Travel Answers
Latvia

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Amber - where to buy and what to watch out for?

Riga Dec 3, 2016 at 6:47 AM

I am heading to Riga in January and am wondering if anyone has any experience with buying amber? Of course I want a decent deal but I am also told that there is synthetic amber as well. What should I look for or watch out for? Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy it? The Central Market keeps coming up as a place where they sell it, is this a good option? Please advise! I don't want to come back with plastic! Thanks!

more
    • Amber - where to buy and what to watch out for?

Riga Dec 3, 2016 at 6:47 AM

I am heading to Riga in January and am wondering if anyone has any experience with buying amber? Of course I want a decent deal but I am also told that there is synthetic amber as well. What should I look for or watch out for? Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy it? The Central Market keeps coming up as a place where they sell it, is this a good option? Please advise! I don't want to come back with plastic! Thanks!

10 Answers 21 hours ago
    • budget vacation rentals Riga 2017

Riga Oct 5, 2016 at 12:06 PM

Hi Riga,
      We are two retirees and would appreciate your help and advice on finding an apart in Riga for the month of
      august 2017.
      By the owner or agencies etc..welcome.
      Many thanks for your help.

3 Answers Oct 7, 2016 at 11:24 AM
    • luggage storage

Riga Sep 19, 2016 at 10:28 AM

I'm going to stay in Riga for only a few hours, so I was wondering if I could store my suitcase somewhere for a while in order to go sightseeing. Could you please help me?

9 Answers Sep 20, 2016 at 4:13 AM
    • Drayman151's Profile Photo

latvia - riga

Latvia Sep 4, 2016 at 12:50 PM

Hi

we are thinking of going to latvia next may would anyone be able to offer advice and details on this lovely place and yes we like a few beers and good food , we like barcelona so we like to know what is on offer also the nice place to stay with good transport links thanks

4 Answers Sep 23, 2016 at 12:47 PM
    • Mikebond's Profile Photo

9-night trip to the Baltics in October: how many days in Estonia and Latvia?

Latvia Aug 4, 2016 at 3:01 AM

I have booked a cheap return flight from Italy to Riga in October.
      I would like to split my 8 days / 9 nights between Estonia (maybe Finland) and Latvia, but I'm not sure if I'd better stay 5 nights in Tallinn and 4 in Riga or the other way around.
      I'm interested in visiting cities, towns, churches, castles, museums... I will be moving around by train/bus, so I will only go to places that are easy to reach without a car.
      In Estonia, I want to visit Tallinn, Tartu, maybe Narva and Helsinki (all day-trips from Tallinn, Helsinki being a bit more unlikely). Should I add/remove anything?
      In Latvia, I plan on visiting Riga, then take one or two day-trips to Cesis and Sigulda. What else?
      Any advice on how to split my days in the Baltics and what to visit is welcome.
      Thank you,
      Michele

1 Answer Aug 4, 2016 at 11:44 AM
    • sihi's Profile Photo

Riga to Ventspils

Latvia Jul 21, 2016 at 10:13 PM

Hello,

We with 3 small children plan to visit Latvia for 5 days in August. Generally we will stay in Riga. But I think to spend two days+night in Ventspils (ot Tukums?...).
      Is there direct bus or train to Ventspils and Tukums? Better if it would be faster transportation without many stops. Which is better to visit? Ventspils has a beach....

Thanks!

3 Answers Jul 22, 2016 at 6:26 AM
    • 7-10 days itinerary in Latvia

Latvia Jun 4, 2016 at 7:37 AM

Hi,
      I'm thinking of visiting Latvia for 7-10 days in August, by myself (40 y/o woman), by public transportation.
      Except Riga, what would you recommend adding to the list?
      I'm interested in culture and nature, not a big fan of crowded places, and prefer cooler places, without mosquitoes, if possible... ;)
      Thanks,
      Ana.

3 Answers Jun 7, 2016 at 2:10 AM
    • Education

Riga Mar 30, 2016 at 12:00 PM

I'm an Indian girl and planning to study in Riga. I'll be staying there for a pretty long time.Is the city safe for a single girl??

6 Answers Jun 7, 2016 at 4:44 AM
    • Rob61's Profile Photo

Bus from airport

Riga Jan 12, 2016 at 1:15 PM

Thank you all for your help so far, I would like to know if there is a bus service into the old town, my flight gets in at 9:50 pm on a Saturday night and is there a pre paid taxi desk at the air port

2 Answers Jan 12, 2016 at 2:30 PM
    • Rob61's Profile Photo

Bus from airport

Riga Jan 12, 2016 at 12:37 PM

Thank you all for your help so far, I would like to know if there is a bus service into the old town, my flight gets in at 9:50 pm on a Saturday night and is there a pre paid taxi desk at the air port

