Las Terrenas Travel Answers

change location

How to get to Las Terrenas from the USA

by Rooflayer Online Now Dec 26, 2004 at 7:53 AM

My fiance are going on our honeymoon (alarmingly soon, as far as planning ahead is concerned) in Las Terrenas on the North Shore. We need to get flights from Hartford or New York to the DR, and then get from our point-of-entry to Las Terrenas. Any suggestions on the best way to do this/places to do it from/airline companies to do it with? I'm daunted by the prospect of spending half our budget on airfare (we're headed to the DR, in part, because it's the cheapest accessible warm place) between international flights and charter/island hopper planes, so I'm looking to maximize both economy and ease of travel (two lines that rarely intersect, I know!). Thanks for the help.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Adidi's Profile Photo

Re: How to get to Las Terrenas from the USA

by Adidi Online Now Dec 28, 2004 at 10:23 AM

ok... here's the route that a friend of mine (who's a pilot) told me to suggest Take a flight to SDQ (the code for the "Aeropuerto Internacional Las Americas Jose Francisco Pe~a Gomez" a bit easier! right?) then take another flight (in a dominican airline) to Portillo then Terrenas is about 5kms away from it. I suggest you choose AERODOMCA. the ticket from SDQ to Portillo costs 195 USD. Any other info? Feel free to PM me! :) Take Care, Adriana, La Misma

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • tawildman's Profile Photo

Re: How to get to Las Terrenas from the USA

by tawildman Online Now Jan 1, 2005 at 10:37 PM

I lived in the DR for 2+ years and saw advertised flights from SDQ to Portillo for MUCH cheaper than195, around55 or so...however, you can also take a Caribe Tours bus from Santo Domingo to Sanchez for around7 per person, very comfortable ride, and from there take either a taxi or public transport (pickup truck) up to Las Terrenas; a taxi shouldn't be more than20 USD. When in Las Terrenas be sure to eat at D'Claudio's, a fantastic Italian restaurant! And a trip out to El Salto del Limon, a huge waterfall outside of Terrenas, is a fantastic trip...horseback ride to falls and a big lunch for about15-20 per person...I would recommend going with a local guide rather than a big tour company. Take public transport (pickup or minibus) to El Limon from Las Terrenas, and you will see many signs for guides. And be sure to visit Playa Bonita and Playa Coson, 2 great beaches you can get to with any of the million of so motorcycle taxis in townl.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines