VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Kyrenia Travel Answers

change location

international student in girne

by goodstudent Online Now Jan 9, 2007 at 1:16 AM

i will be going to girne to study from feb07.i want to know the general feeling towards blacks as am black and also i want to know whether students are allowed to visit other countries in the eu and uk since north cyprus is still a divided country and not recognized by other countries.
any fast answer will be of help as my parents want me to go to malaysia but i prefer north cyprus because of pro european way of life.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • george5b's Profile Photo

RE: international student in girne

by george5b Online Now Jan 9, 2007 at 3:38 PM

Hello,

As for racism : I don't think Cypriots are any more racisist than any of their neighbours. There's always bound to be some racist somewhere but as far as I can judge, Cypriots are fairly open minded. There are quite a few black students at the North Cypriot universities. In the South there is probably a degree of racism towards people of Indian/Sri Lanki origin.
    As far as travelling to other countries : The technicalities depend on your nationality. If you have an EU-passport, you may pass the Green Line and take a plane from Larnaca to any country you chose. If you are not, then you -cannot- visit the South (there a a few exceptions for North Americans, Australians etc.). That means that you will always have to make a detour via Istanbul when travelling elsewhere. But once you leave the island, Greece is the only country that will really care about whether you have a North Cypriot stamp in your passport.
    Additionally, if you need a visa for travel to Europe (depends on your nationality), you might also face the problem that not all embassies have a bureau in North Nicosia, so getting a visa for some countries might prove difficult.

George

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Kyrenia