change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Help planning our budget

Chile Oct 9, 2016 at 11:32 AM

We are off to Chile for almost three weeks later this month. We have pre-booked accommodation, internal flights and transfers and lots of tours, so our main expenses will be meals, drinks and souvenirs. I've seen varied recommendations about typical costs so I thought I'd see what VT members suggest. We like to eat in good (but not super fancy high-end) restaurants serving mostly local food, to drink alcohol (but not a huge amount - maybe a couple of drinks per person per evening) and to eat our main meal in the evening. We would usually eat only a very light lunch or skip it altogether if breakfast is large (breakfast is included in all our hotels). We like to buy ourselves a couple of good souvenirs but don't go mad on shopping! We will be spending time in Santiago, San Pedro de Atacama, Puerto Varas, Torres del Paine and Easter Island. Any thoughts please on a sensible daily budget?

Also, what are our chances of being able to use our Visa debit cards in the better restaurants, to save taking everything in cash? We don't want to have to rely on finding ATMs, except perhaps in Santiago. Of course if we decide on using the debit cards we will let our bank know in advance.

Thank you!

• Best time of year to go

Easter Island Oct 7, 2016 at 11:03 AM

When is the best time of year to go? Expense and crowding.

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

Patagonia travel

Punta Arenas Sep 27, 2016 at 6:16 AM

My friend and I are planning a trip in January to Patagonia--unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding a guidebook that focuses on this region and does it well. The initial plan (not yet booked) is to start in Punta Arenas, but is that the best idea? I would be coming from Ushuaia (following an Antarctic cruise) and my friend would be coming from the US, so she's able to fly anywhere. If we do start in Punta Arenas, I'll probably take the bus there from Ushuaia, but maybe we should start somewhere in Argentina?

We are interested in scenery, mild hiking (i.e. not climbing), and wildlife. To be honest I'm not particularly educated about what there is to do down there, how best to organize logistics, possibilities of including both countries in a reasonable time frame, etc. Any assistance is welcome!

• trip to laguna san raphael from puerto chacabuco

by maurosanna Online Now Dec 21, 2009 at 1:38 AM

Is possible to have a tour of one day,about the 10th of january 2010 from Puerto Chacabuco?
      We are two people
      mauro sanna
      my e-mail

• MariusG's Profile Photo

visiting Laguna San Rafael

by MariusG Online Now Oct 31, 2003 at 1:33 AM

Hi, I am preparing for a trip to Patagonia and I have some questions about Laguna San Rafael 1. is it very different from Moreno and Upsala glaciers in Argentina which I plan visiting anyway, in other words does it make sense to spend this little fortune for Laguna San Rafael trip? 2. I was told that there is a one day sail option as well, but I can't find it on Internet, only these very expensive 3-5 day trips - any information? 3. I was also told that there is also a flight option to Laguna San Rafael - any information on that? Thank you, Marius

6 Answers Dec 23, 2003 at 6:25 PM
    • olgatamara's Profile Photo

Laguna San Rafael - how to get there?

by olgatamara Online Now Aug 23, 2003 at 1:45 PM

Hey, I'm going to visit Chile in november. I have the airpass for 3 flights, but two of them will use in the I have one flight left and want to visit Laguna San Rafael. I want to fly from Santiago d. Chile to Coychaique. How can I get to Laguna San Rafael from there and whether it is possible. Problem is that I don't have time for 3 day cruise. Has anyone of you been there? Do you know the prices and conditions?????????? P.S. This picture is a joke....I'm much more attractive.....

4 Answers Sep 8, 2003 at 6:28 PM