe), etc... Can you suggest me some some nice natural places to have this kind of environment in Burma and of course observe wildlife?

- I'd love to explore the Khakaborazi National Park. I guess I'm not enough experienced to climb the summit of course (5881 m sounds a bit perillous for me!) but I'd like to hike all around on the first foothills to see maybe some snow-capped mountains, cloud forests and alpine meadows.... But it that simply possible? It seems very remote, I don't even know if there is any camps, trails or simply roads to go there! Plus it's located in the center of the Kachin State, and this region is often considered as a no-go zone in Burma because of violent ethnic tensions. What is true?

Thank you in advance :)
      XXX

more
    • shavy's Profile Photo

Best beach

Myanmar (Burma) Nov 10, 2016 at 3:09 PM

I have my itinerary for three weeks and half and I would like to include a beach (Ngapali) on the last days before we flying back home, but I read somewhere that resorts are closed from May to October (rainy season) anybody knows about this?

Thanks 

more

Is Burma a safe destination / Is it easy to travel there?

Myanmar (Burma) Nov 11, 2016 at 12:34 PM

Hello!

I'm planning to go maybe in Myanmar this winter for 2 weeks and I would like to travel basically throughout the country but I've two crucial questions for this trip:

- I tried to get informed about the political situation of the country and I've to admit that the ethnical tensions in Myanmar are quite preoccupying. Our ministry of foreign affairs publised a map about the no-go zones in Burma and they suggest not to go in most of the border regions which represents about 50% of the whole country. Did the situation improved with the election of Aung San Suu Kyi? Are those tensions still strong? Should I feel concerned as a tourist or it's all about between separatists and army? I would like for example to visit the Hkakabo Razi National Park but it seems truly impossible when I see it's located in the heart of Kachin State...

- About the transportations... I guess it's impossible to rent a car in Myanmar... Is it possible to travel easily? Is it dangerous? I heard a lot about frequent deadly bus or train accidents! BTW is it possible to travel quickly by bus or should I be ready to spend 2 days to connect 2 very close cities by bus? Is it possible to rent small motorbikes in some places like seaside resorts for example?

Thanks ;)
      XXX

more
    • fast ferry from Katha to Mandalay

Katha Nov 8, 2016 at 7:13 PM

Hi , does anyone have departure times from Katha for the fast ferry to Mandalay ?

more

Popular Myanmar (Burma) Travel Answer Locations

• Rats in Kalaw-Inle Lake trek?

Kalaw 7 hours ago

Hello everyone,

This may sound like a bit of a strange question. I was very excited about doing the Kalaw-Inle Lake trek until I read a review from someone saying the house where they stayed at a village was full of rats. I am EXTREMELY afraid of rats, to the point that if this is the case I won't do the trek at all.

I understand that you may encounter a rat here and there when out and about and despite my phobia I can cope with it if I can "get away" from them if out in the open, but the thought of having rats running around me while I sleep is too much.

Did anyone else encounter any rats during your trek? All and any information very very appreciated as I was ready to make bookings already but this may change my travel plans a fair bit now.

Thanks in advance!!!
      Ale

1 Answer 29 minutes ago

Best national parks in Burma (Myanmar)?

Myanmar (Burma) Nov 13, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Hello!

I'm planning to go maybe in Burma in winter and I'd like to visit some national parks. Burma seems to be a particularly untouched wildlife-rich country but sadly I found very little informations about the national parks in this country...

- I'm planning to go above all in the center of the country and along the Tenasserim peninsula. Including of course the apparently beautiful Lampi Marine National Park. About this park: is it easy to find ferries to go on Lampi Island or maybe on the surrounding islets (such as Cockscomb Island) to practice snorkelling? What are the best spots for snorkelling/scuba diving in Burma?

- I love rainforest, hiking, mountains, mangroves (canoe), etc... Can you suggest me some some nice natural places to have this kind of environment in Burma and of course observe wildlife?

- I'd love to explore the Khakaborazi National Park. I guess I'm not enough experienced to climb the summit of course (5881 m sounds a bit perillous for me!) but I'd like to hike all around on the first foothills to see maybe some snow-capped mountains, cloud forests and alpine meadows.... But it that simply possible? It seems very remote, I don't even know if there is any camps, trails or simply roads to go there! Plus it's located in the center of the Kachin State, and this region is often considered as a no-go zone in Burma because of violent ethnic tensions. What is true?

Thank you in advance :)
      XXX

3 Answers Nov 27, 2016 at 2:59 AM

Is Burma a safe destination / Is it easy to travel there?

Myanmar (Burma) Nov 11, 2016 at 12:34 PM

Hello!

