Madagascar

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Crocodiles around Lemur Island??

Andasibe Aug 30, 2016 at 7:28 PM

I know it's only about 10 metres by boat to get to Lemur Island and I've read that an island a little further away has ringtail lemurs. Are there crocodiles in the water around the islands where the lemurs are or just in the crocodile farm itself? Thanks!

2 Answers Sep 5, 2016 at 4:50 AM
    • Car rental

Madagascar Jun 21, 2016 at 2:24 PM

Hi, may any suggest private car rental as I found only international chains in airport for huge pricing. Plan to go Oct/Nov. thank you. Jussi.

2 Answers Jun 23, 2016 at 12:03 AM
    • Emilios.'s Profile Photo

Tana to Toamasina train

Madagascar Jun 21, 2016 at 2:17 PM

Hello there,
      I'm planning a trip from Tana to Toamasina. With excitement I've run into http://www.madarail.mg/.
      I don't know any french, so before translating the whole thing I'm kindly asking for your feedback.
      Does it work and if it does, does it make a stop near Perinet?
      Thanks in advance,
      Emilios

3 Answers Jun 22, 2016 at 4:14 AM
    • Emilios.'s Profile Photo

Tamatave to Sainte Marie boat

Madagascar Jun 21, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Hello,
      I'm planning a trip to Madagascar. I'm looking for an aller-retour boat from Tamatave to Sainte Marie. My search was limited to cap-sainte-marie.com/nos-hor.... Any feedback/alternatives?
      Thanks in advance,
      Emilios

1 Answer Jun 22, 2016 at 12:08 AM
    • Too much packed in? Tana-Toliara

Madagascar Jun 2, 2016 at 9:48 AM

Hi there,
      we are planning to go to Madagascar in September for 2 weeks of adventure and 1 week relaxing.

We had many offers from local tour operators and one that seems to be the best offer is the following. I am just worried that there is too much in the trip so we will actually spend too much time in the car. What would be your recommendation?

Antananarivo Sakamanga B
      11/09 Miandrivazo Princesse Tsiribihina B +/-450km for +/-7hours
      12/09 +/-30km from Miandrivazo to
      Nosy Ampela - Bivouac 1 Nosy Ampela L,D,B Masiakampy for +/- 1hour
      13/09 Belo sur Tsiribihina Sandbank on the riverside L,D,B
      14/09 Bekopaka Bemaraha Olympe du Bemaraha B +/-100km for +/- 4hours
      15/09 Bekopaka Bemaraha Olympe du Bemaraha B
      16/09 Morondava Chez Maggie B +/- 225km for +/- 8hours
      17/09 Antsirabe Chambre du Voyageur B +/- 650km for +/- 8hours
      18/09 Ranomafana Chez Gaspard B +/- 260km for +/- 6hours
      19/09 Fianarantsoa Villa Sylvestre B +/- 90km for +/-2hours
      20/09 Ranohira (Isalo) Isalo Ranch B +/-275km for +/- 6hours
      21/09 Ranohira (Isalo) Isalo Ranch B
      22/09 Toliara Victory Hotel B +/-220km for +/-5hours

2 Answers Jun 5, 2016 at 12:04 PM
    • Vickydesem's Profile Photo

Traveling alone

Madagascar May 30, 2016 at 4:21 PM

Hi!!
      I'd like to travel to Madagascar at least for a month, from late october to december.
      I want to know If it's safe for a girl traveling alone?
      Which places would you recommend me visit?
      I wolud like to go to Some National parks: l'Isalo NP, Ranomafana NP, Andasibe NP, Ankarafantsika NP, Tsingy and Nosy be or some place for diving. You think it's possible? Would it be too difficult or too expensive?
      Thanks!!:)

3 Answers Jun 13, 2016 at 8:11 PM
    • aretenda's Profile Photo

10 day trip in Madagascar

Madagascar May 6, 2016 at 1:46 AM

Would you help me on building an itinerary for a 10 day trip in Madagascar? It will be my first time in Africa.

