Les Diablerets

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Comments/feedback on my 2 days Appenzell area trip

Switzerland Nov 7, 2016 at 4:39 AM

Will be going to Switzerland for 10 days next year in Feb and basically we have planned everything except the last couple of days in Appenzell and would like to ask for your suggestion

At first, we were going to Ebenalp for the cable car, hike and the restaurant but now we will cancel it because even it is available to go the cablecar, its really no point going up since alot of things are closed such as the restaurant and the covered full of snow, so I guess we will come again during summer next time!

So therefore, we decided to go to Santis for a night + cable car. Then the next day Honhen Kasten for the cable car + revolving that turns 360 degrees restaurant. Here is the itinerary and please feel free to give me any comments or suggestion!

Day 8 - Zermatt to St. Mortiz (Glacier Express). Will arrive at 4:30pm, I dunno what excursion we should do, given it will get dark at around 6:30pm anyway. If you can give suggestion what we can do after our arrival to St. Mortiz would be appreciated!

Day 9 - 7am depart from St Mortiz train station. Arrive Säntis location (requires 5 1/2 hour travel by train/bus). Check-in @ the Santis Hotel around 12:30pm. Then go for cable car (which is basically just next to the hotel), enjoy the mountain nearby, do snowshoeing and fun activities for the rest of the day. Dinner at the hotel/enjoy facility at hotel (walking in the snow outside, spa in the hotel etc)

Day 10 - Checkout hotel in morning. Head to Honher Kasten for cable car + for lunch @ the revolving 360 degree restaurant. After that, stay around for 1 hour or so. Around late afternoon, go to Appenzell town and walk for couple of hours till dark & shop closed till 6:30pm. Then head back to Zurich at night before taking the flight back in the next day!

Let me know what you think and its doable!

Thank you in advance!

more
    • Zurich on Christmas Eve

Zürich Nov 28, 2016 at 8:04 AM

Hi, just posted this in the Lucerne forum, but since we are spending Christmas Eve in Zurich I thought it should be posted in Zurich's forum. Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

I am a mom traveling with my three kids, ages 17, 19 and 20. The plan is to take a train from Munich on Wednesday, December 21, arriving in Lucerne at 6 pm. We have a tentative hotel reservation at Hotels Des Alps, but can still cancel with no penalty if anyone had a better suggestion.
      I am slightly overwhelmed at the various options of things to do, and really want this to be an unforgettable experience for the kids. I keep looking at various tours from Viator and other companies to Mt Titlus and Mt Pilatus, but it is still not clear to me which of those two would be more enjoyable for my teen/adult kids.
      We need to end up in Zurich and spend the night there on the night of December 24, Christmas Eve, so that I can take a 7am flight out of Zurich to Barcelona on Christmas morning.

So here are my questions:
      1. Is Hotel Des Alpes in Lucerne a decent hotel in a good location to use as a base for a two days?
      Just thinking one day trip to either Mt. Titlus or Mt. Pilatus, and the other day spent exploring old town in Lucerne.
      Would love suggestions for a restaurant in Lucerne for a nice dinner.

2. What trip from Lucerne would be a better experience, Mt Pilatus or Mt Titlus?
      Should we book a tour with a company or just figure out how to get there on our own? We would do this on either Thursday 12/22 or Friday 12/23 so I am assuming the restaurants and other attractions at the top would not be closed.

3. On the morning of Christmas Eve we will take a train from Lucerne to Zurich. So with just one day in Zurich, can anyone suggest what area to stay in and what to do...as in is there a good guided tour of Zurich that would last a few hours, or are we better off just picking a nice hotel in a walkable area and exploring that on our own. Are most of the shops and restaurants closed on Christmas Eve? I would actually like to stay in a nice hotel since it is Christmas Eve, and would love restaurant suggestions for a very nice Christmas Eve dinner in Zurich. So I would love hotel and restaurant and things to do in one day, please.