I'm planning to go maybe in Myanmar this winter for 2 weeks and I would like to travel basically throughout the country but I've two crucial questions for this trip:

- I tried to get informed about the political situation of the country and I've to admit that the ethnical tensions in Myanmar are quite preoccupying. Our ministry of foreign affairs publised a map about the no-go zones in Burma and they suggest not to go in most of the border regions which represents about 50% of the whole country. Did the situation improved with the election of Aung San Suu Kyi? Are those tensions still strong? Should I feel concerned as a tourist or it's all about between separatists and army? I would like for example to visit the Hkakabo Razi National Park but it seems truly impossible when I see it's located in the heart of Kachin State...

- About the transportations... I guess it's impossible to rent a car in Myanmar... Is it possible to travel easily? Is it dangerous? I heard a lot about frequent deadly bus or train accidents! BTW is it possible to travel quickly by bus or should I be ready to spend 2 days to connect 2 very close cities by bus? Is it possible to rent small motorbikes in some places like seaside resorts for example?

Thanks ;)
      XXX

5 Answers Nov 14, 2016 at 12:35 PM
    • shavy's Profile Photo

Best beach

Myanmar (Burma) Nov 10, 2016 at 3:09 PM

I have my itinerary for three weeks and half and I would like to include a beach (Ngapali) on the last days before we flying back home, but I read somewhere that resorts are closed from May to October (rainy season) anybody knows about this?

Thanks 

3 Answers Nov 27, 2016 at 10:19 AM
    • fast ferry from Katha to Mandalay

Katha Nov 8, 2016 at 7:13 PM

Hi , does anyone have departure times from Katha for the fast ferry to Mandalay ?

8 Answers Nov 9, 2016 at 3:06 AM
    • sheri7's Profile Photo

is it safe enough to go there by myself?

Bagan Nov 7, 2016 at 4:37 AM

Hi there
      I'm a 33 years old photographer. I want to travel to Myanmar, Bagan alone. is the region safe enough for a woman to travel by her own?

8 Answers Nov 12, 2016 at 4:12 AM
    • mostaque's Profile Photo

Small Hotel near Tram

Rangoon Oct 30, 2016 at 9:43 PM

Any one can give me information about a small hotel near lots of tourist or a small distance from tourist hangout place - if there is a community kitchen - like in the hostels, will be very good. Plan to be there 1st week of Jan 2017. Thanks.

1 Answer Oct 31, 2016 at 2:27 AM
    • xaver's Profile Photo

currency and cards

Myanmar (Burma) Oct 29, 2016 at 12:43 AM

Is euro easy to change as dollar? Is it now possible to pay hotels with credit cards?
      Thanks

4 Answers Oct 30, 2016 at 2:01 PM
    • Itinerary help

Myanmar (Burma) Oct 28, 2016 at 8:37 AM

Here is what I am plannig so far. Any suggestions are welcome, only arrival and departure is set.

Day 1: Arriving to Yangon at 11:30am. See Yangon. Night in Yangon

Day 2: Fly to Heho at 8am. Drive to Pindaya – Kalaw. Light trek in Kalaw for a few hours (if not time, do it next morning). Any advice on how to arrange a car from the airport?

Day 3: Drive to Inle. Boat trip on Inle

Day 4: take a boat to Indein

Day 5: take 9:25am flight to Mandalay, arriving at 10am. Right from the airport get a car (taxi?) and go to Innwa, Sagaing, Amapura, if have time to Mingun - can someone recommend a driver/guide? Not sure where to find one in the airport.

Day 6: Mingun (if not the day before), Mandalay (Mahamuni Pagoda , Mandalay Hill , Kuthodaw Pagoda , Shwenandaw Monastery). Take afternoon bus to Bagan

Day 7: Bagan

Day 8: Bagan (Mt.Popa? read negative reviews about it. If not, then what?)

Day 9: morning flight out of Bagan to Sittwe (Mrauk U part is already set).

I am not so sure about 2 days in Bagan. All agents are saying that one full day in Bagan itself is more than enough. If not going to Mt.Popa I can spend this day somewhere else, but where? Third day on the lake seems like too much and I would have seen everything in Mandalay. Or, maybe use that day to go to Pyin Oo Lwyn instead?

Another option is to skip Mandalay surroundings and go from Mandalay to Pyin Oo Lwyn and Hsipaw. Not sure if it makes any sense.