4 Answers Jun 23, 2016 at 5:09 AM
    • rhbphoto's Profile Photo

Ifaty for a few days

Ifaty Apr 29, 2016 at 6:44 AM

We are considering a trip to Madagascar for 2017. Our guide has put together an itinerary that would end in Ifaty. We have the option to add days there. Is this a good peaceful beach to just hang out and perhaps snorkel for two or three or four days or is it just a beach with a fishing village that is nice for a day?
      Thanks

1 Answer Apr 29, 2016 at 10:12 AM
    • rhbphoto's Profile Photo

Thoughts on Ifaty

Ifaty Apr 28, 2016 at 6:06 AM

Starting to plan our next trip, for 2017 and Madagascar is a possibility. Recently we have always planned our trips to include a few days of "rehab" to relax and digest our travels before returning home. Often we find our selves on some wonderful beach. So is Ifaty a place to unwind and basically contemplate palm trees and blue surf? Snorkeling is a bonus. Thanks.

6 Answers Apr 29, 2016 at 6:26 AM
    • Which city AND region in Madagascar is the most pleasant?

Madagascar Apr 9, 2016 at 10:35 PM

Which city AND region in Madagascar is the most pleasant (pretty, things to do, safe, access to some form of medical care) if you were going to live there and why? How do the major cities/towns compare?

3 Answers Apr 14, 2016 at 10:53 PM
    • GiuliaRamp's Profile Photo

Sharing services and costs for the itinerary: TSIRIBIHINA + TSINGY + MORONDAVA (End June)

Madagascar Mar 8, 2016 at 6:37 AM

Hello,

we are a couple of Italians, Giulia (28 y.o) and Diego (32 y.o).

We are going to Mada this summer from 19th June to 13th July.

We are backpackers on a low budget, but we don’t want to renounce to get the most out of our trip in this amazing country.

One of the things we really don’t want to miss is the Descent of Tsiribihina + Tsingy de Bemaraha + trip back to Morondava (Allée de Baobab).

We are planning to do the aforementioned itinerary from 20th to 26th June 2016 – Starting from Tana (or directly in Miandrivazo, to make it cheaper) and ending in Morondava.

As you may know, it is compulsory to hire guides, porters and a 4x4 with a driver etc. to do this part of the trip

All these services do not come cheap unfortunately....

if we were a group we could share good part of the total expenses – like the driver, the car the guides etc…

We are already in contact with a fantastic guy (Lanto Andrianasolo, Madagascar Tropic Voyage), which is doing everything in his possibilities to find solutions for us to save money (even if this would be less convenient for himself)

One of his very good suggestions is that

and, I say, we could also make new friends, which is great!! :)
      it is also a much more sustainable choice, as more people fit in one car!!!

Obviously if anyone is interested we can make this flexible and work out a soultion that makes everyone happy (in terms of days etc)

We are super laidback, we love people, we love sharing, we love nature and adventure, we adapt to everything, and yeah… strangely enough, we are travellers with no money ☺

Really hope someone will pick this up!

Ciao!! Veloma!!!

Find us on Facebook:

Giulia Rampone

Diego Dondero

6 Answers May 11, 2016 at 10:46 PM
    • Getting to Morondava

Madagascar Jan 25, 2016 at 11:18 AM

hello, what is the best way to get to Morondava from Tana ? Is their any recommended local transport available ?
      thank you for your answers

3 Answers Feb 18, 2016 at 12:37 PM
    • Planning trip for 20 days in April 2016

Madagascar Jan 16, 2016 at 7:02 AM

Hi, we are planning our trip in beginning of April at the end of rainy season. We (2 of us) would like to see as much as possible from Madagascar. We are traveling on a budget level and probably we'll use a public slow transport. Any suggestions for the best itinerary?

3 Answers Feb 18, 2016 at 12:38 PM
    • Route to? How, where and what prices?

Mahajanga Dec 19, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Please advise: what most right way to go from Antananariva to Mahajanga?
      And suitable car transport with driver for 5 adults with baggage? What to do if we need minibus with driver ( may be someone have contact ) from Tana to Mahajanga?

How realy long way to Mahajanga and where to stay at first night ( we have only 6 hour till dawn ). What kind of unexpect "adventures" is waiting us?

And what normal price for it?

2 Answers Feb 18, 2016 at 12:39 PM
    • Planning trip for 4 weeks, Sept-Oct 2016

Madagascar Dec 10, 2015 at 6:24 PM

Hi, we are in the process of research and planning our trip for September- October 2016. Would like to see as much as possible and spend the last 4-5 days relaxing at the beach before we fly home to Australia. Do realise that road infrastructure is poor, so am wondering if we stick to either southern Mad or northern Mad, will fly here and there if needed. Can we book tours once we arrive as much prefer to use local operators rather than international tour companies, also which are the best parks to see a wide variety of wildlife? Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

11 Answers Feb 18, 2016 at 12:40 PM
    • Vatslav1107's Profile Photo

We will go in January to Morondavu-your consultations are necessary

Morondava Nov 10, 2015 at 5:46 AM

Prompt please, what beaches near Morondava. Where you will recommend beach rest in Morondava? What you will advise on inexpensive housing?

1 Answer Nov 10, 2015 at 9:08 AM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

internet access

Madagascar Sep 23, 2015 at 1:11 AM

I would like to know if I get a sim card with data plan, how good is the signal in some national parks? Or in general only big cities will have signals?
      Will be in Tana, The Tsingy, Ifaty, Isalo NP, Ranomafana NP, Antsirabe.
      Thank you!

4 Answers Dec 22, 2015 at 5:27 PM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

appropriate tipping and some food expenses

Madagascar Sep 16, 2015 at 8:04 AM

We are a group of 2, please give me some ideas about tippings at Madagascar. thank you !

driver
      Tour Guide
      NP guide (half day/full day)
      park Guide (is that same as NP guide ?)
      hotel porter
      drinking water
      lunch/meal (average )

5 Answers Sep 23, 2015 at 1:33 AM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

What clothing to pack?

Madagascar Sep 16, 2015 at 6:00 AM

I will be in Madagascar two weeks later and go Bekopaka, Ifaty, Ranomafana and Antsirabe.Would someone let me know what should I pack? Thank you.

4 Answers Sep 22, 2015 at 11:37 AM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

Isalo NP vs Zombitse National Park

Madagascar Sep 13, 2015 at 6:08 AM

Due to some miscommunication, I have my Isalo Park duration shorten from one day to half day. Then I have Zombitse NP as the enroute. Since I will have Ranomafana NP, Anja Reserve, Kirindy Reserve, Analamazotra NP and Peyreiras Reserve. I would like to know if I can skip Zombitse? Thanks.

3 Answers Sep 14, 2015 at 8:33 PM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

Money Exchange

Madagascar Sep 13, 2015 at 5:56 AM

Normally, the exchange rate at airport is not that good. Where in Tana can I get my Euro be exchanged in Ar? Thanks.

4 Answers Sep 13, 2015 at 11:19 AM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

Morondava to Tulear/Ifaty (possible to do by car?)

Madagascar Aug 20, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Day 1: Morondava to Manja and Day 2: Manja to Ifaty

I have various answers from local agents about the above arrangement. Some said it can do by two full-day drive, while more tend to say without 3 to 4 days it's impossible. First of all why I have such request to the agents is that I want to avoid taking domestic flight (price is not a problem but it is not reliable). Secondly I would rather tour back from the south (ie Tulear) back Tana via the RN7 by car (again, avoiding flight) as I need to catch my flight back the other day.

I don't know which side of the agent should I trust. Madagascar road condition is not a thing that I can expect like other places. Please help me for this. Thank you.

4 Answers Dec 19, 2015 at 2:09 AM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

Any local food that I can bring home?