I know this a lot to ask but it is getting close and I need help and need to get these thing booked.
      Thank you very much!

more
    • Lucerne and Zurich from December 21 to 25

Lucerne Nov 28, 2016 at 8:00 AM

I am a mom traveling with my three kids, ages 17, 19 and 20. The plan is to take a train from Munich on Wednesday, December 21, arriving in Lucerne at 6 pm. We have a tentative hotel reservation at Hotels Des Alps, but can still cancel with no penalty if anyone had a better suggestion.
      I am slightly overwhelmed at the various options of things to do, and really want this to be an unforgettable experience for the kids. I keep looking at various tours from Viator and other companies to Mt Titlus and Mt Pilatus, but it is still not clear to me which of those two would be more enjoyable for my teen/adult kids.
      We need to end up in Zurich and spend the night there on the night of December 24, Christmas Eve, so that I can take a 7am flight out of Zurich to Barcelona on Christmas morning.

So here are my questions:
      1. Is Hotel Des Alpes in Lucerne a decent hotel in a good location to use as a base for a two days?
      Just thinking one day trip to either Mt. Titlus or Mt. Pilatus, and the other day spent exploring old town in Lucerne.
      Would love suggestions for a restaurant in Lucerne for a nice dinner.

2. What trip from Lucerne would be a better experience, Mt Pilatus or Mt Titlus?
      Should we book a tour with a company or just figure out how to get there on our own? We would do this on either Thursday 12/22 or Friday 12/23 so I am assuming the restaurants and other attractions at the top would not be closed.

3. On the morning of Christmas Eve we will take a train from Lucerne to Zurich. So with just one day in Zurich, can anyone suggest what area to stay in and what to do...as in is there a good guided tour of Zurich that would last a few hours, or are we better off just picking a nice hotel in a walkable area and exploring that on our own. Are most of the shops and restaurants closed on Christmas Eve? I would actually like to stay in a nice hotel since it is Christmas Eve, and would love restaurant suggestions for a very nice Christmas Eve dinner in Zurich. So I would love hotel and restaurant and things to do in one day, please.

I know this a lot to ask but it is getting close and I need help and need to get these thing booked.
      Thank you very much!

more
    • Hwy12HighValley's Profile Photo

Train to Zermatt

Geneva Nov 26, 2016 at 9:11 AM

I am taking the train from the Geneva to Zermatt. The Switzerland train website indicates that luggage needs to be dropped off at the Geneva, Switzerland train station the night before. Am I reading that correctly?

more
    • Contact a souvenir shop

Zermatt Nov 11, 2016 at 9:56 AM

How can I get in touch with Hanny's Boutique? I am trying to buy a silver matterhorn charm.

more
    • Things to do Interlaken and Lucerne

Switzerland Nov 6, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Planning to visit interlaken and lucerne from nov 18 to nov 25 with my 2 year old daughter and wife.Please suggest me with good itenary.

more
    • Day trips from Thun

Thun Nov 4, 2016 at 3:02 AM

We are Australian and have a four day swiss pass left to use and a half price swiss pass. We are staying in

Thun for three weeks and are keen for suggestions of day trips that would give best value using the
      swiss pass and other trips for using the half price pass.

We have so far been to Jungrau and cruised Thun Lake and seen the light show at the Bern Parliament.
      Thanks Ian

more
    • Day trip from Thun to Zermatt

Zermatt Nov 6, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Hi Weather appears okay for a day trip tomorrow Monday 7th nov to Zermatt. We are from Australia and can someone please advise how best we can utilise our day. We are intending to have an early train from Thun.
      Thanks IJ

more
    • Day trip in Les Diablerets

by ewoonyl Online Now Oct 28, 2015 at 7:41 AM

Hi,
      I'm planning to stay a night at Leysin and travel to Les Diablerets for a visit with my 2 kids (aged 9 & 12) and with my sister. What are the 'not to be missed' things to do there?
      I will be there probably around 15 Dec. We won't be skiing. I hope that the kids can do some fun in the snow activities though as we are from Malaysia.
      Thanks.

Rgds.
      Elaine

1 Answer Oct 28, 2015 at 1:01 PM
    • Overnight hiking in Les Diablerets

by cudmore Online Now Apr 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Hi all,

I will be in Les Diablerets for a few days (May 15, 16, 17) and I want to do an overnight hike. Primitive camping with a tent is preferred (if it is possible), municipal campgrounds are my second choice, and staying at a Git/pension is my third.

Depending on the amount of up/down during hiking I can probably do 15 km per day?

So does anybody know of a day-hike in -> camping -> day-hike out around Les Diablerets?

4 Answers Apr 9, 2013 at 3:29 PM