2 Answers Oct 28, 2016 at 5:07 PM
    • nikoskaps's Profile Photo

Where do backpacking /where use agents, 3 week trip central-NE Myanmar by bus/boat/trek (in my 50s)

Myanmar (Burma) Oct 22, 2016 at 2:01 AM

Hi there!
      I plan a solo, almost backpacking, 3 week trip, next month, around central – northeast Myanmar, trying to minimize or even better :) exclude the travel agents (maybe not possible - nor wise!).
      My initial idea is to do a loop Bagan –Mandalay – Hsipaw – Inle lake and back to Yangon, by public transport, a bit of boat rides where it is interesting, some easy trekking to experience nature and local villages, while keeping budget costs low as possible, maybe 30-50 $/day?
      Could you please suggest a rough idea about where is it possible and effective cost/travel-wise, to do everything independently, and where it worth to use agents?
      I am in my 50s, still enjoying backpacking independent travel, as I’ve always been doing, and yet trying to cope with the difficulties that may occur. Luxuries are not my priority at all, but I’d enjoy some ease here and there, if it is cost / time / and travel-quality worthwhile. I hope, by this, I managed to communicate my complicated thought, well to you :) .
      I already started studying a couple of guidebooks, but it would hugely help to get a first guidance from you guys, so I focus my search and planning of the rest of the many details for this itinerary, to the right direction.
      Thank you in advance!
      Happy travels!!
      Nikolas.

15 Answers Oct 27, 2016 at 5:01 PM
    • xaver's Profile Photo

Long neck women tribes

Myanmar (Burma) Oct 2, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Do you know if there are tours leaving from Bagan or Mandalay which include a visit to Kayan villages? As far as I could understand there are excursions but from Inle lake.

3 Answers Oct 2, 2016 at 4:05 PM
    • CEP1863's Profile Photo

Tour guide or driver

Mandalay Sep 13, 2016 at 9:45 AM

Hi
      Does anyone have any personal recommendations for a local tour guide and/or driver in Mandalay. I will be there for one and a half days, possibly a further morning and would like to arrange something so as to get the best out of my limited time.

Thank you

Clare

4 Answers Nov 7, 2016 at 5:48 AM
    • aepagsuyuin's Profile Photo

Thailand - Myanmar - Laos for 4 weeks

Myanmar (Burma) Sep 8, 2016 at 6:14 AM

Hi all!

Im going to travel next month in Thailand - Myanmar - Laos. Can you pls help me plan my itinerary.

Oct 4 Mnl-Bkk (Air)
      Oct 6 Bkk-Rgn (Air)
      Oct 13 Rgn-Bkk (Air)
      Free day - land travel to Laos for 7 days or so the. Back to Bkk before oct 25
      Oct 25 Bkk-Mnl (Air)

I want to know what, how, where to go around each places. Any suggestions is much appreciated.

Cheers!
      Ae

2 Answers Oct 22, 2016 at 3:46 AM
    • fast ferry to mandalay

Katha Sep 3, 2016 at 12:05 AM

Anyone have info on the fast ferry to Mandalay?

3 Answers Sep 3, 2016 at 5:34 PM
    • Day time bus Bagan to Yangon

Bagan Aug 23, 2016 at 11:12 PM

Please could anyone give advice on day time bus ticket from Bagan to Yangon. I got information that it is only Shwe Mandalar normal bus which costs you 19.99 dollars by advance booking. Will it be cheaper if I buy the ticket through a hotel in Myanmar (that I understand sells bus tickets as well)? I will first visit Mandalay for 2 nights, and then Bagan for another two nights, and finally Yangon for 4 nights. I will buy the ticket through my hotel in Mandalay for the Bagan-Yangon part if possible. Thank you.

4 Answers Oct 1, 2016 at 1:12 AM
    • Questions about myanmar

Myanmar (Burma) Aug 2, 2016 at 1:48 AM

I am planning to visit Myanmar for 5 days and in touch with 2 agencies for the same itinerary.
      Please help me with some reviews about : Myanmar Shalom ( www.myanmarshalom.com ) and Tour Yangon ( www.touryangon.com )
      Thank you very much

3 Answers Aug 3, 2016 at 10:13 AM
    • yangon Tram

Rangoon Jul 12, 2016 at 11:46 PM

Does anyone have the timetable & route for the new tramway in Yangon?

4 Answers Oct 1, 2016 at 1:17 AM
    • capelkay's Profile Photo

Bagan to Inle Lake

Myanmar (Burma) Jul 6, 2016 at 11:15 PM

OK got my basic route now and fine tuning.

So my question is - the best route from Bagan to Inle Lake.
      my thoughts were catch bus to ? overnight - then to Kalaw for two nights giving me a whole day to explore Kalaw. Train to Schwenyaung, and down to Inle Lake. Considered treking but heard the train ride was pretty impressive.
      Traveling late August into September.
      Look forward to hearing your suggestions.

4 Answers Jul 8, 2016 at 8:24 PM

Yangon to Bagan

Myanmar (Burma) Jul 6, 2016 at 11:09 PM

OK got my basic route now and fine tuning.

