Lucerne

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Lucerne and Zurich from December 21 to 25

by Lucy4 Online Now Nov 28, 2016 at 8:00 AM

I am a mom traveling with my three kids, ages 17, 19 and 20. The plan is to take a train from Munich on Wednesday, December 21, arriving in Lucerne at 6 pm. We have a tentative hotel reservation at Hotels Des Alps, but can still cancel with no penalty if anyone had a better suggestion.
      I am slightly overwhelmed at the various options of things to do, and really want this to be an unforgettable experience for the kids. I keep looking at various tours from Viator and other companies to Mt Titlus and Mt Pilatus, but it is still not clear to me which of those two would be more enjoyable for my teen/adult kids.
      We need to end up in Zurich and spend the night there on the night of December 24, Christmas Eve, so that I can take a 7am flight out of Zurich to Barcelona on Christmas morning.

So here are my questions:
      1. Is Hotel Des Alpes in Lucerne a decent hotel in a good location to use as a base for a two days?
      Just thinking one day trip to either Mt. Titlus or Mt. Pilatus, and the other day spent exploring old town in Lucerne.
      Would love suggestions for a restaurant in Lucerne for a nice dinner.

2. What trip from Lucerne would be a better experience, Mt Pilatus or Mt Titlus?
      Should we book a tour with a company or just figure out how to get there on our own? We would do this on either Thursday 12/22 or Friday 12/23 so I am assuming the restaurants and other attractions at the top would not be closed.

3. On the morning of Christmas Eve we will take a train from Lucerne to Zurich. So with just one day in Zurich, can anyone suggest what area to stay in and what to do...as in is there a good guided tour of Zurich that would last a few hours, or are we better off just picking a nice hotel in a walkable area and exploring that on our own. Are most of the shops and restaurants closed on Christmas Eve? I would actually like to stay in a nice hotel since it is Christmas Eve, and would love restaurant suggestions for a very nice Christmas Eve dinner in Zurich. So I would love hotel and restaurant and things to do in one day, please.

I know this a lot to ask but it is getting close and I need help and need to get these thing booked.
      Thank you very much!

more

Near Lucerne

• Lucerne and Zurich from December 21 to 25

by Lucy4 Online Now Nov 28, 2016 at 8:00 AM

I am a mom traveling with my three kids, ages 17, 19 and 20. The plan is to take a train from Munich on Wednesday, December 21, arriving in Lucerne at 6 pm. We have a tentative hotel reservation at Hotels Des Alps, but can still cancel with no penalty if anyone had a better suggestion.
      I am slightly overwhelmed at the various options of things to do, and really want this to be an unforgettable experience for the kids. I keep looking at various tours from Viator and other companies to Mt Titlus and Mt Pilatus, but it is still not clear to me which of those two would be more enjoyable for my teen/adult kids.
      We need to end up in Zurich and spend the night there on the night of December 24, Christmas Eve, so that I can take a 7am flight out of Zurich to Barcelona on Christmas morning.

So here are my questions:
      1. Is Hotel Des Alpes in Lucerne a decent hotel in a good location to use as a base for a two days?
      Just thinking one day trip to either Mt. Titlus or Mt. Pilatus, and the other day spent exploring old town in Lucerne.
      Would love suggestions for a restaurant in Lucerne for a nice dinner.

2. What trip from Lucerne would be a better experience, Mt Pilatus or Mt Titlus?
      Should we book a tour with a company or just figure out how to get there on our own? We would do this on either Thursday 12/22 or Friday 12/23 so I am assuming the restaurants and other attractions at the top would not be closed.

3. On the morning of Christmas Eve we will take a train from Lucerne to Zurich. So with just one day in Zurich, can anyone suggest what area to stay in and what to do...as in is there a good guided tour of Zurich that would last a few hours, or are we better off just picking a nice hotel in a walkable area and exploring that on our own. Are most of the shops and restaurants closed on Christmas Eve? I would actually like to stay in a nice hotel since it is Christmas Eve, and would love restaurant suggestions for a very nice Christmas Eve dinner in Zurich. So I would love hotel and restaurant and things to do in one day, please.

I know this a lot to ask but it is getting close and I need help and need to get these thing booked.
      Thank you very much!

2 Answers Nov 28, 2016 at 8:17 PM
    • Mt Titlis Maintenance

by LiF306 Online Now Oct 18, 2016 at 8:21 PM

May i know the maintenance period for 2016?

