VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Travel Answers
Laurel Fork

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Visiting Kona for Ironman Oct 2017

Kailua-Kona Jan 8, 2017 at 1:39 AM

We live in Perth W.Australia and plan to visit Kona for the Ironman in October (as spectator only) and plan to be there for 2-3 weeks. We regularly spectate at 70.3s and full Ironmans in Australia/Asia, great to watch.

Can anyone please suggest/recommend good location to stay (and possible condos/hotels/airB&B) within easy reach of start and transitions.

Many thanks. Penny

more
    • Anyone know of cabins, not expensive

Pocono Manor Jan 6, 2017 at 9:21 AM

Hey I was wondering if anyone knows of any cabin rentals in the Poconos or near. I'm not looking to go skiing, just horseback riding and just want that country feel! I've never been there but only live about an hour and half away. I just keep getting sponsored places when searching.. And nothing seems suitable

more
    • Six Nations Rugby

San Francisco 3 hours ago

Visiting San Antonio first weekend in February but desperate to watch the England v France game on the 4th. Is there anywhere in San Antonio or immediate area that we cold do this? Many thanks

more
    • Car rental

Central Falls Dec 29, 2016 at 7:52 AM

Can anyone please recommend a reliable car rental company from Prague? 8 of us r planning to visit Prague, Krakow, Budapest,Vienna n Salzburg.
      How is hire car Prague? Seems to have reasonable rates

more
    • Long term parking in Laredo, then taxi to Quetzalcoatl Airport in Nuevo Laredo

Laredo Dec 25, 2016 at 7:23 PM

I'm searching for information on long term parking in Laredo, Tx near the border. Having a hard time finding information on where to park and how much it's likely to cost. Surely someone has done it! Can you give me some info?

Need to take a taxi from the border to Quetzalcoatl Airport (Nuevo Laredo International). Is that do-able?

Final question: any idea how long this likely to take? I've got a flight out from Nuevo Laredo International late afternoon and don't know exactly how to plan it, timewise.

Thank you so much for anything you can tell me!
      Cat

more
    • Coronado Ferry to mainland for touring?

San Diego Dec 23, 2016 at 12:17 PM

Two young seniors spending 4 days in San Diego in February and staying on Coronado. Will have a car. Is it advisable to take the ferry back and forth to see (walk/ taxi) some of the mainland sites? Gaslamp Quarter, Little Italy, perhaps, Balboa Park (Zoo), etc.? How about if we want dinner on the mainland? Or should we drive to most places? Itinerary not set yet.
      Thanks.

more
    • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Between Tallahassee Florida and Summerville SC

United States of America Jan 8, 2017 at 5:57 PM

I have a gap of about 4 days between my grandson's graduation in Tallahassee on Friday or Saturday and my granddaughter's wedding in Summerville SC on the following Saturday. Where can I go and stay for four days that is somewhat between Tallahassee and Summerville. I thought of Jekyll Island, St. Simons' Island, or St. Augustine, but I have been to all those places a couple of times. I've also stayed in Hilton Head for a week (hated it), and visited Savannah. I'd rather be in a small place than a big city.

more
    • Specific Location

Los Angeles Jan 6, 2017 at 6:48 AM

Hi. I posted another question about where to stay but am now more specific with areas. We will be going to Universal one day, Warner Brothers tour, doing things near Hollywood Blvd area, and then exploring other tourist things.

Which area/hotel is better...near Universal City (Studio City hotel) or Hollywood Blvd (Hollywood Celebrity hotel), near but off Hollywood Blvd a bit (Days Inn) or Thai Town (Dixie Hotel)? We will have a car but am thinking one of those.
      Have narrowed it down to one of those based on budget and not being too far from Universal and Hollywood Blvd area. We have Hollywood Celebrity booked (but we can cancel).

more
    • mckinney3's Profile Photo

Quaint Cabins

Vermont Dec 31, 2016 at 12:07 PM

I am looking to find quaint, funky, off the beaten path cabin lodging in Vermont in October 2017.