Madagascar Aug 15, 2015 at 6:47 AM

I would like to explore is there any local food product that can represent Madagascar?
      (eg we buy pineapple cake from Taiwan, apricot preserve from Turkey, chocolate from Belgium etc.)

7 Answers Sep 14, 2015 at 1:17 AM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

visa on arrival

Madagascar Aug 6, 2015 at 5:09 AM

How much is it and how long does it take? What documents and how many photos are needed? Thanks.

5 Answers Apr 10, 2016 at 3:26 AM
    • kathymof's Profile Photo

How much coconut (all products) are in the cuisine?

Madagascar Jul 12, 2015 at 2:04 PM

A friend has invited me to travel to Madagascar with her but I am concerned about my allergy to coconut products (coconut, coconut water/milk, coconut oil). How prominent are coconut products in the diet? Is it possible to avoid them in the cuisine or is it in everything like it is in Cambodia? If I asked for food without coconut products, would the cook understand or would I be taking a big risk.

3 Answers Aug 14, 2015 at 4:19 AM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

Nosy Be, Le Sainte Marie or Ifaty?

Madagascar Jul 9, 2015 at 5:50 AM

Want a bit of the beautiful beach in Madagascar, which one of them is recommended? Or in other words, what are the difference? That would help me to plan my route. My travelling period is from late Sep to early Oct. Thank you.

1 Answer Jul 9, 2015 at 9:35 AM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

How likely to see whales

Madagascar Jun 27, 2015 at 8:10 PM

According to my tentative plan, I will be in Sainte Marie from 26/9 to 28/9. I was told there is still 70% to see whales. I would like to know if it is the case? Thank you.

• Poling's Profile Photo

Price of domestic flight of Air Madagascar

Madagascar Jun 27, 2015 at 5:53 AM

Would someone help me to check the fare for the below route? The website of Air Madagascar blocks access from Asia.
      1. Tana to Morondava
      2. Tulear to Tana
      3. Tana to Nosybe (round trip)

Very much thanks for the help.

4 Answers Jun 27, 2015 at 8:05 PM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

Planning for a 2-week trip with guide

Madagascar Jun 23, 2015 at 6:48 PM

Basically my plan is to go with a tour operator (guide + car) for visiting the following in 14 days:
      Tsingy de Bemaraha National park (3days)
      Morondava (Avenue of the Baobabs)
      Isalo National Park (3 days)
      Manakara (by train)
      Pangalane Channel
      Ranomafana National Park
      Antsirabe
      Tanananarivo

1. My holidays will be from late Sept to early Oct so I wonder if I should cut a day or two from the above and go to see whales?
      2. despite that I will rely on my tour operator to arrange the trip for me, any other things that I should pay attention and ask them in specific?
      3. I heard that Air Madagascar is not reliable. From Hong Kong the other best option seems to be Air Kenya. Any comments on Air Kenya? It takes almost 24hours from HK to TRN.

Thanks in advance.

5 Answers Jun 27, 2015 at 10:29 AM
    • Madagascar - your tips please

Madagascar May 25, 2015 at 4:38 AM

Hello,

I would like to ask you for tips in regards what tour operator to use when travelling to Madagascar and what countries I can visit on my way there? I have read that it is best to travel via Paris and fly to Mauritius and from there continue travelling to Madagascar? This way I can visit both countries. Or does anybody have other tips what countries to visit on my way there?
      Also, are you aware of any tour operator which is run locally in Madagascar? I have looked at UK Explorer etc but I think I would prefer a private tour. So far I have found http://www.madagascarwildlifetours.com/ - does anybody have any experience with them? And does anybody have any tips about places in Madagascar other than promoted by the 'typical' travel agencies? So far, I have decided to go the capital, visit several parks to see lemurs, go canoeing and visit several beaches. I would, however, also like to see more of the culture - such as visiting local villages - does anybody have any tips where to go please to get the real experience?

6 Answers Aug 14, 2015 at 1:56 AM