The plan is to fly into Portland or Seattle and fly out of the other city.
We will rent a car and want to definitely see the highlights that are most reasonable given our time constraints.
I've heard the Oregon coast is amazing. Also heard about the hiking in the gorge!
As for Washington - I know the winery Chateau St Michelle is nearby - that may be more doable.
My boyfriend has never been to Seattle so I want him to see the market etc.
But I would also love to see some of the whales and not sure if trying to squeeze in any of the islands is worth it or reasonable.
We are foodies and hope to experience the each city for atleast a day a half plus some excursions.
Any suggestions you can offer about routes to take - things to see and do and or a reasonable itinerary for 7 days is awesome. We don't want to come home exhausted but we also aren't afraid to pack a lot into a day and want some unique experiences that we can't have in other states!
1) We are coming from the southern direction on Coast Star"Late", pardon, Coast Starlight.
A while ago the on-time performance used to be pretty bad - how it is now?
2) I discovered, renting a car from the Enterprise or Hertz near the Amtrak station and returning it back at the PDX in Portland means quite hefty one-way fees. Same about returning it to the Eugene airport.
I do not see a lot of public transportation possibilities.
The "plan B" is quite nasty:
- rent the car for a day at the Hertz or Enterprise near Amtrak station in Eugene
- reserve a car from a European car rental gateway (Amtrak station is not on their list!) from Eugene airport to PDX one-way, that avoids one-way surcharges.
- my wife drops me off the next day at Eugene airport, I pick up the rental car there, we follow each other back to Amtrak and return the car to Hertz / Enterprise
That works, except it is quite inconvenient. A taxi from Amtrak station to the airport seem to be in $30 range or more. I do not see any bus.
What to do than? Proceed with that inconvenient two-car-rental-follow-each-other trick?
|All reports are strictly confidential. Please explain why you are reporting this:|