2 Answers Oct 18, 2016 at 9:57 PM
    • Jungfraujoch 9.5 hour tour

by Neelee Online Now Jun 19, 2016 at 1:03 PM

We'll be in Lucerne from 7/23/16 to 7/26/16. Does it make sense to book the "Jungfraujoch - Top of Europe from Lucerne Tour" in advance or should we wait until we arrive and see what the weather is like? We were thinking of taking the tour on 7/24.

Thank you

3 Answers Jun 20, 2016 at 8:59 PM
    • Rigi, Pilatus, Titlis or Jungfraujoch

by leighmjohnson Online Now Mar 28, 2016 at 4:13 AM

Hi Finalising our plans for our European holiday in May and the one thing I keep getting stuck on is which place to visit in Switzerland (Lucerne)
      We have 3 days and would like to take in 2 of the above - Rigi, Pilatus, Titlis or Junfraujoch. I understand Jungfrau is a long way and the most expensive and sounds great - if weather permits.
      I would appreciate any advise on any/all of these places.. I have looked at the Tellpass which looks to be quite economical if visiting Rigi, Pilatus or Titlis.
      We would love to see the scenery, take the cogwheel train and maybe a walk if weather permits. Appreciate any information.

8 Answers Mar 30, 2016 at 1:09 AM
    • chetanamale's Profile Photo

Need Information - Boat trips

by chetanamale Online Now Feb 29, 2016 at 2:26 AM

Friends,

I will be visiting Lucerne and Mount Titlis in coming weeks , I need following help :

1.Coming from Basel airport, where to buy swiss travel pass here ? Do they accept cash or credit card works ?
      I'm coming from Eurozone , so will my euro card will work ?
      2.Need to go to mount titlis from Lucerne and want to cover mix of train and boat ride , please suggest timings
      my tentative date of visit is @end of april -16

Any other tips are welcome

thanks

3 Answers Feb 29, 2016 at 7:09 AM
    • tracyskf's Profile Photo

1 day in Lucerne

by tracyskf Online Now Sep 25, 2015 at 2:53 PM

Is 1 full in Lucerne enough to see Mount Pilatus and main sightseeing in the city?

Mount Pilatus - if I plan to buy the Swiss Travel Pass, is this included? How do I go about - ie what are the public transport to use? How many hours to allocate to see Mount Pilatus?

As for the city - only planning to see main attractions for photos. What are the ones that I should not miss? Thanks!

2 Answers Sep 25, 2015 at 9:36 PM
    • agathi's Profile Photo

Lucerne lake cruise

by agathi Online Now Aug 12, 2015 at 1:48 AM

Hallo. Pls do you have any personal experience on lake cruise at Lucerne lake? As a round short trip I found two options and I don't know which is more scenery. The one is Lucerne-Alpnachstad and the other Lucerne-–Küssnacht am Rigi. Both last 2 hours. And there are also 2 shorter ones, up to Meggen (1,30h) and the other to Kastanienbaum (1h). Thank you.

2 Answers Aug 13, 2015 at 1:29 PM
    • gulnese's Profile Photo

Advice about which mountain tour to prefer?

by gulnese Online Now Jun 16, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Hi again,
      We want to make a ceable car tour in the Alps.
      We have found Titlis cable car in Engelberg and Pilatus golden tour in Lucerne.
      As we are 6 people, it would be quite expensive to make both of them.
      We would like to hear your advices about prefering one to the other.
      Which one is more interesting?
      Thanks a lot

3 Answers Jun 16, 2015 at 11:39 PM

About mount pilatus cable car and train

by gulnese Online Now Jun 16, 2015 at 1:37 PM

Hi,
      We are 4adults and 2 children(ages below 16)
      We will be travelling to Lucern with motorhome and planning to go to Mount pilatus.
      I have searched a little bit in forums but could not be sure.
      One member is telling about gold tour covering cable car,train and boat.But it is a long tour about 9,5 hours about 116 € .
      Where can we get information about tours and prices?
      If we do it by ourselves will it be cheaper?
      And more important is where we can park our motorhome for free and safe?
      Thanks.

3 Answers Jul 7, 2015 at 1:41 PM

About mount pilatus cable car and train

by gulnese Online Now Jun 16, 2015 at 6:22 AM

Hi,
      We are 4adults and 2 children(ages below 16)
      We will be travelling to Lucern with motorhome and planning to go to Mount pilatus.
      I have searched a little bit in forums but could not be sure.
      One member is telling about gold tour covering cable car,train and boat.But it is a long tour about 9,5 hours about 116 € .
      Where can we get information about tours and prices?
      If we do it by ourselves will it be cheaper?
      And more important is where we can park our motorhome for free and safe?
      Thanks.

