VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Travel Answers
Mexico

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Xenses- worth it?

Cancún Jan 4, 2017 at 8:49 PM

Is Xenses worth going to?

more
    • iceangel86's Profile Photo

Traveling to Cancun from Chicago with 4 month old baby- First trip with baby!

Cancún Jan 15, 2017 at 2:45 PM

Hi,

My husband and I will be traveling for the first time with our 4 month old baby. We have been to Cancun before, however, never with a baby! Can you please let me know what things I should be taking with or any tips.. I am nursing the baby, We will be staying at the all inclusive Royalton Riviera Resort.

1) I am planning on taking a stroller and carseat and baby carrier

2) Suncreen?? I hear I can't put it on a baby - any tricks besides not taking her out until later afternoon/evening.

3) Swim suit and flotie???or swim diaper- I was thinking about having her in a flotie with us supervising.

4) I am assuming we can't really do any excursions or activities?

5) any tips?

more
    • Tour questions

Cancún Jan 4, 2017 at 8:47 PM

I've done so much research and now I turn to the experts---We want to zip line, ATV, snorkel, cenotes, raft in caves with stalactites and stalagmites. It seems like X-plor has all of this. We love nature. We don't care about tours with food or shows. We also want to swim with dolphins.
      If we do xplor, do we also need to do xcarat? Xelha? What combo tour should we do with xplor?
      We want to snorkel in isla-mujeres. Where can we do that? Where can we rent a golf cart there? What private beach is a must in cancun or isla-mujeres? What is unique to do at night? Thank you in advance!

more
    • Grevil's Profile Photo

Central Historical area safe to stay?

Mexico City Jan 10, 2017 at 5:10 AM

My husband and I plan to stay in Mexico City in April (first visit to Mexico) and would like advice on the most interesting and safest part of the city to stay - we were thinking maybe stay in the Central Historical district? - any info 'for' or 'against' - we would be grateful.
      Also what sort of weather can we expect?
      Many thanks,

more
    • Driving from San Diego

Rosarito Dec 26, 2016 at 8:35 AM

How safe is it to drive to roserato from San Diego? I have a 2007 Ford Focus. It would just be my husband and I we are 65 year old. I have read some travel warnings that imply it's possible to get pulled over at road stops with impersonators that rob you. I just wanted to take a day trip to rosarito and Puerto Nuevo for lobster and come home.
      I was also thinking of riding into Tijuana, but we are a little scared we could be star get because we are older. Please advise.

more
    • what pharmacy carries actavisa

Tijuana Dec 20, 2016 at 5:19 PM

What pharmacy do they have in stock with acatvisa

more
    • To Tijuana for the night

Tijuana Dec 24, 2016 at 5:53 PM

No passport or Birth certificate. I am white. Just going for a couple of hours. Can I? What is a 20 dollar Visa?

more
    • Crocodiles or Alligators?

Cabo San Lucas Jan 3, 2017 at 3:45 PM

Are there any crocodiles or alligators in Cabo? I'm traveling with small children and just found out that Puerto Vallarta has them. I want to avoid the issue.

more
    • piglet44's Profile Photo

Which phone?-stealing

Mexico Dec 27, 2016 at 2:03 AM

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question. Is it safe to take my mobile with me to Mexico? I know that the word "safe" will have everyone jumping. I do actually have two phones- an old Galaxy S3 which is slow and annoying and a new LG which is fast. I am considering travelling with the old one because if it's stolen it's less of a loss, however if I need to use my phone a lot obviously the new one is way more convenient. What are the chances of my new LG getting stolen, or worse, me being held up at gunpoint somewhere...(We are travelling around for 6 weeks, from Yucatan down through Chiapas and up to Mex City)

Thanks in advance.

more
    • iceangel86's Profile Photo

Traveling to Cancun from Chicago with 4 month old baby- First trip with baby!

Cancún Jan 15, 2017 at 2:45 PM

Hi,

My husband and I will be traveling for the first time with our 4 month old baby. We have been to Cancun before, however, never with a baby! Can you please let me know what things I should be taking with or any tips.. I am nursing the baby, We will be staying at the all inclusive Royalton Riviera Resort.