So my question is - the best way (most interesting and varied) route from Yangon to Bagan.
      I have allowed for a one night stop over to avoid a long hall on a bus. Possibly Nay Pyi Taw. And could possibly extend to two nights if there was a worthwhile detour to get to Bagan.
      I am traveling in late August - is the weather likely to cause delays on the route or is it ok to book accommodation now as apposed to along the way.
      Look forward to hearing your suggestions.

1 Answer Jul 6, 2016 at 11:59 PM
    • melly1234's Profile Photo

Most up to date Myanmar guide book?

Myanmar (Burma) Jul 3, 2016 at 9:05 AM

Hi I am going to Myanmar in a couple of months. I hear it's changing rapidly. Does anybody know of the most up to date guide book I can buy please?

2 Answers Jul 3, 2016 at 11:34 PM

When and where to book

Myanmar (Burma) Jun 5, 2016 at 6:43 PM

Greetings all.
      Off to Myanmar in Late August, September. Low season. 2 people.
      After flicking through several guide books the prices of things seem to go up daily.
      Have been to Vietnam where I went on a 3 day tour for $50p/p to see same itinerary in travel magazine back home for $400 p/p
      My question is
      1. Is Myanmar really expensive or am I economically better off to book at hotel receptions as I go?

2. Any recommendation for value for money tours. I don't mind paying if it is not to be missed.

3. Is it realistic to book hotels etc as I go or should I look at pre booking from home?

I have traveled independently throughout Vietnam on three occasions and Malaysia many times.

I am not on a tight budget but would hate to arrive there to find I had feathered some corporate office in a totally irrelevant country. Would rather shop local so to speak. And make my & go further.

Really looking forward to your feedback
      Enjoy the day
      Capelkay

3 Answers Jun 6, 2016 at 11:42 AM
    • RodolfoBrasil's Profile Photo

Myanmar (travel guide)

Myanmar (Burma) May 30, 2016 at 2:25 PM

(Google translator)

Hello friends,
      I intend to travel to Laos, Thailand and Myanmar in November and as I do not speak English, I am looking for a guide of these countries in Spanish or Portuguese (PDF). If any of you have the possibility of sending me this stuff will be very grateful.
      Happy travels to all !!!

• First trip to Myanmar

Myanmar (Burma) Apr 27, 2016 at 11:07 PM

What would a reasonable itinerary be for a first trip??

10 Answers May 3, 2016 at 3:48 AM
    • boasnovas's Profile Photo

MTS tour company?

Myanmar (Burma) Mar 14, 2016 at 1:20 PM

I am planning my trip to Myanmar. Has anyone used MTS travel? Is it reliable? Any other tour company suggestion?
      thanks

2 Answers Mar 16, 2016 at 12:55 PM
    • justmarried2's Profile Photo

How many days?

Mandalay Mar 6, 2016 at 7:59 AM

How many days should I stay in Mandalay? How much would a Taxi be for a day?
      What would you recommend?

Thank you Rob

7 Answers Mar 23, 2016 at 2:09 AM
    • Pa-o english speaking guide

Shan State Feb 22, 2016 at 2:12 PM

Can anyone recommend an English-speaking guide in Nyawngshwe who belongs to the Pa-o community?

1 Answer Mar 8, 2016 at 2:45 AM
    • Where to stay in Inle Lake? -- bungalows?

Inle Lake Jan 29, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Hi, I heard there are nice bungalows to stay in at Inle Lake. Does anyone have info on these? Or any nice guest houses or hotel? $30 - $60 range for 2 people. I'm fine with something away from a touristy area as long as there is transportation to get around. Thanks!

1 Answer Jan 29, 2016 at 4:11 PM
    • Guest house/Hotel/Airbnb in Mandalay?

Mandalay Jan 29, 2016 at 10:29 AM

Hi,
      Looking for a place to stay in Mandalay that is in a good location to sites but not noisy - $30-$50 range for 2 people. CLEAN is important. Any suggestions?

2 Answers Jan 30, 2016 at 3:39 PM
    • Flights from Bagan to Yangon - Where are they???

Myanmar (Burma) Jan 29, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Hi,
      I need a flight that gets into Yangon around 10:30 a.m. I found several of these when doing research (Yangon Airways, Asian Wings, Golden Myanmar) yet when I go to their websites directly - NO FLIGHTS! Does this sound familiar to any of you? I can't seem to trust that any of the flight - times, fares that I find are even valid. Thank you

1 Answer Jan 29, 2016 at 10:22 PM
    • Trains & Buses

Myanmar (Burma) Jan 28, 2016 at 12:14 PM

Hi,
      How do I find train and bus lines/schedules online for Myanmar? I'd like to check them for routes between Inle Lake, Mandalay, and Bagan.

Thank you!

2 Answers Jan 28, 2016 at 4:39 PM