1 Answer Jan 12, 2016 at 1:26 PM
    • Rob61's Profile Photo

Will there be much snow early Feb

Riga Jan 10, 2016 at 12:16 PM

What is the weather generally like in feb we would like to see the city in snow but heard it is often windy and rainy, and as England have just had the wettest winter on record, if i look my wife some were wet and windy i think my marriage might not last
      Thank you Rob

3 Answers Jan 10, 2016 at 4:22 PM
    • Rob61's Profile Photo

Is Riga ineresting and safe to visit

Riga Jan 10, 2016 at 12:10 PM

My wife and I are in our 50s and are looking to visit Riga and then travel by train to Tillinn we always backpack and have traveled to many places,we feel we have heard a disproportionate number of negitive remarks about how safe these cities are.
      We would appreciate any opinions and advice on this matter
      Thankyou Rob and Jill

12 Answers Jan 11, 2016 at 10:26 AM
    • Any knowledge of Latvia?

Latvia Jan 3, 2016 at 4:07 AM

Well; as the New Year is here, I've decided to try something new and visit a country not many are familiar with. Aster some thinking I've decided upon Latvia, one of the three Baltic states (that's literally what every article about Latvia says first, that it is a member of Baltic States :D ). The problem is, I don't know much about it either. The guide on VirtualTourist (and LOTS of other guides out there) mainly mentions different historical sites/archtecture, which is interesting of course, but I'm more curious about if Latvia offers any active sports/adventure type of entertainment. I've tried searching local (meaning Lavian) sites, but the only thing I found (praise Google Translate! :D :D) is this celosana.lv/galamerki/latvij... which names kiteboarding, surfing and sailing. A good start, but does anyone have any other knowledge on this subject? Or maybe I missed something in the VirtualTourist guides?

3 Answers Jan 10, 2016 at 2:34 PM
    • Help in developing itinerary

Latvia Nov 14, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Hi fellow VirtualTourist,

We would like to ask for your help in planning our trip to both Latvia and Lithuania. We would like to create some itinerary with your input so that we can visit and see those things that you feel best represents the country. We posted something earlier but now have a more definite idea of dates.

We have about 10 usable days between July 4 and July 15 to explore both places. If you feel that it is not enough time for both pls. say so. Our first choice then would be Latvia. My wife’s family hails from Riga.

We would leave from Lausanne/Geneva, Switzerland on July 3. We have to be in Warsaw, Poland on July 15.

In addition to in location itineraries we would appreciate your opinions on the best way to get from Lausanne/Geneva to Riga (assumed start point in Latvia). Best by train, bus or air. If by air which airline, if bus which bus company. Also, best way to get to Warsaw.

We would also welcome thoughts on accommodations possibly for use as our base and accessible to transportation.

We are both curious of people, place and culture. My wife (58yo) is a 5th grade science teacher and I am somewhat retired (66yo) and “always exploring” interesting things. We are in good health and 2 summers ago spent fabulous 6 weeks exploring Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Serbia, Hungary, and southern Poland.

Pls. don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have to help you help us.

Thank you for your time in reading this request as well as for your time in providing a thoughtful response.

Jack and Robin

2 Answers Feb 18, 2016 at 3:02 AM
    • Old Hospital in Bauska

Bauska Nov 9, 2015 at 11:45 PM

Hello,
      My family and I traveled to Latvia a few years ago, and visited my dad's hometown of Bauska. He had not been back since WWII, and we were trying to find the hospital where he was born. We found a medical-type of building, thought to be on the site where a hospital used to be. Any advice to what the name of this place was? It did not seem advanced enough to be an active hospital, but there was a few old stretchers sitting in the hallway. I just want to know what this place was. I think there was a grocery store and a bank on the main road right off to where this place was located.

1 Answer Nov 10, 2015 at 12:11 AM
    • Guide for Riga and surroundings

Riga Oct 24, 2015 at 8:36 PM

Will be looking for a guide (preferably with car) for middle-age couple from July 4 2016 thru July 10th 2016.
      It is possible that we may extend till July 14.

If interested please provide details of experience, references from previous clients and fee.

Thank you.
      Jack

16 Answers Oct 26, 2015 at 1:33 AM
    • bus or train

Tukums Aug 13, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Hi i am going to Latvia from 1st sept to 12th i will be staying in Tukums i was wondering what time does bus or train goes to riga

3 Answers Aug 16, 2015 at 6:24 PM
    • sihi's Profile Photo

cheap hotel, sights

Latvia Jul 21, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Hi!

Can you recomend cheap but more or less good hotel/guesthouse for family (parents + two 2-4 year olds chilren) in the centre or close in Riga?