1) I am planning on taking a stroller and carseat and baby carrier

2) Suncreen?? I hear I can't put it on a baby - any tricks besides not taking her out until later afternoon/evening.

3) Swim suit and flotie???or swim diaper- I was thinking about having her in a flotie with us supervising.

4) I am assuming we can't really do any excursions or activities?

5) any tips?

2 Answers Jan 16, 2017 at 2:11 PM
    • Grevil's Profile Photo

Central Historical area safe to stay?

Mexico City Jan 10, 2017 at 5:10 AM

My husband and I plan to stay in Mexico City in April (first visit to Mexico) and would like advice on the most interesting and safest part of the city to stay - we were thinking maybe stay in the Central Historical district? - any info 'for' or 'against' - we would be grateful.
      Also what sort of weather can we expect?
      Many thanks,

3 Answers Jan 12, 2017 at 12:19 PM
    • Xenses- worth it?

Cancún Jan 4, 2017 at 8:49 PM

Is Xenses worth going to?

1 Answer Jan 5, 2017 at 1:06 AM
    • Tour questions

Cancún Jan 4, 2017 at 8:47 PM

I've done so much research and now I turn to the experts---We want to zip line, ATV, snorkel, cenotes, raft in caves with stalactites and stalagmites. It seems like X-plor has all of this. We love nature. We don't care about tours with food or shows. We also want to swim with dolphins.
      If we do xplor, do we also need to do xcarat? Xelha? What combo tour should we do with xplor?
      We want to snorkel in isla-mujeres. Where can we do that? Where can we rent a golf cart there? What private beach is a must in cancun or isla-mujeres? What is unique to do at night? Thank you in advance!

2 Answers Jan 5, 2017 at 12:36 PM
    • Crocodiles or Alligators?

Cabo San Lucas Jan 3, 2017 at 3:45 PM

Are there any crocodiles or alligators in Cabo? I'm traveling with small children and just found out that Puerto Vallarta has them. I want to avoid the issue.

10 Answers Jan 4, 2017 at 4:58 PM
    • piglet44's Profile Photo

Which phone?-stealing

Mexico Dec 27, 2016 at 2:03 AM

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question. Is it safe to take my mobile with me to Mexico? I know that the word "safe" will have everyone jumping. I do actually have two phones- an old Galaxy S3 which is slow and annoying and a new LG which is fast. I am considering travelling with the old one because if it's stolen it's less of a loss, however if I need to use my phone a lot obviously the new one is way more convenient. What are the chances of my new LG getting stolen, or worse, me being held up at gunpoint somewhere...(We are travelling around for 6 weeks, from Yucatan down through Chiapas and up to Mex City)

Thanks in advance.

15 Answers Jan 2, 2017 at 1:05 AM
    • Driving from San Diego

Rosarito Dec 26, 2016 at 8:35 AM

How safe is it to drive to roserato from San Diego? I have a 2007 Ford Focus. It would just be my husband and I we are 65 year old. I have read some travel warnings that imply it's possible to get pulled over at road stops with impersonators that rob you. I just wanted to take a day trip to rosarito and Puerto Nuevo for lobster and come home.
      I was also thinking of riding into Tijuana, but we are a little scared we could be star get because we are older. Please advise.

2 Answers Dec 26, 2016 at 1:44 PM
    • To Tijuana for the night

Tijuana Dec 24, 2016 at 5:53 PM

No passport or Birth certificate. I am white. Just going for a couple of hours. Can I? What is a 20 dollar Visa?

9 Answers Dec 26, 2016 at 9:30 AM
    • what pharmacy carries actavisa

Tijuana Dec 20, 2016 at 5:19 PM

What pharmacy do they have in stock with acatvisa

4 Answers Dec 21, 2016 at 12:08 PM
    • New Year's Eve 2016 Isla Mujeres, Cancún

Isla Mujeres Dec 16, 2016 at 1:29 AM

Hi, I am looking for New Year's Eve parties/events for 2016 in Isla Mujeres, Mexico. Searching through the internet, I have only been able to find announcements for previous New Year's parties, but none for this year. Does anyone know if there's something going on, or can help me as to where to look?

Thank you all!

