VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Lima Travel Answers

change location

machu picchu to Lima transport

by Unique82 Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Hi all, im travelling to machu picchu from Cusco after machu picchu i want to go to Lima but to do this bus bus or train do i have to go through Cusco again?. If not can you recommend me any bus companies? Thank you .

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: machu picchu to Lima transport

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Machu Picchu is at the end of the Sacred Valley, a "dead end" so to speak, so yes, you have to return to Cusco for transport out of the area. There are no trains to Lima; only to Puno and of course Aguas Calientes / Machu Picchu, so flying or potentially taking a bus are the only way to go.

We flew, so I can't comment on the bus option.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Yes you will need to go back to Cusco and from there a long hard bus ride. Unless you want to stop along way I recommend you fly.

• hawkhead's Profile Photo

by hawkhead Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Assume you are going into Cusco and on to MP from a destination other than Peru 'cos to get to Cusco you will have to fly from Lima - unless you come the overland route from Puno.

As noted, it is a LONG HARD bus journey from Cusco to Lima, in the order of 21 hours.

• walkietalkie2012's Profile Photo

by walkietalkie2012 Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 3:20 PM

yes its a long way back by bus from Cusco to Lima. The coach company is Cruz del Sur. Get the lower deck seat because it can recline fully. If u can afford it best to fly from Cusco to Lima. Only a couple of hrs flight.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines