VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Milford Sound Travel Answers

change location

How cold in Novemeber

by KJS349 Online Now Oct 28, 2010 at 4:31 PM

will I have to waear a winter coat while hiking in November...Is it cold in the huts at night..unguided

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: How cold in Novemeber

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Oct 28, 2010 at 4:38 PM

November is late spring and heading into summer. Day time temps will be around 20C. I would say that non-winter coat weather.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Josilver's Profile Photo

by Josilver Online Now Oct 28, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I did the Milford track in November - It snowed!!!!! Be prepared for all seasons in one day. I suggest thermals, gloves and a beanie also. Hiking in the snow is absolutely beautiful - enjoy.

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now Oct 28, 2010 at 7:57 PM

my mother did it some years back and it rained a lot - it can rain a lot in those parts

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Nov 12, 2010 at 12:30 AM

New Zealand prides itself of offering four seasons in a day. The Milford Track certainly is a prime destination where this could happen. Be prepared for everything weather-wise.

At the moment it has been lovely for weeks and weeks - but sprinkled with ice-cold southerlies which have covered the mountains in snow on a few days. This looks beautiful from a distance but certainly is no fun when you are hiking in alpine regions.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines