Mount Hood

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Amber Spiders in Oregon Forests

Oregon Jul 10, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Are amber spiders in Oregon poisonous? How dangerous are they? Thank you.
      pinterest.com/pin/5704091090...

more
    • Trying to put together a 7-10 day trip to explore Washington and Oregon

Portland Yesterday

The plan is to fly into Portland or Seattle and fly out of the other city.
      We will rent a car and want to definitely see the highlights that are most reasonable given our time constraints.
      I've heard the Oregon coast is amazing. Also heard about the hiking in the gorge!
      As for Washington - I know the winery Chateau St Michelle is nearby - that may be more doable.
      My boyfriend has never been to Seattle so I want him to see the market etc.
      But I would also love to see some of the whales and not sure if trying to squeeze in any of the islands is worth it or reasonable.
      We are foodies and hope to experience the each city for atleast a day a half plus some excursions.
      Any suggestions you can offer about routes to take - things to see and do and or a reasonable itinerary for 7 days is awesome. We don't want to come home exhausted but we also aren't afraid to pack a lot into a day and want some unique experiences that we can't have in other states!
      Thank you!

more
    • GyuriFT's Profile Photo

Amtrak (Coast StarLATE) on-time performance from LA, public transportation to the airport

Eugene Jun 23, 2016 at 1:39 PM

Hi,

1) We are coming from the southern direction on Coast Star"Late", pardon, Coast Starlight.
      A while ago the on-time performance used to be pretty bad - how it is now?

2) I discovered, renting a car from the Enterprise or Hertz near the Amtrak station and returning it back at the PDX in Portland means quite hefty one-way fees. Same about returning it to the Eugene airport.
      I do not see a lot of public transportation possibilities.
      The "plan B" is quite nasty:
      - rent the car for a day at the Hertz or Enterprise near Amtrak station in Eugene
      - reserve a car from a European car rental gateway (Amtrak station is not on their list!) from Eugene airport to PDX one-way, that avoids one-way surcharges.
      - my wife drops me off the next day at Eugene airport, I pick up the rental car there, we follow each other back to Amtrak and return the car to Hertz / Enterprise

That works, except it is quite inconvenient. A taxi from Amtrak station to the airport seem to be in $30 range or more. I do not see any bus.

What to do than? Proceed with that inconvenient two-car-rental-follow-each-other trick?

more
    • where to go for scenic hikes/lodging

by Kushmaa Online Now Jun 16, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Hi, mi maa and her sister are going to Mt. Hood area... any recommendations for nice nature trails, hiking... with scenic beauty of meadows and creeks? they are older ladies, so not too hardcore! and also for lodging?
      big thanks!!!
      ONELOVE

6 Answers Jun 28, 2014 at 7:08 PM
    • JJfromNJ's Profile Photo

Climbing Mt. Hood

by JJfromNJ Online Now Sep 29, 2010 at 12:21 PM

I am interested in climbing Mt. Hood with a friend in mid October. Neither of us have much mountaineering experience, although I have summited Kilimanjaro and a few smaller peaks in the Adirondacks. Some sources say that after July, conditions become hazardous. Is it too dangerous to attempt a climb this time of year? Should we hire a guide or can we do it ourselves? It's a short trip, so we want to limit it to a 1 day hike if possible. I assume we would start at the Timberline Lodge?

I'm kinda surprised not to find clear info on this online, just looking for someone to point me in the right direction. Thanks.

3 Answers Oct 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM
    • Backpacking

by eallee Online Now Jul 15, 2006 at 6:48 AM

I want to be properly prepared for a 6 day backpack in the MT. Hood area.
      What will the temp. ranges be the first week of August? How low in the night ~~high in the day. Changes of rain?

1 Answer Jul 26, 2006 at 8:53 PM