1 Answer Dec 16, 2016 at 11:49 AM
    • Did you have the same experience as mine?

Mexico City Dec 10, 2016 at 3:56 PM

I missed my flight to London on Thursday 11pm at Mexico City airport. OK, Aeromexico reassured me I will be put on the next flight on Friday.
      So I went Friday morning. They said I have a seat, and the ticket price has gone up, so I have to pay 700 us dollars extra. I was under their command as I was the one who made the error. So I paid and took the flight. One quarter of the plane was empty.
      How would you justify this? Was I ripped off? Would you have done it differently?

18 Answers Dec 13, 2016 at 8:04 AM
    • 1 day in Guadalajara - Itinerary

Guadalajara Dec 3, 2016 at 5:14 AM

I know it's ridiculous, but I have one whole day to spend here.
      Any recommendations with hopping route from centro to centro?
      I am only a sightseeing tourist. Thanks

1 Answer Dec 3, 2016 at 9:36 AM
    • TraficTours

Cancún Dec 2, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Has anyone had any experience using TraficTours for airport transportation in Cancun? They are included in my Delta Vacations package and I can't seem to find any information on them.

2 Answers Dec 3, 2016 at 12:34 PM
    • daytrip tours

Mexico City Dec 1, 2016 at 4:02 PM

I am looking for day tours from mexico city to cities like Taxco Pueblo cuernavaca
      any recommendations? I usually use Viatours in my other trips to Europe.

5 Answers Dec 11, 2016 at 1:25 PM
    • taxis in mexico city

Mexico City Nov 28, 2016 at 4:20 PM

does Uber work in mexico city?

also, is there a map of all the sito taxi stands? I don't speak spanish so would have a hard time calling for a taxi.

6 Answers Dec 1, 2016 at 12:09 AM
    • Place to stay in Central Guadalajara

Guadalajara Nov 27, 2016 at 5:21 AM

Is Calle Gigantes 287, San Juan de Dios a convenient place to stay and see the city's attractions?
      Can you recommend others please?

1 Answer Nov 27, 2016 at 6:24 AM
    • Hotels and Area

Puerto Vallarta Nov 23, 2016 at 3:08 PM

What is the best area for an active, 50-year old hetero couple to stay in for our first trip to PV? We want something ON the beach preferably. Someplace nice, but not more than $200/night. Going in early May. We like to party, relax, swim, adventure, people watch, eat good food, and walk to destinations wherever possible. Thanks!

3 Answers Nov 24, 2016 at 12:29 PM
    • tracysimba's Profile Photo

Cancun airport departure tax

Mexico Nov 21, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Hi, we are travelling to Mexico on 10Dec2016 with British Airways and have read conflicting reviews on whether or not we will need to pay a local departure tax of around 900 pesos. Some reviews have said it will be included on our ticket whereas others have said we have to pay it when leaving Mexico. Does anyone know the truth about this? Even the official Cancun website doesn't mention it! If we do have to pay it locally do they definitely accept sterling?

8 Answers Nov 24, 2016 at 10:08 PM
    • All Inclusive Hotel in Cancun or Playa

Cancún Nov 19, 2016 at 5:51 PM

I'm traveling to Cancun in early January and staying the first few days at an studio I rented out on AirBnb. I plan to book a all-inclusive hotel at some point during my trip for about 3 day stay. Is it possible to book a decent all-inclusive hotel on the spot? If so, any recommendation on a hotel for a single male in his 20's?

2 Answers Nov 20, 2016 at 12:40 PM
    • Anyone else traveling Dec 13 - 20?

Cabo San Lucas Nov 18, 2016 at 11:35 AM

I am a single female 36 years old with no children and my bday just happens to fall a week before Christmas. I'm used to my friends and fam not able to travel right before or after Christmas so I end up traveling alone at this time of year.

I'll be in Cabo at the Pueblo Bonito resort all week 12/13 - 12/20 and would love to know that I can meet someone (preferably another female or group) for some meals and activities.

2 Answers Nov 19, 2016 at 3:19 AM
    • Immigration office

Algodones Nov 17, 2016 at 7:54 PM

Is there a Mx Immigration Office and Bank to obtain a FMM ( tourist card) in Algodones? Where is it located. If none there, where is the closest town to obtain one?