1 Answer Jun 16, 2015 at 8:04 AM
    • RamkrishnaPaul's Profile Photo

4 nights 3 days..

by RamkrishnaPaul Online Now Jun 10, 2015 at 1:48 AM

we are going to Lucerne for 4 nights in July . Please advise the best places to visit .. How we get the passes or ticket without a long Q. From were we can buy the tickets or passes??

3 Answers Jul 7, 2015 at 1:51 PM
    • day trip to Mt.Pilatus from Luzern

by sallyclark Online Now Jun 8, 2015 at 9:10 PM

I plan to go from Milan to Lucerne. and take a side trip to pilatus . I would like to buy tickets ahead but need to know the following:

1. How much time do I need at Pilatus Krum? Is 2 hours enough up in the mountain? I plan to go early at around 9:30 in the morning and back to Lucerne for some sight seeing in the aftenoon. We just want to see the Swiss Alps and experience the clean air. Is 2 hours enough up in the mountain?

2. So what is there to see up in Pilatus?

3. Do I need to buy the ticket ( return) ahead of time? I plan to choose the bus, gondola and cogwheel option so i experience all of these forms of transportation. However, the sbb website does not let me buy ahead of time ( travelling in OCtober) Please tell me how far ahead can I do it.

4. Will I get lost transferring from one mode of transport to another- meaning will there be clear signs directing me ? I am a senior and is the first time going to Switzerland and taking trains.

5. Please help with identifying which train etc to board so that i will not get lost- ( sometimes the train states the last station , not the one i want to get off)

6. last question- how cold is it in early OCt. up the mountain.? what kind of clothing is needed?

Thank you for you help.

5 Answers Jun 10, 2015 at 7:59 AM
    • distance

by itsarrived Online Now May 25, 2015 at 6:40 PM

how far is the vitzual train station from MT Rigi stop ? sorry about the spelling

3 Answers May 26, 2015 at 3:21 AM
    • TRAIN BETWEEN LUZERN TO ENGELBERG

by utkarsha8 Online Now May 10, 2015 at 10:53 AM

is there any problem for trains between luzern to engelberg? we are travelling from zurich to engelberg on 14 may 2015.
      appreciate early reply.
      thnx n regards.

UTKARSHA

3 Answers May 12, 2015 at 2:13 AM
    • Puneet Gopal

by PuneetGopal Online Now May 7, 2015 at 8:13 AM

We are staying in lucerne from 25th june to 27th june . We need to go to see Trummelbach falls in the morning of 27th june & thereafter reach Basel Bad Bf the same day by 14.00hrs to catch a train for Frankfurt . Is it possible to get a taxi for 7 persons to make this trip at around 7.00AM starting from Roesli Guest House . If so how much would the taxi cost & where should we contact for the booking .Regards .
      Puneet - India

3 Answers May 8, 2015 at 4:57 AM
    • Andrei_fromMoskva's Profile Photo

Getting to Pilatus

by Andrei_fromMoskva Online Now Apr 24, 2015 at 5:29 AM

Hi!

I'm gonna travel to Luzern in mid-May. I find the top of Pilatus is worth visiting.

So, what is the best way to get there? I found two ways — the first one is a cogwheel train, the second is a cableway.

The train seems to me very amazing and its Alpnachstad station is in good location. But according to the prices it costs 72 CHF, which is very expensive. Or it worth? But every 10th ticket is free of charge (so, how it works?). Also the train is out of service now. I wonder to know when it will be launched. In this case, the cheapest way is to take the cableway from Fräkmüntegg station for 32 CHF. The problem is that I have a car. So, is there a parking to leave it near Fräkmüntegg station?

Guys, I need any suggestions and recommendations from you. Maybe you advise smth else...

Thank you! Danke schön! Merci beaucoup! Grazie!

3 Answers Apr 24, 2015 at 10:46 AM
    • RamkrishnaPaul's Profile Photo

Direct and fast way from Lucerne to Venice

by RamkrishnaPaul Online Now Apr 16, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Hi Friends,

Just wondering is there any way to travel from Lucerne to Venice in Direct and fast way in Train?

Regards
      Ramkrishna

4 Answers Apr 17, 2015 at 1:29 PM
    • Hotel parking

by cathy9510usa Online Now Apr 6, 2015 at 3:25 AM

Hi,

Most hotels I've been looking at in the center of Lucerne say "self-parking." However, some have "self-parking for 18 euros with in-out privileges".

I've been assuming the first one means having to go to a parking lot, but am wondering if the second one means a parking lot associated with the hotel in some way?

Can anyone help? My hotel is located on Bruchstrasse, not too far from the lake.