All clues and tips appreciated.

dan and mary

more
    • Zion - NP: The Narrows early october

Zion National Park Dec 27, 2016 at 8:59 AM

Hello :)

I found out about the Narrows of the Zion-NP and like to visit it. I will be in Zion NP in early October 2017. Is it possible to visit then?
      I found out you have to walk through the water, how cold and high will it be in October?

Thanks!:)
      -jeey

more
    • Best suite

Las Vegas Dec 22, 2016 at 10:09 PM

Heading to Las Vegas on January 26 to 29. Would like to stay in great suite. Thinking palazzo or wynn or balliago. What would you say was the best. Want a nice view. And bedroom.

more
    • Traveling to Door County by plane from NC

Door Creek Jan 3, 2017 at 12:30 PM

Hello. In August of 2017 we will be traveling from Raleigh Durham Airport, NC to Clark Lake in Door County, WI. We are frequent Southwest Airlines fliers, so we would like to use our Southwest earned miles, but are not sure of the best airport to fly to. We know we will be renting a car to reach Door County from whatever airline we select. We are thinking Green Bay or Milwaukee, but are not sure whether SWA travels to Green Bay, or if the difference in cost would make it more economical to drive a rental from Milwaukee. Looks like a 2 1/2 hr drive from there to Door county. Thanks in advance for any help

more
    • kop-queen's Profile Photo

PHX Car Rental transfers, eating and shopping.

Phoenix Dec 28, 2016 at 2:32 AM

i am flying out of Phoenix which is an airport I've not been through previously. Can anyone advise ease of transfer from dropping off (Alamo) car hire and navigating through to Departures Terminal 3? I think it may involve a shuttle - if so how regularly do they run (6:30 - 7:30 am. Travelling alone so no one to share luggage humping with. Potentially I could check in car the night previous and use an airport hotel (would need transfer for that though?) but hoping that traffic will be reasonable at that hour in the morning on a Wednesday even if I had to navigate short stretch of I10 over Salt River? Also too early for breakfast at hotel so any suggestions in Terminal? Guessing that the shopping will be the usual gift oriented and duty free goodies - or should I save back some dollars - wishful thinking that I'll have any!

more
    • paddington28's Profile Photo

Helicopter flights

New York City Jan 2, 2017 at 7:50 AM

Looking at different deals for helicopter flights,am i better of booking in advancing,or do you think i can organise while i am there? Does anyone have any recomendations as well? Many thanks

more
    • South rim Grand Canyon tours

Grand Canyon Jan 2, 2017 at 3:15 AM

Hi

Thinking of driving to grand canyon rather than getting bus, what is the best type of tour to do? Walk/drive?

more
    • Suitable for swimming on Big Island of Hawaii in April?

Hawaii (Big Island) Dec 28, 2016 at 7:05 PM

Can anyone tell me about water temps in Kona/Kohala area during mid-April? Is it warm enough for swimming and snorkeling?

more
    • Road Trip from NJ to Grand Canyon

New Jersey Dec 27, 2016 at 5:53 PM

We are planning a 4 week round trip. We want to see Mount Rushmore and the St. Louis Arch. What else on the route is best to see? What is the best route?

Thank you!

more
    • kop-queen's Profile Photo

A days road trip - Tucson to Phoenix?

Arizona Dec 25, 2016 at 11:24 AM

I have one day to spend heading back to Phoenix for my flight the following day. Rather than head straight up interstate I had thought about a detour to take in the Salt River area - would really like to get a view of the wild horses there if the chance arose. Could do with final night accommodation within an hour of PHX. Any suggestions for route and places to stay would be welcome. Please bear in mind that I am travelling solo so need to be a little aware of safety. Thanks everyone.

more
    • KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

Best site for renting house or Condo Short term?