1 Answer Nov 18, 2016 at 12:50 PM
    • DRIVING SAFETY

Nuevo Laredo Nov 14, 2016 at 7:44 AM

We are Americans thinking of driving to San Miguel de Allende entering through Reynosa or Laredo.
      My reading of travelers warnings has me TERRIFIED. Are we insane to attempt doing this right now?
      We would be sticking to major highways & have been told to only drive in the day light but we do not currently speak fluent Spanish. ADVICE PLEASE!!!

16 Answers Dec 15, 2016 at 2:44 PM
    • Usctwin's Profile Photo

Weekend Getaway in PV

Puerto Vallarta Nov 7, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Hi VTers! My husband and I are going on a quick weekend trip to PV this weekend. I'm usually so ahead in my planning, but haven't had time to do a single thing yet. I had a few questions I was hoping you might be able to help with.

1. What is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel? I have contacted the hotel to see if they can arrange transportation and am waiting to hear back from them. Is taking a taxi safe? I saw this tip from 2012 and was wondering if it was still valid. Taxi FROM the Airport: Taxis Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Tip - VirtualTourist Was also wondering if we should just go ahead and hire our own car.

2. Is there a good place to exchange money? Or should we do it in the states before we leave?

3. If there was 1 activity you could recommend we don't miss, what would it be?

4. If there was 1 restaurant you recommend we don's miss, what would it be?

Again, our trip is short, we arrive on Friday afternoon and leave Monday afternoon so we will probably just be relaxing most of the time. We haven't had a real vacation without our child in 5 years!

We like the beach, we like to snorkel, we like to learn about the local culture, listen to live music, and love to eat Mexican food! Thank you for any suggestions!

4 Answers Nov 9, 2016 at 6:37 AM
    • Culture/food/beach

Mexico Nov 6, 2016 at 4:36 AM

We are two Brits in our late 50s(boy and girl) looking to spend a week next September somewhere in Mexico conducive to a great blend of beach, town, food and heritage - so not fussy at all. We will have a car.
      All suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated!
      Jim

3 Answers Nov 6, 2016 at 6:36 PM
    • Visa Question

Nuevo Laredo Nov 4, 2016 at 7:48 PM

Once walking over the Laredo border. Taking a bus to Monterey for some sites. Can I just get a visa at the airport in Monterey Mexico book a flight there on the spot and fly out? Ill have my U.S. Passport.

2 Answers Nov 5, 2016 at 9:22 PM
    • Which bundle for data with Telcell?

San José del Cabo Oct 30, 2016 at 7:27 PM

I have bought a dongle from Telcell in San Jose. The cost was enormous compared to UK. The dongle was 600 pesos and 3000 MB data was 300 pesos, and it's 3G. Have I been ;done' because I am not a local? Is there a better package? Pls help1

1 Answer Oct 30, 2016 at 7:40 PM
    • currency exchange

San Luis Potosí Oct 24, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Is there an exchange location on Carranza?

2 Answers Oct 25, 2016 at 6:20 AM
    • My itenerary

Mexico Oct 10, 2016 at 5:02 PM

I have about 7-8 days in Mexico.
      My interests are photography and historical sites.

I am thinking about spending
      4 days in Mexico city with side trips to Puebla and Teotihuacan ruins
      3-4 days in guanajuato - side trips to Morelia and San Miguel

are the side trips doable? or are they too far to enjoy for a day trip?
      Should I just stay in Mexico city and do day trips from there the whole time?
      any suggestions would be appreciated.

10 Answers Oct 16, 2016 at 9:52 AM
    • How much for chichen it's a,and excursions.

Cancún Oct 8, 2016 at 9:31 AM

Hello everyone,

I would like to know how much some of you paid for your excursions in and around Cancun like for example chicken itza,cenotes,s winning with dolphins etc.

Thanks

4 Answers Oct 11, 2016 at 4:35 AM
    • Temporary Accommodation in San Jose Del Cabo

Cabo San Lucas Sep 19, 2016 at 9:37 AM

Hi,

How can I get local information (in English) on rented accom.? I need a reasonably priced place for one year.

Thanks!

4 Answers Dec 16, 2016 at 11:29 AM