4 Answers Apr 7, 2015 at 12:04 AM
    • Lucerne to Zurich airport?

by Meenumittalmeta Online Now Apr 4, 2015 at 10:26 PM

Hi we are I. Switzerland in June. Staying at interlaken for 5 days ..
      We have 2 days still.. Is Lucerne a good place?
      We have a morning flight at 9am .. Is lucerne to Zurich airport in morning ours doable ?

9 Answers Apr 5, 2015 at 10:03 AM
    • Where is the tickets spot of golden round trip in Lucerne?

by borischen Online Now Mar 12, 2015 at 7:41 AM

I want to buy tickets of golden round trip with Swiss Half Fare card.
      Where is the tickets shopping spot I can find before boarding the boat in Lucerne?
      And totally we are 7 people, should I reserve in advance to avoid missing the boat schedule I prefer because there will be too many people?

3 Answers Mar 12, 2015 at 5:05 PM
    • Mount pilatus advisable in January?

by vinitmuns Online Now Jan 12, 2015 at 7:14 AM

Is mount Pilatus safe to visit in this month? Also, can the tickets be booked online from the net? If yes, please provide the URL or link for the same. Thanks, Vinit

7 Answers Jan 15, 2015 at 4:32 AM
    • Ways to get to Mt Titlis and Mt Pilatus in November

by Irenechinyl Online Now Sep 25, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Hi... I know that the cable cars to Mt Titlis and Mt Pilatus will be close in November for maintainance. What are the alternatives way that I can get to the top of Mt Titlis and Mt Pilatus?

Thank You.

1 Answer Sep 26, 2014 at 5:56 AM
    • From Lucerne to Mt Rigi

by w_maggie Online Now Sep 5, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Hi, can anyone advise if advance booking of tickets is required if i'm taking boat from Lucerne to Vitznau and then cogwheel train to Rigi Klum, coming down via Arthur Goldau station and then back to Lucerne station.

Many thanks!

1 Answer Sep 5, 2014 at 4:15 AM
    • Mt.pilatus in September

by Kamath2014 Online Now Jul 22, 2014 at 1:52 AM

Hi m planning to take a mt.pilatus xcursions on september7th.ll be reaching lucerne from India by 10.oa.m.please guide me as to how to go to pilatus via kreins n return by the cogwheel train back.im taking the golden round trip.as per the reviews, got to know the cable cars and the gondolas don't operate in September due to maintenance....wanna feed back reg this matter.i m hellbent on doin this xcursions

5 Answers Jul 22, 2014 at 5:07 AM
    • Transportation mode n cost

by sawikama Online Now Jul 21, 2014 at 2:30 AM

Hi,

My family kids aged 12 & 9, spouse n self r visiting Lucern for 3 days in Aug. We have the Swiss Rail pass from Zurich to Interlaken to Jungfrau to Lucern to Mt.Titlus and return to Zurich. We would like to visit Mt.Rigis, Weggis, take a boat ride, and other tourist destinations etc ( Would like to walk as much as possible). Would like to know what mode of transport to take and how much would it cost for us for these 3 days.

thnxsn rgds,
      Harold

5 Answers Jul 21, 2014 at 11:24 AM
    • Things to Do in Lucern

by sawikama Online Now Jul 19, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Hi,

I will be spending 3 days in Lucern. I have the Euro pass to visit Mt.Pilates. What other activities are there to do, are a fly consisting of 2 kids aged 12 & 9. Is there any chocolate factory close by which we can visit.

thnxs n rgds,

1 Answer Jul 20, 2014 at 1:20 AM
    • how genuine are bookings of apartments on https://www.airbnb.com/

by nidhi.praveen Online Now Jul 1, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Hi,

I am getting a room for rent in luzern for my stay on https://www.airbnb.com/. Just wanted to confirm how good and genuine and safe is it?

4 Answers Jul 2, 2014 at 8:10 PM
    • Patchwork em Luzern ?

by MarileneHarder Online Now May 14, 2014 at 6:42 AM

Onde comprar materias para fazer Patchwork em Luzern ?

1 Answer May 14, 2014 at 7:13 AM
    • xfer's Profile Photo

How to get to Lucerne from Paris?

by xfer Online Now Mar 21, 2014 at 5:24 AM

I'm assuming the cheapest way is by train. I cant seem to find an alternative other than raileurope which i understand charges slightly higher. I tried SBB's website, i'm not sure if I input correctly, but there is no train service from Paris to Lucerne. Is this a popular route? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!

5 Answers Mar 21, 2014 at 11:41 AM
    • Shopping for KY shoes

by Jimil Online Now Mar 15, 2014 at 4:48 AM

Where can I buy KY shoes in Lucerne & Interlaken? Tks