United States of America Jan 13, 2017 at 9:22 AM

Figured I had better ask this now, as can't later. My husband and I generally travel with a 5-th wheel trailer, but are considering maybe trying out staying in a condo, apartment, house, etc. short term instead in the coming years. This would be for a 2 - 3 week stay in the US. So far I have found HomeAway and VRBO as possible helpful sources. I would appreciate any advice as to if these are the best ones, and/or are there others that are also valuable sources.

more
    • Rental Car GPS replacement

United States of America Jan 12, 2017 at 8:09 AM

We will rent a car in fall 2017 in the USA for about 3 Weeks.

I noticed that all the rental companies want to charge arount 150-500$ for a Navigation System. This is really much, compared to the 1500$ rental cost!!

They will use these standart "window mount" navigation devices i guess.
      We don't want to pay that much, so i was looking for options.

Would you reccomend buying a GPS in an eletronic store?
      I saw a lot of them for like 80-120$, and if you once have one, you can use it on all your future travels in us

Since where not from us, a device that tells us the current speed limit would be nice!:)

more
    • Suggestions while in Alaska

Alaska Jan 6, 2017 at 1:05 AM

Planning a trip to Alaska on 18feb for about 1week. Planning to catch the northern lights. Do you think its the right time? Will fly into Anchorage and will take the train to Fairbank. Will spend a few days there. Any recommended place to visit? Thought of renting a car to move around, is it a good idea? Or good to just join any tours? Will spend a few days too in Anchorage after Fairbank. Any suggestions where and its a must to visit while in Alaska? Top priority is to try catch the northern lights. Recommended place to be? Thanks and hear from all of you.

more
    • miniexplorer's Profile Photo

Hotel, activities, surfing recommendations?

Maui Jan 2, 2017 at 4:13 PM

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've written. Well it's time for another trip. I'm hoping to go to Maui to experience Hawaii for the first time with my husband

I don't know much about Hawaii. Just know they have great coffee and a great place to learn to surf.

Does anyone know of a great hotel near the waters with a nice beach that's also near activities like surfing, snorkelling, hiking, kayaking? We like the adventure type of vacations.

Hopefully to get some ideas and not break the bank.

Thanks.

more
    • airtrain and E line subway at rush hour

New York City Jan 2, 2017 at 8:06 AM

Our flight from London will arrive into JFK at 4pm. I'm assuming clearing immigration/customs/collecting bags etc will take about an hour or so, meaning we will be trying to leave the airport at rush hour. Our hotel is on 42nd street and only 2 mins walk from Port authority bus station on 42nd so I was planning on getting the airtrain to Jamaica and then getting on the E line subway to 42nd street. Does this sound like a bad idea at rush hour as we will also be travelling with suitcases? There's only 2 of us and I don't want to spend a fortune on transfers, and i'm also aware that the shared transfer vans (go airlink etc) don't have a good reputation, which is why i'm leaning more towards the airtrain/subway at the moment.

Any advice would be appreciated :-)

more
    • Travel advice in East Coast

United States of America Jan 20, 2017 at 6:03 AM

Hello Everyone,

Thank you very much for your feedback back in 2015 regarding west coast travel advice. My trip to USA was memorable and its because of your feedback.

Now I will be going to the east coast this year. My tentative travel date is from 26 May - 18 June. I wish to see the east coast. I don't want this trip to be a hectic one so I want to see important places and spend some time in New York just taking it easy. I know this sounds a little vague because you may ask how many days you want to spend where and so on. But I want you to guide me here as you know how many days (approx) I would have in hand. The last few days I want to do some shopping.

I think I should at least go to Boston, New York, DC and Niagara falls. I also wish to visit few good universities there as I wish to pursue a masters in the futue.

Your advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Cheers,
      GR

more
    • Lunch time Seattle

Seattle Jan 2, 2017 at 9:46 AM

What are some good restaurants for Seattle at lunch time?

more
    • Info

by watermike Online Now Apr 3, 2006 at 9:36 AM

Does anyone know how to get to the old Will Turner farm from Laurel Fork? I'm a grandson who was last there in 1962 and would like to return for a visit.