Travel Answers

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Great Barrier Reef - base location

Cairns Oct 18, 2016 at 1:50 AM

Hi - I'm travelling to Cairns for 5 days in the last week of December. This is the last leg of my holiday in Australia and we will be returning to London from Cairns. We are family of 3 with a 11 year old. We are interested in snorkelling and scuba diving in the outer reef and may be some watersports. Not keen on rainforest etc. I'm struggling to find a good base for the GBR exploration. Do I stay in Cairns and take one of the tours (will make it easier flight-wise) or do I stay in one of the beach resorts? Budget isn't a big consideration and a luxury option would be just fine. Many thanks for your help.

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Great Barrier Reef

State of Queensland Oct 1, 2016 at 7:59 AM

I am very interested in snorkeling (not scuba diving) the Great Barrier Reef. So far, I know the better time of the year would be between May and October. Does anyone know, specifically, when the best month to visit is? I'm concerned if there is any particular time when it's more dangerous such as more sharks are in the area because the water temperature changes. Thanks for your help!

• Swimming at Mackay beaches

by jenj17 Online Now Jun 9, 2015 at 12:00 AM

Where can you swim late September? Are there stinger nets?

2 Answers Jun 9, 2015 at 4:44 AM
    • Swimming at Mackay beaches

by jenj17 Online Now Jun 8, 2015 at 11:50 PM

Are there any beaches that are safe to swim at in late September?

5 Answers Jun 9, 2015 at 3:52 AM
    • Dorsettraveller30's Profile Photo

Mackay accommodation

by Dorsettraveller30 Online Now Nov 23, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Looking for accommodation near coach station as arriving by greyhound coach but also convenient for airport?

• Grevil's Profile Photo

Does anyone know about "Jungle Johno's" tours to Eungella N.P.? etc.

by Grevil Online Now May 24, 2009 at 3:36 AM

Hi all,
      Plan to come up to Mackay around start of July. Came across the above tour, but couldn't find any reviews of it. Has anyone heard about it? recommend it?

Also, what are things and places we must see around Mackay? and do we need to hire a car to see them or not.

Many thanks for any info

1 Answer May 26, 2009 at 6:25 AM
    • backpackerbaby's Profile Photo

Brissie to Mackay road trip

by backpackerbaby Online Now Oct 3, 2008 at 6:19 PM

will be driving from Brissie to Mackay soon, would like to stop somewhere in between - any suggestions of where to stop? People suggested TOWN of 1770 but it's a bit off bruce highway (yeah I've a bit time constraint). Any other places you'd recommend me to make stop-overs? I'm prepared to stay AT LEAST 1 night somewhere in between - but of course would like to check out some places as well (no need for going into the water... just check out some spots will do)

any recommendations would be appreciated.

3 Answers Dec 20, 2010 at 8:30 AM
    • Gecko's Rest: Budget Accomodation

by dougie5419 Online Now May 31, 2008 at 8:45 AM

Can someone confirm this accomodation is still open. E-mails are not being returned and reservation request has not been answered either.

Thank You

3 Answers Jun 16, 2008 at 3:14 PM
    • Airport to city centre

by dougie5419 Online Now Nov 10, 2007 at 2:13 PM

Is there a local bus that goes from the airport into Mackay city centre? Looking to link up with Greyhound bus in Mackay.

1 Answer Nov 30, 2007 at 2:49 AM
    • Where to live?

by wyhoe Online Now Oct 28, 2006 at 8:10 PM

Hi, I am in a dilemma as to where to live Mackay or Maryborough? Probably base my decision on a good public primary school big in sports and recreation. Also would like to live near a water inlet for my keen fisherman. Most likely an outer suburb as i have 2 cattle dogs and use to living on the land. If anyone can help would love to hear from you.

1 Answer Dec 20, 2006 at 5:51 AM
    • entertainment

by hkw71 Online Now May 25, 2006 at 4:02 AM

Hi lou, i am coming up next yr for a holiday, i am formally from mackay and would like to know if you know of "phil hewitt", he used to do the karaoke rounds at most of the pubs about 8 yrs ago and i was an avid fan of his and would love to re-create one of my many great nights out at karaoke in the pubs in mackay. cheers.

2 Answers May 31, 2006 at 6:29 PM
    • Mackay ........whats it really like?????

by nisey-102 Online Now Jun 24, 2005 at 7:26 AM

hi im emigrating from the uk to mackay in the near future, can any one please give me any advise as to schools i have 3 children 12, 9 and 4 or any other advise would be greatly appreciated.
      many thanks

4 Answers Jul 5, 2005 at 6:57 AM