We would like to visit some small town near Riga (+stay overnight) by bus or train. Maybe Bauska? Sigulda?... other options?

thank you

4 Answers Jul 22, 2015 at 12:44 AM
    • sihi's Profile Photo

Which town to visit near Riga

Latvia Jul 21, 2015 at 5:20 AM

Hi

This weekend we (wife+ 2 children 2-4 y.old) plan to spend in Lavia - 3 days. I think to visit some town not far from Riga for day + night and next day return to Riga. Bauska? Sigulda?....
      It must have good bus/train connection with Riga, max. 1 hour travel.

It mustn't be TOP tourist attraction, just simple town with some interesting/historical sight, local cuisine restaurant, etc. Which town would you recomend? Not expensive/cheap accomodation there? How to get there from Riga bus/train station?

Thank you!

2 Answers Jul 22, 2015 at 3:47 AM
    • mediaqueen's Profile Photo

Lady Taxi airport

Riga Mar 17, 2015 at 4:10 AM

Does any one know this taxi company. I would be arriving late at the airport and I read about this company. I am leary of just taking a taxi at the airport.

3 Answers Mar 18, 2015 at 7:21 AM
    • Riga hotel

Riga Aug 2, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Can anyone recommend a romatic little hotel in Riga? Smart, quite luxurious, near Old Town and shopping. For mature married couple. Thank you!

7 Answers Feb 11, 2015 at 5:54 AM
    • gulnese's Profile Photo

About restaurants where local people eat

Riga Region Jul 5, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Hi,
      I will be in Riga next week for two nights and the tour operator will get us to Lido center to have dinner at a traditional atmosphere.But places that the tour operators mostly get you to,are touristic places that do not have much sense to me.I would like to have dinner at a real traditional place that the locals prefer and also want to spend less money what the meal really worths.
      Could you please send your advices about reastaurant names and if possible about prices.
      Thanks a lot in advance.

3 Answers Jul 6, 2014 at 1:18 AM
    • gulnese's Profile Photo

Any advice is gladly accepted

Riga Jun 25, 2014 at 4:14 AM

Hi to all,
      I will be in Riga for two days and the tour operator advices us to visit Sigulda ,Jurmala, Bauska and Rundela but I am not sure as tours quite often take people to places that don't come first in the list of the places to worth seeing.
      Is these destinations are worth seeing or is there any other place that are prevail in the order?
      Would like to learn what transportation is best (more important cheaper) to visit the above four places and other advised destinations?
      Also would like to have local cuisine for dinner and perhaps have a break in a good pub or beer house.
      But as you would appreciate, touristic places are quite expensive and not always the exact quality.
      I prefer to investigate the city by myself and would be happy to hear all your advices.
      Thank you all for your interest.

18 Answers Jul 9, 2014 at 5:17 AM
    • Riga social life meeting people

Riga Region Jun 17, 2014 at 9:03 AM

hello i am going to riga in few weeks looking forward to visit friendly places where i can meet friendly people . could any one suggest me to what places are riga are friendly for foreigners for meeting locals.any group of friends around looking forward to meet people too please contact me. i only speak english.thanks.

1 Answer Jun 17, 2014 at 1:50 PM
    • cars parking places

Cesis Jun 11, 2014 at 8:10 AM

I would like to know, there is a guarded parking? i want to come with the car and leave it in to parking place.maybie i can get the address?

1 Answer Jun 16, 2014 at 9:00 AM
    • Night club

Jurmala Jun 11, 2014 at 7:34 AM

How is the night life in Jurmala beginning of august? Good bars? Clubs? Girls? Everything is going on in Jomas street? Thanks

• abvideo's Profile Photo

coming to Riga in a cruise

Riga May 27, 2014 at 5:58 AM

do I need to book a tour on the ship or can i do a lot also myself ?
      is the old citycenter far from the cruiseport ?

4 Answers Jun 1, 2014 at 2:45 AM
    • Moiici's Profile Photo

Day trip from Riga to Kandava, Kuldiga and Pedvale Open Air Museum

Kuldiga May 12, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Does anyone know of a tour or a guide that would do the above day trip for me, just 1 person? If so, what would be the cost?
      Thank you,
      Joani Nelson
      I will be in Riga June 12,13,14,15 and could do the trip any one of those days.

1 Answer May 13, 2014 at 12:33 AM
    • Bus from Riga airport to Riga and from there to Salaspils

Riga Region Apr 7, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Hello everybody, pls can u help me?
      I will travel to Salaspils, and i want informations how i will take bus from Riga to Salaspils.
      First of all...the bus from Airport to Riga....where it stop in Riga? and from this point how i will go to start station to take bus from Riga to Salaspils? its easy to do it? Can u give me some details, with roads and maps?
      Thanks for all.
      I love Latvia.

5 Answers Apr 17, 2014 at 1:07 AM
    • sending gifts to Latvia from Canada

Latvia Nov 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Does the recipient of a gift from canada have to pay taxes on it when they receive it in Latvia? Is there any way around this? Thank you

1 Answer Nov 17, 2013 at 12:59 PM